HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filatov approached by KHL teams!

Old
08-26-2009, 06:20 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
The only concern is if he's truly not ready to play NHL hockey ... yet he thinks he is.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I think that is code for: Barring some unforeseen circumstances where I'm treated like complete garbage, I'm staying over here becasue I want to play in the best league in the world.
I see it as; "You play me on the NHL team, or I'll go to Russia."

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I think that is code for: Barring some unforeseen circumstances where I'm treated like complete garbage, I'm staying over here becasue I want to play in the best league in the world.
I agree with this, and I don't think its looking through my homer glasses.

Every off season photo we saw of Nick Zherdev he was always lounging around in a pink shirt and playing with a cat.

Filatov's have always been pictures of training, working out, and in every one he is wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hat.

Small sample size, granted, but different pictures on different days and he's wearing different Blue Jackets hats. The kid is proud to be drafted in the NHL, it's his dream to play for an NHL team. Columbus is the team that drafted him and he's showing loyalty. He knows the NHL is where the real Russian superstars are playing, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, and wants to be in their league.

Howson said the kids will make the transition to the NHL when they decide with their actions. Right now Filatov is still talking, and that does worry me a bit, but as long as he backs up his words with actions (ala Marc Methot) he'll be good.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, please. Malkin's been approached by KHL teams. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk have likely been approached by KHL teams. Hell, Zherdev's been approached by KHL teams and still wants to play here in North America. Being approached means that the teams are interested, not that the player is interested.
Yeah, I get 30-40 email offers for "Male Enhancement" every day, doesn't mean I want or nee...

hmm, maybe not the best argument.

Old
08-26-2009, 07:48 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
This is somehow a surprise to some?
I'm trying to work up the effort enough to care about this story.

I'm sure you've worked through the 20/20 foresight on this one... Long ago. Right about the time we drafted him. I know I have. You can already see parts of it showing up in this thread.

Beyond "I hope he's ready and makes the team on merit", I can honestly say "Who gives a flying @#$!#%!@#?".

There is no other point to this then for him to put pressure on the Jackets to play him. Regardless of whether he has earned it. Does this conversation ring a bell? I can already see some people on these forums following him right down the rabbit hole.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
BluejacketNut

My only concern is what is he thinking his minutes will be? If he's expecting top line minutes right off the bat, this could fester. But im sure the KHL is sending offers to anyone who would listen. But if he doesnt show the defensive responsibility Hitch is going to demand, then there could be some drama

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My only concern is what is he thinking his minutes will be? If he's expecting top line minutes right off the bat, this could fester. But im sure the KHL is sending offers to anyone who would listen. But if he doesnt show the defensive responsibility Hitch is going to demand, then there could be some drama
An interesting quote from the interview referred to the Wild game where he got the hatty. For those who didn't read it all, he said he went into that game thinking to primarily work hard at defense and, suddenly, his shot started going in. If that's his attitude and he keeps it going throughout this season, Hitch will love the kid!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
An interesting quote from the interview referred to the Wild game where he got the hatty. For those who didn't read it all, he said he went into that game thinking to primarily work hard at defense and, suddenly, his shot started going in. If that's his attitude and he keeps it going throughout this season, Hitch will love the kid!
And people forget he dropped to block a shot in that game. And in the World Juniors blocked a shot picked up the puck and scored a goal.

People seem to think Russian == One dimensional scoring only floater thanks to Zherdev. But hell look at Nash when he came into the league. In many ways Filatov has already shown more desire to play defense than Nash did. Yes Filatov is never going to be a big backchecking power forward, but that doesn't mean he can't use his speed instead of power to get back and get in the right position to if not completely shut down the other team's offense at least be an impediment to it.

Old
08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I agree with this, and I don't think its looking through my homer glasses.

Every off season photo we saw of Nick Zherdev he was always lounging around in a pink shirt and playing with a cat.

Filatov's have always been pictures of training, working out, and in every one he is wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hat.

Small sample size, granted, but different pictures on different days and he's wearing different Blue Jackets hats. The kid is proud to be drafted in the NHL, it's his dream to play for an NHL team. Columbus is the team that drafted him and he's showing loyalty. He knows the NHL is where the real Russian superstars are playing, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, and wants to be in their league.

Howson said the kids will make the transition to the NHL when they decide with their actions. Right now Filatov is still talking, and that does worry me a bit, but as long as he backs up his words with actions (ala Marc Methot) he'll be good.
A couple of things:

1. Just because the photos we've been exposed to are of Z with cats and Filatov working out doesn't mean Z didn't work out and Filatov doesn't play with cats. In fairness to Z, I don't think being out of shape was an issue for him. Those photos are fun but only represent a moment in time, not necessarily a mindset or lifestyle. In fact, isn't Filatov working out with Z in the most recent set of beefcake pics?

2. We don't know what Filatov thinks, how proud he is or how loyal he is. Time will tell with that, anything else right now is wishful thinking.

3. The issue becomes - what if Filatov doesn't "decide with his actions" what if his actions are deemed not good enough? THEN we'll truly learn about his pride in loyalty.

To be clear -- I'm not anti-Filatov at all, nor am I really surprised or worried about this story. I just think these assumptions that Nikki is scrawling "CBJ + Nikki 4-eva" on his Trapper Keeper are more based on happy homerism than anything we truly know.

Again, not saying, that WON'T ultimately be the case, just pointing out that there are important aspects to the equation that haven't been filled in yet.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
frito

Personally, this statement speaks volumes to me
Quote:
Also the moral side of the question is important. I don't want to lie to Columbus who I have a valid contract with. Everyone treats me really well. I hope I will play for that team.
as does this one in reply to a question about if he got upset for not being invited to the Olympic team
Quote:
It is laughable to get upset. I played only eight games in the NHL. Why would I make the team at all? I read the list of those who were not invited to Khodynka. It included such names as Alexei Yashin(notes), Maxim Sushinski... I am not the one who should be upset. If I have a fantastic first half of the season, be in contention for the Calder Trophy, then maybe I will get the coaches' attention.
The kid is saying the right things and seeing as he's upset for only gaining 17 pounds, which I personally think is a decent accomplishment, I think he is doing his very best to back it up with his action.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Personally, this statement speaks volumes to me as does this one in reply to a question about if he got upset for not being invited to the Olympic team The kid is saying the right things and seeing as he's upset for only gaining 17 pounds, which I personally think is a decent accomplishment, I think he is doing his very best to back it up with his action.
Those lines made me smile as well, but I've hesitated to post them (plus one or two others) because cherrypicking out-of-context quotes has been a favorite method of the omg-he's-going-to-Zherdev-us crowd and I really don't like endorsing their attitude by borrowing their tactics.

On a total side note, btw - I wonder just how much Zherdev's attitude was reinforced by his treatment at the hands of a certain Toronto radio host. Hmm.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, please. Malkin's been approached by KHL teams. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk have likely been approached by KHL teams. Hell, Zherdev's been approached by KHL teams and still wants to play here in North America. Being approached means that the teams are interested, not that the player is interested.
Agreed. It's not unlike any other business. If you come work for us, we will we do this for you.

Who knows what the future of the KHL is, but they defintely are trying to lure their own countrymen and Europeans with big money. The lure of no income taxes and playing at home I'm sure is pretty enticing. Whether or not the teams in the league can stay solvent remains to be seen.

If Filatov or any other player for that matter tries to pit one league against another, by threatening, "I'll just go back home and they will pay me," that is when it will get dicey.

There will likely be more siituations like Radulov, still under contract with an NHL team, jumping ship. NHL owners and gms will be cautious in signing a player who "jumped ship". Although a player cant sign with just any team if he broke a contract, because said team would still have players rights, ie Radulov, Svitov.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Great article, a must read for Jacket fans. Thanks for the link.
Not just Jackets fans! I love this kid, what a wonderful head on his shoulders. Composed, well versed and likable. I will definitely be cheering on Nikita and the Jackets this season

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Dear Nikita,

Whenever you say something to the media, Blue Jackets' fans will over-analyze your statements. This is due to their experiences with Russian players in the past, namely - Fedorov, Svitov, and Zherdev.

Fedorov was overpaid (for his production level) and past his prime. He had disagreements with management (xGMDM) after making some comments to the press concerning his young linemates (Nash and Zherdev). He just didn't seem happy here - that coupled with his pay level caused some consternation with fans.

Svitov signed a contract with the CBJ, then 2 weeks later bolted for the KHL. He may have had good reasons to do so, but still the rejection (or the potential of it) remains in the collective consciousness of CBJ fans.

Zherdev - where should I begin. There were a multitude or problems (or perceived problems). I'll just leave it at that.

Everything you do will be seen through the filter of the experiences this fanbase has had with the above players. Although it is not fair to you, you will have to overcome their deficiencies as well as your own.

Best of luck.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Everything you do will be seen through the filter of the experiences this fanbase has had with the above players. Although it is not fair to you, you will have to overcome their deficiencies as well as your own.
Amazingly enough Svitov and Feds didn't even come to mind. And nothing of this situation reminds me of Zherdev.

I think I'll just claim hogwash on this your analysis. Don't play the "Poor Nikki, the fans are being unreasonable" card.

He's either pretty stupid or pretty smart. Time will tell which one. Frankly I'm tired of hearing him flap his gums. Just shut your trap, Nikki, and come ready for camp.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Um..he really didn't say much of anything. You people are over analyzing it wayyyyyyyyyyy to much. His quote comes while he is referring to the question about money. If he isn't playing in the NHL and is playing in the AHL then the KHL may become a possibility because of more earning potential. I really think you all are taking what he said way out of context. I'm sure every #6 draft pick out there does not want to play 4th line minutes. He didn't threaten to go to the KHL at all so stop acting like he did. Some of you can make mountains out of ant hills.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Amazingly enough Svitov and Feds didn't even come to mind. And nothing of this situation reminds me of Zherdev.

I think I'll just claim hogwash on this your analysis. Don't play the "Poor Nikki, the fans are being unreasonable" card.

He's either pretty stupid or pretty smart. Time will tell which one. Frankly I'm tired of hearing him flap his gums. Just shut your trap, Nikki, and come ready for camp.
Forgive me for generalizing the bi-polar / schizo nature of this board. (I'm not hashmarks - very little of what I post should be read in the tone by which I usually read her posts or yours for that matter)

I think (as an individual) I agree with you to some extent. I tend to give ALL players a clean slate with each season. We are rapidly approaching the put-up or shut-up period for them. I want them to show up ready and willing to do whatever it takes to make the team successful.

I'm not sure how you got "poor Nikki" from my post. It was meant to be more of a "this is how you will be perceived (by some of the fans) you better be ready to deal with it" type of idea.

How the others are related:

Svitov - Oh no, he bolted for the KHL, is Filatov going to do that too? The only 2 Russians in the league who might not have to contend with that are Ovie and Malkin. Filatov will be getting that for years.

Zherdev - Oh no, he's a prima-donna floater, is Filatov going to do that too? We all need to wait and see on this one, there will be doubters until he proves differently.

Some members of HF will always have a "Russian bias" when it comes time to evaluate players. Some of those people post on this board.

Ultimately, it is all up to Nikita.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Siberian

Hahaha, little Nikita started playing mind games with Columbus, play me or else. It's a well known strategy, stage the interview with Sovetsky Sport (Sovetsky Soyuz does not exist anymore but Sovetsky Sport does?), have it translated to puckdaddy and here you go.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The specifics of the situations? You're right. Doesn't change the fact that people will associate them.

Quote:
Just shut your trap, Nikki, and come ready for camp.
Yes. Perhaps you should alert the worldwide hockey media of your "no more Niki interviews" position. It seems to be laboring under the misconception that people want to hear what he has to say.

My take? If we must extrapolate -- I'll go with everything Kallio has posted.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
His quote comes while he is referring to the question about money. If he isn't playing in the NHL and is playing in the AHL then the KHL may become a possibility because of more earning potential.
Quote:
He didn't threaten to go to the KHL at all so stop acting like he did.
Um...

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Um...
Saying something is an option and threatening are two different things.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I'm not sure how you got "poor Nikki" from my post. It was meant to be more of a "this is how you will be perceived (by some of the fans) you better be ready to deal with it" type of idea.
You said it wasn't fair to him. Thus he's not being treated fairly. Thus "Aww Poor Nikki".

Quote:
How the others are related:

Svitov - Oh no, he bolted for the KHL, is Filatov going to do that too? The only 2 Russians in the league who might not have to contend with that are Ovie and Malkin. Filatov will be getting that for years.

Zherdev - Oh no, he's a prima-donna floater, is Filatov going to do that too? We all need to wait and see on this one, there will be doubters until he proves differently.

Some members of HF will always have a "Russian bias" when it comes time to evaluate players. Some of those people post on this board.

Ultimately, it is all up to Nikita.
Svitov had a roster spot if he had come back. Not related. I think you are the only one that mentioned him.

Zherdev was the only one close, but Zherdev was handed his roster spot regardless if he was ready. And he seems to want to stay in the NHL. The situations are completely unrelated. And there has been little talk of Zherdev in this thread and I think you're the only one talking about relating the two playing styles.

Feds? Who cares, most people around here know we got him on the tail end of his career. Once again, I think you are the only one that brought him up. (unless I missed something for a poster on ignore).

This reminds me more of Methot's situation then anything.

Honestly, this thread hasn't been that bad. Probably the wrong thread to pull out the bi-polar card.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Saying something is an option and threatening are two different things.
No not really. Jackets management received his message, whether he intended it to be received in that way or not.

Old
08-26-2009, 01:04 PM
orthosrgn2

Nikita has done nothing but take the high road in his desire to reach the NHL. So what that he is Russian, I believe he has committed himself to playing in the NHL and he is fine with the CBJ. I believe his statements in Puck Daddy's article were all very clear and reasonable. I am very sure that he will be qualified to make our team this year and will get reasonable ice time. My concern is when his contract negotiation arises. Only them will we see his belief in his worth and the amounts of money the KHL is willing to throw his way. Howson will most likely not be able to match the tax free sums that the KHL will offer and then we will see what drives Filatov..... his homeland? ......Money?......Prestige?

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Siberian

Nikita is not Ovechkin. He needs to eat, eat, eat and then train, train, train. He does not have the body yet to play in the NHL. The fact is he may still be some ways away from being ready to play for Columbus. Columbus is not the bottom feeder anymore, it has high goals and if Filatov thinks he already deserves the spot on the team he is very nistaken. I wish he never said what he told told to Sovsport for many reasons. First and foremost of all you don't talk to Sovsport because they will twist your words (According to the most respectable athlete in Russia Fedor Emelianenko) and then may publish it on stupid Puckdaddy. Second, it is your professional obligtion not to be involved in any contract negotiations when you have a valid and ongong contract.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote