HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seidenberg Signs with FLA - 1YR / 2.25M

Old
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
The fact of the matter is that the Rangers need to have a veteran on defense in the lower pairings. They would be STUPID to go into the season with 2 spots open to rookies. I understand the Rangers have a good pipeline of prospects but that is all they are...prospects. I would rather sign a solid NHL guy like Seidenberg than leave the blue line up to prospects.

I understand the optimism about the prospect pipeline but they are just prospects in a pipeline. They can't help the Rangers in the NHL right now. A veteran like Seidenberg for under $2 million a season would be a solid signing. If I'm Sather I go for it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
jniklast

well to summarize it:

multiple teams have contacted him, including the 'canes, but he doesn't think he will play there next season.
the two teams most interested are the rangers and panthers, with nearly daily talks.
seidenberg would prefer a three-year deal, but he says the clubs are hestitant to give him such a long deal, mainly because the cba is running out in two years, and there's uncertainty about the salary cap.
even though he has post-poned his honeymoon for a year, he's not nervous that he doesn't get a new nhl deal, since his agent barry has told him he would find a new team.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
seidenberg at 1.75 for 2 lets say v. rozy at 5 mil for 3 more years.

if we could somehow do that and still have 3.25 to play with i would say lets go for it.

hes a low cost option to play 3rd pair for us.
I would agree but if they do move Rozy you have to expect a Dman worth a few million will come back. Even if that happens its fine cause it will give them 5 veterans and then the young guys

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:

if we could somehow do that and still have 3.25 to play with i would say lets go for it.

Which is nice, cause he's definitely not a 3rd pairing Dman.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Seidenberg may want a three deal but he isn't getting one out of the rangers. What did they tell prospal?$1.1 million 1 year take it or leave it. Two weeks ago it was Francis and now its the German. Ho hum. How many days to training camp? Less than 3 week.s.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:14 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

What ever happened to Babchuk, weren't we going after him?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes not a rookie.
Staal & Girardi held their own their rookie years... Why so far fetched to anticipate other prospects in our system can do the same?

Quote:

But if we move Rozsival and acquire Seidenberg, he's going to be playing top pair minutes with Redden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The fact of the matter is that the Rangers need to have a veteran on defense in the lower pairings. They would be STUPID to go into the season with 2 spots open to rookies. I understand the Rangers have a good pipeline of prospects but that is all they are...prospects. I would rather sign a solid NHL guy like Seidenberg than leave the blue line up to prospects.

I understand the optimism about the prospect pipeline but they are just prospects in a pipeline. They can't help the Rangers in the NHL right now. A veteran like Seidenberg for under $2 million a season would be a solid signing. If I'm Sather I go for it.
It's not so much optimism about the prospects as it is the fact that the Rangers are rebuilding and in no position to compete for a cup so having 2 rookies on the bottom pairing is not the worst thing in the world....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post

yes. gilroy is a rookie and even still, we would have the 6th and 7th spot still open.

staal/girardi
redden/gilroy
seidenberg/ rookie. whomever wins that last spot in camp.

looks ok as long as we are doing something else with the rest of the money saved from moving rozy

even if we dont move rozy, seidenberg would still make sense really since we still have gilroy playing 3rd pair with him prolly.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

To clarify: When I said he seems like he'd be a more likely replacement for Rozsival, that doesn't mean I think he's a great replacement.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But if we move Rozsival and acquire Seidenberg, he's going to be playing top pair minutes with Redden...
something tells me redden and gilroy would be a pair and seidenberg would slip to 3rd pair.

we cannot have 2 rooks playing together. thats too much to ask.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Seidenberg may want a three deal but he isn't getting one out of the rangers. What did they tell prospal?$1.1 million 1 year take it or leave it. Two weeks ago it was Francis and now its the German. Ho hum. How many days to training camp? Less than 3 week.s.
RB, didn't Francis dismiss the rumors though, while Seidenberg is doing the opposite?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
something tells me redden and gilroy would be a pair and seidenberg would slip to 3rd pair.

we cannot have 2 rooks playing together. thats too much to ask.
Nice, Gilroy can make mental notes of what not to do out on the ice....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
What ever happened to Babchuk, weren't we going after him?
hes my first choice and hes available

he offers something no one else has.

bigtime shot.

potentially, hes a boom bust player but his boom makes us a way better team.

boullion and seidenberg are safer but dont have that upside.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Seidenberg should be happy teams are willing to give him a NHL contract because if you look at the number of free agents still not signed and the scarcity of available cap dollars,there will be many players who played their last NHL game without knowing it.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
jniklast

Quote:

bigtime shot.

defensively, babchuk sounds a lot like malik though.

as a german i'd obviously prefer seidenberg out of these three, but only for little money, and certainly not on a three-year deal.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Barry is the same agent who told the brat in ottawa that he would have options to consider when deciding his latest move. Barry promised him the moon and is scrambling to salvage the situation.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
pwoz

Replace Blozsival with Seidenberg at 1/4 the price!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Nice, Gilroy can make mental notes of what not to do out on the ice....
i will not be overly surprised if redden has a mildly sucessful year with torts pushing him and a full torts camp under his belt.

last year he showed glimpses and played better as the year went on.

he may well trick us all and actually play well this season.

or he may suk.

edit. assuming hes not paired with blowszitall

Old
08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
RB, didn't Francis dismiss the rumors though, while Seidenberg is doing the opposite?
Bouillon acknowledged the rangers rumors but added his agent was also talking to other teams including Pittsburgh and Carolina. He was expected to ink a contract by August 14. Nothing happened..

Old
08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:

bigtime shot.

Babchuk has confidence issues. From what I hear he lacks confidence in the defensive end of the rink. I'm pretty sure that's what hurts his value and why he hasn't been traded. He would help a ton on the PP and maybe Torts could help him gain some confidence.

On a side note imagine Babchuk and Kotalik firing from the point

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Seidenberg should be happy teams are willing to give him a NHL contract because if you look at the number of free agents still not signed and the scarcity of available cap dollars,there will be many players who played their last NHL game without knowing it.
agreed he would have to take a cheap deal,may play right in the Rangers hands

Seidenberg would be a better pickup than Bouillon overall

Old
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
[B]Staal & Girardi held their own their rookie years... Why so far fetched to anticipate other prospects in our system can do the same?[/B]

It's not so much optimism about the prospects as it is the fact that the Rangers are rebuilding and in no position to compete for a cup so having 2 rookies on the bottom pairing is not the worst thing in the world....
Staal was the crown jewel of the Rangers system pretty much from the day he was drafted. Hes a bit of a different case. Girardi stepped in nicely when there was injuries/ineffectiveness on our blueline a couple of years ago. I expect that to happen again this season with some of our younger guys. Nonetheless, its always a wise decision to have some veterans around as insurance policies at the very least.

The notion that the Rangers are rebuilding/have rebuilt/whatever you want to say with the word "rebuild" is pretty much pure crap. The Rangers have drafted a little better, and shown a willingness to hang onto their youth since the lockout. Thats about it, and thats not a true rebuild...thats just what sane franchises do. Maybe the original plan was to rebuild back in 2005, but that went out the window when Lundqvist and Jagr proved to be superhuman.

With that said, I really cant stand it when people say "Play the rookies because its not like the Rangers are Stanley Cup contenders anyway." No,no,no. This team now has a star forward in Gaborik, a star goaltender in Lundqvist, and a blossoming star shutdown defender in Staal. Get me to the playoffs with that core and ANYTHING can happen. I have a real problem thinking like a loser just so a few rookies can get ice-time, and I sure hope the organization feels the same way. I just hope the Rangers make the best personnel decisions possible, and I couldnt care less if that leaves a fringe-NHL'er rookie out in the cold.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I don't want us to sign him. Leave the two open defenseman spots for Gilroy and Sanguenetti or Del Zotto. If we do, it better be for a one-year deal so if he sucks it'll be easier to just trade him.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
BringBackLibertys

Everyone thinking we can move Rosi are missing an important issue. He is not drastically overpaid, true, but who will take him without shipping equal money back with the cap doing what it will and the CBA ending in 2 years. That is 5 million a year, no one is going to eat that when you can get guys on the cheap right now (look at the list of still FA players, they must all be staring at their phones right about now).

What are your thoughts?

Orlando

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
Everyone thinking we can move Rosi are missing an important issue. He is not drastically overpaid, true, but who will take him without shipping equal money back with the cap doing what it will and the CBA ending in 2 years. That is 5 million a year, no one is going to eat that when you can get guys on the cheap right now (look at the list of still FA players, they must all be staring at their phones right about now).

What are your thoughts?

Orlando
yea ur right, if he is moved they have to take back a Dman that makes 2-3 himself.

and yes their are tons of descent back end Dmen not signed yet with what a week to go and camp opens

they are going to have to break down and take cheap deals to play in the NHL