HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

THE Line Combinations thread

Old
08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
forty47seven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
In light of the recent trade, and with talk of Demitra being on LTIR...
Quote:
Demitra=LTIR
Where did this "talk" of Demtira being on LTIR come from? The only info on Demitra's injury I've found is from May when he had surgery. The reports indicated a four month recovery period. Which would put him on course to be healthy mid training camp. Even if his rehab takes longer than expected, he probably wouldn't be out long enough to warrant LTIR.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
cc

Assuming Sundin doesn't return

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson Triple S line
Burrows Kesler Demitra (RAP line? whatever...)
Raymond Wellwood Bernier
Hordichuk Johnson Rypien (Hanson)

Mitchell Bieksa
Ehrhoff Salo
Edler O'Brien
Schneider

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Schneider and Ehrhoff will both be in our top 6. SOB will be our 7th, I think, and draw in for Schneider when we need added toughness.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Schneider and Ehrhoff will both be in our top 6. SOB will be our 7th, I think, and draw in for Schneider when we need added toughness.
Chances are one of the defenseman will be hurt. Plus, I think Schneider will be well rested come playoff time.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
ginner classic

It's still ealry to be projecting Line combos but based on what I see of this team, there are going to be some exceptionally interesting trainng camp battles taking place:
  • Wellwood vs Hodgson for #2 Scoring Line Center
  • Shirokov, Raymond, Hansen, Rypien, and Grabner competing for two (#2 scoring left winger OR #1 checking line RW, as well as #4 RW) to three (Demitra injury cover and spare) wing spots. Hansen is really the only player competing in two spots: the RW checking line with Burrows and Kesler and for the fourth line RW.
  • O'Brien Vs. Lukowich for #7 D spot
  • Bernier's progression

The only addition this team should be considering is potentially Sundin. If I was Gillis I would not even think about larger trades until after training camp. That is the first decision point. The second will be when Demitra returns. If the team is still healthy at that point, and there is still some competition, I believe Raymond or Grabner will be moved, and the most likely trading partner is still Nashville. We have what they need (cheap, young scoring line wingers) and they have what we need (prospect defenders). Roussel and Blum are the players the Canucks would look hardest at. I still think Blum is a real possibility if he does not crack the Nashville roster during training camp and they still are struggling for goals and at the 5-6 defence spots. I'd like to avoid the flames for now, but that is how things should play out.

This is certainly going to be the best training camp the Canucks have had in a long time. Lots of intrigue.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
[LIST][*]Wellwood vs Hodgson for #2 Scoring Line Center
Ugh. I hope one of these two isn't on our second line. I don't like our chances if they are. Kesler, Demitra and Henrik are all ahead of them.

Old
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Ugh. I hope one of these two isn't on our second line. I don't like our chances if they are. Kesler, Demitra and Henrik are all ahead of them.
I think he means Kesler's line will be the second line, but more of a checking line. Which makes sense if it is Sedins-Samuelsson, Burrows-Kesler-whoever.

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
I think he means Kesler's line will be the second line, but more of a checking line. Which makes sense if it is Sedins-Samuelsson, Burrows-Kesler-whoever.
Fair enough. I could see Burrows and Kesler playing a hybrid role where they kill penalties while Bernier/Hodgson play the PP.

Old
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I suspect Schneider will be brought along slowly, and most likely be on IR or sitting for the first couple weeks of the season. O'Brien will play in his spot on the bottom pairing, and Lukowich will be the 7th defenseman. When Schneider is ready to return one of Luko or SOB will be moved.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
That is exactly what I meant, yes. The way this team is set up, and without Sundin, Kesler is the second line center. You play the hand you've been dealt and our second line is one that can play huge minutes in a two way role as opposed to a second line being primarily for scoring support. I see a Hodgson or Wellwood centered line as #3, which is where they should be given their curent relative lack of experience or defensive capabilities.

