HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stickhandling device

Old
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
If that's the case, this looks like it helps them keep their head up at all times while practicing, unlike home made drills.
...which is why you practice actively looking around your garage while you stickhandle, or better yet stickhandle blindfolded. That's always fun, too.

If you find a kid that doesn't like to practice stickhandling, you better shove him between the pipes for sign him up or another sport

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
frito

Quote:
Think about it though - do kids actually do that stuff anymore? (stickhandling in the garage, using chairs, etc). Not really, that stuff gets boring in no time.

Kids need stimulation and fun, I'd say this tool could provide it, looks like a neat invention.
If a kid doesn't love doing it then they don't need to do it and can find some other outlet to get exercise etc. This product is based on the illusion that 99% of kids that play hockey will make it to the NHL while in fact less than 1% will. the delusional parent who thinks their 6 year old kid is destined for the NHL will go for it. The average parent who just wants their kid to get exercise, learn spotsmanship and HAVE FUN will not waste $200 -$300 on this. That is almost an entire house season for my younger kid.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use a wood stick (for the weight), golf ball, smart hockey ball, and occasionally look up the exercises off USA Hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
If a kid doesn't love doing it then they don't need to do it and can find some other outlet to get exercise etc. This product is based on the illusion that 99% of kids that play hockey will make it to the NHL while in fact less than 1% will. the delusional parent who thinks their 6 year old kid is destined for the NHL will go for it. The average parent who just wants their kid to get exercise, learn spotsmanship and HAVE FUN will not waste $200 -$300 on this. That is almost an entire house season for my younger kid.
True, but this is something that can be used for more than 1 season. Think about sending a kid to hockey school - costs 300 bucks and it's for 1 week.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
True, but this is something that can be used for more than 1 season. Think about sending a kid to hockey school - costs 300 bucks and it's for 1 week.
You compared a hockey school to this thing? really?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
frito

Quote:
Sorry, you're not going to sell me on it. You asked our thoughts and my thought is it is WAY too expensive for what you get.

Old
08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
PlantersOye

I'd stick with the old fashioned way or whatever works for you.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:49 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
You compared a hockey school to this thing? really?
I remember when I was younger I got into power skating. I'd go once per week for a few months and I'm sure it cost a fortune. That was to work on one skill.

Hockey schools in general will teach you passing, shooting, stickhandling, skating all in one week. Not alot of time to work on any one particular skill, and depending on the quality of hockey school, there may just be a few Midget AAA kids helping out, not necessarily great teachers.

For kids who want to get better at stickhandling, which is a crucial skill not enough kids work on, or work on improperly, it looks like this could be used ALL year.

Old
08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I prefer the old method of taping a hot girl on a wall and using a golf ball. Sometimes a few minutes will pass before I realize I'm not hitting anything but eh, she doesn't care.
LOOOOLLL!!!

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Hugh Madbrough

looks stupid to me.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 01:14 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I remember when I was younger I got into power skating. I'd go once per week for a few months and I'm sure it cost a fortune. That was to work on one skill.

Hockey schools in general will teach you passing, shooting, stickhandling, skating all in one week. Not alot of time to work on any one particular skill, and depending on the quality of hockey school, there may just be a few Midget AAA kids helping out, not necessarily great teachers.

For kids who want to get better at stickhandling, which is a crucial skill not enough kids work on, or work on improperly, it looks like this could be used ALL year.
No offense intended here but,

Anyone thinking about going to hockey school or getting this thing... GO TO HOCKEY SCHOOL!

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 09-01-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: changed thing to thinking
Old
08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Lario Melieux*

I think this program has it's benefits. It gets the stickhandler to completely focus on the ball on the computer screen rather than what he's doing with his stick, and rather than looking down.

It's like when you first played NHL for xbox. At first you had to think about the pass button, and the shoot button, etc. and it slowed down your game. But after a while you could get the player on the screen to do what you want without even thinking about the controller in your hands.

But for $300.00!?!?!?!?!?????

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
I think this program has it's benefits. It gets the stickhandler to completely focus on the ball on the computer screen rather than what he's doing with his stick, and rather than looking down.

It's like when you first played NHL for xbox. At first you had to think about the pass button, and the shoot button, etc. and it slowed down your game. But after a while you could get the player on the screen to do what you want without even thinking about the controller in your hands.

But for $300.00!?!?!?!?!?????
Yeah - maybe that 300 could include a 1 year membership.

Old
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
blueberrydanish

Great concept, but as many have said....the pricing is a bit too much especially with all of the fees that come along with hockey anyways. Sure, someone with that much spare money could defanitly get it, and it would be useful for their kid or themselves....but for most people theyd rather save the cash to spend on getting out there on the ice =].

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:00 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Wake me up when they develop a software that simulates weight training (all the while building my muscles), running, swimming, compound exercising, injury proofing, all the while it keeps the sweating to a minimum.

Also one that teaches me about leadership, sacrifice and commitment.

kthanxbye

Honestly, stick handling is an overated skill in hockey. I dont know why you'd want to make that your main focus. What good is stickhandling if you cant skate, cant take a hit, get injured all the time and arent willing to put in actual effort into something?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Wake me up when they develop a software that simulates weight training (all the while building my muscles), running, swimming, compound exercising, injury proofing, all the while it keeps the sweating to a minimum.

kthanxbye

Honestly, stick handling is an overated skill in hockey. I dont know why you'd want to make that your main focus. What good is stickhandling if you cant skate, cant take a hit, get injured all the time and arent willing to put in actual effort into something?
What good are all those points if you cant handle the puck?

Old
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
What good are all those points if you cant handle the puck?
we're talking about stickhandling here, not handling the puck. plenty of NHL forwards cant stickhandle for the life of them but are doing just fine in the NHL.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
frito

Quote:
we're talking about stickhandling here, not handling the puck. plenty of NHL forwards cant stickhandle for the life of them but are doing just fine in the NHL.
That's a very good point. I was at a coaching seminar this past weekend ad of course the topic of how much time is spent during a game acutally stickhandling. The general consensus is "not that much". Yes it looks really, really cool. But the reality is that skating, passing and shooting are far more important. As I said, it looks really, really cool but kids can tend to over stickhandle/stickhandle when they really need to open ice carry or worse yet, MOVE THE PUCK (i.e. pass it to an open player or dump it). The money would be better spent gtting the kid on the ice improving skating etc.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
noobman

Quote:

kthanxbye

I don't think you can be a good stickhandler if you're not a good skater. When you're skating down the ice you always have options as to where you could go or what you could do next. A strong stickhandler that can't skate is as bad as a good skater who can't stickhandle.

The good stickhandler might be able to confuse the D, but he won't be able to move around the ice well. A good skater that can skate will have to drive for the open ice, which the defender(s) would take away.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Stickhandling is handling the puck with your stick. Its how you handle your stick to control the puck.

Stick handling involves many different aspects. I think your going more to the "deke's" side of stickhandling. All this product will do is to allow you to control the puck.

Old
09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Quote:
Stickhandling is handling the puck with your stick. Its how you handle your stick to control the puck.

Stick handling involves many different aspects. I think your going more to the "deke's" side of stickhandling. All this product will do is to allow you to control the puck.
Which in turn increases confidence, especially for young kids, who for the most part are very uncomfortable handling the puck.

Old
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
CanadaBacon

Thats a good point, but do you really need to spend 300 big ones?

golf balls have been good enough for like 5 generations. I dont know, it just seems like a gimmick.

Old
09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Quote:
Thats a good point, but do you really need to spend 300 big ones?

golf balls have been good enough for like 5 generations. I dont know, it just seems like a gimmick.
Time's are changing man - kids need alot more to keep their attention than a golf ball on the ground.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Looks like the company is into pre-orders now. $200 is still the price point.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I could probably achieve the same effect by standing in front of someone who is stick handling and hold up fingers and have them tell me how many im holding up and save the 300 dollars for this thing. Waste of money if you ask me.

And for all those that say that using a chair and a golf ball are boring, does anyone who watched that video realistically think that this would be able to hold anyones attention for that much longer? It looked pretty boring to me.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote