HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stickhandling device

Old
10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
15 minutes EVERY day in the garage with golf ball, weighted puck and tennis ball while wearing http://www.hockeyshot.com/Heads_Up_S...ng-aid-002.htm will get your there.

$35 total outlay.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
15 minutes EVERY day in the garage with golf ball, weighted puck and tennis ball while wearing http://www.hockeyshot.com/Heads_Up_S...ng-aid-002.htm will get your there.

$35 total outlay.
HAHAHA....that brutal

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
HAHAHA....that brutal
Wow, can only imagine the neck pain associated with that thing!

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
GuitarAwesome

300$ is obscene! You need to keep your head up.....5 bucks for a golfball, and a piece of plywood, and keep your head up! Even at 200 bucks, that is absolutely outrageous.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
GuitarAwesome

Oh, and a good thing we used to do waaaay back when we were little, we would tape pucks to the blade of the stick(4 of them, side by side), and practice stickhandling with it. It made the stick alot heavier, and built arm/wrist muscles up incredibly. I still know a guy, who takes the warm-up at our games with a stick like that, then when the game starts, he switches to his normal one, and he says he can fly with the stickhandling. Don;t really believe that, but to each his own!

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Oh, and a good thing we used to do waaaay back when we were little, we would tape pucks to the blade of the stick(4 of them, side by side), and practice stickhandling with it. It made the stick alot heavier, and built arm/wrist muscles up incredibly. I still know a guy, who takes the warm-up at our games with a stick like that, then when the game starts, he switches to his normal one, and he says he can fly with the stickhandling. Don;t really believe that, but to each his own!
I remember doing that. When i was like 9 i got one of those velcro leg weights and strapped it.

Old
10-30-2009, 10:03 PM
StrykerB

http://www.hockeyshot.com/Complete_S...weight-001.htm

This one is pretty nice because it allows you to remove weights if your kid is learning.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:44 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post

This one is pretty nice because it allows you to remove weights if your kid is learning.
Thats pretty much what i had as a kid.

Old
10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

I knew a guy years ago who had a puck made out of steel, I think it was stainless steel. He would practice with that all the time and coincidentally he was a good stick handler.

Quote:
I remember doing that. When i was like 9 i got one of those velcro leg weights and strapped it.
Just use an old fashioned WOOD STICK lmao. I keed I keed.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:59 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I knew a guy years ago who had a puck made out of steel, I think it was stainless steel. He would practice with that all the time and coincidentally he was a good stick handler.

Just use an old fashioned WOOD STICK lmao. I keed I keed.
All we had back when i was a kid was woodies

Makes you think about how times have changed

Old
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post

I really wish I stole the Complete Shot I was given for practice at a summer camp 7 or 8 years ago. Handy device.

I just stick to a golfball mostly. Obviously I can't replicate my golfball reverse toe-drags on the ice but it has made my hands quicker and softer.

Hell I just find relaxing and not rushing to be the best thing for puck handling.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
All we had back when i was a kid was woodies

Makes you think about how times have changed
Today's sticks are just so damned light it is crazy. I'm using 2 Bauer One55s and 2 Harrow top end shafts that were about $100 each and are lighter than the Bauer cheapies.

My poinbt being that even the cheaper heavier bauer composites are way lighter than my good wood sticks. I still have a couple of Montreal woodies which were one of my fave sticks before i couldn't find them anymore and eventually just switched to compos anyway.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:53 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
If that's the case, this looks like it helps them keep their head up at all times while practicing, unlike home made drills.
Exactly. When I was in high school I was notorious for keeping my head down. And it wasnt that I didnt have any good stickhandling ability. In fact I was one of the better stickhandling players on my team. It was something I loved to practice, but never practiced with my head up. The last couple years I have been practicing with my head up and after a while of some ****** puck control I have become quite good at it. But Id imagine if i was doing it as a kid I would be a lot better at it. I support this idea, just not the price for it...

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Wooty

I think a flashcard system with a partner or parent would be as efficient. A card with something like top-left, top-right etc.

You could also mark the cards with tips or additional tricks like, Left Foot only or something.

Improve reading skills too

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
jmichael7753*

Quote:
Time's are changing man - kids need alot more to keep their attention than a golf ball on the ground.
Ive been using a golf ball everyday in my garage for the past 10 years. I would never use anything different until the day I quit hockey.

jmichael7753* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:47 AM
The Blind Squirrel

I used a pvc pipe on the bottom hand while stickhandling with a ball. It definitely helped. As to whether or not stickhandling is important or not, it's a piece to the puzzle. All good hockey players should be well rounded. Granted, some people may believe some guys in the nhl cant stickhandle at all, but its one thing to know how to stickhandle and another to do it in a game.

The Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Ive been using a golf ball everyday in my garage for the past 10 years. I would never use anything different until the day I quit hockey.
You're not a kid though obviously....do you think a golf ball is enough to keep their attention these days?

Old
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
IniNew

Quote:
You're not a kid though obviously....do you think a golf ball is enough to keep their attention these days?
Why is that an excuse to spend this kind of money? If the kid wants to get better at stick handling it doesn't matter if its this 300 dollar program, or a pack of golf balls and a chair.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Why is that an excuse to spend this kind of money? If the kid wants to get better at stick handling it doesn't matter if its this 300 dollar program, or a pack of golf balls and a chair.
What I am getting at is most people on this site are saying "I used to..." and then rhyme off all the techniques they used as a child - which frankly are very boring and would not hold the attention span of kids today with such competition for their time as PS3 and XBOX.

I like what the company is doing - pioneering a new technology that will change the way kids train.

Old
11-02-2009, 11:34 AM
IniNew

I revert back to my point. If the kid wants to get better, he will train regardless of how flashy or shiny the training aid is. Adding more cost to an already insanely expensive sport is beyond idiotic.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
K-PAX*

Yeah I don't know if TMac works for that company or what, but there's no way I'd spend 300 bucks on something like that.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky

Quote:
What I am getting at is most people on this site are saying "I used to..." and then rhyme off all the techniques they used as a child - which frankly are very boring and would not hold the attention span of kids today with such competition for their time as PS3 and XBOX.

I like what the company is doing - pioneering a new technology that will change the way kids train.
I respectfully disagree. You only have to go to any rink during a youth game, and you'll see kids waiting for their brother or sister's game to end, or waiting for their own game to start, stickhandling a golf ball. The company may have a new way to train, and it would likely hold a kid's attention for a longer period of time - at least for a while. but the kids who really woulod play it for longer periods of time are the same kids who reaelly want to improve, and would be just as happy with a golf ball in the garage. Less interested kids might play it for a while, but it would soon end up on their shelf next to last year's XBox games...

Glove Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Whoever said tmac works for that company or gets some commission must be right cause I think he is the only one that actually thinks that is a good idea.

As far as competing with video games tmac, have you actually watched the demo video of that? Stickhandling and looking at pucks explode on a laptop screen is not going to hold anyones attention any more than a golf ball and a chair would realistically. It looks boring to me and apparently to everyone else as well.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Not a company man here folks, just someone who likes to argue when I think I am right.

Old
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

I think practicing any aspect of hockey has the same fun factor as it did when we were kids.

Fail to see how that has changed much.