HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Best and Worst Fans of the NHL

Old
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

vCash: 500
We need to go to Ted's Papered Sellout Emporium like James Dolan.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i like how Marty doesnt list the Nets even though we used to share a building with them hahaha

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
How dare he say something negative about your team!

But really, I don't agree with "ranking" fan bases... it's silly.
he's an ass because its the way he goes about justifying it. This was much more heated last year.

He brings up points, and we debated them all and showed how he was wrong. So instead, he calls us whiners.

Don't come in here acting like we can't take criticism. We'll take his assessment of our fanbase when it comes from an accurate portrayal, not one based on some of his arbitrary facts/figures/opinions... and his assessment of the one Devils game he watched.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
Most of our fans are still in school. Hell, Harrison and Kyle were still in diapers when we won the cup in 2003. It's going to take time.
Harrison didn't wear diapers... that is part of why he has no fear of performing in front of people.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Exactly. I worked in NYC in 93 for a company that had season tix at MSG and I went to almost every Ranger game in the lower level with my Devils jersey on and rooted against the Rangers and nobody gave me heck because they didn't care. I spent more time explaining hockey to the suits around me because they didn't know what was going on. If having them in the seats makes your fans "better" than I like that ours "suck" thank you very much.
Once in awhile we land seats from a Wall Street Firm and that describes the scene down there most nights. On several occasions, the guys around us left after one period and just went out. The conversation always the same "What do you do at ______________?".

As far as better fans go, listen to Montreal Sports talk radio it's grown men making trade proposals and aren't as knowledgable or better than any other markets fans. I can also take to you a time when Habs tickets were readily available.

As far as the Devils fanbase goes, it's all the same conversation all the time. If he wants to rip the Devils, get a time machine and go back 17-20 years ago.

The Devils have addressed the situation to a degree, but did itself no favors when they experienced a meteroic rise in attendance in the late nineties. I still know Devils fans bitter about being ousted by a huge hike in ticket prices.

GhostofKenKlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
I still know Devils fans bitter about being ousted by a huge hike in ticket prices.
I loved your post until this last sentence.

I think they had to raise prices at least somewhat to counteract both inflation and go inline somewhat with the skyrocketing prices at the Garden and other venues of similar size/caliber/teams.

When STH seats can still be $15-22 this year, and the cheapest seats are still $10-35 Box Office/DOG, I think the team is doing it right.

Old
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
The Devils have addressed the situation to a degree, but did itself no favors when they experienced a meteroic rise in attendance in the late nineties. I still know Devils fans bitter about being ousted by a huge hike in ticket prices.
I agree, the Devils brass dropped the ball in the late 90s when this team was averaging 18,000 a night, they saw the need to raise prices dramatically, which pissed plenty of people off.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I loved your post until this last sentence.

I think they had to raise prices at least somewhat to counteract both inflation and go inline somewhat with the skyrocketing prices at the Garden and other venues of similar size/caliber/teams.

When STH seats can still be $15-22 this year, and the cheapest seats are still $10-35 Box Office/DOG, I think the team is doing it right.
I'm not mad about it, I know alot of fans that were at the time that were STH in the lean years. I can't speak for every Devils or for those Devils fans but attendance did start going south after that point. They went, as ILVM points out from 18,000 to a heavy decrease.

It was in reference to the late 90's and compare it to where they were seven years prior. They had alot of goodwill going up until that moment. Also, the Devils became one of the most expensive tickets in towns in terms of NHL gate.

Old
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I'm not mad about it, I know alot of fans that were at the time that were STH in the lean years. I can't speak for every Devils or for those Devils fans but attendance did start going south after that point. They went, as ILVM points out from 18,000 to a heavy decrease.

It was in reference to the late 90's and compare it to where they were seven years prior. They had alot of goodwill going up until that moment. Also, the Devils became one of the most expensive tickets in towns in terms of NHL gate.
There was a lot more involved to the decline...Notably the NJSEA causing EVERYTHING to increase. Especially the food prices at the CAA. They went up dramatically from what I can remember (I was a bit of young'in then). I believe that was also the time the Devils lease/contract was up, and when the NJSEA saw we had 18K a game and a winning franchise, they basically forced the Devils into charging more per seat.

It's no coincidence thats when the Devils started lobbying to build their own arena in Newark or Hoboken and started looking into moving to Nashville as a threat.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
There was a lot more involved to the decline...Notably the NJSEA causing EVERYTHING to increase. Especially the food prices at the CAA. They went up dramatically from what I can remember (I was a bit of young'in then). I believe that was also the time the Devils lease/contract was up, and when the NJSEA saw we had 18K a game and a winning franchise, they basically forced the Devils into charging more per seat.

