HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Frank gets Try-out w/Yotes

Old
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Zowert

vCash: 500
Chris Frank gets Try-out w/Yotes

Chris Frank aka FRANK the TANK - 6'1" 230lb Defenseman has been invited to the 2009 Phoenix Coyotes Training Camp in September. Drafted by Phoenix in 2006 via the 7th Round at 188th overall. This guy played three seasons in the BCHL (Cowichan Valley) where he set a club record for most career fighting majors while posting 65 points and 658 penalty minutes. Frank was then offered a scholarship at Western Michigan University; CCHA, racking up 410 PIM and 34 pts in four seasons. Had a cup of coffee with San Antonio last season, tallying one point and five fighting majors (35 PIM) in 12 Games Played.

I honestly doubt he'll make the roster this season, but it will be fun to see him with the Rampage or Wranglers. Here's Frank the Tank fighting Rob Snowball (who is one tough S.O.B.) in his first FM since his BCHL days.

Last edited by Zowert: 08-27-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Zowert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Nothing against Frank but I would have rather signed Ferriero and had him play in Las Vegas. We're kinda back logged on D at the moment.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Good fight. Does Frank have any pro upside to his game at all? Say something along the lines of a bottom pairing ex:Vandemeer?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

And yeah.. the guys a pretty good scrapper for coming right out of college.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Zowert

There are a few other guys going to the camp this year that were late picks a few years ago. I singled out Chris Frank because I think he is one of the most underrated D-men on the NHL prospect list. I played with and against a few NHL prospects and draftees while I was in the BCHL and WHL. I even played against Peter Mueller when he was with Everett.

Anyway, out of all the guys I suited up against, no one was more feared than Chris Frank. I trembled everytime we played Cowichan Valley, the only time I was REALLY intimidated. This one time at the 'Big Stick' in Duncan B.C., I made the mistake of chasing a puck into Frank's corner. This guy hit me so F'ing hard, I seriously couldn't breathe for what seemed like thirty seconds. I thought I was going to die. When I stumbled to the bench, I clearly remember thinking to myself, "How the hell can someone hit that hard?" I've been hit hard before, even knocked out for a split second, but not like this. It turns out Chris Frank broke two of my ribs with that hit.

Here is an example of Chris Frank's hitting power:

Not to sound like I have a hard on for this guy. I really hated playing against him. I don't know him personally and to be honest I don't think I want to.. Other than being a hard hitter and good fighter, he's a solid defenseman. RARELY would any forward get around him. He does his job; keeps the puck out of the net. Don't expect him to put up Mike Green points or chip in on the power play. But with some fine tuning, Frank can reach NHL caliber as more of a hard nosed, stay-at-home defender.

Old
08-29-2009, 06:06 AM
PHX FireBirds18

OMG... if the hit he got you with resembled anything like that, I would say consider yourself lucky you only escaped with two ribs broken.

I'm hoping he surprises and gives us even more defensive depth. Anyone know if that's Kolarik getting hit? I thought he wore number 21 but I can't get a read on the jersey.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:36 AM
XX
... Waiting

Probably will be a dogfight between Frank, Ahnelov, and Schlemko for the 7th/callup spot. I'd love to see Frank win it, because I don't think he loses a whole lot by not getting tons of ice time, whereas Ahnelov can still develop in the AHL. Next year, Summers would be the ideal D man to pair with him.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
PhoPhan

Simply being able to hit people won't win you an NHL spot. Even if you're not expected to put up points and will only play 12 minutes a night, you still need to be faster and more defensively aware than what we've seen from Chris Frank thus far.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Probably will be a dogfight between Frank, Ahnelov, and Schlemko for the 7th/callup spot. I'd love to see Frank win it, because I don't think he loses a whole lot by not getting tons of ice time, whereas Ahnelov can still develop in the AHL. Next year, Summers would be the ideal D man to pair with him.
I think you're being a little optomistic on Frank's chances - let's see if he gets signed first and continues developing in SA.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I'm thinking Lepisto gets the seventh spot. Frank has to earn a contract before he can even think about earning a roster spot, or even a call-up.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 08:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
I think you're being a little optomistic on Frank's chances - let's see if he gets signed first and continues developing in SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Simply being able to hit people won't win you an NHL spot. Even if you're not expected to put up points and will only play 12 minutes a night, you still need to be faster and more defensively aware than what we've seen from Chris Frank thus far.
How easy it is to totally skip over the "he has to earn it" part

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Zowert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Well, he was good enough to get drafted so obviously scouts so some kind of potential in him. Other than that, you really would've had to play with or against him to really understand just how good he is.

He went +2 while with the Rampage who were at the bottom of their division. This is actually significant because Frank was on the the ice with the 4th line, most guys would've been -5. My point; is Chris Frank a good defenseman? Yes. Is he an NHL level defenseman? No.

Anyway.. I know Chris Frank won't make the Coyotes this year or even the year after. Unfortunately its likely that he will never touch NHL ice, even as a call-up. I doubt the Yotes will sign him, but if they do, it will be a two-way deal. He'll never get the call, instead they'll just use him to protect their prospects and backup talent (like Staal and Spina) in the AHL. Eventually they won't renew his contract and Frank will land some two-way gig between an ECHL and AHL team, spending the majority of his career at the 'AA' level.

As for Chris Summers. The kid is raw talent. I don't know if I can see him in the NHL. He will have to pound his way through the American League before the Coyotes or whoever he's with at the time decide to give him a shot. I am eager to see what he can do at the professional level. Summers isn't a high scoring defenseman either, but NO one gets around him. You're lucky to even get a shot off when Chris Summers is on the blue line.