HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

White/Rahimi to SJS for Lukowich/Ehrhoff

Old
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Rey

vCash: 500
I like this deal. Make sense.

San Jose obviously saw the potential in Patrick White that was worth giving up a young top 4 defense man in a Ehrhoff. This is a immediate impact. Patrick White will be a good player San Jose in 2-3 years with more opportunity than he'd get in Vancouver with Henrik, Kesler, Hodgson down the middle.

Daniel Rahimi will likely never be a NHL regular. He's too slow, at best a 5/6 defense man. Brad Lukowich isn't that great of a defense man but he doesn't take stupid penalties like Bieksa and O'Brien.

Those who say it's purely just San Jose's cap dump to get marginal prospects are incorrect. Ehrhoff does have a lot of value, for those who think White is a bust. Need to think again. There are several of teams willing to sacrifice picks and prospects, even roster players for Ehrhoof. It was no coincidence that they just decided to take White and Rahimi.

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It does not sound like it if you listen to Dave Gagner:

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=2249

Sounds like White was on the outside looking in.

It doesn't sound like White was out of the plans at all. He commented on Grabner, Hodgson, Schneider, and White.

You'd have to give him a piece of humble pie for him to say good things about all the players. Obviously, White still has to develop while the other 3 could all be NHL ready. This is common sense.

Old
08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Rey, is that you? White and Potential. Really?
Seriously?

Because people watch Patrick White play, their opinions are voided by people who only look at stats/never seen him play?

How ironic, eh?

Old
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Yes. They still have 3-4 spots to fill before the season, which leaves no room for Heatley.
Posted this in the Trades/rumors forum:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=676243

Old
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
You have to figure if someone had actually proposed this deal he/she would have been laughed at mercilessly.
I think the Canucks alone have proven that any trade is possible and that most of the users on here have no idea what will/won't be accepted.

The Luongo trade? Wouldn't have thought for a million years that would've gone through.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:31 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Seriously?

Because people watch Patrick White play, their opinions are voided by people who only look at stats/never seen him play?

How ironic, eh?
You should venture over to the wild.com forum, it's full of goofs fans. You'll have to search hard for any "White has potential" people. His "fans" are few and far between. Luckily we don't have to care anymore.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:38 AM
pitseleh

Caught this report about White on the Sharks board, from X-SHARKIE:

Quote:
"I'm not a fan of his at all, had my GM asked me if I would trade for this guy I would've said no," says an Eastern Conference NHL scout based out of Minnesota, who agreed to share his off the record report on White in return for remaining anonymous. "He's a soft player, he doesn't compete, and he looks scared to upset anyone because he might have to battle them for the puck. He looks like he should be a player. He has some size and skills, a really great shot, but he doesn't compete and doesn't win battles. I also can't believe the Sharks traded that Bonino kid, the kid's a stud!"
http://www.sharkspage.com/2009_08_01...59362975634434

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
You should venture over to the wild.com forum, it's full of goofs fans. You'll have to search hard for any "White has potential" people. His "fans" are few and far between. Luckily we don't have to care anymore.

Why exactly would Minnesota Wild care about Patrick White? They were all over him during his draft year but why now? He's not they're property. You won't see anything about Schroeder anymore either.

Old
08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Caught this report about White on the Sharks board, from X-SHARKIE:

http://www.sharkspage.com/2009_08_01...59362975634434

Anyone who follows hockey prospects or Patrick White knows that it takes a couple years for physicality to be developed. Especially in a league full of men.

That was the sole reason why White was considered a "project".

Old
08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post

BTW - our bet is still on.

I don't want you to make an excuse next year even though White isn't Canucks property.

Old
08-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
BTW - our bet is still on.

I don't want you to make an excuse next year even though White isn't Canucks property.
Wanna bet something that White doesn't end up a Ryan Clowe type, like you told the Sharks' board that he would?

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Don't get too high on Ehrhoff, you'll only be disappointed.
Canucks fans were already badly disappointed in White and Rahimi.

At least Ehrhoff and Lukowich have proved capable of playing in the NHL.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I like this deal. Make sense.

San Jose obviously saw the potential in Patrick White that was worth giving up a young top 4 defense man in a Ehrhoff. This is a immediate impact. Patrick White will be a good player San Jose in 2-3 years with more opportunity than he'd get in Vancouver with Henrik, Kesler, Hodgson down the middle.

Daniel Rahimi will likely never be a NHL regular. He's too slow, at best a 5/6 defense man. Brad Lukowich isn't that great of a defense man but he doesn't take stupid penalties like Bieksa and O'Brien.

