HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers had Serious Trade Discussions With Boston regarding Kessel

Old
08-30-2009, 01:59 AM
gabevh3

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
An absolutely goofy idea. Boston would match and say thanks. No way Kessel considers putting himself in that position.

If the Rangers want him it would take Dubinsky + a prospect like Del Zotto.
if they match he has to sign or he can say he wants the rangers offer or to be traded ?
i was going on that notion and on the fact bos maybe cant give him a big contract but thats likely a dream .

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:10 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Instead of throwing an offer sheet at Kessel, which I don't even think is possible, couldn't Boston just sign Kessel which would keep them under the cap extension of 10%, then trade? Obviously Boston loses out on compensation from us or whoever, but it would be reasonably better if they did have to get rid of him.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Instead of throwing an offer sheet at Kessel, which I don't even think is possible, couldn't Boston just sign Kessel which would keep them under the cap extension of 10%, then trade? Obviously Boston loses out on compensation from us or whoever, but it would be reasonably better if they did have to get rid of him.
And Boston would have to lower their demands because they would have to make the trade. We could get some players very cheap.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
The Bruins will trade Savard rather than lose Kessel. He will be unrestricted anyway and he makes 5 million a year.
I don't know about that, I don't know what Boston management thinks but to me Boston is a team where the chain is stronger then each links. But they have two links who are stronger then the rest and thats Chara and Savard.

Like take either of Kessel or Krejci and put them in Florida and who knows where they would be right now; defnitly not scoring the pts they did for Boston is my bet atleast.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:11 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
An article on the Bruins board mentioned that Kessel may be on his way to SJS.

Quote:
“When the right thing is there,” Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News, referring to trade talks, “having that flexibility is a wonderful thing under this system, being able to explore things or put closure to them. When the timing is right and it makes sense to both teams, you have the flexibility and those things can happen.”

Also, talk won’t go away that the Sharks are set to give Bruins restricted free-agent winger Phil Kessel an offer sheet.
Unless your interested in hearing the whole Heatley Saga, AGAIN the rest of the article just discusses the trade between the Canucks and Sharks.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../10665396.html

EDIT- Bruce Garrioch wrote the article, so take it as a grain of salt.

Last edited by The Perfect Paradox: 08-30-2009 at 12:16 PM.
The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:47 PM
FOXHOUND*

would be another stupid move for the Sharks they would be better off trading for him. Correct me if im wrong, but San Joses prospect pool isnt much to look at (seriously correct me if im wrong because im just going off what i heard), so to offer sheet him they probably be giving up the 1 2 and 3.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
would be another stupid move for the Sharks they would be better off trading for him. Correct me if im wrong, but San Joses prospect pool isnt much to look at (seriously correct me if im wrong because im just going off what i heard), so to offer sheet him they probably be giving up the 1 2 and 3.
Which is a great price for a 21 year old player with Kessels skills. Most likely they won't be getting anyone near that good with any of those picks (late round picks in each).

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Kessel for Higgins, #1 and #2

Larry Brooks says that Phil Kessel may be raided with Boston unable to match, being forced to take #1, #2 and #3.

I was wondering if we could deal #1, #2 and Chris Higgins for Kessel. Higgins is definitely worth more than a second rounder, actually more than a second rounder.

He's inexpensive enough that Boston can afford him, while being a solid second liner. Boston also gets a pair of high picks for Kessel. Maybe we throw in someone like Sauer too.

It's not a great trade for them, but they are desperate and it's better than to risk having Kessel signed away as an RFA or even just to sit for half a year.

From the Rangers point of view, they get to add a first line winger who's still just 21 years old. Whoever they draft next year, they will be merely hoping he'll be something like Kessel. This way, they get a sure thing.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Boston would NEVER do that deal. They could get 10x better.

Old
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
eco's bones

One problem is Kessell is going to make more money than Higgins and probably enough that then signing Dubinsky is going to put us over the cap--another deal would have to be made to clear some cap space.

It's not a bad idea all in all though I'm not sure Boston doesn't have other options. If I were them I might think about moving Bergeron and keeping Kessell.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

If anything, you're looking at more for Kessel than what it would take to get Heatley. The kid scored 3 less goals than Heatley and is 7 years younger, and is going to be paid a few million dollars cheaper.

I'd say Higgins, Anisimov/Grachev, and a 1st is starting point.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:47 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
If anything, you're looking at more for Kessel than what it would take to get Heatley. The kid scored 3 less goals than Heatley and is 7 years younger, and is going to be paid a few million dollars cheaper.

I'd say Higgins, Anisimov/Grachev, and a 1st is starting point.
Agreed and agreed.

And don't forget Kessel also played 12 less games then heatley last season.

Old
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Agreed and agreed.

And don't forget Kessel also played 12 less games then heatley last season.
Not only that, but Spezza and Savard are top flight playmaking centers, so it's not like Kessel played with a far and away better center.

Savard's probably a better playmaker by a little, but Spezza is a better goal scorer. I'd say overall they're about a wash.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
The Bruins will trade Savard rather than lose Kessel. He will be unrestricted anyway and he makes 5 million a year.
The Bruins have been shopping Kessel. I've not really heard anything solid that they have shopped Savard.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

And if you laid an offer sheet on Kessel, you would be inviting retaliation. Hmmm...wonder who could that be? Oh yeah, Dubinsky.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
LordLucic*

We were kindly asked to come over here and explain how Kessel has more value than some people here think.

Kessel is a 21 year old 4th year player who is coming off a 36 goal season in 70 games (42 goal pace). He is already proved he is a good playoff player, he has played 15 games in the playoffs in his short career, he has scored 9 goals, has 6 assists for a total of 15 points (A PPG in the Playoffs). There is a myth that he is only that good cause of Marc Savard but that is completely false. Any one who watches him shows he creates his own goals more than he doesn't.

See the first 30 seconds of this clip:

Also see this clip:

His short comings as a player are his defensive game and his use of the body. He has improved greatly on the defensive end (although he isn't any where close to where an NHL star should be but he is probably the player that hustles the most on the back check even if he isn't that good at it). He will never be a physical presence but he isn't one who is afraid to muck a little in the corners.

Kessel is a huge talent and definitely has the potential to be a 50 goal scorer. He will not come cheap as your kind mod FLYline24 has stated.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 04:01 AM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
And if you laid an offer sheet on Kessel, you would be inviting retaliation. Hmmm...wonder who could that be? Oh yeah, Dubinsky.
Don't think so. They already have problems with cap hit and they have signed Kessel yet. No way they could sign Dubi to offer sheet (at least not for any significant amount).

Old
08-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

It would probably be Staal the following year, as the money freed up via Savard/Morris would easily allow it.

Although they'd probably be inviting someone else (or Sather again) to offer Lucic something then.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Nich

I think all in all what his value is and what the b's will actually get for him are two different stories.

I mean there is a reason why you guys can't sign him, and seeing as you can't reach his contract demands while staying under even the summer cap (cap + 10 percent), the B's have put themselves between the proverbial rock and a hard place

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It would probably be Staal the following year, as the money freed up via Savard/Morris would easily allow it.

Although they'd probably be inviting someone else (or Sather again) to offer Lucic something then.
Staal's gonna be signed during this season, he'll never hit the free agency. I'd sign him for at least 5 years, 4M a year. Anyway, if Bruins signed him for more, I'd still match (unless they'd give him sth like 7M).

Old
08-31-2009, 07:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
Staal's gonna be signed during this season, he'll never hit the free agency. I'd sign him for at least 5 years, 4M a year. Anyway, if Bruins signed him for more, I'd still match (unless they'd give him sth like 7M).
Seriously? He's not going to command nearly that much money.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
more like the lines of 2.5-3.25 for 3 or 4 years

Old
08-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're probably right, especially when he's not eligible fot arbitration, but what about 8 years, 4M per. I would take it in a heartbeat. If we sign him for 3 years, 2.5 per, we'll have to pay him much more for the next years.

Old
08-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
You're probably right, especially when he's not eligible fot arbitration, but what about 8 years, 4M per. I would take it in a heartbeat. If we sign him for 3 years, 2.5 per, we'll have to pay him much more for the next years.
8 years? especially since the cap is estimated to go down? yeah, stupid move. sign him for a 3-4 year deal that takes him up to 1 year before being a UFA.....thats the smart thing to do.

and how do you propose we'd get his 4 mil to fit under the cap next year?

Old
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

50 goals?

Kessel is not going to score 50 goals.

That would be putting him in the same category as Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley... there is no way shape or form he is anywhere near those players.

EXTREMELY overrated.

He's worth a couple of draft picks and Dubinsky, IMO, and nothing more.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote