HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers are in Tanguay Mix

Old
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Panthers are in Tanguay Mix

From Gorten's blog:

Tanguay's agent, Robert Sauve, said the Panthers are one of five or six teams he's talking with that Tanguay is considering signing with.

"They're one of the teams we've talked to, but that's about all I can say," Sauve said. He added that he's received "a few offers," but wouldn't say whether the Panthers have made an offer.

"We're still looking at everything, trying to find the best situation for him," Sauve said. "We're going to take a little more time. We have a feeling we're close with some teams, but we don't know how much time it's going to take to finalize."

Oh please let it be us that is close...PLEASE!!!

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-the-mix-.html

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Crossbar

No doubt there are other teams interested, we should overpay and get him, it's not like we are saving the money for anybody else worthwhile.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:46 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

If the numbers are really close amongst all the teams interested, then we have to splurge and give him a little more if thats what it takes to get him here. We cant miss out on Tanguay.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

If he chooses to go elsewhere, the amount of *****ing on this board will be almost unbearable. Even though Sexton is doing what he can, Tanguay's mindset won't matter, it'll all be on the Panthers.

While I'd LOVE to have Tangs here, I half want him to sign here so we don't have to hear the constant grumblings.

07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
If he chooses to go elsewhere, the amount of *****ing on this board will be almost unbearable. Even though Sexton is doing what he can, Tanguay's mindset won't matter, it'll all be on the Panthers.

While I'd LOVE to have Tangs here, I half want him to sign here so we don't have to hear the constant grumblings.
I think there will be grumblings either way. If we sign him, there will be some who complain about the numbers because if we do get him chances are we will have to overpay a little bit.

There will also be some, myself included, who will be happy regardless of what the numbers are if he came here.

If we dont sign him, people will complain we didnt do enough and should have offered him more money. Getting Tanguay here would be absolutely huge, but whether we get him or not, there will be some griping.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
RainingRats

one of five or six teams?

thats probably the agent posturing for negotiations. Regardless, step up the dollar amount and add another year. Lets bring in a big name UFA. Another million and getting him could make this team a playoff contender. Without him I doubt we sniff the 8th spot.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Maybe Rhino can give him a call and convince him to come here. Didn't they play a few years together in Colorado? Anyone know if they were linemates? Every little bit helps.

Oh, and how do you guys like my new signature image. Bye Bye Jay, Ballard replaces him!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I think there will be grumblings either way. If we sign him, there will be some who complain about the numbers because if we do get him chances are we will have to overpay a little bit.

There will also be some, myself included, who will be happy regardless of what the numbers are if he came here.

If we dont sign him, people will complain we didnt do enough and should have offered him more money. Getting Tanguay here would be absolutely huge, but whether we get him or not, there will be some griping.
*sigh* I know you're right.

As for me, if we don't get him I'll personally be grumbling that we didn't get anyone that fits our needs at forward, whereas I won't complain if he's signed, no matter the cost. He's the last component we're adding, after all. I don't need to play capologist.

07-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

As for me, if we don't get him I'll personally be grumbling that we didn't get anyone that fits our needs at forward, whereas I won't complain if he's signed, no matter the cost. He's the last component we're adding, after all. I don't need to play capologist.
I'm with you on this. We have every right to gripe if we don't get him because our chances of making the playoffs without him are very, very poor.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
I'll laugh my ass off if we overpay, he gets injured for the rest of the season early on, and we still make the playoffs.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Where would we put Stillman if we add Tanguay tho? You can't put him with Dvo and Soup, he's too slow... you put him on the 4th line? Maybe with Kreps and Repik

Let's say we sign him, then what happens next year...? We need to sign another guy or everybody cries? Sure, if we get him... great. I really don't think Tanguay is what we need, sure he'd be an upgrade over Stillman, but then Stillman goes to the 4th line and maybe Repik can't play if he's ready... Maybe if it's Havlat or Hossa, but Tanguay isn't a goal scorer, he's just another setup guy... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him but it really isn't the end of the world if we don't get him. And I definetly DO NOT want to overpay him or give him a long term deal, he isn't worth it...

Last edited by Blad Meaning Gud: 07-13-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Maybe Rhino can give him a call and convince him to come here. Didn't they play a few years together in Colorado? Anyone know if they were linemates? Every little bit helps.

Oh, and how do you guys like my new signature image. Bye Bye Jay, Ballard replaces him!
I just realized your team just acquired two former Avs properties who were traded for one another--Ballard and Reinprecht. I wish to God we could undo the trade that later sent Ballard away, but oh well, that was one of many reasons we were the third worst team in the league last season.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, they were never linemates. Rhino had a whole litany of linemates during his time in Colorado, but ironically never was he with Tanguay or Hejduk. In fact I don't even remember them having a shift together. Rhino was too important to our secondary scoring what with both Forsberg and Sakic taking turns getting hurt. In all honesty I'm a little surprised they were never tried together now that I think about it.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballard4Prez View Post
Where would we put Stillman if we add Tanguay tho? You can't put him with Dvo and Soup, he's too slow... you put him on the 4th line? Maybe with Kreps and Repik

Let's say we sign him, then what happens next year...? We need to sign another guy or everybody cries? Sure, if we get him... great. I really don't think Tanguay is what we need, sure he'd be an upgrade over Stillman, but then Stillman goes to the 4th line and maybe Repik can't play if he's ready... Maybe if it's Havlat or Hossa, but Tanguay isn't a goal scorer, he's just another setup guy... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him but it really isn't the end of the world if we don't get him. And I definetly DO NOT want to overpay him or give him a long term deal, he isn't worth it...
A. Nice problem to have, for once.

B. I'd like to see Stiller with Kreps and Olesz.

C. We can either move Stillman or one of the other guys who aren't fitting in, if possible.

D. We can very much use Tanguay, his point totals would be very welcome here.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
A. Nice problem to have, for once.

B. I'd like to see Stiller with Kreps and Olesz.

C. We can either move Stillman or one of the other guys who aren't fitting in, if possible.

D. We can very much use Tanguay, his point totals would be very welcome here.
I didn't say I didn't want him to be here... I just think he is over-rated amongst our fanbase here.. All I'm saying is I don't want to overpay him.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

Agreed. We only have RFA Campbell to sign next season so we are basically stuck with the current squad for 2 seasons barring trade so no matter what tanguay would sign for wouldn't really hurt us.

Then in 2011 we lose some of our older guys to free up money (McCabe, Stillman, Vokoun, Dvorak)

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:42 AM
BabyJagrov

Tanguay is a 70-point per season player... Which would put him atop our scoring rankings !

I want this guy on our team ! REALLY !

And I want another D-man, then we are up to the Stanley Cup finals...

Said it here first... Just like the Kulikov pick !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:20 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Agreed. We only have RFA Campbell to sign next season so we are basically stuck with the current squad for 2 seasons barring trade so no matter what tanguay would sign for wouldn't really hurt us.

Then in 2011 we lose some of our older guys to free up money (McCabe, Stillman, Vokoun, Dvorak)
That is a lot of money free.

Old
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

Stillman Kreps Repik could be a decent line. I see enough offensive POTENTIAL there but who knows. Depth is a great thing. We're going to have injuries. Forward depth will be our strong suit this year. Plus Stillman will still see plenty of PP time.

Tanguay is what Horton needs and therefore what this team needs. He will almost certainly improve our terrible PP.

We don't have any elite setup guys. Tanguay is pretty damn good. Horton is lock, imo, for 30+ goals.

He is a 70+ point player. He is what we need.

Old
07-14-2009, 02:23 AM
Crossbar

Tanguay would be a good option for shootouts too, to go with Koistinen and Reinprecht. Besides his scoring, I like that he's always a plus-player in the regular season, never missed the playoffs his entire NHL career and has won a championship....that's a player worth overpaying to get IMO, who also isn't that old (will turn 30 in November).

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Wish we could get him. But I highly doubth it

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Tuco

We don't need him.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
We don't need him.
You are right. A legit top six forward is something we really dont need

I dont know about you, but this:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Tanguay - Reinprecht - Horton
Stillman - Soupy - Olesz
Dvorak - Kreps - Tank

Looks A LOT better than this:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Reinprecht - Horton
Dvorak - Soupy - Olesz
Repik - Kreps - Tank

Tanguay would add instant depth to our team. And with the way Pete plays the lines, I have no issue with the 3rd line having two $3 million+ players, because they will get plenty of ice time per game. Tanguay is an ungrade to Stillman IMO, so we can always use him as trade bait as the season goes along, maybe if we are looking to add to the defense. Regardless, his addition would give us the deepest team we have had, and would all but assure us of a playoff berth IMO.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
If he chooses to go elsewhere, the amount of *****ing on this board will be almost unbearable. Tanguay's mindset won't matter, it'll all be on the Panthers.
As it should be. The fans and the media need to pressure this Organization to shift out of neutual at best, or more likely reverse at worst, and get this team in the Playoffs and a pathway to an eventual Championship!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I didn't say I didn't want him to be here... I just think he is over-rated amongst our fanbase here.. All I'm saying is I don't want to overpay him.
It's not that were overrating him, it's that we all KNOW we need something else to make this team a playoff contender. Tanguay is pretty much the last somewhat impact forward out there and add to that the fact that we know for sure the team is considering him and we are getting excited.

I say sign him, even if you have to overpay and figure it out later. Stillman could be traded later if we need the money. He's only got two years left on his contract and some team would take on a veteran like that.

As Crossbar mentioned, he'd also be very helpful in the shootout where we have got to be the worst team in the NHL as well as the powerplay where we are one of the worst. He addresses so many needs for this team.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
You are right. A legit top six forward is something we really dont need

I dont know about you, but this:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Tanguay - Reinprecht - Horton
Stillman - Soupy - Olesz
Dvorak - Kreps - Tank

Looks A LOT better than this:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Reinprecht - Horton
Dvorak - Soupy - Olesz
Repik - Kreps - Tank

Tanguay would add instant depth to our team. And with the way Pete plays the lines, I have no issue with the 3rd line having two $3 million+ players, because they will get plenty of ice time per game. Tanguay is an ungrade to Stillman IMO, so we can always use him as trade bait as the season goes along, maybe if we are looking to add to the defense. Regardless, his addition would give us the deepest team we have had, and would all but assure us of a playoff berth IMO.
Yes he would and is. I don't think the difference is that big though. I would rather use the money on our D. Not on a long term so-called big signing forward, who is usually at the doctor's office or just has a dry period. The good ones are gone. Let's just save the money and cap space for the years to come.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote