HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McGill next coach?

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 07:14 AM
KING

vCash: 500
McGill next coach?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...-rangers-print

Old
04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
"If they don't listen, they don't play. They're out," Fotiu said. "Me and Ryan, our job is to teach. It doesn't matter if you're here for one game or 50. You won't get shorted."

Go Figure

For the third consecutive spring, Glen Sather will conduct a coaching search. If he decides not to look in his own backyard at Ryan McGill, here are a few other candidates:

1. Joel Quenneville. Fired as Blues coach in February after seven consecutive playoff appearances, he will be the most sought-after coach this offseason. The Rangers have not yet gotten permission to speak with Quenneville, who will coach Canada in the World Championships with Rangers interim coach Tom Renney as his assistant.

2. Bobby Francis. Fired as Coyotes coach this season, has the pedigree (son of longtime Rangers president/coach Emile Francis) and is accustomed to working with a young team.

3. Larry Robinson. Rebuffed Sather last summer, saying he wanted to work with a younger club. Rangers are younger, but might it be Sather who Robinson wanted to avoid?

I'd personally prefer the Hartford guys to coach since they know the players and the players know the system, but assuming that doesn't happen. We should seriously consider Robinson or Quenneville.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Personally, I'd be a bit wary of bringing in a coach with only 2 years of pro experience, especially after so many were not enamored with him last year. Coaches don't have long shelf-lives nowadays. There would be nothing wrong with leaving McGill in Hartford for the time being. If McGill were to have 3 more seasons comparable to this year, then I'd feel better about bringing him up to the big club. But right now, I feel like it'd be too much too soon.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Melrose_Jr.

McGill's my number 1 guy, not only because he's deserving, but he's already coaching the players deemed to be the future of this franchise. Let's not make the John Paddock mistake again.

I'm not neccessarily against Quenneville, but I'm weary of the Blue's post-season failures. They're a team that's arguably been a Cup contender since the day he got there and what's he got to show for it? After 8 seasons, getting through 1 playoff round annually, if they get that far, just isn't enough. Apparently, Larry Pleau agrees. Does this guy have the tools to be a Championship coach?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
moosemessier

what the hell ever happened to ted nolan man?! did he kill someone?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
McGill's my number 1 guy, not only because he's deserving, but he's already coaching the players deemed to be the future of this franchise. Let's not make the John Paddock mistake again.

I'm not neccessarily against Quenneville, but I'm weary of the Blue's post-season failures. They're a team that's arguably been a Cup contender since the day he got there and what's he got to show for it? After 8 seasons, getting through 1 playoff round annually, if they get that far, just isn't enough. Apparently, Larry Pleau agrees. Does this guy have the tools to be a Championship coach?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I hear what you are saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Personally, I'd be a bit wary of bringing in a coach with only 2 years of pro experience, especially after so many were not enamored with him last year. Coaches don't have long shelf-lives nowadays. There would be nothing wrong with leaving McGill in Hartford for the time being. If McGill were to have 3 more seasons comparable to this year, then I'd feel better about bringing him up to the big club. But right now, I feel like it'd be too much too soon.

But, I'd have to look at what he's been able to do over the last 6 years of coaching (actually teaching)

He did a great job of turning the Ice into a very good team while he was there and so far has been able to take a Hartford team and turn them into a very very good team in the AHL.

The Natural progression of achieving success is evident most of the youngsters that are battling for roster spots already respect him a great deal as he coached most of them for the better part of the season.

If the rebuild is real, and he's already gotten them to commit to this system he's built, why throw the Org a curve and go in another direction?

While building from within is usually related to the players, coaching should not be left out of that equation. Bringing Ryan up next season and let Renney do what he does best would probably be best for the Org right now.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
fotiu has 6 years of pro coaching, 4 with the ahl club of the sharks and two with the wolfpack! also these two coaches preach accountability, something the rangers past coaches said they did but never applied it! the only problem i have is what role sather will play? he should be told to hire the coaches but that is it, no ted green, no walkie talkie no interfearing on his part as far as how the team is coached and who sits and who dosn't. no saying this guy makes so much money so he can't sit crap! let mcgill and fotiu do their job with o'rielly filling out the coaching staff, or let mcgill choose who he wants as the third coach!

Old
04-02-2004, 11:18 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
It's worse than that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemessier

He got a GM fired

GM's don't care so much when a player manipulates them into firing a coach, but heaven help the coach that does it to the GM

Old
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
moosemessier

thats horsecrap!

#22 on the steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
He got a GM fired

GM's don't care so much when a player manipulates them into firing a coach, but heaven help the coach that does it to the GM

Old
04-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemessier

Yeah...shot himself in the foot. Turn players against the GM and organization and look what happends. Like most people, i think he got a raw deal, but then again i'm not 100% sure of what went down in Buffalo.

I'd like to hear what Park#2 has to say about Nolan

Old
04-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Slewfoot

I don't think Sather will bring in a coach with little to no NHL experience as a head coach. What about Schoenfeld ? He knows the kids from Hartford and he has NHL coaching experience.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
But, I'd have to look at what he's been able to do over the last 6 years of coaching (actually teaching)

He did a great job of turning the Ice into a very good team while he was there and so far has been able to take a Hartford team and turn them into a very very good team in the AHL.

The Natural progression of achieving success is evident most of the youngsters that are battling for roster spots already respect him a great deal as he coached most of them for the better part of the season.

If the rebuild is real, and he's already gotten them to commit to this system he's built, why throw the Org a curve and go in another direction?

While building from within is usually related to the players, coaching should not be left out of that equation. Bringing Ryan up next season and let Renney do what he does best would probably be best for the Org right now.
I agree that building from within isn't limited to just the players, but I'd also say that development time isn't limited to only the players. McGill has 2 years of pro experience and only 1 year of successful experience. I think we've all forgotten that Hartford was not a very good team last year. They dropped 9 points between Paddock's last year and McGill's first. And I recall that Adam and Melnyk were not pleased with the work McGill had done that year.

I'm not saying that McGill is a bad coach. What I'm saying is that bringing him into the NHL right after his first successful AHL season would be rushing him. I'd give him more time in Hartford or maybe even some time as an assistant coach, and then see where we are in 3 years.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I don't think Sather will bring in a coach with little to no NHL experience as a head coach. What about Schoenfeld ? He knows the kids from Hartford and he has NHL coaching experience.
Schoenfeld is currently the GM for Hartford, and from what I've seen and read, he seems to like front office work better than coaching.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:25 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

joel quenneville would be the only coach "right now" (wait til during or after the playoffs to see who, if anybody else, will be unemployed) i would trust as a hire. he has a proven system with solid success in it, he has the resume that coaches often under sather have lacked throughout both his edmonton and ny tenures, he's a universally respected coach and for what it's worth he had good coaching ties going for him (fellow assistant with jacques martin under marc crawford with quebec/colorado).

i attribute his lack of playoff winning to what most others do: that pleau never gave him a high-quality playoff goaltender. this season's blues team has lacked the quality scoring depth of others because of player losses like stillman, v. bure, and rucinsky...hence coach q was gone because "the team needed a shake-up".

mcgill would be a fine choice for the rangers if more qualified alternatives weren't available or hired. i'd put him right there on the level with someone else who'd probably take the job without much reservation: paul maurice

Old
04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
vbox81

I like the idea of Fotiu and McGill. The Mets recently brought up their AAA coach to the big squad and Bobby Valentine led them to a World Series. Especially given the circumstances of the players in Hartford actually being the future of the Rangers, why not bring up the coach that has done so well with them? Just make sure to get senior assistants (keep O'Reilly IMO).

The most important thing, in my mind: Get Green Out Of Here and put Renney back in charge of Development (or put him to pasture too, same difference).

Old
04-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Janerixon

i wouldnt be upset at all if we promoted mcgill and nicky, however this team will still have holik, jagr, kasper, and whatever other vets we sign, how will he get these guys to buy into the system? will they sit also if they dont follow suit? will sather let him sit them? will slats let him sit a ufa he brings in this year? i just dont think mcgill will be promoted because slats does things his way and mcgill is not a top choice, more of a back-up

id be happy with quenville, francis, or especially robinson, who said he wants to coach a younger club... weve got one, so now he may be interested

id alos like to hire nolan, but it will never happen, slats is friends with muckler, nolan is blacklisted, and ive read rumours nolan was suppossedbly messing around with players wives... if thats true, i dont know but those types of rumours will defintely keep gm's from giving you a job, and its sad cause nolan was an excellent coach and is exactly the type of coach that we need, one who plays kids, one who teaches kids, he plays a system, and sits those who dont give it their all

Old
04-02-2004, 04:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
i wouldnt be upset at all if we promoted mcgill and nicky, however this team will still have holik, jagr, kasper, and whatever other vets we sign,
I think that Holik hungers to play in a system and Kasper will have no problem either. Jagr will just have to follow suit. And if the rumor's about Jackass wanting to resign Matty & Simon, they have no problem's playing in a system.

