HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DirecTV drops Versus (UPD: back on the air 3/15)

Old
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Direct TV might broadcast the game without a contract.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/i...ticleID=133657

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 09-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ts-on-nabokov/

DISH PR provides more places you can watch the game on Thursday:

Quote:
Cupertino:
Elephant Bar Restaurant, 19780 Stevens Creek

Fresno:
Cheesecake Factory, 639 Shaw
Me-n-Ed’s 7025 N. West Ave.
California Pizza Kitchen, 7895 Blackstone

Hayward:
Bijou Restaurant & Bar, 1034 B St.

Palo Alto:
California Pizza Kitchen, Stanford Shopping Center and 431 Cowper

San Francisco:
Cheesecake Factory, 251 Geary
Kezar Pub & Restaurant, 770 Stanyan
Peppers Sports Bar, 123 7th
California Pizza Kitchen, 524 Van Neff and 53 3rd
Round Table Pizza, 3567 Geary

Santa Clara:
Cheesecake Factory, 3041 Stevens Creek
California Pizza Kitchen, 2855 Stevens Creek
Normandy House Lounge, 30 Washington

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
hmmmm....I would like to know what Jack's downtown has. I might be there

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

DIRECTV just gave me Center Ice for FREE. The first offer was half price, and I said that hockey games are "free" on Versus, so why should I have to pay now? The second offer was FREE. The only condition on my part was that I have to maintain my account for 90 days.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
I called DirecTV just to see if they had an update on the Versus situation, and they offered me the Center Ice pack at half off. But I really don't want Center Ice this year. Even with CI you still wont' see any games that are on Versus, NBC, NHL Network, or CSN-CA (if you are in their broadcast area), and I'm trying to cut back a bit on hockey, so I don't really see a benefit in it. I just told the DTV folks that I would "re-examine my options" at the end of this year when my lease and my 1-year agreement with DTV ends.

Oh well. I guess I'll be watching online or something.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Artful_Dodger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
DIRECTV just gave me Center Ice for FREE. The first offer was half price, and I said that hockey games are "free" on Versus, so why should I have to pay now? The second offer was FREE. The only condition on my part was that I have to maintain my account for 90 days.
I've heard of this happening for some other people as well. Sweet deal.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:51 PM
acidburnlk

Yep, just got CI for free too. I called the CS line and said I wanted to talk to retention.

I discussed my displeasure over the situation and the first thing she said was that she would deduct my account the money, before she said for what

acidburnlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
sharksfansd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Awesome. What a deal that is! Congrats to you and the others getting these deals. And I guess DirecTV gets some props to for drawing that line in the sand with Comcast and giving something back to their customers.

sharksfansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Just spoke to a wonderful person in Retention. She was very nice and gave me the Center Ice Package for Free. She said she is confident there will be a deal in place.

Pretty stoked about that.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Called, got the package. Good start to the day.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Who did people talk to. I just called and they would only give us a $50.00 discount. We already had the package and I talked to the first customer service rep who could give me a $10 a month discount and I asked to talk to someone else and he sent me to the premium channel dept and they could only give me $50. He said that was the only option on his screen. Maybe cause we already had it?

Old
09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

It really depends on who talk to. You might want to talk to the people who handle people closing their accounts. Some will do almost anything to stop you from closing your account.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Who did people talk to. I just called and they would only give us a $50.00 discount. We already had the package and I talked to the first customer service rep who could give me a $10 a month discount and I asked to talk to someone else and he sent me to the premium channel dept and they could only give me $50. He said that was the only option on his screen. Maybe cause we already had it?
I spoke to someone in "retention". Have you had CI in the past and how long have you been with Dtv? Maybe that had somehting to do with it.

Here is what I did:

1. Hit a bunch of zero's just to get to a CS Person.
2. Spoke to the CS person voicing my dis-pleasure (in a friendly way)
3. The CS Person said to go on-;line and submit it that way. I said, I have already done that and that I would rather speak to someone in retention.
4. Spoke to the person in retention and told her I am bummed because I can't watch my team from the comfort of my couch on opening night.
5. Then I also said I am more concerned about the play offs and how VS. carries all fo the play off games.
6. She stopped me there and said "We want to keep you so what if I gave you CI for free".
7. I "acted surprised" and said wow - that would be most excellent.

The whole time I was very friendly and never asked for anything for free. I was prepared to start whining more and say I was thinking about going to a different provider if they were only going to give me a discount.

I got it for free which I am pretty happy about

Honestly I am just glad I was able to talk to someone who can voice my dis-pleasure directly to management. The free CI is a SWEET BONUS!!!!!

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
drunksage

My story:

When the recording asked you to say what you wanted, I said "retention." It got me to someone right away (well, after a period of waiting) and I said that we were big hockey fans and were disappointed to learn that DirecTV is not carrying Versus anymore, so I was thinking of canceling and going to Dish Network. It turns out that my name wasn't on the account (of course, since it's my mom's name) and he said that I was going to have the account holder call in for cancellation (he didn't mention the discount).

