HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The 2000-2001 Devils

Old
01-18-2013, 08:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
The 2000-2001 Devils

I have a soft spot for that Devils team. That's right you read it correctly. I'm a Rangers fan and I have a soft spot for that team. Not only were they the sequel to the hated 1999-2000 team that won it all, during the first Cup finals I remember well (I supposedly watched back in 94, but I don't remember it, I do remember watching the 1996 finals), they were a great sequel. They were my first villains in the NHL. Well I guess second villains after 99-00 team. However, this was different this was when I first got cable and this was the first season I watched the Rangers. I also watched a bunch of Devils games that season. Anyway, outside of one 5 or so game losing streak (I actually forgot it and found it going over the schedule on hockeyreference.com) when I believe Elias was out it seemed they never lost. They were the team I was looking at and hoping the Rangers would be. I actually respected and even looked up to those Devils. I was shocked they lost in the finals.

Anyway, I was wondering how good they actually were. Were they as good as my 13 year old self remembers? I mean they had a great record. Where would they rank as far as teams from the 90s on that lost in the Finals? I mean are they up there with the 95 Red Wings? Maybe they're better? At least they won 3 games in the finals.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

They were incredible. Maybe not as good as 1999-2000 - which was a heck of a team once they righted the ship - but it's close. They had a habit of letting in a goal on the first handful of shots in the Finals though, and it ended up costing them. Well... that, and the team opposite of them was probably the best team since the dynasty Oilers.

EDIT: Looking at the finalists from 1990-2004, I'd say they were the best of the group. Fewer weaknesses than 1995 Detroit.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:31 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
They were incredible. Maybe not as good as 1999-2000 - which was a heck of a team once they righted the ship - but it's close. They had a habit of letting in a goal on the first handful of shots in the Finals though, and it ended up costing them. Well... that, and the team opposite of them was probably the best team since the dynasty Oilers.

EDIT: Looking at the finalists from 1990-2004, I'd say they were the best of the group. Fewer weaknesses than 1995 Detroit.
Really? Stronger than both Wings teams in 97-98?

Old
01-18-2013, 09:58 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
As a long-time Devils fan, it's my position that the 2001 team is the best team we've ever had.

The 2000 team didn't really come together until midway through the season, the 2001 team was pretty much an 82 game extension of the team that ran the gauntlet the year before. I'd argue the only team better during the DPE was the team they ultimately lost two, though I'd wager if you played that series 100 times you'd get 50 Col victories and 50 NJD victories. Obviously you give Colorado the edge because they won thge one series that actually mattered....but god damn, that was one hell of a team.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Really a great team, certainly the best SC finalist that did not win the series in the last quarter century.

- Goal differential of +100 which is just off the charts great. Colorado was incredible that year and they were a +78 by comparison (albeit in a tougher Western Conf)

- I hate it when people confuse this Devils team with the lower scoring teams in '95 or '03; they led the NHL in goals for.

- Solid top 3 on D in Stevens/Niedermeyer/Rafalski, two HOFs and another excellent player.

- Brodeur in his prime, even though it was not his best year numbers-wise.

The argument against them is probably that the East was really bad that year. Six teams (NYR, NYI, MTL, FLA, TB, ATL) were really lousy that season.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:30 PM
SnowblindNYR

I remember after the Devils lost in the finals Chico Resche was saying how they didn't play up to their potential in the playoffs. Gave the example of the Canes series lasting longer than it should have. How did the Canes take them to 6 anyway?

Old
01-18-2013, 11:14 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I remember after the Devils lost in the finals Chico Resche was saying how they didn't play up to their potential in the playoffs. Gave the example of the Canes series lasting longer than it should have. How did the Canes take them to 6 anyway?
The Devils pounded on Carolina for 3 straight games...but eventually Stevens just running roughshod over them ticked the Canes off and they came out and played an inspired game 4 and ended up winning in OT(a game that could've gone either way).

Game 5 was a lucky win by Carolina. The Devils outshot them 39-14! But Brodeur was off and they squeaked by.

Game 6 the Devils had enough and just murdered them

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
As a long-time Devils fan, it's my position that the 2001 team is the best team we've ever had.

