HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I think the time has finally come to replace my old CCM HT2 helmet. Bauer 5100?

Old
09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Pog Form

vCash: 500
I think the time has finally come to replace my old CCM HT2 helmet. Bauer 5100?

That's right, after ten years, time appears to be running out on my beloved black CCM HT2 helmet. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, this was the helmet in the NHL for many, many years. There are still a few players wearing it in the league today, albeit with a modernized "CCM" logo. I've attached a picture if you're still not sure.

Anyway, this is a bit of an emotional decision as the helmet was the first piece of equipment I owned, but it's clear that it needs to be replaced.

I tried on a few newer models at my local hockey store and am fairly certain that I'm going to go with the new Bauer 5100 (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...lmet-5100.html). (I will buy it at my LHS—just using the Hockey Monkey link).

Is there anybody here who has the Bauer 5100 helmet and would like to share their thoughts?

Or maybe some old time hockey players who want to reminisce about my old bucket?

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: gif bbhockey_2042_282320.gif‎ (10.8 KB, 11 views)

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

the 5100 is supposed to be a good helmet, Bauer's top VN design. It hasn't been out for long, so I can't tell you what people think of it because I haven't heard yet.

Should be good though. If there's one thing Bauer does really, really well, it's helmets.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They're really solid if they fit you well. I just picked up a 5500 because the 5100 was a bit too narrow in the temples, but otherwise it would have been my top choice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

^That's a good helmet. Love my 5000 (pre NB version of the 5500, pretty much same exact helmet).

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:39 AM
simnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They're really solid if they fit you well. I just picked up a 5500 because the 5100 was a bit too narrow in the temples, but otherwise it would have been my top choice.
I was pretty narrow there for me too. I've read somewhere that it's because of the screws they used for the earpieces.

I replaced my old HT2 by a Reebok 4k, much wider. My HT2 took some breaking into before it got comfortable as it was a bit narrow.

simnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Heat McManus

We've sold a lot of the 5100s and it's a people pleaser. I'm waiting on mine, hehe (needed a color we didn't have in stock). I'll let you for for sure in a week.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Pog Form

Thanks for the replies!

The reason I'm leaning toward the 5100 is because it felt the most comfortable out of all the helmets that I tried on.

Passed the mirror test too.

Jarick and simnorm, I understand what you mean about the temples; I noticed that as well. I agree that it had something to do with the shape of the earpieces or the screws used for them, but it was only an issue while I was putting the helmet on. Once the helmet was over my ears, it fit perfectly on my head and the ears/temple felt great.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
NYRSinceBirth

It's not the screws, it's the shape of the helmet. You have to pull the ear pieces to get it on your head, it breaks on though. I bought a 5100 the day Heat ordered his, it feels great. Very comfortable, less bulky than my 8500, but maybe a wee bit warmer.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
raganblink

Feels good? - Yes.
Looks good? - Yes.
Go buy it.

Unless you fall in love with the V10, I'd get the 5100 today/tomorrow. Great helmet.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote