HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some stupid playoff musings...

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2004, 03:12 PM
choppystride

vCash: 500
Some stupid playoff musings...

In the spirit of another thread which calls for changes to the point system, I am also proposing some general league-wide changes regarding the playoff format. Not sure if someone has proposed them before, but here they go:

1. How about letting the top 3 teams choose their 1st round opponents from among the bottom 4? I think home-ice advantage alone gives too little reward to the top teams, who often gets stuck facing a team that is red hot, or one which provides a less favorable matchup. The top teams can also base their selection on the lower teams' injury or, say hmm...suspension situation.

Additional reasons for this format:

- Imagine the indignation felt by the 5th place team getting chosen by the 1st place team. If they felt a little indifferent towards the 1st place team before, it should be instantly replaced by animosity. The media would probably stir the pot and make it extra fun.

- The actual draw itself could make for great TV drama. Imagine, 2 days before the playoffs, we have this 1 hour TV show where the NHL commissioner is on a conference call with the relevant GMs. As each GM announces his choice, we place the name of his chosen opponent on a board (like the draft) showing all the matchups. Afterwards, we get instant reaction from all the GMs & players & the whole enchilada...

- Even more radically, we allow the lower teams negotiate sending picks or playoffs-ineligible prospects to the higher teams to avoid being chosen, or perhaps to entice a higher team to pick them if the lower team thinks it's a favorable matchup.

I think this would be so much fun that we should repeat it again in the 2nd round.

2. The higher seeded teams get to choose whether to open at home (2-2-1-1-1) or on the road (2-3-1-1)

3. This last idea is not specifically playoffs-related but I got it after watching it last year.

The NHL has been talkinig about trying to add excitement back into game. I think one very easy thing they can do this is to simply lower the placement of the TV cameras to help the TV audience get a better feel for the speed & intensity of the action.

Case in point: last year, StL vs Vcr was an excellent series. I watched every game on TV. The games played in GM place felt fast & exciting b/c the cameras were placed relatively low that I can get a closer & more "horizontal" look at the action. However, when the games were played in StL, it felt like these same players were skating in slow motion b/c the cameras were so high that I felt like I was looking vertically down on the players.

I think the league should standardize the placement of the TV cameras to ensure that they are uniformly low in all arenas. I think Edm places the camera nice and low. Dallas also places the cameras nice and low but I think they were (unfortunately) moved up a bit recently. Off the top of my head, Det & StL are among the worst with their high camera placements.

Last edited by choppystride: 04-03-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride
In the spirit of another thread which calls for changes to the point system, I am also proposing some general league-wide changes regarding the playoff format. Not sure if someone has proposed them before, but here they go:

1. How about letting the top 3 teams choose their 1st round opponents from among the bottom 4? I think home-ice advantage alone gives too little reward to the top teams, who often gets stuck facing a team that is red hot, or one which provides a less favorable matchup. The top teams can also base their selection on the lower teams' injury or, say hmm, suspension situation.

Additional reasons for this format:

- Imagine the indignation felt by the 5th place team getting chosen by the 1st place team. If they felt a little indifferent towards the 1st place team before, it should be instantly replaced by animosity. The media would probably stir the pot and make it extra fun.

- The actual draw itself could make for great TV drama. Imagine, 2 days before the playoffs, we have this 1 hour TV show where the NHL commissioner is on a conference call with the relevant GMs. As each GM announces his choice, we place the name of his chosen opponent on a board (like the draft) showing all the matchups. Afterwards, we get instant reaction from all the GMs & players & the whole enchilada...

- Even more radically, we allow the lower teams negotiate sending picks or playoffs-ineligible prospects to the higher teams to avoid being chosen, or perhaps to entice a higher team to pick them if the lower team thinks it's a favorable matchup.

I think this would be so much fun that we should repeat it again in the 2nd round.

2. The higher seeded teams get to choose whether to open at home (2-2-1-1-1) or on the road (2-3-1-1)

3. This last idea is not specifically playoffs-related but I got it after watching it last year.

The NHL has been talkinig about trying to add excitement back into game. I think one very easy thing they can do this is to simply lower the placement of the TV cameras to help the TV audience get a better feel for the speed & intensity of the action.

Case in point: last year, StL vs Vcr was an excellent series. I watched every game on TV. The games played in GM place felt fast & exciting b/c the cameras were placed relatively low that I can get a closer & more "horizontal" look at the action. However, when the games were played in StL, it felt like these same players were skating in slow motion b/c the cameras were so high that I felt like I was looking vertically down on the players.

I think the league should standardize the placement of the TV cameras to ensure that they are uniformly low in all arenas. I think Edm places the camera nice and low. Dallas also places the cameras nice and low but I think they were (unfortunately) moved up a bit recently. Off the top of my head, Det & StL are among the worst with their high camera placements.
1. I don't think it has a snowballs chance in hell of happening, but it sounds interesting and could definitely add some spice to the playoffs. I could dig it.
2. Not a bad idea, but I think that scheduling would be next to impossible. To many NHl teams play in buildings they don't own and it would be impossible for these buildings to schedule any other events if they had no idea when the NHL team needed the facility.
3. I don't think it would help all that much, only think that will increase excitement and speed is a crackdown on obstruction and we all know the story with that

Old
04-03-2004, 03:47 PM
polako

i love the idea....the animosity would be priceless!

Closed Thread