After some hesitation, I mentioned that a "family friend" got a discount on NHL Center Ice. The guy asked how much and I said that the friend got it for free. Then he said that he'd see what he could do... some minutes of talking and waiting later and we got the package, with a credit applied to cover the full charge. He did mention that we'd probably have to pay for it if we decided to cancel our service later on, but we haven't really planned on switching anyway, so... :-P

Old
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Thanks for the info. It's my dads account and I don't want to threaten to bail. Especially since it's his account and they just gave him a HD DVR with a 100 discount and threw in some free movie channels since he is a preferred customer.

Should have asked this question before hand. 50 Bucks is 50 Bucks and he's happy with it.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 09-30-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old
09-30-2009, 01:06 PM
drunksage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Thanks for the info. It's my dads account and I don't want to threaten to bail. Especially since it's his account and they just gave him a HD DVR with a 100 discount and threw in some free movie channels since he is a preferred customer.

Should have asked this question before hand. 50 Bucks is 50 Bucks and he's happy with it.
Oh, I didn't read that part. Could be because you already showed you were willing to pay for the package because... well, you were.

God I need an HDTV...

Old
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Got it for my dad as I don't have direcTV. Was very simple and only took 5 minutes. I just asked for someone in a retention and was put on with someone in 2min or less. I said I was very upset (in a friendly manner) with DirecTV dropping VS. and that I would switch to Dish if the issue was not resolved by opening night. The rep instantly said "Well, what if we give you CI for free this year".
It really was that easy...

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
JumboShark19

My story

Well I called and they were not as liberal as other posters have said with regards to with me CI for free. First they said they could do half off, then they said they could give me $20 off my bill per month for 6 months. I told them that I heard others getting CI for free as compensation for the VS fiasco and they told me that was not something that they could offer. Not sure if it is because I am still under contract until 2010.

I then asked them if there was anything else they could do to make me happy, as I felt I shouldn't be paying for hockey that was previously free with the package I subscribe to. They then offered me free DVR service for 6 months (@$6 per month) and Starz free for 3 months. So, with the $120 (6 months @ $20 per month) and $36 (6 months @ $6 per month), I think I will pay a total of around $8.00 for CI and Startz for 3 months....I said OK. Just sharing my experience for others who may want to call DirecTV.

Go Sharks!

JumboShark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboShark19 View Post
Well I called and they were not as liberal as other posters have said with regards to with me CI for free. First they said they could do half off, then they said they could give me $20 off my bill per month for 6 months. I told them that I heard others getting CI for free as compensation for the VS fiasco and they told me that was not something that they could offer. Not sure if it is because I am still under contract until 2010.

I then asked them if there was anything else they could do to make me happy, as I felt I shouldn't be paying for hockey that was previously free with the package I subscribe to. They then offered me free DVR service for 6 months (@$6 per month) and Starz free for 3 months. So, with the $120 (6 months @ $20 per month) and $36 (6 months @ $6 per month), I think I will pay a total of around $8.00 for CI and Startz for 3 months....I said OK. Just sharing my experience for others who may want to call DirecTV.

Go Sharks!
Not bad, but if you aren't getting what you want, you should hang up and get another CSR on the line until you do get what you want.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboShark19 View Post

Go Sharks!
I believe that part of it has to do with your tenure with them. My dad has had two accounts with them (two different houses) for several years... (btw they added free CI to both accounts)

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
JumboShark19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Not bad, but if you aren't getting what you want, you should hang up and get another CSR on the line until you do get what you want.
I actually did try that. Called twice and both times they told me the same thing. I think they had a note from my first call that the second CSR was looking at when I was talking with them. For $8, I just said what the hell..not gonna waste any more time with DTV on the phone. I'm happy with the deal even if I'm not as cool as all the free CI people.

Old
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
JumboShark19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
I believe that part of it has to do with your tenure with them. My dad has had two accounts with them (two different houses) for several years... (btw they added free CI to both accounts)
I have been a DTV subscriber for 5+ years and they recently gave me Showtime for a year for free because of the 5 years. When I got my new HD DVR for free in 2008, they added another 2 years commitment to my account, which I think is fine since I never considered changing providers until this VS thing. Maybe if they have you under commitment, then that determines what they will offer you..not sure, just speculating.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:03 PM
shoot the puck

woohoo, thanks op. Just got ci free for the whole year. Since the first game is a national game, will the sharks be blacked out on ci or will we be able to see the game?

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
MetropolisPt31

BAM! Nailed it! Free NHL Center Ice, baby!

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot the puck View Post
woohoo, thanks op. Just got ci free for the whole year. Since the first game is a national game, will the sharks be blacked out on ci or will we be able to see the game?
Center Ice does not carry any Versus games.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote