HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

White/Rahimi to SJS for Lukowich/Ehrhoff

Old
08-28-2009, 04:17 PM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Assuming what Gillis says is true (that our defense core is now set), what line combinations can you see AV using on defense? I'll have a crack at mine:

Mitchell/Bieksa
Salo/Edler
Ehrhoff/Schneider

O'Brien
Lukowich

PP1: Edler/Salo
PP2: Ehrhoff/Schneider

Bieksa fills in on the pp whenever Salo/Schneider are injured
Our PP is so loaded this year. We have so many scoring defensemen at the end of the year their collective totals will equal another full forward scoring line or two.

Also, Ehrhoff's speed should help immensely on our breakouts. We didn't have anyone on the team last year that could effectively skate the puck out of our own zone. So many D to D passes and hanging around in our own zone and eventually coughing up the puck.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Harold Druken

Wooooo!!! Gillis is a machine!!! Woo! There must be something else in the works now though...exciting

Harold Druken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
windflare

Gillis on trade, Sundin

Gillis on 640AM in Toronto, transcription courtesy of Paul from KuklasKorner.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...talks_canucks/

Quote:
Gillis Talks Canucks

by Paul on 08/28/09 at 04:34 PM ET
Comments (0)

Mike Gillis of the Canucks was just on the Bill Watters Show on 640am in Toronto. He feels he defense can now generate 180-200 points from his defense and that is what he was looking for.

He said you need puck moving dmen and offensive-minded too in order to be successful in the league.

They realized depth at D was an issue and felt they needed 8 NHL type dmen to succeed this year.

Bill asked him about Sundin, Gillis said they have had discussions with him over the summer and after his wedding this week, he will let them know if he is coming back. Says Mats was happy playing in Vancouver and liked the city. Said Sundin was a force in the room and would be happy to have him back. Mike did say he would have to be in Vancouver from day 1 and Mats realizes that too.

Gillis feels the Canucks need to work on their discipline and felt they should have won the Chicago series. PP struggled and more offense should have been generated from their defense.

With Luongo they know they will not be drafting high and feels 20 goals+ from six players this season is expected from the current roster.

added 4:40pm, As Greg Brady (co-host with Bill) just said, it sounds like Sundin is coming back. Stated Gillis would have shot-down the Sundin talk but it sure did not seem that way.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Let's also not forget that we can always trade a defencemen like Bieksa or Ehrhoff next summer if we need the cap space.
Yeah, Ehrhoff would have had a lot more value earlier in the summer, when Burke was signing d-men like it was going out of style.

Considering Vandermeer still had some apparent value..

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I'm pretty sure he said Demitra and Bieksa.

Top six forward and top 2 d-man. Canucks get better at forward, deal surplus offensive d-man.

But wow would they every be screwed cap-wise in 08/09.
yea, great thoughts right here.

I would say don`t flesh out the trade more. Leave it at this analysis.

All trades should only be looked at in terms of offence

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yep, but I believe it's only if the Sharks offer him a contract. As far as I know, if he isn't offered a contract then they lose the rights to that pick.
As I read the CBA since he is in the NCAA they do not have to make him a bona fide offer to get the compensatory pick. The language is a little murky (and is that not a big surprise).

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:22 PM
windflare

Also, I believe that this means that Demitra really will start off the season on LTIR, if he's not traded. MG is not going to be trading Bieksa unless something drastic happens - instead, he'll be carrying 2 D and 1 F on the roster.

If Demitra is on LTIR to start off the season or traded, then it makes even more sense. However, if Sundin is thrown into this mix...

Then Gilman better be a freakin' magician.

Old
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As I read the CBA since he is in the NCAA they do not have to make him a bona fide offer to get the compensatory pick. The language is a little murky (and is that not a big surprise).
A 2nd makes this deal not as bad... still seems like it was "free" though, because I don't think anyone counted on that pick around here.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
I wonder if this also puts Raycroft ahead of Schneider for the backup position. If Gillis is going to run that close to the cap, every dollar counts.
It would seem Raycroft will back up Luongo - wonder if Roberto is good for 82 games and the Olympics?

Old
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Also, I believe that this means that Demitra really will start off the season on LTIR, if he's not traded. MG is not going to be trading Bieksa unless something drastic happens - instead, he'll be carrying 2 D and 1 F on the roster.

If Demitra is on LTIR to start off the season or traded, then it makes even more sense. However, if Sundin is thrown into this mix...

Then Gilman better be a freakin' magician.
I think that it's pretty much a given that Sundin isn't coming back... Gillis is just towing the company line here... he wants him back, thinks he's valuable, blah blah blah...

if Sundin decides he wants to come back, it'll be a deal that doesn't effect the cap - such as a 1yr $1mill contract, with a depth forward (Wellwood/Raymond) being dumped... if he wants to come back here, he made his money last year, and this year will be another run on hopefully a more complete team.

my guess is that he'll "officially" announce his retirement before camp starts.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I think that it's pretty much a given that Sundin isn't coming back... Gillis is just towing the company line here... he wants him back, thinks he's valuable, blah blah blah...

if Sundin decides he wants to come back, it'll be a deal that doesn't effect the cap - such as a 1yr $1mill contract, with a depth forward (Wellwood/Raymond) being dumped... if he wants to come back here, he made his money last year, and this year will be another run on hopefully a more complete team.

my guess is that he'll "officially" announce his retirement before camp starts.
Gillis just said he wants 8 NHL defensemen... like last year but better.

We started with Mitchell, Salo, Ohlund, Edler, Bieksa, O'Brien, Davison, Nycholat. Then Nycholat was claimed and he got Vaananen.

If there is any movement, it will be up front. But from the sounds of it he knows either Demitra is hurt, Wellwood/Hodgson have one spot to battle for, as well as O'Brien/Lukowich. Did he not say he didn't want to move anyone?

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
A 2nd makes this deal not as bad... still seems like it was "free" though, because I don't think anyone counted on that pick around here.
It is also a couple of years down the road since White has two years NCAA eligibility left. The UFA date is 15 August in the year in which his college class graduates if he stays in school for the full four years.

If he leaves school early then under terms of the CBA, any player who does not remain a college player through the graduation of his applicable class, must submit a letter stating his intention to turn professional. Upon submission of that letter, the club holding his rights shall have 30 days to sign the player. If the player and team cannot reach an agreement within that 30 day period, the player becomes a free agent. This was the Blake Wheeler situation when he did not sign with the Coyotes and went as a free agent to the Bruins as he left Minnesota after his third year.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 08-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old
08-28-2009, 04:33 PM
CCF23

Sundin may be enticed by all the moves Gillis is making. An already good team has a distinctly better defense, would have a bit better forward group with him back and Samuelsson and Hodgson added, and are already set in goal.

Gillis could really make the pitch to Sundin that this year could be his one more very legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup, because, seriously...If Mats takes a cheap deal with us, this team has to be considered a legitimate cup contender. I'd even go so far as to consider this team, with Sundin, a top 5 team in terms of favourites to win.

Old
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Bourdon

I wonder what this means for Mitchell next year. I guess he's asking him to sign for a sizable discount, like what he asked of Morrison and Ohlund.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
9GWG9

Great move by Gillis to take advantage of the fact SJ is in a week position right now. Well done.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

You got two good defenseman. Luko has an attitude albeit his knees are giving out on him and I doubt he has the legs for 82 games, still a fine bottom pairing defenseman.

Ehrhoff has top pairing potential and has improved each year. He has a cannon of a shot but is very inaccurate with it thus far. Last year he cut down on the backswing and had far more success. He is a fast skater and recovers well in a backcheck situation. His plus minus is the question about him. He makes some bone headed plays when he's pressured. No pressure - no problem. The question to be answered is this a problem that he can grow out of, or a problem that will never be solved because he gets they yips.

Like most people, I would suggest this was a fleecing in that it would appear the Sharks traded a player with an acceptable contract and upside as a top pair, for a second rounder. And .... we threw in a bottom pairing vet for good measure. Somehow, I think most on this board would have taken Luko alone for the players we got. You guys gotta be happy tonight!

08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

I appreciate how Ehrhoff's salary fits in with the rest of the D. No D-man making over 4m. Good deal, and I would think it'll ultimately keep future raises lower aswell. Mitchell won't demand to be the highest paid D-man on the team, but even if he does, he'd be worth it.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
windflare

Farhan Devji updates on Ernhoff, media quotes:

Quote:
farhandevji "I know Vancouver has great, passionate fans and I’m excited to be part of a great hockey community." - Ehrhoff #Canucks
2 minutes ago from web

farhandevji Christian Ehrhoff will be traveling to Vancouver tonight to take his physical. #Canucks

Old
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Kaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is also a couple of years down the road since White has two years NCAA eligibility left. The UFA date is 15 August in the year in which his college class graduates if he stays in school for the full four years.

If he leaves school early then under terms of the CBA, any player who does not remain a college player through the graduation of his applicable class, must submit a letter stating his intention to turn professional. Upon submission of that letter, the club holding his rights shall have 30 days to sign the player. If the player and team cannot reach an agreement within that 30 day period, the player becomes a free agent. This was the Blake Wheeler situation when he did not sign with the Coyotes and went as a free agent to the Bruins as he left Minnesota after his third year.
The pick is from the NHL, not us. So this trade is free.

Kaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaesar View Post
The pick is from the NHL, not us. So this trade is free.
Yes?

Old
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
CCF23

By the way, you can now officially count me as a fan of the "sit back, let other teams go crazy, keep some cap room and pounce on some poor sap that overspent" approach.

Old
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
I will use my 6,000th post to provide nicknames for the current Canucks defensemen... some you will recognize right away, some not (probably because I made them up on the spot: see Ehrhoff)

Big Willy
Juice
Cannon
AE
Hot Dog
The Hoff
SOB
Lugs

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
By the way, you can now officially count me as a fan of the "sit back, let other teams go crazy, keep some cap room and pounce on some poor sap that overspent" approach.
Don't forget wait 2 months to sign UFA defenseman in saturated market for half of what they would have gone in first week.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Macke*

Sundin? uh...over the cap by what? 2.5-3 million?

Sundin would be a very tight fit at the minimum and Sundin taking the minimum? rofl...

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Don't forget wait 2 months to sign UFA defenseman in saturated market for half of what they would have gone in first week.
Indeed. Gillis has done a masterful job. We went from a week ago wondering if our defense would be ever as good as last year, to now having a pretty clearly better D, better depth, and had some of the key issues addressed (Ehrhoff addresses speed and Ehrhoff and Schneider both address the need for a true PP QB and puck movers).

If the season started today we're pretty clearly a better team than we were last year. If we can some way, somehow add Sundin...Jesus.

Quote:

Sundin would be a very tight fit at the minimum and Sundin taking the minimum? rofl...
The guy has never won a cup. This could be the best chance he has at this point. I couldn't see him doing it if it was a longshot, but this team, with him, is a very real contender and if he has that desire to not leave without taking his best shot at winning, that's probably in Vancouver, this year.