HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: OTT @ PHI 7pm CSN

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 09:18 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
GDT: OTT @ PHI 7pm CSN

vs

Senators-Flyers Preview
GAME: Ottawa Senators (42-22-10-6) at Philadelphia Flyers (40-20-14-6).

TIME: Friday, 7 p.m. EST.

Anyone expecting a continuation of the bad blood from the last game between the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers should think again. There's just too much at stake.

The Senators and Flyers will meet at the Wachovia Center for the first time since their March 5 brawlfest in Philadelphia resulted in an NHL-record 419 penalty minutes.

Though many players have said there is still a lot of unfinished business between the teams, Thursday may not be the right time to settle matters. In the wake of the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident, the league is showing less tolerance for on-ice violence.

And if that's not enough of a deterrent, both the Senators and Flyers are right in the thick of the race for home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs, and desperately need the two points.

"These games are always going to be as passionate as any game and full of intensity," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "But no one can afford to go through the fireworks, not this late in the season. None of that stuff can happen."

The Senators have used a four-game unbeaten streak (3-0-1) to move within two points of Boston for the top spot in the Northeast Division with two games remaining. The Bruins tied lowly Washington 3-3 on Thursday.

The Flyers have split their last six games, but ended a two-game slide with a 2-0 win over Montreal on Thursday. They are two points ahead of New Jersey in the Atlantic Division with two games to play.

The hatred between these teams started in February when Ottawa's Martin Havlat was ejected from a game for taking a two-handed swing at Mark Recchi's head in frustration at the Philadelphia forward's dogged stick-checking.

Hitchcock later said Havlat was "a reckless player and someday someone is going to make him eat his lunch." When the teams met last month, Flyers tough guy Donald Brashear tangled with Senators enforcer Rob Ray and the fights escalated from there. There were five separate brawls in the final two minutes that resulted in 16 players being ejected. In all, 20 players got fighting penalties and only five players remained on the benches when the game ended with the Flyers winning 5-3.

Officials needed about 90 minutes after the game ended to sort the penalties. The previous record for penalty minutes was 406 by the Minnesota North Stars and Bruins in 1981. The Flyers had 213 minutes and Ottawa had 206. Afterward, Philadelphia general manager Bob Clarke, captain of the Broad Street Bullies teams of the 1970s, went toward Ottawa's dressing room, but was stopped by Flyers officials.

Though the venue and the combatants are the same, the circumstances have changed. Ill-advised penalties will almost certainly come back to haunt the guilty parties because Ottawa and Philadelphia boast the two best power-play units in the league. "It's going to be a normal game," Havlat said. "They're trying to get ready for the playoffs, and the same for us. Everybody wants to be at their best. Everybody wants to play in the playoffs. Nobody wants to do any stupid things."

Head to Head stats

Win %: 0.625 OTT 0.625 PHI

Avg Goals For: 3.238 OTT 2.813 PHI

Avg Goals Against: 2.275 OTT 2.25 PHI

Power Play %: 21.5 (1) OTT 21.2 (2) PHI

Penalty Kill %: 83.6 (20) OTT 84.2 (15) PHI

More Head to head stats

Home Win % Road Win % W L T OTL Points
Ottawa 0.7 0.55 42 22 10 6 100
Philadelphia 0.675 0.575 40 20 14 6 100

Top Scorers

Ottawa

MARIAN HOSSA 36 45 81 6 46
DANIEL ALFREDSSON 32 48 80 12 20
MARTIN HAVLAT 31 37 68 13 46

Philadelphia

MARK RECCHI 26 48 74 18 47
MICHAL HANDZUS 19 38 57 17 82
JOHN LECLAIR 23 31 54 18 51

Well, I don't think this game will be anything like the last one.
Everyone has too much to lose to do something stupid. Both teams need these points to help secure their standings for the playoffs. We need it to take a 4 point lead over the Devils and the Sens need the two points to tie the Bruins for the lead in the Northeast. I imagine there could be a fight with Brashear and Neil, but that would be about it. The Flyers want to go into the playoffs on a good note, Esche needs to get this win to help lift his confidence back up. Primeau, JR, and Rico are all still getting used to being back in the lineup. They all looked great last night, JR was playing his normal style, Keith was testing himself by laying good checks on the Habs, he got hit and was ok, and Rico didn't look out of place one bit.

Both teams are pretty evenly matched. Lalime will not be in net tonight due to a lower body injury and Esche has the call tonight. Let's hope the boys play like last night but a little more responsible in their own zone. We just need the win again if we want to take the Atlantic Division and get home ice advantage. Just get the win boys.

Tonight is also the last home game for the Flyers. All the season awards will be given out, usually we get to see them before the game starts.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:22 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Going to watch this with game with a couple Sens buddies, should be a great one!

No prediction from me (seemed to work last night) just hoping for an entertaining game and more importantly...a Flyer win!!

Esche vs. Prusek or Emery?...should be interesting.

-dutch-

Last edited by CNote: 04-02-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old
04-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Rex88

I wonder if Feds will be dressed?
I see Esche coming back to old form here and a very close and conservative game.

Flyers 2
Sens 1

Old
04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
Going to watch this with game with a couple Sens buddies, should be a great one!

No prediction from me (seemed to work last night) just hoping for an entertaining game and more importantly...a Flyer win!!

-dutch-
Dutch,

I am pretty sure Prusek will be starting tonight.

