HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How vital is it to have exact skate width?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
  #1
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
How vital is it to have exact skate width?

Basically I've been looking at getting back into playing some shinny (haven't played since I was probably 15 or 16 and I'm 24 now) but my old skates are PAINFULLY tight width-wise. I can't skate for more than 30 seconds without getting some severe cramps in my feet.

So I went to a little sports store I know here and they measured my foot saying that I was EEE width. I'm not sure what width my old skates are but I'm guessing they're not EEE . So I looked into the prices of getting EEE skates and everywhere I've called is giving me quotes of 500+ bucks (need to get a custom-made boot, blah blah blah). I have absolutely no desire to pay exorbitant amounts of money on skates for a shinny game so would some EE skates be comfortable enough to skate in?

I don't know how much of a difference one "width size" makes so figured I'd throw this question out there and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance!

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
  #2
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
they make certain skates that run wider. the nike bauer flexlites are wide. get them in the EE and you should be good

the tacks i think are a bit wider too

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
  #3
JayK47
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Yeah, I've heard Bauer Flexlites run wider than others. so flexlite EE should be same as EEE in other skates. try them on if you can find it from your LHS.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
  #4
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Basically I've been looking at getting back into playing some shinny (haven't played since I was probably 15 or 16 and I'm 24 now) but my old skates are PAINFULLY tight width-wise. I can't skate for more than 30 seconds without getting some severe cramps in my feet.

So I went to a little sports store I know here and they measured my foot saying that I was EEE width. I'm not sure what width my old skates are but I'm guessing they're not EEE . So I looked into the prices of getting EEE skates and everywhere I've called is giving me quotes of 500+ bucks (need to get a custom-made boot, blah blah blah). I have absolutely no desire to pay exorbitant amounts of money on skates for a shinny game so would some EE skates be comfortable enough to skate in?

I don't know how much of a difference one "width size" makes so figured I'd throw this question out there and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance!
While fitting your EEE feet in a D (pretty standard) width skate might be quite comfortable, a EE width might fit fine.

Did you try any on?

For example, most E width feet would do better in a D than a EE width where an E is unavailable. Commonly it is not (no E offered), and if it was, a D may still be the better choice.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 07:15 PM
  #5
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
I made the mistake of getting a wide fitting D last year instead of hunting down a pair of EE skates. It was late in the season and I wear size 12's so I sort of jumped on the first thing that semi-fit. The result has been excruciating pain. If I take any time off from skating, my first time back on the ice will be torture, and once I take the skates off I won't even be able to put weight on my feet for 10 minutes or so. Very stupid choice in my part. Hopefully I can get a decent trade in value this fall and find something that fits.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
  #6
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Do not even look at Missions, they are narrow as *******

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
  #7
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,085
vCash: 500
Wider EEs are your best bet. Skates tend to fit very differently, I've heard somebody say that his D width 9K fit wider then his EE Vapors.

Try EE 9ks, U+, flexlites and Eastons.

You should be able to find something. I doubt you'll have to go custom.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
  #8
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
While fitting your EEE feet in a D (pretty standard) width skate might be quite comfortable, a EE width might fit fine.

Did you try any on?

For example, most E width feet would do better in a D than a EE width where an E is unavailable. Commonly it is not (no E offered), and if it was, a D may still be the better choice.
No, I haven't tried any on yet. I have a pair of skates in my trunk at the moment that I'd like to try but I've been busy and keep forgetting about them =/ I'll try them on today but I think they're smaller length-wise than what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Wider EEs are your best bet. Skates tend to fit very differently, I've heard somebody say that his D width 9K fit wider then his EE Vapors.

Try EE 9ks, U+, flexlites and Eastons.

You should be able to find something. I doubt you'll have to go custom.
Awesome, thanks for all the tips everyone.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
  #9
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
I myself have a 4E width and I wear 2E Vapors, and in RBK, I can get away with a D. I love a tight fit though.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
  #10
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Definitely go to a pro shop with a wide selection. Not every brand's EE will fit you, but there's probably one that will.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:12 PM
  #11
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Wider EEs are your best bet. Skates tend to fit very differently, I've heard somebody say that his D width 9K fit wider then his EE Vapors.

Try EE 9ks, U+, flexlites and Eastons.

You should be able to find something. I doubt you'll have to go custom.
I tried on Vapor U+, and hated them. My foot just didn't 'feel' right.

I tried on Reebok 5k's and it was a world of difference. I love them.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
  #12
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,085
vCash: 500
U+ don't fit anybody quite right until baked, but the RBKs fit well, so that's good.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:46 PM
  #13
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
I myself have a 4E width and I wear 2E Vapors, and in RBK, I can get away with a D. I love a tight fit though.
If that's the case, you're wearing a skate that is too long for you. My foot is maybe 3E and I have a really tough time finding a retail skate.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:10 PM
  #14
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
The best advice, TRY THE SKATES ON. You'll never know until you put them on.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
  #15
Lario Melieux*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
I'm going through the same thing. I'm 27 and haven't played competetively for 9 years. I'm using the same skates and I have excruciating pain after 30 minutes or so of sticktime and pickup hockey. It usually goes away after a while and my feet get used to them. I'm pretty sure the problem is the skate width because when I take the skates off and stand on the flat floor in the locker room, my feet begin to hurt again.

I bought some shock doctor hockey insoles and I'm going to give them a try. If they don't work I'll just have to tough it out.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
  #16
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If that's the case, you're wearing a skate that is too long for you. My foot is maybe 3E and I have a really tough time finding a retail skate.
What kind of skates do you use?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
  #17
greyraven8
Registered User
 
greyraven8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
At one time i tried out a pair of Bauer skates in 'EE' width. They were too narrow and hurt my feet.

The next pair i got were an 'E' width in a CCM Super Tacks - have been happy with them - been wearing them for years; fit well.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
  #18
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Well I ended up with a pair of Graf's (not sure of the exact model) but they're very comfortable when I put them on.

After skating for a while in them I find that my heels tend to lift more and more and the circulation in my toes is getting cut off.

That said, is it a matter of just breaking the skates in (I had them baked) or is it a wrong size?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
  #19
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Skate width is actually pretty important. Skates that are too narrow will hurt, and skates that are too wide will destroy your edge control.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
  #20
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Skate width is actually pretty important. Skates that are too narrow will hurt, and skates that are too wide will destroy your edge control.
I finally got some skates that are the correct width for me this past summer (EE) and I agree the edge control is better for me with the proper width.

My old skates were half a size bigger but narrower in width than the EE and while they kinda felt like they fit they obviously did not because the new ones do.

I am going to make use of the roomier pair for outdoor ice when I wear double socks cuzz of the cold.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.