Notices

Ducks Top 20 prospects, Fall 2009

Old
08-16-2009, 06:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Ducks Top 20 prospects, Fall 2009

Anaheim is much deeper between the pipes in this iteration of the Top 20.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Fighter
Legend

Nice read, good job!

The more I read about Gardiner, the more I like him.
On the other hand I'm pretty surprised to see Palmieri over Beleskey, is he that good? Also, Bonino was said to be a steal and everyone was so high on him, the report seems to be very good too; so why is he so low in the chart, even lower that the injury-plagued and somewhat disappointing McMillan?

By the way while our crop isn't as awesome as it was some years ago, it's definitely improving.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Talentless Practise*

Thanks, nice job. As usual, some oddities there for my mind like Kontiola over Deschamps and Bonino but overall a solid list.

Agree with Fighter, the pipeline is filling up nicely with talent again after a short while.

Edit. 220lbs might be 40 too generous for Holland.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Jimgrayson

I take it Salsa is considered too old now?

Jimgrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Surprised to see Bonino so low, given all the glowing praise of him from management.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
wesott11

Definatly a great read. It's good to see our prospect pool gaining strength... Nice to see our offense is catching up to our defense!

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
mashsoccer37

Where do you guys feel Tangradi would have ranked on your prospect list had he not been traded? I only ask because he is hands down the top prospect in the Pens prospect pool, which was considered pretty weak up until this year.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
Surprised to see Bonino so low, given all the glowing praise of him from management.
Yeah the writer doesn't know much about him clearly because I think he is in the top 5 easily. I mean hes behind Palmieri? Palmieri won't see the ice at Honda Center for at least 3 years from now and Bonino has an excellent shot at cracking the lineup within a year from now and as early as this season if injuries hit the Ducks lineup.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashsoccer37 View Post
Where do you guys feel Tangradi would have ranked on your prospect list had he not been traded? I only ask because he is hands down the top prospect in the Pens prospect pool, which was considered pretty weak up until this year.
Definately below Sbisa, Gardiner, Holland and probably Mitera too.

The Ducks article handed out pretty conservative grades unlike some organisational top 20s who give out 8.5Cs and 8Bs without much thought. Tangradi was rated 7.5C with the Ducks and jumped to an 8B with the Penguins despite being mostly injured after the trade.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Yeah the writer doesn't know much about him clearly because I think he is in the top 5 easily. I mean hes behind Palmieri? Palmieri won't see the ice at Honda Center for at least 3 years from now and Bonino has an excellent shot at cracking the lineup within a year from now and as early as this season if injuries hit the Ducks lineup.
Bonino can't play for the Ducks this year, he's without a contract and is going back to Boston to play one more year in College.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
The lists have never ranked based on proximity to NHL impact. Is it taken into consideration? sure, but not with as much weight as you seem to be giving it.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Bonino can't play for the Ducks this year, he's without a contract and is going back to Boston to play one more year in College.
As of now though he can't but I do recall that he can if the Ducks sign him and send him to the AHL then he can't go back to college but I do agree that he will play one more year in Boston (and tear it up). But I was trying to get the point across that Bonino is a stud and should be ranked higher then most of the prospects on the Ducks. I have friends that played with him before last season at BU and he has (in my opinion) the second best hands behind Getzlaf in the entire Ducks franchise.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
The lists have never ranked based on proximity to NHL impact. Is it taken into consideration? sure, but not with as much weight as you seem to be giving it.
Where would you have put Bonino, Kevin?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

From a glance, Pogge and Kontiola seem high. I was half expecting Pogge to not even make the list. Bonino I haven't seen and don't know much about, but based on the fact that Murray has an orgasm whenever he talks about him, he seems kind of low. I'd also have expected Bonino's potential rating to be higher (perhaps with a lower "likeliness" rating to match). The UFAs (Sexton, Sharp) are a little higher than I'd expect too.

Getting more into the details, shouldn't Gardiner's potential be higher, but riskier? He seems like the high-potential, risky type with his skating and his pretty-good-for-a-freshman's 21 points.

I also think the relative ratings of Mikkelson and Festerling need to be compacted a little (higher for Festerling, lower for Mikkelson). But that's probably due to the higher (but IMO unlikely) upside of Mikkelson, even though he's always been behind his teammate. And I'd expect Beleskey to still be higher than Mikkelson either way.

I didn't realize that Modig had done so well this season. Wasn't paying attention. It turns out he was 2nd in the league in SV% (to Monster Gustavsson) and 3rd in GAA (behind Gustavsson and ex-Lightning Holmqvist). Wow.

What's this about Deschamps being a 1-dimensional player? Wasn't he billed as a 2-way guy, who might not even translate his scoring to the NHL but might become a decent 2-way guy and forechecker? How was my picture of him so off?

The article really underscores how we're being screwed by the AHL situation. The 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 18th, and 19th prospects are all going to be affected by it. Especially 4, 8, 11, 14, 15, 18, and 19 as 1st year guys.

Hmm. Macenauer and Bailey are 2 guys I like for no rational reason, and I'd have figured they'd be in the top 20. Probably got pushed out by the UFAs that I know nothing about.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Guys I think should be higher:
Bonino
Kampfer
Deschamps
Brandon McMillan

Guys who I think should be lower:
Kontiola
Pogge
Mikkelson

Overall, a good job though. Better than anyone here could do.

Oh, and L.MacMillan=

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Definately below Sbisa, Gardiner, Holland and probably Mitera too.

The Ducks article handed out pretty conservative grades unlike some organisational top 20s who give out 8.5Cs and 8Bs without much thought. Tangradi was rated 7.5C with the Ducks and jumped to an 8B with the Penguins despite being mostly injured after the trade.
I've noticed this quite a bit as well. Our guys always seem to be rated very conservatively, and so many other teams' guys seem to get rated higher than they probably should.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Ville Isopää

Send a message via ICQ to Ville Isopää
Why is Kontiola even on the list? He signed a 2-year deal to play in KHL and is he returns to the NHL he will be a UFA at the time.

How/Why did Kampfer fall from 9th in last February to off the list 6 months later? He was back from the injury and doing good already at the last top 20 list. What did he do to fall out of the list and not even be a HM?

Ville Isopää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Hockey Duckie

ummm... In the article, Belesky is listed standing at 6'2". I thought he was a shade under 6' (or as I read his draft preview of '06). Did i miss something or did he grow an additional 2 inches? If so, wow. Is that why Tangradi became disposable?

It was a nice read. Although, I have to agree with some of the posters here... some players seem out of place ie Bonino, Festerling, and Bobkov come to mind.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:30 AM
duckster24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgrayson View Post
I take it Salsa is considered too old now?
Yes, I believe that's the case.

duckster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:12 AM
elduderino

This prospect update makes me really anticipiating the coming season! Watching Sbisa will be interesting. Just imagine a few years down the road, Sbisa and Gardiner as our first defense pairing, feeding Ryan and Getzlaf with great outlet passes.

I think our future first defense pairing in Sbisa and Gardiner will be better than Chicago's young guns like Seabrook and Keith.

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
mashsoccer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino View Post
This prospect update makes me really anticipiating the coming season! Watching Sbisa will be interesting. Just imagine a few years down the road, Sbisa and Gardiner as our first defense pairing, feeding Ryan and Getzlaf with great outlet passes.

I think our future first defense pairing in Sbisa and Gardiner will be better than Chicago's young guns like Seabrook and Keith.
You guys will love Sbisa, I've seen him play a couple times. He could improve on his positioning... I've noticed at times he takes himself out of the play to lay a big hit (which he usually takes the worse end of), but having a year or two to learn from Niedermayer will go miles in his development. I'm excited to have him out of my division.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Quackster

The latest edition of The Hockey News has listed the Top 10 Ducks prospects.

1. Luca Sbisa
2. Jake Gardiner
3. Peter Holland
4. Kyle Palmieri
5. Matt Beleskey
6. Mark Mitera
7. Brian Salcido
8. Nicolas Deschamps
9. Josh Brittain
10. Mattias Modig

Based on " The top prospects in each franchises system are listed in terms of NHL upside, not the order in which they're expected to arrive.

IMO, this is a much better list!

Quackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Yea, Brittain is WAY underrated on the HF list. He's going to be a nice player

08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
The latest edition of The Hockey News has listed the Top 10 Ducks prospects.

1. Luca Sbisa
2. Jake Gardiner
3. Peter Holland
4. Kyle Palmieri
5. Matt Beleskey
6. Mark Mitera
7. Brian Salcido
8. Nicolas Deschamps
9. Josh Brittain
10. Mattias Modig

Based on " The top prospects in each franchises system are listed in terms of NHL upside, not the order in which they're expected to arrive.

IMO, this is a much better list!

Bonino should be switched with Salcido, then the list would be close to perfect.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Talentless Practise*

I have a quetion regarding the way the grades are formulated, so if monsieur Forbes or any other staff member happens to read this, please speak up.

I've been checking out some of the other top-20 lists for teams around the league and while I do not claim to be an expert nor do i think it's a particularly important matter, it does seem to me some writers tend to be more generous than others in their grading. So my question is, how much.. er.. cross-referencing is done between staff to ensure players of similar talent and upside are given a similar rating?

To give an example, Viktor Stalberg -86, of the Maple Leafs, who had just over a PPG in NCAA has a significantly higher rating than Ben Maxwell -88, of the Canadiens, who was just under a PPG in the AHL as a rookie. I'd pick Maxwell each and every time.

Note that i don't expect Forbesy or anyone elso to give a "report" on why these particular prospects were rated as they were, that was just one of those that seemed peculiar to me.

Edit. And ofcourse there is the Pittsburgh writer on crack... Simon Despres is rated higher than Brayden Schenn or Nazem Kadri.

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 08-19-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote