HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ iPhone App?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
  #26
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Bah. Printing is for old people.
That would be Robert! LOL

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 06:39 AM
  #27
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,339
vCash: 500
I'm currently taking some objective C classes.

Buy me an iPhone and I'll write a CBJ app

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 07:29 AM
  #28
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
A laptop with a built in printer?

Kind of the opposite of why people buy laptops isn't it?

Anywho...I have been holding off buying an iphone since they came out because of their use of AT&T and I am a Verizon customer with a plan that is wonderfully suited to me. AT&T has a some good plans too, but their roaming into Canada is expensive, whereas now I don't pay anything.

Any word of iphone abandoning their exclusivity to AT&T?

edit: just doing some looking and:

http://business.theatlantic.com/2009...y.php#comments

http://mashable.com/2009/07/23/iphone-exclusivity/

Apparently iphone's contract with at&t ends next year and they might not get the lock on them again. From these two articles, when apple has gone away from a single service (france), apple has increased sales significantly if they make their phone available with other users (duh--not sure why they didn't just do it in the first place).

If it is going to be as soon as 2010, I'll wait and see what happens. I've gone this long.


Last edited by hashmarks: 09-01-2009 at 07:50 AM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:02 AM
  #29
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
If you're thinking of an iPhone, AT&T should be a warning, not a feature. I swear to G-d, up here around the New Albany/Gahanna border (where I work) they don't have a "signal tower" so much as they have a rotating radar dome. I had less signal issues with T-Mobile. T-Mobile. It's downright pathetic.

...and yet I can't drop them without paying through the nose 'cause I'm presently on a family plan (all family members in the area got together for it; it saves us the millions dollars bills). Grar.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
  #30
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
If you're thinking of an iPhone, AT&T should be a warning, not a feature. I swear to G-d, up here around the New Albany/Gahanna border (where I work) they don't have a "signal tower" so much as they have a rotating radar dome. I had less signal issues with T-Mobile. T-Mobile. It's downright pathetic.

...and yet I can't drop them without paying through the nose 'cause I'm presently on a family plan (all family members in the area got together for it; it saves us the millions dollars bills). Grar.
At&t should do anything it can to hold onto the iphone because once it goes, so will pretty much everyone who only went with their service in order to get the iphone. Roaming rates in Canada are .59 cents a minute...I mean, get real.

I can't understand why apple would have gone exlusively with that company anyway. Does anyone know the reason for it?

If apple opens up their iphone to verizon their sales would sky rocket.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
  #31
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
At&t should do anything it can to hold onto the iphone because once it goes, so will pretty much everyone who only went with their service in order to get the iphone. Roaming rates in Canada are .59 cents a minute...I mean, get real.

I can't understand why apple would have gone exlusively with that company anyway. Does anyone know the reason for it?

If apple opens up their iphone to verizon their sales would sky rocket.
The only thing I can conceive of is that the iPhone is apparently GSM-only, and that basically means AT&T or T-Mobile, and I guess AT&T won the negotiation. And that decision likely would have been made for international sales reasons; GSM's pretty much the only way to go in Europe last I checked.

That would make a move to Verizon a little difficult, since they're CDMA. And I'm not sure if Apple would want to do business with Verizon anyways; they're kind of notorious for being sticklers about various phone features, and Apple pretty clearly wanted that whole "mandatory data plan" thing.

Now, Sprint, on the other hand, might have a chance, since they're usually pretty decent about featurephones - and they're CDMA also, so that might open a slight door for Verizon folks who are willing to do a little hacking around. But that's just pure speculation, dependent on whether or not Apple wants to do a CDMA iPhone.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:46 AM
  #32
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The only thing I can conceive of is that the iPhone is apparently GSM-only, and that basically means AT&T or T-Mobile, and I guess AT&T won the negotiation. And that decision likely would have been made for international sales reasons; GSM's pretty much the only way to go in Europe last I checked.

That would make a move to Verizon a little difficult, since they're CDMA. And I'm not sure if Apple would want to do business with Verizon anyways; they're kind of notorious for being sticklers about various phone features, and Apple pretty clearly wanted that whole "mandatory data plan" thing.

Now, Sprint, on the other hand, might have a chance, since they're usually pretty decent about featurephones - and they're CDMA also, so that might open a slight door for Verizon folks who are willing to do a little hacking around. But that's just pure speculation, dependent on whether or not Apple wants to do a CDMA iPhone.
Ahhhh, right right right...I did read that technical stuff (to which I didn't understand in the least) but that makes sense. I also read recently that Apple has hired a bunch of engineers who specialize in CDMA so maybe they will go with Verizon.

Now that you mention it, I read that Verizon insists on having the logo'ed opening menu screen and Apple wanted nothing to do with that (among other things I am sure for both sides).

My fingers are crossed that the iphone goes to Verizon though. I mean my ipod touch is nice and all, but it doesn't fully cut it.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:19 AM
  #33
n8lhf
Registered User
 
n8lhf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to n8lhf
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJarod View Post
I'm getting an iPhone on November 25th when my upgrade is available, and to get myself pumped about it, I started looking at apps. I saw the old one you mentioned, and it was kind of meh. I looked around for other Blue Jackets apps, and the best one I could find was the THN one :\

I wonder how people make those anyway...
We had 4 iPhones and while they had some pretty nice features we turned two of them back in and got Blackberrys. The iPhone battery only lasted about a quarter of the time of the blackberry battery. We still have two of them just sitting around doing nothing but collecting dust.

n8lhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
  #34
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Now that you mention it, I read that Verizon insists on having the logo'ed opening menu screen and Apple wanted nothing to do with that (among other things I am sure for both sides).
I hadn't heard that, but it makes perfect sense. Verizon puts a lot of emphasis on its network brand; Apple puts a lot of emphasis on its own hardware brand. I'm pretty sure AT&T was basically told "now, we'll go with you, but the customers have to know this is an Apple product and it's really all us and we're the ones who get known for it," and AT&T's response was probably "yeah, okay, whatever, now gimmie those sweet sweet subscribers man!"

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
  #35
Dutchman1350
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8lhf View Post
We had 4 iPhones and while they had some pretty nice features we turned two of them back in and got Blackberrys. The iPhone battery only lasted about a quarter of the time of the blackberry battery. We still have two of them just sitting around doing nothing but collecting dust.

It may have been how you had the phone set up. If you have the phone set to search for wi-fi, or run apps, it drains the battery quickly. I only charge my iphone every 2-3 days because I set it not to search for wi-fi spots.

Dutchman1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
  #36
maz-23-
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Country: United States
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to maz-23- Send a message via MSN to maz-23- Send a message via Yahoo to maz-23-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
True, we still use those yellow post notes by 3M as well..., often!
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

maz-23- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
  #37
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz-23- View Post
Is nothing sacred? There's something deeply evil about the computer invading the sticky paper empire. Soon, we'll probably be over-run with trees and no longer able to see the forrest! Then you kids will have to find a way to text without walking into large pine trees. It'll serve you right!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
  #38
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Is nothing sacred? There's something deeply evil about the computer invading the sticky paper empire. Soon, we'll probably be over-run with trees and no longer able to see the forrest! Then you kids will have to find a way to text without walking into large pine trees. It'll serve you right!
Doubtful. They'll all be busy on their embedded communicator chips reminiscing about they "days we used to have to text each other" and playing "Virtual Logger."

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
  #39
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
You have a very dark vision, DSL.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
  #40
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Buncha luddites in here. I, for one, welcome our new computer chip overlords.


Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
  #41
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Buncha luddites in here. I, for one, welcome our new computer chip overlords.


Have you checked the mirror for a pod on your back, Viqsi?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:45 AM
  #42
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Have you checked the mirror for a pod on your back, Viqsi?
Had it installed just last week!

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.