HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilroy

Old
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Gilroy

Well I am a Flyers fan, but I am also a HUGE BU fan, which mean Gilroy is probably my favorite BU player of all time. What are the chances he makes the squad from the first days and plays just about every game if he can?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

He's essentially a lock to make the team... Both because of his salary and his capabilities... He had a very good showing at our Prospect Development camp...

Barring injury or an absolutely horrendous training camp performance, he'll be on our blue-line for next season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well, the contract he got suggests hes going to play in the NHL this year. How many games he plays and if he actually adjusts to the NHL game remains to be seen.

According to rumblings around the team and the fans, most think he will make the team as the 6th or 5th man.

Me? Im holding out judgement on the kid because to be honest ive seen him play about 2 games. I'm not penciling him in anywhere until i see how he reacts to the outside speed of an NHL player. I wouldnt say he is a "lock"

The Rangers have a ton of defensive prospects with a number of them having the ability to crack the lineup this year. I feel that we might see a few of these guys in and out of the lineup - each getting some time and pushing the other to play even better.

I'm anxious to see what Gilroy can bring to the table though.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think he has a pretty good shot to make the team, but I also think he's vastly overrated by many around here. Could be an impact player, but could very easily be our next Thomas Pock.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I think he has a pretty good shot to make the team, but I also think he's vastly overrated by many around here. Could be an impact player, but could very easily be our next Thomas Pock.
Thats how i feel too.

Old
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Vitto79

I can see how some may view him as over rated mainly because he has not even played a game. Its based on his contract. Big investment and its obvious the Rangers feel he can help

good things were said at early camp.

I would say its his to lose. Torts likes the guy. Would be pretty surprised if he blows it.

He is the 6th Dman unless someone blows him away for playing time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
mullichicken25

still haven't found an answer to this question (granted i haven't looked too hard) but...

how many D-men successfully make the jump directly from NCAA to the NHL

theres nothing in Gilroys contract that want allow him to play a year in hartford, correct?

with all of that aside, if he impresses the coaches in camp then so be it!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
still haven't found an answer to this question (granted i haven't looked too hard) but...

how many D-men successfully make the jump directly from NCAA to the NHL

theres nothing in Gilroys contract that want allow him to play a year in hartford, correct?

with all of that aside, if he impresses the coaches in camp then so be it!
I asked the same question and i got one or two examples over the past 3 seasons.

Moreover, Im wondering if any of those played a full 82 game tilt plus playoffs coming directly from a 40+ game NCAA season... which is why i think we'll see a rookie platoon in that 6th spot to ease him into a conditioning level needed to play a full NHL season.

Old
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I asked the same question and i got one or two examples over the past 3 seasons.

Moreover, Im wondering if any of those played a full 82 game tilt plus playoffs coming directly from a 40+ game NCAA season... which is why i think we'll see a rookie platoon in that 6th spot to ease him into a conditioning level needed to play a full NHL season.
I don't think he has to play every game. They have depth with other young kids like Sauer and Saguinetti

I also believe Gilroy can go down to Hartford if they want and he does not go through waivers . He gets the same money regardless

am I right?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I don't think he has to play every game. They have depth with other young kids like Sauer and Saguinetti

I also believe Gilroy can go down to Hartford if they want and he does not go through waivers . He gets the same money regardless

am I right?
Didnt i just say that?

I thought it was a 1 way contract.

Not sure about re-entry waivers.

Old
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Crazyhorse30

He will make the team without a doubt. Let's just hope he puts up the numbers that THN projected him to. (12 G, 33 A, 45 P)

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse30 View Post
He will make the team without a doubt. Let's just hope he puts up the numbers that THN projected him to. (12 G, 33 A, 45 P)
I can't help feeling like things like this are getting our hopes up

we, on this board, vastly underestimate the learning curve for defensemen in this league

we are all very spoiled by Marc Staal...from my understanding, his progess was far from normal

Old
08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Crazyhorse30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I can't help feeling like things like this are getting our hopes up

we, on this board, vastly underestimate the learning curve for defensemen in this league

we are all very spoiled by Marc Staal...from my understanding, his progess was far from normal
I personally don't think he will come anywhere close to those numbers, but for THN who loves to bash the Rangers, they sure gave very generous point projections.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:35 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Didnt i just say that?

I thought it was a 1 way contract.

Not sure about re-entry waivers.
Regardless of 1-way contract, Gilroy is exempt from waivers for all of the 2009-2010 season, both regular and re-entry waivers. Waivers have to do with age when signing 1st NHL contract and games played/years of service, not whether your contract is 1-way. The Rangers are one of the few teams that would have no issue with paying him $1.75 million to play in the AHL.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:36 PM
ogie

i can assure you that Gilroy is NOT a lock to make the team. as much as i would like to be optimistic there is a huge gap between NCAA and NHL. There are more than a few guys that have a leg up on him playing at least a year in the AHL.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Regardless of 1-way contract, Gilroy is exempt from waivers for all of the 2009-2010 season, both regular and re-entry waivers. Waivers have to do with age when signing 1st NHL contract and games played/years of service, not whether your contract is 1-way. The Rangers are one of the few teams that would have no issue with paying him $1.75 million to play in the AHL.
Sounds about right. Thank you

Old
08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i can assure you that Gilroy is NOT a lock to make the team. as much as i would like to be optimistic there is a huge gap between NCAA and NHL. There are more than a few guys that have a leg up on him playing at least a year in the AHL.
So you're telling me he took 200k more to play in the AHL, rather than the NHL. Explain this one to me.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
If you only look at it from the perspective of NCAA vs. NHL you are neglecting Gilroy's individual talent/ability. There was a reason why so many teams were vying to sign him. They obviously scouted him in advance and felt he had the tools to play at the NHL level, and that's why he received such a lucrative contract for a rookie...

I'd say it's very unlikely that the Rangers would opt for Potter/Sauer over Gilroy... Bobby S would have to have a phenominal camp defensively to get the nod over all 3...

Old
08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I personally never felt the hype was justified. But hey, I can't exactly argue against it either.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

He's not fully exempt from waivers for this year. Once he plays 60 NHL games, which could easily happen, he would then have to pass through waivers, although if he plays in that many I'd imagine there would be no reason to send him down.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I remember when Gilroy-itis swept Islander Nation. Local Kid + Standout College performance = Paul Coffey NHL Career.

This kid is so overrated it's essentially insane. He was cut from his team, came back on as a tryout, scores a game winning goal and he's the next best thing.

Every year, a new player enters the equation as 30 teams gather to sign the hottest college FA.

He'll make the Rangers, but I'm not buying into this hype crap that took over for about a month earlier last year.

Good luck to Gilroy and you guys, of course!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

He was never cut from BU, just fyi.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd be very surprised if Gilroy didn't make the team.

I have no idea what to expect from him in terms of production.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
mullichicken25

I dont think that just because they gave him that much money, he's a lock for the NHL this year

he was not elligable to enter the draft...that changes everything...it wouldnt surprise me if the rangers paid that much to give him a look in camp and at hartford...they really don't lose anything if he doesn't pan out

keep in mind, it is a two year contract

side note: does he become a UFA or RFA when the contract is over? my guess would be UFA but i dont know for certain

Old
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I remember when Gilroy-itis swept Islander Nation. Local Kid + Standout College performance = Paul Coffey NHL Career.

This kid is so overrated it's essentially insane. He was cut from his team, came back on as a tryout, scores a game winning goal and he's the next best thing.

Every year, a new player enters the equation as 30 teams gather to sign the hottest college FA.

He'll make the Rangers, but I'm not buying into this hype crap that took over for about a month earlier last year.

Good luck to Gilroy and you guys, of course!
No

Quote:
The story of Matt Gilroy has been making the rounds lately, but in case you've missed it, here's the short version: a former hockey and lacrosse star at St. Mary's High School in Manhasset, Gilroy came to BU in the fall of 2005 as a walk-on defenseman when Parker didn't have room for him as a forward. He earned second team All-America honors as a sophomore and first-team honors as a junior, becoming the only player in the nation to be named an All-American in each of the last two seasons, and attracting the interest of no fewer than 23 NHL teams, all of whom made offers to Gilroy last summer.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...roy_using.html

He was 5'6 @ 17 and had an enormous growth spurt in his late teens in a single year to spring up to over 6 foot, he's not listed @ 6'2

Quote:
Gilroy's story is a great one. Not only did he put in four years at BU, but he started with the Terriers as a walk on. At the age of 17, he was a little-known defenseman who wasn't big enough (5-foot-6) to get noticed.

That was eight years ago. He grew (now listed at six-foot-two), matured (he's 25 years old), and became a real leader for a top college program.
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/10/b...y-baker-award/

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-24-2009 at 04:03 PM.