Phi - 3 JR, Amonte, Kaps (EN)

Ott - 1 Fisher

Old
04-02-2004, 09:43 AM
tytech

We have alot to prove here and anything but a win will crush our esteem. So close to the playoffs will be hard to overcome. We have to get back into Hitchs system. The defensive approach. Get a few goals and shut them down hard by glogging up the neutral zone. We are a better team then Jersey and can take over that style of play once we take them out. Ottawa is number one in goals and if we do this well against them it will be huge for our psyche. Come on guys, lets go in with three straight wins and keep it rolling there on after.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Teezax

The Snes fans are really talking smack, here's hoping the FLyboyz make em pay. Hopefully Esche can get on the right track after watching Burke push him harder with the shutout yesterday. Desjardins and Primeau in the lineup = Success.

Flyers 3 (Radio, Sharp, Prims)
Senaturds 2 (Turd 1, Turd 2)

Old
04-02-2004, 09:46 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
The Snes fans are really talking smack, here's hoping the FLyboyz make em pay. Hopefully Esche can get on the right track after watching Burke push him harder with the shutout yesterday. Desjardins and Primeau in the lineup = Success.

Flyers 3 (Radio, Sharp, Prims)
Senaturds 2 (Turd 1, Turd 2)
Whatever......it's up to the players, not us. Smack talk away yourselves (which you've already taken care of on the Sens board...no disrespect intended everyone's welcome)

Prusek will be starting for the Sens tonight.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
Whatever......it's up to the players, not us. Smack talk away yourselves (which you've already taken care of on the Sens board...no disrespect intended everyone's welcome)

Prusek will be starting for the Sens tonight.
Excuse me, weren't you the ones saying you own us, and that you'll take us out again with no questions asked? Whatever, I had just about enough of the Sens and their HIGH hopes. You're out first round fellas.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Flyers26

With Prims & Jr back... no Feds tonite. The league is watching this game like a hawk, and you won't see any fireworks. Why risk injury, with 2 games left?

Old
04-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Gonchar

Quote:

-dutch-

Yep should be good Dutch!! Don't forget the bet!! On a Sens note, White and Varada are listed as game-time decisions.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:09 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
We have alot to prove here and anything but a win will crush our esteem.
I disagree. It would be different if we hadn't beaten Ottawa or the Devils of late, but we've more than held our own

3-2-1 vs. NJ
1-1-1 vs. Ott
3-1 vs. Tor

Last edited by John Flyers Fan: 04-02-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old
04-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I disagree. It would be different if we hadn't beaten Ottawa or the Devils of late, but we've more than held our own

3-2-1 vs. NJ
1-1-1 vs. Ott
3-1 vs. Tor

Old
04-02-2004, 10:31 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchar
Yep should be good Dutch!! Don't forget the bet!! On a Sens note, White and Varada are listed as game-time decisions.
don't worry gonch, i'm all over that bet.
let's go fly-ers!!

-dutch-

Old
04-02-2004, 10:32 AM
bennysflyers16

Flyers 2 - Zhamnov, Johnnson

Tuff Guys 1 - Hossa

Just a side note, I hope Brash kicks the piss out of Neil, I don't want us picking on their weaklings, but that chump Neil needs a beating, and Brash is the man to give it to him.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Teezax

Yeah Neil is the first one I want pounded. I still want a piece of Havlat though, someone needs to discreetly spear him in the junk.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Gonchar

Quote:
don't worry gonch, i'm all over that bet.
let's go fly-ers!!

-dutch-
Ok good. Should be a very exciting game. I like the playoff Avatars Flyers fans!!

For those Flyers fans in Canada, TSN just changed their Sunday game @ 1pm to Boston @ New Jersey. It was previously Philly @ NY Islanders

Old
04-02-2004, 11:01 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Excuse me, weren't you the ones saying you own us, and that you'll take us out again with no questions asked? Whatever, I had just about enough of the Sens and their HIGH hopes. You're out first round fellas.
And what position are you in to be talking that kind of smack?

Old
04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
For those Flyers fans in Canada, TSN just changed their Sunday game @ 1pm to Boston @ New Jersey. It was previously Philly @ NY Islanders
damn you TSN!...lol...that game should be huge for the Flyers though (either way). Still a great game to watch

-dutch-

Old
04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
And what position are you in to be talking that kind of smack?
High Council Member of the S.O.B. ... nuff said..

Old
04-02-2004, 11:24 AM
blah

The 4th line better be Brashear-LaPointe-Fedoruk.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:40 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
The 4th line better be Brashear-LaPointe-Fedoruk.
That means one of Radio, Somik or Sharp will be out. I wouldn't put Fedoruk in. Nothing will happen so why waste a good player for a good scraper?
Please don't tell me Feds is a good player.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:06 PM
blah

Sorry, but w/ the Flyers' injury luck this season they need all the protection they can get. It probably won't turn out like it did last game b/c the anti-fighting nazi is in the building. Still though, players will most certainly be ran. The Sens are dirty to say the least. I don't want the Flyers caught w/ no enforcers left on the bench/ice again.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I really like your guys playoff avatars.

Should be a good one. I don't expect much to happen in terms of fighting.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
That bites...... I was looking forward to watching that one. Is it amazing to anyone else that no one in Canada is carrying tonight's game (no, I don't have Centre Ice)? Sportsnet, TSN, Score....... somebody could have carried this one!

Old
04-02-2004, 01:01 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Small notes:

Flyers MileStones:

Donald Brashear - Needs one assist to reach 100 in the NHL.

Sean Burke - Needs one win to reach 305 in the NHL and pass Chris Osgood for 18th place on the NHL's All-Time List.

Kim Johnsson - Needs two assists to tie his career high for assists in a season (30 in 2001-02); Needs one point to tie his career high for points in a season (41 in 2001-02).

Mark Recchi played his 600th game as a Flyer last night becoming 17th player in Flyers history to do this.

Burke tied Osgood on the NHL list.

Handzus got his 100th career goal last night.

Randy Jones has been assigned back to the Phantoms. Malakhov is listed as day to day.

Closed Thread