The 2000 team didn't really come together until midway through the season, the 2001 team was pretty much an 82 game extension of the team that ran the gauntlet the year before. I'd argue the only team better during the DPE was the team they ultimately lost two, though I'd wager if you played that series 100 times you'd get 50 Col victories and 50 NJD victories. Obviously you give Colorado the edge because they won thge one series that actually mattered....but god damn, that was one hell of a team.
If only Brodeur had outplayed Roy, or they had been playing any team other than the Avalanche, we would be talking about the Devils dynasty of the early 2000s.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post

2000-01 were the most talented Devils team and the best regular season team, but the team after the 2000 deadline was a little better. The 2000 playoff team had Vladimir Malakhov as a #5, who gave them 3 perfectly balanced defense pairings, and an aging, but still effective Claude Lemieux, who played in all situations. They were replaced by a young Willie Mitchell in the regular season / Sean O'Donnell at the deadline, neither of whom was close to the puck mover as Malakhov, and Turner Stevenson, a great 4th liner but no Claude Lemieux.

Also, 2000 Brodeur > 2001 Brodeur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
The Devils pounded on Carolina for 3 straight games...but eventually Stevens just running roughshod over them ticked the Canes off and they came out and played an inspired game 4 and ended up winning in OT(a game that could've gone either way).

Game 5 was a lucky win by Carolina. The Devils outshot them 39-14! But Brodeur was off and they squeaked by.

Game 6 the Devils had enough and just murdered them
It was the story of the 2000-01 Devils. So much talent - they only played hard when they felt like it. They were on their way to possibly losing to Toronto in the semi-finals when Domi's cheap shot on Niedermayer woke them up.

Did it come back to bite them in the finals? Lou seemed to think it did. After the finals, he publicly said something to the effect that he had never been more disappointed in any of his teams ever. Probably why he was so quick to pull the trigger on trading Jason Arnott (thought to be future captain material at one point) and firing Larry Robinson in the middle of 2001-02 when the team slumped.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:52 AM
pdd

The 2001 Devils were an impressive team.

I don't know if I agree with "best since the Oilers." and in fact I know I disagree. While it may not have been a Cup winner, the 95-96 Wings had three of the top six defensemen in the league by Norris voting AND a Vezina runner-up, as well as a 107-point Selke winning center and a 95-point center who was a Selke runner-up.

Despite not winning the Cup, I still say that the 95-96 Wings were the best team (at least post-Oilers, if not for a longer period), when you include all of forwards, defense, and goaltending.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:39 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Wait a second, Eva Unit Zero choosing the Wings in a category that discusses the best of something? Colour me shocked.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:27 AM
GuineaPig

In my lifetime of watching hockey (which only extends forwards from about 1996), the 2001 Devils are the only team to match the 2006 Senators in their talent. It's a damn shame that both those teams ran into goaltending problems (Brodeur had an uncharacteristically poor year, and Hasek's injury), because otherwise they'd be remembered as all-time greats. It's important to remember that sometimes the best teams don't win.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:44 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
In my lifetime of watching hockey (which only extends forwards from about 1996), the 2001 Devils are the only team to match the 2006 Senators in their talent. It's a damn shame that both those teams ran into goaltending problems (Brodeur had an uncharacteristically poor year, and Hasek's injury), because otherwise they'd be remembered as all-time greats. It's important to remember that sometimes the best teams don't win.
Brodeur did have an uncharacteristically poor year in 2000-01, but he wasn't the only reason they lost. Their secondary scoring (which should have been a team strength) basically no-showed in the finals. No coincidence that Mogilny wasn't even given a contract offer in the offseason.

Brodeur's stats for the finals are awful, but not all of it was his fault. That team was excellent at controlling possession, but was prone to the odd breakdown and high percentage chance against - the image of Mogilny hitting the post, then sulking rather than backchecking as Colorado took it back to score (with Mogilny's man scoring the goal) will forever be burned into my mind.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Brodeur did have an uncharacteristically poor year in 2000-01, but he wasn't the only reason they lost. Their secondary scoring (which should have been a team strength) basically no-showed in the finals. No coincidence that Mogilny wasn't even given a contract offer in the offseason.

Brodeur's stats for the finals are awful, but not all of it was his fault. That team was excellent at controlling possession, but was prone to the odd breakdown and high percentage chance against - the image of Mogilny hitting the post, then sulking rather than backchecking as Colorado took it back to score (with Mogilny's man scoring the goal) will forever be burned into my mind.
And Roy's were great.

That was the story.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:07 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Really? Stronger than both Wings teams in 97-98?
Oh, definitely. The only time the Avalanche were facing a two-goal deficit in the entire playoffs was Game 5 against New Jersey. It's absurd for a four-round playoff. I don't think there is any shame in the Devils losing that series. And to comment on Brodeur, he had the misfortune of having his worst playoff stretched out because his team was so dominant. He still had a few good games in the final, but Game 6 certainly wasn't one of them, and that was the big one. But he hadn't exactly hit his prime yet anyway.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Oh, definitely. The only time the Avalanche were facing a two-goal deficit in the entire playoffs was Game 5 against New Jersey. It's absurd for a four-round playoff. I don't think there is any shame in the Devils losing that series. And to comment on Brodeur, he had the misfortune of having his worst playoff stretched out because his team was so dominant. He still had a few good games in the final, but Game 6 certainly wasn't one of them, and that was the big one. But he hadn't exactly hit his prime yet anyway.
It was his 8th season and he had 2 Cups already.

Its not like he was just starting out.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

It would have been something else to see them take the prize that year. Considering that they won the cup in '03, in 2001 they were 1 win away from the NHL's first and thus far, only dynasty since 1990.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
He had hit his first prime, he just hadn't hit his second one.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Wait a second, Eva Unit Zero choosing the Wings in a category that discusses the best of something? Colour me shocked.
Objective statement:

Team A has three defensemen in the top six in Norris and All-Star voting.
Team A's goalie finishes top-two in Vezina and All-Star voting.
Team A has a 107-point center and a 95-point center, both of whom were Selke finalists, one of whom won the thing.
Team A set a league record which still stands of 62 victories, WITHOUT SHOOTOUTS.

Where do you rank that team compared to others since the Oilers dynasty?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Objective statement:

Team A has three defensemen in the top six in Norris and All-Star voting.
Team A's goalie finishes top-two in Vezina and All-Star voting.
Team A has a 107-point center and a 95-point center, both of whom were Selke finalists, one of whom won the thing.
Team A set a league record which still stands of 62 victories, WITHOUT SHOOTOUTS.

Where do you rank that team compared to others since the Oilers dynasty?
Well I was really asking about teams that lost in the finals. I think calling Detroit as the best team not to win the cup since the Oilers dynasty is not a stretch.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Well I was really asking about teams that lost in the finals. I think calling Detroit as the best team not to win the cup since the Oilers dynasty is not a stretch.
At that time in 2001 I think there are a trio of teams that can get the nod as "best team since the dynasty Oilers." Obviously the 2001 Avs, the back to back Wings and the back to back Penguins. Take your pick, you won't look silly picking either team.

I resented that 2001 Devils team. They came through on some overtime games against the Leafs that playoff and even though I hated them I still respected their game. Stevens was still laying out players that spring (Francis, Willis) and the Devils didn't really have a weakness as a team. That being said, they had a chance to win Game 6 at home and blew it. They were also playing a great team who were incredibly inspired with Bourque on the team. You can't fault them for losing but I would say that this team is probably the best losing team in the final in th 1990s and 2000s. Think about it, who are the losing final teams that come close?

1990 Boston
1995 Red Wings
2007 Sens
2008 Pens
2009 Red Wings
2011 Canucks

Very good case for the Devils to be the best team.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Budddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
At that time in 2001 I think there are a trio of teams that can get the nod as "best team since the dynasty Oilers." Obviously the 2001 Avs, the back to back Wings and the back to back Penguins. Take your pick, you won't look silly picking either team.

I resented that 2001 Devils team. They came through on some overtime games against the Leafs that playoff and even though I hated them I still respected their game. Stevens was still laying out players that spring (Francis, Willis) and the Devils didn't really have a weakness as a team. That being said, they had a chance to win Game 6 at home and blew it. They were also playing a great team who were incredibly inspired with Bourque on the team. You can't fault them for losing but I would say that this team is probably the best losing team in the final in th 1990s and 2000s. Think about it, who are the losing final teams that come close?

1990 Boston1995 Red Wings
2007 Sens
2008 Pens
2009 Red Wings
2011 Canucks

Very good case for the Devils to be the best team.
glen wesley missing in first game overtime continues to haunt me...

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
glen wesley missing in first game overtime continues to haunt me...
true enough. You know, I always wonder if that goal had gone in would they have called it off? A Bruins and Oilers player (can't remember who) got tied up and went down and slid into Ranford which put him totally out of position. This led to the yawning net staring Wesley right in the face. But you know the Oilers would have screamed blue murder over it and to be honest they may have had a case.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
mrhockey193195

I personally think that 2000-01 Devils team was better than the one that won the cup in 2000.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I personally think that 2000-01 Devils team was better than the one that won the cup in 2000.
I see a lot of people saying this, but nobody ever says why without pointing to the regular season standings that are based mostly on a 1999-00 team that wasn't complete until the trade deadline.

So I'll ask - how are Sean O'Donnell and Turner Stevenson better than Vladimir Malakhov and Claude Lemieux?