#1 Scoring Line A (Sedins and Samuelsson) - PP1
#2 Two Way Checking Line (Burrows, Kesler, ?) - PK1
#3 Scoring Line B (Demitra or Raymond, Hodgson or Wellwood, Bernier) - PP2
#4 Energy Line (Hordichuk, Johnson, ?) - PK2

I've seen variations of this elsewhere but right now the best fit looks like this IMO with the competitive spots in bold:

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Hodgson Bernier
Hordichuk Johnson Rypien

Fighting for a spot - Shirokov Wellwood Grabner

IR - Demitra

And the D:

Mitchell Bieksa
Ehrhoff Salo
Schneider Edler

O'Brien
Lukowich

Last edited by ginner classic: 08-31-2009 at 03:48 PM.
ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

My thoughts on the lineup based on not making any more moves other than cutting salary, and with Demitra in the lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Burrows - Wellwood - Kesler
Demitra - Hodgson - Bernier
Hordichuk/Raymond - Johnson - Hansen
Raymond/Hordichuk

Edler - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Mitchell
Salo - Schneider
Lukowich
Rome

Luongo
Raycroft

Salary Cap: $56.8 mil before $2.14 mil in bonuses

94eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

So, with Demitra officially missing time to start the season my lineup would look something like this;

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Samuelsson - Kesler - Bernier
Raymond - Wellwood - Hodgson
Hansen - Johnson - Rypien

Spare: Hordichuk

Mitchell - Bieksa
Salo - Ehrhoff
Edler - Schneider

Spare: O'Brien, Lukowich

Luongo
Schneider

According to Capgeek, with this roster we still have approximately $985,000 in cap space. I think carrying 8 defenders would be ideal given how injury prone some of ours are.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
NuxFan09

I'm thinking it'll be something like this:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Samuelsson
Raymond-Kesler-Grabner/Shirokov
Burrows-Hodgson-Bernier
Hansen-Johnson-Rypien

Spare forwards: Hordichuk, Wellwood

Mitchell-Salo
Edler-Ehrhoff
Bieksa-Schneider

7th and 8th Dmen: O'Brien, Lukowich

Luongo
Schneider

With Demitra missing time at the beginning, I think one of Grabner or Shirokov will get a spot on the opening roster. Hodgson, despite the injury rumblings, should make it as well, in which case Wellwood should be waived. As far as the defense pairings go, I really have no clue. The pairings will likely be decided by chemistry between players. I have a good feeling Schneider will outperform Raycroft and he'll get every opportunity to do so as it seems Gillis is high on him making the team.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
When Demitra comes back

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Kesler-Bernier
Raymond-Hodgson-Samuelsson
Rypien-Johnson-Hordichuck

Extra Hansen,Wellwood

Bieksa-Edler
Mitchell-Ehrhoff
Salo-Schneider

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Hansen Kesler Burrows
Raymond Hodgson/Wellwood Bernier
Rypien Johnson Hordichuk

Edler Ehrhoff
Mitchell Salo
Bieksa SOB
Schnieder/SOB

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Samuelsson
Grabner-Kesler-Shirokov
Burrows-Hodgson-Bernier
Hansen-Johnson-Rypien

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Why are some you splitting up the sedins-burrow line? They have great chemistry.

Assuming Sundin doesn't sign, also without Demitra.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Grabner/Shirokov-Kesler-Samuelsson
Raymond-Johnson-Bernier
Rypien-Johnson-Hansen
Wellwood, Hordi, Desbiens, Scatchard, Petrovicky

Salo-Edler
Ehrhoff-Mitchell
Bieksa-SOB
Schneider, Luko, Nycholat, Rome

Luo
Schneider
Raycroft

CANUCKER4LIFE19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

I made a mistake on my previous post. Can't EDIT. Hodgson would be one the third line center position.

CANUCKER4LIFE19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaKovy23 View Post
Why are some you splitting up the sedins-burrow line? They have great chemistry.

Assuming Sundin doesn't sign, also without Demitra.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Johnson-Bernier
Rypien-Johnson-Hansen

Salo-Edler
Ehrhoff-Mitchell
Bieksa-SOB
Schneider, Luko, Nycholat, Rome

Luo
Schneider
Raycroft
I like it but I like Salo and Mitchell together:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Hodgson/Wellwood-Bernier
Rypien-Johnson-Hansen

Salo-Mitchell
Ehrhoff-Edler
Bieksa-SOB
Schneider, Luko

Luo
Schneider

Old
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
That is exactly what I meant, yes. The way this team is set up, and without Sundin, Kesler is the second line center. You play the hand you've been dealt and our second line is one that can play huge minutes in a two way role as opposed to a second line being primarily for scoring support. I see a Hodgson or Wellwood centered line as #3, which is where they should be given their curent relative lack of experience or defensive capabilities.

#1 Scoring Line A (Sedins and Samuelsson) - PP1
#2 Two Way Checking Line (Burrows, Kesler, ?) - PK1
#3 Scoring Line B (Demitra or Raymond, Hodgson or Wellwood, Bernier) - PP2
#4 Energy Line (Hordichuk, Johnson, ?) - PK2

I've seen variations of this elsewhere but right now the best fit looks like this IMO with the competitive spots in bold:

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Hodgson Bernier
Hordichuk Johnson Rypien

Fighting for a spot - Shirokov Wellwood Grabner

IR - Demitra

And the D:

Mitchell Bieksa
Ehrhoff Salo
Schneider Edler

O'Brien
Lukowich
I really like of those line combinations, good thought process as it follows AV's method.

Things will become interesting once Demitra returns and it gets closer to Hodgson's ninth game. Do you add Demitra's skill to the Burrows/Kesler line and bump Hansen off the roster. Or does Demita go to second scoring line and leave Raymond fighting with Hansen checking line. That trio will be going at it for two top nine winger spots and like you said Hansen can also fight for the forth line rightwing spot. Once everything is all said and done, I would not be surprised to see a Raymond for Blum style trade happening. With Grabner and Shirokov looking like they can be offensive injury callup, trading someone like Raymond becomes 'safer'.

I love the look of the top two pairings you did. We all know the Mitchell and Bieksa pairing, they fit very well together and I think Ehrhoff and Salo will fit the same way albeit a different style. That does leave Edler and Schnieder, maybe its the two lefties together that I'm not too fond of. However lacking a third right hander, Schnieder will get his fair look for what he adds to the powerplay. I do think that O'Brien's presence will be missed and should have a spot in the lineup, hopefully between Salo's and Schnieder's injury history he sould able see time. I'd be tempted to leave Schnieder in Salo reserve and get O'Brien into the lineup. It also comes down to who plays better with Edler. Does Edler play better with a more offensive defensemen that needs to cover or a more physical defensive type allowing him to open up his game.

It going to be a very interesting camp indeed.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:28 AM
NuxFan09

So after 3 preseason games I have a few thoughts.

It seems that the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line has picked up where they left off in the playoffs. Granted they've only played together in 1 game but still, it was quite obvious they gel together as a line. Not only that but all 3 players on that line have improved; Bernier's gotten leaner and faster, Raymond has added bit of weight and seems to be progressing in terms of composure and decision making, and Wellwood is just plain showing more determination and confidence.

Secondly, from what we saw in tonight's game, Shirokov continues to impress and looked VERY good with the Sedins. The Sedins themselves looked very good too and the three of them together was just magical. AV has even expressed that he's a fan of Shirokov so I think Shirokov's chances of making the team - and sticking on the Sedin line - are pretty good.

All that said, if we can expect that these two lines stay intact, that leaves 3 forwards to round out the top 9: Burrows, Kesler, and Samuelsson. I know we all had Kes pegged as the 2nd line center but to me a Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson line just does not look like a 2nd scoring line. My suggestion would be to bump up the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier unit to be the 2nd scoring line and have Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson act as the 2B/shutdown line. Burrows and Kesler proved last year that they can go to work on a scoring line but they've also proven that together, they're better as a prime shutdown line. Samuelsson adds some offense and a RH shot to that line, which already boasts capable offense. The finished top 9 would look like this:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Shirokov
Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier
Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson

What do you guys think? Can the Wellwood line shoulder the secondary scoring load?

Old
09-19-2009, 12:43 AM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
So after 3 preseason games I have a few thoughts.

It seems that the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line has picked up where they left off in the playoffs. Granted they've only played together in 1 game but still, it was quite obvious they gel together as a line. Not only that but all 3 players on that line have improved; Bernier's gotten leaner and faster, Raymond has added bit of weight and seems to be progressing in terms of composure and decision making, and Wellwood is just plain showing more determination and confidence.

Secondly, from what we saw in tonight's game, Shirokov continues to impress and looked VERY good with the Sedins. The Sedins themselves looked very good too and the three of them together was just magical. AV has even expressed that he's a fan of Shirokov so I think Shirokov's chances of making the team - and sticking on the Sedin line - are pretty good.

All that said, if we can expect that these two lines stay intact, that leaves 3 forwards to round out the top 9: Burrows, Kesler, and Samuelsson. I know we all had Kes pegged as the 2nd line center but to me a Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson line just does not look like a 2nd scoring line. My suggestion would be to bump up the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier unit to be the 2nd scoring line and have Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson act as the 2B/shutdown line. Burrows and Kesler proved last year that they can go to work on a scoring line but they've also proven that together, they're better as a prime shutdown line. Samuelsson adds some offense and a RH shot to that line, which already boasts capable offense. The finished top 9 would look like this:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Shirokov
Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier
Burrows-Kesler-Samuelsson

What do you guys think? Can the Wellwood line shoulder the secondary scoring load?
Kesler and Burrows will get a lot more ice time than Wellwood, Bernier and Raymond. But both of those lines would be counted on for secondary scoring, so I'd be ok with it. Really wondering if Hodgson is going to even get a shot this year. I'm thinking he heads back down to Jr., as Shirokov has really made his case. And it looks like we will end up losing one of Hansen or Rypien - Hansen being my guess - when Demitra returns.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Kesler and Burrows will get a lot more ice time than Wellwood, Bernier and Raymond. But both of those lines would be counted on for secondary scoring, so I'd be ok with it. Really wondering if Hodgson is going to even get a shot this year. I'm thinking he heads back down to Jr., as Shirokov has really made his case. And it looks like we will end up losing one of Hansen or Rypien - Hansen being my guess - when Demitra returns.
While those lines look good right now I'm not sure Shirokov will remain on that line, we've all seen players gel for a few games with the twins only to slow fade away. I would love it if he sticks however, and could replace either Burrows or Samuelsson when he wears out his welcome on the top line. Hodgson and Wellwood fight it out for 2B line duties with the other being a spare forward. For now

Sedin - Sedin - Shirokov
Burrows - Kesler - Samuelsson
Raymond - Woodyman - Bernier
Hordichuk - Johnson - Rypien
Hodgson

Mitchell - Erhoff
Edler - Salo
O'Brien - Bieksa
Schneider

Luongo
Schneider

With O'Brien playing as well as he has been I think Lukowich is the odd man out, and in regards to Raycroft vs Schneider we'll get a better return on Schneider if we can showcase him a bit, even at an extra 500k this season.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
galiano

[QUOTE=Diamonddog01;21168969]

Sedin - Sedin - Shirokov
Burrows - Kesler - Samuelsson
Raymond - Woodyman - Bernier
Hordichuk - Johnson - Rypien
Hodgson

Mitchell - Erhoff
Edler - Salo
O'Brien - Bieksa
Schneider

Luongo
Schneider

QUOTE]

If this fits with the cap then I like it. Is this an interesting pre season or what ?

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
NuxFan09

I still think the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier unit should be the Canucks' 2nd line. I'm telling you, even after Kes and Burr's accomplishments last season, they won't score enough with Samuelsson to be a capable 2nd line.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.