It's no coincidence thats when the Devils started lobbying to build their own arena in Newark or Hoboken and started looking into moving to Nashville as a threat.
High concession prices? Never heard of such a thing. Now that both parties don't have each other to beat up, what's their excuse for the high prices to go to events in general? I mean the cost of concert tickets at the Izod for certain acts are huge and what they get for drinks and food at both places is asinine.

I do know that the Pru has tiered pricing on beer and once we found out that beers were cheaper on the concourse, $3.00 a beer on the same brand. The fact is, that's just a cost and nobody is forced to eat in the arena. Talking to fans on game day, some make it a point to hit certain places before or after the game.

Actually, the funny thing about the Hoboken arena was Whitman at the time offered to build the Flyers and Sixers a new venue in Camden. Whitman is a Devils fan no less.

That's what happens when a State/Government owns an arena. You play by their rules. However, NJSEA also wired money every month into the Devils operating account either 250,000 or 300,000 each month. They also wired money into the account during the lockout. I know there is alot of bad blood between both sides, but the fans did rally around the Devils after the cup and the threats of moving and showed up in droves they haven't in years prior.

The NJSEA will tell you they are better off without the Devils and vice versa. The Florida Panthers arena owners will say that the Panthers hold them back from being even more profitable.

Old
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
From Marty's book:

Marty's dead on. That "dude" doesn't make any valid points because he's taking a very broad approach. The Wild have no problem selling out in Minnesota because they're the only team in that area. The Devils are in a completely different situation as Marty explained. We've been in Jersey since 1982, but we really just started building our fanbase in 94-95. Look at these boards. Most of our fans are still in school. Hell, Harrison and Kyle were still in diapers when we won the cup in 2003. It's going to take time.
Yeah the reasons have hashed and rehashed numerous times.

We're young in a saturated market with older and legendary teams around us. Old news. No matter what the reason though, the fact is that this guy's ranking isn't that far off currently. In the future when our next couple of generations have come and gone, yeah obviously we'll have a bigger fanbase that will bump us up many spots on this nobody's list. But to say that we deserve to be MUCH higher than we are now, right now, is asinine. Our fanbase is still young, we do have a harder time filling our arena, and our games are much more quiet than other fanbases. We've been improving exponentially on all fronts, but it's a marathon, not a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Solid.
Anything involving free Mexican food is not solid, I'll give you my word on that.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Anything involving free Mexican food is not solid, I'll give you my word on that.
Every time I go to Taco Bell I remember why I love it so much. A few hours later, I remember why I actually hate it with every ounce of my being.

On topic, I think the Jersey's team marketing is smart, and will do a lot to bringing in new fans. NJ is a lot like CT, in that it's a media market traditionally split by large cities in other states. If the Whalers had been marketed more heavily as Connecticut's team, civic pride might have kept them afloat longer, but ultimately they failed to survive because of horrid attendance and lackluster performance. The Devils are superior on both counts, and will continue to thrive in NJ.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

I have no problems when Taco Bell departs my system. Goes in looking like ****, comes out looking like ****.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i never have any problems with any types of food really

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
Here is a map. A map of team's location in the NHL.

The Devils moved to their location where the was a cluster**** of other teams. No **** they are going to have less fans because I'm pretty sure a good amount of hockey fans in the area were already fans of some other teams. Now, as the Devils get older and more people become interested in the sport and fans of the team have children and there are multiple generation of fans you will see a lot more fans.

This is also not counting FOOTBALL and Basketball teams...

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
This is also not counting FOOTBALL and Basketball teams...
DUH screw basketball... THE YANKEES, METS, AND PHILLIES are all RIGHT THERE

Old
08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Hypernova

Send a message via AIM to Hypernova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
DUH screw basketball... THE YANKEES, METS, AND PHILLIES are all RIGHT THERE
I don't think baseball would affect hockey ticket sales except in October.

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jersey Devil View Post
I don't think baseball would affect hockey ticket sales except in October.
ermmmmm yea. You're right. But def. come April/May

But I think it cuts back on the overall fans. The more diehard baseball fans you have = less hockey fans.

but agreed, I neglected that fact

Old
08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
I have no problems when Taco Bell departs my system. Goes in looking like ****, comes out looking like ****.
I would hope that most things out of there look like ****...

Harrison Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Hypernova

Send a message via AIM to Hypernova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
ermmmmm yea. You're right. But def. come April/May

But I think it cuts back on the overall fans. The more diehard baseball fans you have = less hockey fans.

but agreed, I neglected that fact
Why would we even want them as fans if they like baseball more than hockey?

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Yeah the reasons have hashed and rehashed numerous times.

We're young in a saturated market with older and legendary teams around us. Old news. No matter what the reason though, the fact is that this guy's ranking isn't that far off currently. In the future when our next couple of generations have come and gone, yeah obviously we'll have a bigger fanbase that will bump us up many spots on this nobody's list. But to say that we deserve to be MUCH higher than we are now, right now, is asinine. Our fanbase is still young, we do have a harder time filling our arena, and our games are much more quiet than other fanbases. We've been improving exponentially on all fronts, but it's a marathon, not a race.
All good points. And while I'd like to see the Devils attendance increase a bit and definitely have a louder crowd, I still think their current situation is better than having a ridiculously strong following in the area. Case in point is how the much more popular local teams have "rewarded" their fans for such a strong following, by pricing many of them out of the stadium because there are enough other suckers, I mean fans, that are willing to pay the higher ticket prices. In fact, I signed up for the Giants wait list years ago (maybe 7 or 8) thinking that with a 20-25 year waiting list, I might as well get in line in case I can afford tickets when my turn finally came. I never heard a damn thing from them & figured I was just never added onto the list until just a few weeks ago when I received a brochure in the mail trying to get me to buy seats at the new stadium (at a special reduced rate - down from $400 a seat to just $250...plus $7,500 for the PSL's, so I only would have to shell out $10,000 a seat for the first season). Yankees were only able to sell out their season opener this year because they got too greedy and the Mets, Jets, Rangers & Knicks all continue to hose their fans because of their popularity.

For as much crap as the Devils get about their attendance, I'd rather deal with that and be able to take advantage of ticket deals throughout the season to attend more games & be able to get tickets on short notice (especially for games like when Marty broke the wins record) vs. the alternative of having to log on the minute tickets go on sale for the season, hope to get seats for the 2 or 3 games I can afford or face paying even more money by buying on a ticket broker site. As long as the team remains in NJ (not going anywhere now that we have the new arena) and isn't hurt competitively (team can still afford to spend up to the cap), I don't have too much of a problem with attendance. Can even benefit by sneaking down to some better sections during the game.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Except for the top 3, the rest is just cannon fodder and opinion. The Devils have a bad rep of never filling their arena solely because of the market around it and the large population in NJ, NYC, and the surrounding area, but people never factor in that there are 4 teams in the area, which means that not everyone is going to be a fan of a single team in the area. Do I think the Devils break a top 10 fanbase, personally no, but 22? That's a load of bull IMO, even considering the Devils are one of the biggest rivals of the Flyers, I'm not that blind.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
The Braves won their division how many years running? Fourteen, fifteen? They couldn't sell out games until the NLCS at one point, and even then it wasn't til a clincher that they would, people just stopped caring. I remember when the Cubbies made it to the playoffs for what was probably the first time in my liftetime, and there were more people in Atlanta cheering for the Cubs in Game 1 than people rooting the Braves on.

And Atlanta was the only game anywhere down there....you had the Marlins way the hell down in Miami, and I'm pretty sure the next closest teams were the Astros and the Orioles...Tampa Bay I think came in towards the end of their dominance.

We got it rough because we have 3 teams within easy driving distance in 2 of the biggest sports towns in the country. But, since we've moved into our new home, I'm fairly certain we sold out every playoff game. In 82 game regular season in such close proximity, that's all that matters. Selling out playoff games in CAA was tough, the place was a cavernous pile of **** in the middle of ****ing nowhere. After eight or nine years of straight playoffs and what 13 of 14 or something insane like that? People got the "Eh Wake me when it's the Conference Finals" mentality.
I always thought comparing the Atlanta Braves attendance to that of the Devils was a bad comparison. Between 1992-2000, they were #1, #2, #3, or #4 in total regualar season attendance for the National League. (mostly #1 or #2)

We were never a Top 5, let alone Top 10 team in that category.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Every time I go to Taco Bell I remember why I love it so much. A few hours later, I remember why I actually hate it with every ounce of my being.
For me that is White Castle. Goes down smooth, comes out like lit phosphorous. Can't do it anymore. My body is a temple...

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
RNCDevil

However, I did note that the Devils ARE top 10 in road attendance. New Jersey is the most densely populated state. There are plenty of folks who leave for other geographies and still attend Devils road games (me for one). The Pens were #1 in that category.

RNCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote