HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Demers Senator!!!

Old
08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
1st reaction : wtf?

2nd reaction: good for him I guess!

What are the prerequisites to become a Senator anyways?
Exactly the same reactions I had haha.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Hopefully this means he will never be associated with the Habs organization, in any capacity, ever again.

On a more pleasant note, Emporer Harper has his Jar Jar.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Turboflex*

Hahaha CKOI is gonna have fun with this one.

The senate is basically a rubberstamp institution that is useless...BUT its formal functions are hard coded written into the constitution (British North America act I think) so it can't be changed or abolished without a formal constitutional adjustment which is what no one wants to do (Well Harper wanted to, but it would be too difficult).

Until some change comes along those seats in the senate need to be filled by warm bodies, and it really doesn't matter if it's the most brilliant person in the world or a comedy selection (infact it would be a waste of talent if someone brilliant was put in there).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
NHLcrazy

Next in line : Celine Dion and Youppi

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Kafka

Stephen Harper is either thinking this will help his party look more progressive in Quebec.... or he did it to show how ridiculous the Senate was.

I think he did it for both reasons.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Drive425

This guy is the leader of our country?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Newhabfan

Here is a scary thought.

We all know Jacques Demers. Nice person, not a lot of depth and complexity, easy to manipulate into believing and defending anything (that must be a plus to be a Senator).

The question - How many other Jacques Demers are there already in the Senate ? Just as "complex" as him ? And we miss them because we don't know a thing about them ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:05 PM
HABsurde

some of you should burn in hell !!!

When you know that Harper also is naming a lot of his conservative close collaborators to senate seat, it's easy to see the nominations of Jacques Demers (a more prominent and mediatic person that will shadow the partisan nominations)

then, the senate being what it is, i don't mind they nominate whoever since, people needs to be nominated, and their power being what it is, might as well nominated a man respected and kind than any dooshbag

And bringing the literacy stuff into this makes you ******* !!! Jacques Demers, whatever your hatred of him may be, had a hard life and work hard to make a good and honest living for himself, is a generous and kind human been and the Canadian senate will be better with and individual who don't mind sharing is weaknesses, which for normal folks is a sign of honesty and strong humanity... You seriously should all be ashame (the ones who brought the literacy issue)

You can criticize his hockey knowledge (which is a whole lot better than most of your knowledge) but *****ing about the fact that a man is stutering or having pronounciation problem and could't read but admit the fact and his working hard at improving himself only shows the HF is full off lowlife...

I'm sometime ashame to be a Habs fan when i consider that it's being in the same bag as some of you people...

By the way, he'll still be often on RDS so... no soup for you !!!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 08-27-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter.
HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Stephen Harper is either thinking this will help his party look more progressive in Quebec.... or he did it to show how ridiculous the Senate was.

more like it gives him a free pass on Omar Khadr IMO

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Pascal

That's ridiculous. The guy can't read and he's going to be a part of our parliament...? lol. This is George Bush stuff right there.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Holy freckles!!!!!!!!!
Am I the only one who read the title and thought Ottawa offered Demers a head office job?
That's probably what Demers thought too after he read the e-mail.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordicus View Post
Savard who told him as a joke " would you accept to become a senator?".
Solid!

I wanted to write that but... too late!!

Seriously, how can't we be sarcastic about this nomination.

Last edited by Dr. Charles: 08-27-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Ford Prefect

I thought the PM would have sooner nominated Don Cherry. Who wouldn't love that? Conservatives would get a nationalist zealot, and the rest of us would have him off CBC. Win win!

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Holy freckles!!!!!!!!!
Am I the only one who read the title and thought Ottawa offered Demers a head office job?
So did I

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post

Nice one.

ScottyDoesntKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Actually, another proof that the Senate is a joke. Your tax money at "work", people. Whoever gets the job of preparing Demers' notes for his speeches will have a cushy job, at least.
the way public wealth is being misused with such things as the senate ... and governor michaelle jean ...lise thibeault ... ect ... is just beyond me.

not only are they WORTHLESS ... but they still manage to take advantage of the system and use the government's money ...our money ... for their personnal life.

we should :

1) give them a slap in the face. let them spend a couple of months in prison for stealing the people of this country.

2) open the constitution and abolish these foolish jobs once and for all. Cant believe the opposition still needs the authorization from the governor to overthrow the government. I didnt vote for michaelle jean, did you ?

if they would at least shut the **** up. Jacques demers senator ... ive had enough.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

With theses nominations, it's 8 Conservative Senator more in the Senate. That's the good point at least. The corrupted Liberals still have way too much seats but its better than nothing. Let's hope Quebec population will wake up and choose more wisely in the next elections.

I'm happy for Demers even if I doubt he will do anything worthy, like anyone else in that room anyway.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Colin Campbell during the Richard era: Get me someone who reads French.
Jacques Demers: Get me someone who reads.

Ahh that guy is just a tool. If Canadian students do bad on a literacy test, is he going to cry. ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

@CBCNews: PM Stephen Harper says he'll keep on filling Senate vacancies with supporters of his government, until he wins backing for an elected Senate.

from the cbc news twitter..

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:10 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
When you know that Harper also is naming a lot of his conservative close collaborators to senate seat, it's easy to see the nominations of Jacques Demers (a more prominent and mediatic person that will shadow the partisan nominations)

then, the senate being what it is, i don't mind they nominate whoever since, people needs to be nominated, and their power being what it is, might as well nominated a man respected and kind than any dooshbag

And bringing the literacy stuff into this makes you as&&&le !!! Jacques Demers, whatever your hatred of him may be, had a hard life and work hard to make a good and honest living for himself, is a generous and kind human been and the Canadian senate will be better with and individual who don't mind sharing is weaknesses, which for normal folks is a sign of honesty and strong humanity... You seriously should all be ashame (the ones who brought the literacy issue)

You can criticize his hockey knowledge (which is a whole lot better than most of your knowledge) but bit%&ng about the fact that a man is stutering or having pronounciation problem and could't read but admit the fact and his working hard at improving himself only shows the HF is full off lowlife...

I'm sometime ashame to be a Habs fan when i consider that it's being in the same bag as some of you people...

By the way, he'll still be often on RDS so... no soup for you !!!
1- I love Jacques Demers. He is respected and enjoyed by most fans
2- Being nice does not gice you the skill to work in the high chamber of government. Not being able to read functionally is a serious handicap when it comes to nitpick on bill texts which often hide political agendas by choosing obscure wording or clever phrase turns.
3- The only reason JD was chosen is to hide the fact that the other 7 chosen today are conservative partisans (the exact same thing Harper was denouncing when in the opposition)

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Mathletic

Jacques will keep his job at RDS

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/therrien/?p=997

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
1- I love Jacques Demers. He is respected and enjoyed by most fans
2- Being nice does not gice you the skill to work in the high chamber of government. Not being able to read functionally is a serious handicap when it comes to nitpick on bill texts which often hide political agendas by choosing obscure wording or clever phrase turns.
3- The only reason JD was chosen is to hide the fact that the other 7 chosen today are conservative partisans (the exact same thing Harper was denouncing when in the opposition)
1,2,3-You're missing the point if you think a senate appointment is any kind of responsibility. The high chamber?? give me a break LOL

Old
08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Jacques will keep his job at RDS

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/therrien/?p=997
Now how am I suppose to learn how to pronounce French words ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
1,2,3-You're missing the point if you think a senate appointment is any kind of responsibility. The high chamber?? give me a break LOL
It is not as big of a responsability as it should be, but it still is. See post #22 of this thread. People think it is just a honorific title, it is not. You still get to debate and vote on bills of law.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
It is not as big of a responsability as it should be, but it still is. See post #22 of this thread. People think it is just a honorific title, it is not. You still get to debate and vote on bills of law.
Well I think you're overstating it but I don't mind guys like Demers in there. He may not be well educated but he's made a prominant career for himself against lots of adversity in the real world. That's something all the carreer Ottawa political hacks in the senate can't say.