Old
04-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that Holik hungers to play in a system and Kasper will have no problem either. Jagr will just have to follow suit. And if the rumor's about Jackass wanting to resign Matty & Simon, they have no problem's playing in a system.
TB
i know simon and barnaby will do fine in a system... it is the others im not so sure of

holik - he is not the same player that he was in NJ, yeah we dont have a system, but when we tried one under trotts, holik was successful on a line with barnaby and lindros as an offensive force, teams were so busy trying to contain that line, it wasnt like holik was defensive center of old, im not sure how he will adapt to any system

kasper - look at his colorado stint, he was awful, he couldnt play his game, this year with no system, he played his game and was arguably our best or one of or best d-men, im not so sure how he will do in a system

jagr - i have no idea at all, i know he will give it his all because he loves it here, but who knows

then what about the others
poti? if he is back, can he play his game in a system? ask kevin lowe and you will hear, NO

rachunek? he couldnt play the way the sens wanted him to, can he here? i sure hope so, ive liked the way he has played with pock, even though rachunek has looked awful at times, he has looked good at other times also, i think the right coach may be able to make a difference with him, if he is willing to listen

rucinsky? if we sign him i dont know, he was terrible in montreal and dallas, and he was better with the blues, but i dont know. he was great for us to start the year and he does hustle and is a solid 2 way foward, but he takes a good amount of penalties, and i can see mcgill getting annoyed at him quickly

lindros - if back, i cant say i can see him being successful in a defensive minded system, i just cant, i cant see him changing his game

these are all ifs, i think a GOOD coach, keyword being good, we havent had one in sometime, would demand respect and be given it from utes and vets, as for mcgill, he will get respect from the utes and those who want to win or want to be successful, but depending on what vets we have here, im not sure they will follow his rules

i for one hope lindros doesnt come back we need more stability, id deal poti to move up and get another top 15 pick, as for the rest, id just hope holik, kasper, rachunek, jagr, and rucinsky (if re-signed) are willing to do whatever is asked by whoever the coach is

Old
04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
nyr5186

I also feel that making McGill head coach would be too big of a risk, especially with a guy like Quenneville out there for the taking. However, how would you guys feel if McGill was hired as an assistant under Quenneville and Fotiu took over the reigns in Hartford?

Old
04-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Laches

McGill may make a quality NHL head coach someday, but I don't think he's the right choice now. This isn't like bringing a player up where if he starts to struggle, you can simply send him back down.

I'd say that based on the whole Trottier situation, this is not a job for a first-time NHL head coach. Whoever comes in will be inheriting a pretty difficult situation, not so much in terms of player personnel, but in terms of reversing an attitude of complaceny that has festered for the last 7 years. This isn't the time for on-the-job training.

Quenville would be my first choice. It seems a bit silly to me to cite his "playoff failures" as a reason for not hiring him. Let's not put the cart before the horse here, folks. Let's find a coach who can get us to the playoffs first. When we have a team that's making the playoffs but not going as far as it should, then we can worry about issues like that.

And if your criteria for a head coach is a Stanley Cup win, well, the options are few. We missed out on Hitchcock, Burns, Crawford and Hartley, and it would take a monumental first-round disaster for any of the first three of those four to get canned this summer. Lemaire, if he doesn't retire, will return to where he is. We've already tried both Sather and Muckler behind the bench, and we know how that turned out. Even if you wanted to coax Bowman, Crisp or Demers out of retirement, I doubt you could. So that leaves you with two options: Mike Keenan and Larry Robinson. The latter would be an attractive option, but he said openly (and wisely) last summer that he had no interest in the job. The former has openly campaigned for it, but while there's a certain emotional, nostalgic lust for 1994 among some Ranger fans, there's really no rational reason to hire him. He hasn't even been able to win in the regular season consistently since leaving New York a decade ago, never mind the postseason.

After Quenville, I'd look at Bobby Francis or Paul Maurice.

Old
04-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Edge

I dont think McGill comparisons to Trottier are totally fair considering what has been done over the past few months to this team.

Trottier never had anything close to a young nucleus to build from, half the guys McGill coached in Hartford are actually going to be challanging for legit spots this season.

I also don't think Paddock comments are fair because likewise that was a very different Hartford team as well. This team actually had some guys who could still be considered prospects.

in the end i think it comes down to what direction this team is going with. If Slats is going for free agents along the lines of Simon and Barnaby, McGill could work. If he's gonna get cute again, than maybe not.

Despite his age, McGill has been a winner at every level he coaches. I saw great things in Kootenay and I've seen great progress in Hartford. If next years team is indeed going to be younger than he might very well be the best choice.

I dont think ANYONE is expecting this team to win next season, so there isnt as much pressure.

Of course never understimate his not being hired as a plan. With a lockout looming, promoting McGill too early would mean he couldn't work in the AHL and work with players he might someday coach.

IF there is a plan at all, which I am optimistic about, it's that the Rangers take a wait and see approach as to the lockout. Keep McGill in the loop, but don't make anything official until after you know their is a season. There is no reason to make it official until you know something. Let him plan as if the season will go on and if it doesn't you still have the option of sending him to Hartford.

If the Rangers can actually carry their AHL style to the NHL and players know their role, than indeed it might not be as impossible.

But it really depends on what THEY are planning, now what you or I or anyone else is planning.

Who knows with this team anymore. Anything is possible.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Kodiak

On McGill and Paddock...
McGill still had a very veteran-heavy roster in his first year. The only real NHL prospect that McGill had for that first year was Garth Murray, and he wasn't playing all that well. I am not trying to downplay McGill's success this year. He's done a great job. But I am trying to remind everyone that he has not always done a great job, and a few more years with the Wolfpack would not hurt him. Remember, he's only 35.

On Robinson...
When he said he was not interested, he said it was because he would prefer a roster with a lot of young players. If that was true, then he might be interested in coming now. He was interested for a period of time before that statement. But of course, he may have just used that as an excuse because he didn't want to work with Jackass.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:45 AM
True Blue

Quote:
When he said he was not interested, he said it was because he would prefer a roster with a lot of young players. If that was true, then he might be interested in coming now. He was interested for a period of time before that statement. But of course, he may have just used that as an excuse because he didn't want to work with Jackass.
There's more to it than that. The #1 thing is your last statement. Robby DEFINETLY did not want to work w/ Jackass. And in all of his statements from last year, the tone and his words indicated that he had no interest in this team. And I have had enough of those that only come here for the $$$. Yes, Robby is a pretty good coach (a trifle overrated, IMO). But he wanted no part of us twice. Let's not forget that. Don't want to be here the first couple of times? Fine. I have no desire to see him behind the Ranger bench anymore.
But one cannot understate enough the fact that getting a proven NHL coach here is going to be extremely diffucult. Kevin Lowe did not want to follow Jackass here. Schonfeld turned him down. People notice these things. After viewing what he has wrought over the last 4 years, it will be Mission Impossible to get anyone with any kind of track record here. Unless Hitch gets bounced out in the first round, subsequently canned, and would want to stick it to Clarke. It will be very diffucult to land Q. I hope they can, but rather doubt it. The only "name" coach they may have a shot is Francis (name connection...maybe he would want to take over a team his grandfather was a big part of).

Old
04-04-2004, 03:36 AM
charliemurphy

Going after Q is the way to go.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:37 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Yeah...shot himself in the foot. Turn players against the GM and organization and look what happends. Like most people, i think he got a raw deal, but then again i'm not 100% sure of what went down in Buffalo.
He used the race card, pure and simple. That is why he isn't back in the NHL and that's probably what's going to keep him out of it for a much longer period of time.

He made that entire organization look bad by saying that he got fired because he is an Aboriginal. Who is going to want to hire a guy that, if fired, shouts prejudice and discrimination. The answer is nobody.

That, unfortunately, is the real reason he isn't back in the NHL.

Closed Thread