HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed w/ link: Ehrhoff/Lukowich to VAN for P. White/D. Rahimi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
  #376
ttam103
Registered User
 
ttam103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Shark fans don't have to worry.

In 2-3 years. Your going to love White. White is going to be much like Ryan Clowe.


It's kind of typical for the same Vancouver fans to completely continue to bash their players after their traded. Most of them who bash White has never seen him play.


Don't look at White's stats to judge him as he is still developing physically. Kid's don't fully mature until their 20's. This guy's game is on being physical and when he's on, he'll take over the game. He's always Mr.Clutch in crucial situations. White will have a fantastic year in Minnesota next year.



I'm sad to see him go, but the Canucks had H.Sedin, Kesler, Hodgson down the middle and all of those players will likely sign long term. White wouldn't have had an opportunity in Vancouver but it works out for the best, as the Canucks were able to get a defense man that they needed in Ehrhoff.
He may develop into a nhl player, but I think its not wrong to consider him a bust for a first round pick. He was picked way off the board so that shouldnt be a big surprise. The Canucks recent first round pick played on the same team as White and was playing on the top lines while White was playing on the bottom two. Not sure how long a 'prospect' can continue to be a 'project' before hes considered a bust. But White seems to be in that area.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
  #377
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Can the Nucks fan stop coming on here and telling us how bad you think he is? It's not helping us... remember, we all feel like we've got a monumental hangover today and the party last night was not a good one...


Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:02 PM
  #378
Rey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
He may develop into a nhl player, but I think its not wrong to consider him a bust for a first round pick. He was picked way off the board so that shouldnt be a big surprise. The Canucks recent first round pick played on the same team as White and was playing on the top lines while White was playing on the bottom two. Not sure how long a 'prospect' can continue to be a 'project' before hes considered a bust. But White seems to be in that area.
He wasn't picked off the board. ISS and CSS both ranked him at 23rd.

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  #379
coooldude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
On first glance I would say this trade is a total win for Vancouver. I don't say that with homer glasses, or to be a dick, but if you had told me "Hey, if you could trade Rahimi and White for a top 4 d-man who is good on the PP and a servicable veteran 7the d-man, would you do it?"
Luko is better than a serviceable veteran 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I just don't get you people.

Marleau was fantastic last season, our best player behind only Boyle. He outplayed JT almost the entire year, AND in the playoffs.

You guys just get something stuck in your head and won't let go no matter how many stats or facts are trotted in front of you.

Marleau isn't the greatest leader, he is a fantastic player.
I agree. If Marleau can suck up the disappointment of losing the captaincy, we'll have the same very, very good two-way forward without as much annoying "he's not a great leader" baggage.

NOW FOR THE TOPIC OF THE DAY:

Clearly a salary dump, clearly a rough return. **** happens. But, before everyone goes and expects heatley, take a more global perspective. Vancouver isn't going to start the year with 8 D-men on roster, Ehrhoff/defensement wanted in Ottawa (rumor)... a lot of signs point to Heatley going to Vancouver. Now, we might get some sort of a dump back the other way as a result, in a strange 3-way trade. who knows what this might be, but I don't think we're getting Heatley and I also don't think we're getting nothing more before the season starts.

That being said, i wouldn't be surprised if Doug really does keep this cap space open for much of the year. He's generally the kind of GM to wait until the season is ongoing, so that he can pick negotiating spots where he has leverage, and where he knows our team needs help. Right now, it's just all a black box.

Sorry to see Ehrhoff go, and not a great return as of now, but let's wait and see what happens in the next few weeks or months before we all go jumping off bridges.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
  #380
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!
 
MadmanSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
We best be getting Bernier back if we are involved in a three way trade

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:42 PM
  #381
Docter419
Registered User
 
Docter419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Auburn, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Docter419
I for one would like to see Heatley here, because we are going to screw up in the playoffs no matter what we do so we might as well score a buttload of goals in the regular season and have a good time.

Docter419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:46 PM
  #382
sharksfansd
Registered User
 
sharksfansd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docter419 View Post
I for one would like to see Heatley here, because we are going to screw up in the playoffs no matter what we do so we might as well score a buttload of goals in the regular season and have a good time.

sharksfansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
  #383
solipsist02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Hi all,

I have read the boards for a while, but have not really found a need to post until now. The trade on its face is very disappointing. Ehrhoff is a good defenseman, and will likely be for a long time to come. Getting so little in return feels very disappointing. However, there is an important point that I think was the impetus behind this trade that I have not seen come up yet. The salary cap next year is expected to go down; the estimates I have seen are around 10% (I don't have a cite for that, its just what I recall Willson saying he expects the cap to lower.) My understanding is that will lower the cap by around $5 million dollars. As such, this move is in anticipation of next year. Yeah, this trade hurts, but this would have been a lot worse had Wilson done little to alleviate the problem now and waited until next year. While people are saying that Blake cost us Ehrhoff, I would like to point out that Blake is still a one year deal, and will be off the books next season. Ehrhoff would have still been on the books next season, and would still likely have needed to be moved.

As for the value of the trade, I do not follow trades as closely as some people on these forums. However, I would invite someone to point to a trade that has occurred thus far that swapped so much salary cap space for no roster players. The only other trade I can think of is the Malakhov trade for a 1st round pick. If that trade is kept in mind, the value is comparable. A trade that takes on this much salary is very rare.

Also, I would like to point out, if this trade were offered on the proposals portion of this site it would have been shot down (one, because of value), but two, because of Vancouver's salary situation. In part, the Sharks overpayed in order to entice Vancouver to absorb so much salary. In short, while this trade doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, I think it is a reality of a hard salary cap where the cap is expected to go down. I would predict similar trades taking place next year when more teams are feeling a pinch because the cap has been lowered.

solipsist02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:45 PM
  #384
WineShark
Registered User
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsist02 View Post
Hi all,

I have read the boards for a while, but have not really found a need to post until now. The trade on its face is very disappointing. Ehrhoff is a good defenseman, and will likely be for a long time to come. Getting so little in return feels very disappointing. However, there is an important point that I think was the impetus behind this trade that I have not seen come up yet. The salary cap next year is expected to go down; the estimates I have seen are around 10% (I don't have a cite for that, its just what I recall Willson saying he expects the cap to lower.) My understanding is that will lower the cap by around $5 million dollars. As such, this move is in anticipation of next year. Yeah, this trade hurts, but this would have been a lot worse had Wilson done little to alleviate the problem now and waited until next year. While people are saying that Blake cost us Ehrhoff, I would like to point out that Blake is still a one year deal, and will be off the books next season. Ehrhoff would have still been on the books next season, and would still likely have needed to be moved.

As for the value of the trade, I do not follow trades as closely as some people on these forums. However, I would invite someone to point to a trade that has occurred thus far that swapped so much salary cap space for no roster players. The only other trade I can think of is the Malakhov trade for a 1st round pick. If that trade is kept in mind, the value is comparable. A trade that takes on this much salary is very rare.

Also, I would like to point out, if this trade were offered on the proposals portion of this site it would have been shot down (one, because of value), but two, because of Vancouver's salary situation. In part, the Sharks overpayed in order to entice Vancouver to absorb so much salary. In short, while this trade doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, I think it is a reality of a hard salary cap where the cap is expected to go down. I would predict similar trades taking place next year when more teams are feeling a pinch because the cap has been lowered.
Welcome to the boards! Thanks for the insight.

Along those lines, I read this again from the Pollak blog:
Wilson identified four players – Derek Joslin, Jason Demers, Mike Moore and Nick Petrecki – who are expected to be battling it out in training camp for a spot on the San Jose roster. Even without Ehrhoff and Lukowich, Wilson said, the Sharks have a “very mature” defense with Dan Boyle, Rob Blake, Douglas Murray, Kent Huskins and even the younger Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
“Integrating one of your younger defensemen is what happens around the league,” Wilson said. And he compared the makeup of the prospects he mentioned — “a high compete factor, an edge” — to that of Joe Pavelski and Mitchell, forwards who made a smooth transition into the NHL.
Your point about already looking to next year is supported by DW's comments. He moved Ehrhoff (and Goc) because they lacked a "compete factor" and in his mind, he wants to start to integrate younger (and cheaper) players in the defensive mix that do have the compete factor he is looking for. In effect for this year, he traded out Ehrhoff (for nothing), and that left him enough to sign Huskins who is also a good skater, but carries a lower price.

Also to your point about a lower cap, this also gives him flexibility for the deadline when he will be able to pick up a player he needs from a team that has a player signed to a term that needs to plan for a lower cap.

I don't buy DW's rationale above that he is integrating in younger players. He could have done that by not signing Huskins and bringing in one of the young guys if that was the goal. Ehrhoff was already one of the younger players and DW boxed himself into a corner for the second year.

edit: Here is the SJSharks.com take on the trade .... it addresses all the positives about the trade and ignores that we got spittle in return for a good player under a fair contract. Lipstick on a pig seems appropriate for this piece: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...mpid=rss-staff


Last edited by WineShark: 08-29-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added SJSharks.com link
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
  #385
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Thanks for deciphering this...trying to bottom line it...

If White is a complete bust and doesn't get redrafted and no NHL team at all makes him any kind of offer at the end of his college days - does SJ get a 2nd round pick? If yes, are they getting Vancouver's 2nd, or is it one of those magical league "bonus" picks?
If the Sharks lose his rights and he re-enters the draft or becomes a UFA they will be awarded a Compensatory Draft Selection - it does not matter if he is undrafted or unsigned.

The Compensatory Draft Selections are add'l picks granted by the league. A team receives the same slot in the second round as the player was originally drafted in the first round - in White's case (drafted #25 by Vancouver), the Sharks would receive the 25th pick in the second round (#55). The team originally @ #55 would just get bumped down to #56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 8.3
8.3 Compensatory Draft Selections.

(a) In addition to the seven (7) rounds of the Entry Draft, there shall be an
additional number of Compensatory Draft Selections not to exceed the number of Clubs
to be in the League in the following year.

(b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice
drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a
required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who is again eligible for the Entry Draft or
becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically
be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical
choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club
loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first
round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
  #386
solipsist02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Welcome to the boards! Thanks for the insight.
Thank you.

Assume that DW had not signed Huskins (which,btw, I have never confirmed as to whether its $1.7 million over two years, or if its $3.4 million over two years, the latter does seem excessive considering his pay last year.) and had just integrated another young player. This would have put the Sharks under the cap slightly, with more players left to sign this year. It would not necessarily have been a complete solution, another trade would probably have had to occurr. Further, next years concerns would not have been addressed through such a solution. The sharks could very likely have been $5 million over the cap next year had nothing been done and the cap had been lowered. While I was surprised when I saw the trade, in hindsight, I think it had to be done. There are a few players on the sharks that have enough salary to dump, and still are valuable to another team. Ehrhoff, Michalek, perhaps Murray, and maybe Clowe. I don't think this trade could have been made with Cheechoo. His value is too low for a team to take his salary without salary coming back, and that would defeat the purpose of this trade.

Looking at what the sharks have in the system, it would appear we have a few more defenseman ready than we do forwards. As such, it becomes apparent why Ehrhoff was the one traded. He had a high salary, was worth something, and could be replaced the easiest. While the Sharks are not as good as they were last year, they will be able to compete for the next few years much more easily because of this trade.

solipsist02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:10 PM
  #387
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
If for any reason White is not signed by the Sharks, they get a compensatory second round pick - nothing to do with Vancouver as these are additional picks added to the second round by the league.

Once he has not had an offer and his rights expire then he becomes UFA.
Actually, if he leaves school early his draft rights expire on 6/30/11 and he is eligible to be selected in the 2011 entry draft - and he will NOT become a UFA. The Sharks would receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the 2011 Entry Draft.

If he remains in school through the graduation of his class his draft rights expire on 8/15/11 and he is eligible to sign as a UFA. If unsigned by the 2012 Entry Draft, he would remain eligible to be drafted again. In this case the Sharks would receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.

One possibility that the CBA does not address is that, since draft rights are held for different lengths for different classes of draftees, it is possible that two teams could have a claim on the same Compensatory Draft Selection - ie if While leaves school early and the #25 pick in the 2009 draft remains unsigned, both players would generate a #55 Compensatory Draft Selection in the 2011 draft.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:10 PM
  #388
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsist02 View Post
Thank you.

Assume that DW had not signed Huskins (which,btw, I have never confirmed as to whether its $1.7 million over two years, or if its $3.4 million over two years, the latter does seem excessive considering his pay last year.) and had just integrated another young player. This would have put the Sharks under the cap slightly, with more players left to sign this year. It would not necessarily have been a complete solution, another trade would probably have had to occurr. Further, next years concerns would not have been addressed through such a solution. The sharks could very likely have been $5 million over the cap next year had nothing been done and the cap had been lowered. While I was surprised when I saw the trade, in hindsight, I think it had to be done. There are a few players on the sharks that have enough salary to dump, and still are valuable to another team. Ehrhoff, Michalek, perhaps Murray, and maybe Clowe. I don't think this trade could have been made with Cheechoo. His value is too low for a team to take his salary without salary coming back, and that would defeat the purpose of this trade.

Looking at what the sharks have in the system, it would appear we have a few more defenseman ready than we do forwards. As such, it becomes apparent why Ehrhoff was the one traded. He had a high salary, was worth something, and could be replaced the easiest. While the Sharks are not as good as they were last year, they will be able to compete for the next few years much more easily because of this trade.
How can you say we would be 5 million over the CAP next year when 15.175 comes off the books with just Patty, Nabby and Blake.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:17 PM
  #389
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood View Post
OMG!!!! The Sky is falling!!!!!


We needed to clear cap space and we did. Luko for those two guys would not have done much for cap space. It had to be done, and it is unfortunate, but lets move on from it. Someone was going to fall on the sword, and it was Erhoff. If he could have gotten a better deal, he would have. It is tough to negotiate when teams know you are already stuck in cap hell. Lets wait and see what else happens.
This is an excuse. That's all it is. This is giving Doug Wilson an excuse for making mistake after mistake. They could have saved the cap space by not signing Rob Blake and Kent Huskins (also save a 4th rounder). They could have gotten a lot better return if they moved these two at the draft or before free agency.

Ehrhoff didn't need to 'fall on the sword'. Frivolous signings caused this and bad decision-making caused this. The choice was between Ehrhoff and Cheechoo and for what the two bring on the ice, Ehrhoff is clearly the keeper.

If there's any justice in the world, this will be Doug Wilson's last season as Sharks GM. They're not winning the Cup. They should still win the division because the Pacific is weak and they should still finish 2nd at the very least but they're not any closer to being a contender at this stage.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
  #390
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This is an excuse. That's all it is. This is giving Doug Wilson an excuse for making mistake after mistake. They could have saved the cap space by not signing Rob Blake and Kent Huskins (also save a 4th rounder). They could have gotten a lot better return if they moved these two at the draft or before free agency.

Ehrhoff didn't need to 'fall on the sword'. Frivolous signings caused this and bad decision-making caused this. The choice was between Ehrhoff and Cheechoo and for what the two bring on the ice, Ehrhoff is clearly the keeper.

If there's any justice in the world, this will be Doug Wilson's last season as Sharks GM. They're not winning the Cup. They should still win the division because the Pacific is weak and they should still finish 2nd at the very least but they're not any closer to being a contender at this stage.
I think you are being hopelessly optimistic. LA has gotten better, Anaheim has gotten somewhat better (with maybe a slight drop on defense), and if Dallas doesn't have the massive injury problems they had last year, they will be much better. I'm more than willing to put money out that the Sharks will not win the division. And depending on how bad this bottom-6 and defense with 3 new players goes, they may struggle to make the playoffs. They coasted last year because they got off to a good start, but the Sharks traditionally suck for the first few months. Last year was more of an abberation. If they return to form, they will around 10th in the West come Christmas, and will need to play perfect hockey to make the playoffs. One injury to JT, Boyle or Nabby and their season is pretty much over.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:35 PM
  #391
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think you are being hopelessly optimistic. LA has gotten better, Anaheim has gotten somewhat better (with maybe a slight drop on defense), and if Dallas doesn't have the massive injury problems they had last year, they will be much better. I'm more than willing to put money out that the Sharks will not win the division. And depending on how bad this bottom-6 and defense with 3 new players goes, they may struggle to make the playoffs. They coasted last year because they got off to a good start, but the Sharks traditionally suck for the first few months. Last year was more of an abberation. If they return to form, they will around 10th in the West come Christmas, and will need to play perfect hockey to make the playoffs. One injury to JT, Boyle or Nabby and their season is pretty much over.
Not really. To me, the Ducks are thinner on D with questions in net. Yes, Hiller played a great playoff series against the Sharks but it's still different to be the man consistently for an entire season which he's yet to show. LA is not going to make the playoffs with Ersberg and Quick in net. They're better but Ryan Smyth and Rob Scuderi aren't going to push them in. I believe Dallas can give them the best competition throughout the season but their D is relatively weak. If they stay healthy up front, they have the best shot to me. There's really nothing saying that Boyle or Thornton are going to get hurt. Their careers show that they're durable. Nabokov on the other hand may but the team has been able to win w/o him in net and it's whether or not Greiss can step up and fill the role. I believe the Sharks would still be fine in the regular season with losses to any of the three you mention.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:49 PM
  #392
solipsist02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
How can you say we would be 5 million over the CAP next year when 15.175 comes off the books with just Patty, Nabby and Blake.
The sharks will likely try to resign both Marleau and Nabakov. I can't see letting either of them walk. I would expect that the cost for signing both of those will cost at around $10 million for the two of them. If the sharks didn't resign them, I don't think Greiss is ready to take the reins yet, and I don't know that the sharks could easily replace Marleau. Further, we haven't filled out our roster for this year, and next year Pavelski and Setoguchi are likely going to get significant raises. With how the sharks were configured before, I could see them being in dire straits in regards to the cap next year. At least this way, they have some flexibility in order to take advantage of someone else's misfortune, or at the very least, make sure they don't have any more of their own.


As for the notion that if Thornton or Boyle go down, there goes the sharks season: that's the way hard salary caps leagues work. If a big star goes down, the team just isn't going to do as well. If either of them went down last season, they wouldn't have done nearly as well then either.

solipsist02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:53 PM
  #393
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsist02 View Post
The sharks will likely try to resign both Marleau and Nabakov. I can't see letting either of them walk. I would expect that the cost for signing both of those will cost at around $10 million for the two of them. If the sharks didn't resign them, I don't think Greiss is ready to take the reins yet, and I don't know that the sharks could easily replace Marleau. Further, we haven't filled out our roster for this year, and next year Pavelski and Setoguchi are likely going to get significant raises. With how the sharks were configured before, I could see them being in dire straits in regards to the cap next year. At least this way, they have some flexibility in order to take advantage of someone else's misfortune, or at the very least, make sure they don't have any more of their own.


As for the notion that if Thornton or Boyle go down, there goes the sharks season: that's the way hard salary caps leagues work. If a big star goes down, the team just isn't going to do as well. If either of them went down last season, they wouldn't have done nearly as well then either.
Regardless of your assumptions, which I dissagree with, the numbers come off the books and the Sharks have choices. I am not going to do the numbers until the season starts, but as of now I believe we will have around 20mill of CAP space to work with next year. Plenty of space, with or without Ehrhoff. This was a dump for this year.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:57 PM
  #394
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,655
vCash: 500
Unless we're winning the Cup, he is not resigning either. Although he might resign Nabokov for cheap if Greiss still aint ready.

I'd like to believe that he didn't look for better outcomes is because this deal is a part of a bigger deal like last year... maybe I'm just rationalizing.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
  #395
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
Can the Nucks fan stop coming on here and telling us how bad you think he is? It's not helping us... remember, we all feel like we've got a monumental hangover today and the party last night was not a good one...

Well hey, at least 2nd round picks have value at the trade deadline. With the extra cap space you guys could be active and pick up a pretty good player at least? I'm convinced that this deal is Rahimi and a 55th overall pick, and really, with your guys's great scouting staff you should be able to turn that pick into a great prospect if you don't trade it away, so don't get all down about it.

Plus hey, if it ends up that you guys get Kessel or Heatley out of it then that's cause for celebration.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:07 PM
  #396
solipsist02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Regardless of your assumptions, which I dissagree with, the numbers come off the books and the Sharks have choices. I am not going to do the numbers until the season starts, but as of now I believe we will have around 20mill of CAP space to work with next year. Plenty of space, with or without Ehrhoff. This was a dump for this year.
So do the islanders, and I don't find their position to be envious. You act as if good players can be had at will. I don't agree. We need to retain our best players as best we can, and at this point, Marleau and Nabakov are two players that need to be retained. I would not expect them to be replaced easily.

Also, I would ask, does the $20 million include any expected drop in the salary cap? My understanding is that teams expect for one to occur.

solipsist02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:14 PM
  #397
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
If the Sharks lose his rights and he re-enters the draft or becomes a UFA they will be awarded a Compensatory Draft Selection - it does not matter if he is undrafted or unsigned.
Thanks! So it sounds like the compensatory would NOT be the Canucks' second rounder in the traditional sense, but it WOULD be a Canuck second rounder in the compensatory sense as Vancouver would have the extra pick as well if White busted out etc.

In my mind the deal then washes out as a 2nd round pick and $4.5M in cap space for Erhoff (all the other players involved are eminently replaceable). Can argue about whether or not SJ should have ever gotten itself into such a tight cap dilemma, but given they are, it's really not that bad a deal.

  Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:21 PM
  #398
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 8,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think you are being hopelessly optimistic. LA has gotten better, Anaheim has gotten somewhat better (with maybe a slight drop on defense), and if Dallas doesn't have the massive injury problems they had last year, they will be much better. I'm more than willing to put money out that the Sharks will not win the division. And depending on how bad this bottom-6 and defense with 3 new players goes, they may struggle to make the playoffs. They coasted last year because they got off to a good start, but the Sharks traditionally suck for the first few months. Last year was more of an abberation. If they return to form, they will around 10th in the West come Christmas, and will need to play perfect hockey to make the playoffs. One injury to JT, Boyle or Nabby and their season is pretty much over.
Not to single you out for this one quote but the same can be said for the Ducks if they lose Getzlaf, Nieds or even a Perry. And obviously the Stars with MOrrow or Richards as we saw last year. You can't plan for long-term injuries - they just happen and the team has to deal.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
  #399
galiano
Registered User
 
galiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: why do you ask ?
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Shark fans don't have to worry.

In 2-3 years. Your going to love White. White is going to be much like Ryan Clowe.


It's kind of typical for the same Vancouver fans to completely continue to bash their players after their traded. Most of them who bash White has never seen him play.


Don't look at White's stats to judge him as he is still developing physically. Kid's don't fully mature until their 20's. This guy's game is on being physical and when he's on, he'll take over the game. He's always Mr.Clutch in crucial situations. White will have a fantastic year in Minnesota next year.



I'm sad to see him go, but the Canucks had H.Sedin, Kesler, Hodgson down the middle and all of those players will likely sign long term. White wouldn't have had an opportunity in Vancouver but it works out for the best, as the Canucks were able to get a defense man that they needed in Ehrhoff.
Shark fans should ignore any further posts from Patrick White's father. ( or is that you Patrick ?? )

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
  #400
marc-edouard grier
 
marc-edouard grier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Tajikstan
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Well hey, at least 2nd round picks have value at the trade deadline. With the extra cap space you guys could be active and pick up a pretty good player at least? I'm convinced that this deal is Rahimi and a 55th overall pick, and really, with your guys's great scouting staff you should be able to turn that pick into a great prospect if you don't trade it away, so don't get all down about it.

Plus hey, if it ends up that you guys get Kessel or Heatley out of it then that's cause for celebration.
Still a **** trade in terms of value tho, considering that there are probably at least 5 teams out there that would've taken Ehrhoff, if not now, then at least during the draft/free agency period for full value, and maybe even overpayment. Either that, or Wilson was an idiot for offering him that contract.

Also, Heatley just means this team is beyond ****ed this year, as there will be a ton of AHLers on the roster behind him, and getting Kessel still means more room has to be made.

marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.