Those who say it's purely just San Jose's cap dump to get marginal prospects are incorrect. Ehrhoff does have a lot of value, for those who think White is a bust. Need to think again. There are several of teams willing to sacrifice picks and prospects, even roster players for Ehrhoof. It was no coincidence that they just decided to take White and Rahimi.
It was a salary dump pure and simple. At this point White is a bust and is unlikely to unbust.

White gives the Sharks a second round compensatory pick.

Old
08-29-2009, 11:21 AM
tantalum

White has not developed as you would expect a first round pick to develop. His coach has said that and the canucks have said that. Not to say he can't develop into a player because of course he still can. However, right now he doesn't seem to be on a path that ends with a NHL career. To get on that path he has to make some significant strides this year. To get on a path where he becomes somewhat of an impact player in the NHL he's going to have to make positively huge strides the next year or two.

At this point White is more likely a guy that gets passed on a depth chart rather than a guy who does the passing. Though at least for White the Sharks are lacking centerice prospects at this time.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
It doesn't sound like White was out of the plans at all. He commented on Grabner, Hodgson, Schneider, and White.

You'd have to give him a piece of humble pie for him to say good things about all the players. Obviously, White still has to develop while the other 3 could all be NHL ready. This is common sense.
That was about as close to trashing one of your prospects as you are going to see.

Believe what you wish but the writing was clearly on the wall for Patrick White as a Canucks' prospect - he was in fact a suspect.

White still has to develop to become a better than average NCAA player.

Just applying common sense.

Old
08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Anyone who follows hockey prospects or Patrick White knows that it takes a couple years for physicality to be developed. Especially in a league full of men.

From what I'm reading in these scouting reports the problems have absolutely nothing to do with his physical package; apparently he has a pro-level shot, and size already plus he's very skilled. The kid has mental issues - the way it's quoted almost sounds like a polite way to say he's a wimp, and a total push-over with limited competitive drive.

Those things don't just develop.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
I think the Canucks alone have proven that any trade is possible and that most of the users on here have no idea what will/won't be accepted.

The Luongo trade? Wouldn't have thought for a million years that would've gone through.
However this trade is on a whole other WOW level.

Old
08-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Why exactly would Minnesota Wild care about Patrick White? They were all over him during his draft year but why now? He's not they're property. You won't see anything about Schroeder anymore either.
Maybe because they are in a position to watch him play regularly?

Old
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

The assessment had nothing to do with physical development. It was all about heart, desire and the drive to compete - the same things that Dave Gagner identified as lacking in White.

Old
08-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
White has not developed as you would expect a first round pick to develop. His coach has said that and the canucks have said that. Not to say he can't develop into a player because of course he still can. However, right now he doesn't seem to be on a path that ends with a NHL career. To get on that path he has to make some significant strides this year. To get on a path where he becomes somewhat of an impact player in the NHL he's going to have to make positively huge strides the next year or two.

At this point White is more likely a guy that gets passed on a depth chart rather than a guy who does the passing. Though at least for White the Sharks are lacking centerice prospects at this time.
The evolution of Patrick White:

Draft Pick > Prospect > Suspect > Compensatory Pick

Old
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
fdevji

LINK: http://fdevji.blogspot.com/2009/08/p...-to-trade.html

Quote:
I was able to catch up with Patrick White briefly earlier today, after he was traded to the San Jose Sharks along with Daniel Rahimi in exchange for Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich. Here's some of his reaction to the trade:

1. Were you surprised when you heard about the move?
White: Yeah I was. I talked to Dave Gagner today before he even knew about it so I was under the impression things were normal. I think it should be good for me and good for Vancouver though.

2. I know the Vancouver fans and media were pretty hard on you over the last few years.
White: I can't blame anyone for that; that's the life of hockey. Even when you play good sometimes you don't get credit.

3. How did you hear the news? Did Gillis call?
White: Yeah, he called but I missed it and so my adviser was the first to let me know. Gillis is tough to get back to; he’s a busy man.

4. Have you talked to Jordan Schroeder at all?
White: No I haven't. I'll probably see him tomorrow though.

5. Thanks a lot, Patrick. Good luck next season and in the future with the Sharks organization.
White: Thanks. I will always be a Canucks draft pick.

fdevji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Peter Griffin

"White: Thanks. I will always be a Canucks draft pick."

That's kind of an odd thing to say.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

And therein lies the problem with White.

Old
08-29-2009, 11:44 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdevji View Post
Quote:
5. Thanks a lot, Patrick. Good luck next season and in the future with the Sharks organization.
White: Thanks. I will always be a Canucks draft pick.

nice parting shot at the Canucks.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:45 AM
fdevji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

To me, it sounded like he was trying to convey that although he thinks the trade will be good for him, he won't forget Vancouver because that's where he began his journey.

I don't see a problem with it.

fdevji is offline   Reply With Quote