HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Let the Heatley Hysteria continue. But please, consider the source.

07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
CBJSlash

I was told we would only be responsible for 4 million dollars of his salary this year. The rest was bonus.

Senschirp is a pretty good source

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
But if we have Filatov, Voracek, Brassard, or whomever worth a big raise, we could certainly look into dealing them for assets. Just because players play well enough to earn a big contract doesn't mean we have to give it to them. Although you want to keep your homegrown talent, if Heatley at $7 million is exponentially better, and more proven, than X player at $4 million, you make it work.
Potentially. That's kind of what I was referring to when I said "voodoo magic". I'd much prefer lower cost talent to stay with the organization.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
CapnCornelius

Repeat after me--there is no salary cap issue.

People are concerned about 3 years out...a year in which we are currently $27 million under the cap. Plenty of time to move assets, replace guys with less expensive players, etc. Detroit has 3 guys make $6 million plus this season, and they are significantly under the cap, but we can't do it with just two guys making more than $6 mill/year?

In the meantime, in those first two years after Heatley's acquisition we could contend for a championship.

I think some of you have been conditioned to only accept cheap signings.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
RDriesenUD

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=989

Just wanted to say I agree with this post. I didn't get to respond before the thread was closed. Plus, you want to maximize the talents of your best player. Make him worth what you are paying him, too . Which is the better way to do that?

Nash - Brassard - Huselius

or

Nash - Brassard - Heatley

I also think it would be okay to trade Filatov for Heatley. I would prefer to avoid doing that, but it would be okay. We are hoping Filatov can become, some day, as good as a guy like Heatley already is. Also, I probably wouldn't be as for this if Heatley wasn't still just 28.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
section 204

Add to the argument that Heatley's contract is significantly front-loaded (6 mil in 12/13 and 5 mil in 13/14), and it gives some credence to payroll flexibility down the road even with his 7.5 mil cap hit.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Repeat after me--there is no salary cap issue.

People are concerned about 3 years out...a year in which we are currently $27 million under the cap. Plenty of time to move assets, replace guys with less expensive players, etc. Detroit has 3 guys make $6 million plus this season, and they are significantly under the cap, but we can't do it with just two guys making more than $6 mill/year?

In the meantime, in those first two years after Heatley's acquisition we could contend for a championship.

I think some of you have been conditioned to only accept cheap signings.
Filatov, Mayorov, Voracek, Hejda, Mason. And this is after decisions on Brassard, Russell, Vermette, Kesla, Methot, and any other entry-level guys we may or may not add.

There is a potential cap issue. There are ways around it, but pretending there isn't one is folly.

(That said, if one of the youngsters that would be resigned - thus contributing to the cap issue - is involved in this trade, it does minimize the potential impact.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

I go back and forth, while the thought of a Nash-Brass-Heater line is very tempting, I want to hear exactly what Ottawa would be looking for...They've been good trading partners so far, so I would think they'd be fair.

I'm just not sold where Filatov fits into the system, he's small, plays little defense, not that heatley plays defense either, but he is already a #1 forward, not a 4th liner breaking in...No way would I even consider if Brass or Russ were involved....those two are entrenched in the lines already and we know what we have....Juice + Filatov for Heatley and a late pick??? something around those lines I can see. Or can we get Heatley and Kuba for Juice, Filatov, and ????

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
I go back and forth, while the thought of a Nash-Brass-Heater line is very tempting, I want to hear exactly what Ottawa would be looking for...They've been good trading partners so far, so I would think they'd be fair.

I'm just not sold where Filatov fits into the system, he's small, plays little defense, not that heatley plays defense either, but he is already a #1 forward, not a 4th liner breaking in...No way would I even consider if Brass or Russ were involved....those two are entrenched in the lines already and we know what we have....Juice + Filatov for Heatley and a late pick??? something around those lines I can see. Or can we get Heatley and Kuba for Juice, Filatov, and ????
They'd probably send some salary back on a short term basis - most likely Jason Smith (UFA after this year).

Old
07-06-2009, 10:23 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

First Havlat to the CBJ rumors, now Heatley.

Should be interesting, would be nice, but somehow I'm not convinced by any stretch of the imagination. Is Senschirp somewhat accurate (honest question, as I have no clue)?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Who were the people who brilliantly called that Auld for Russell trade?

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post

Should be interesting, would be nice, but somehow I'm not convinced by any stretch of the imagination. Is Senschirp somewhat accurate (honest question, as I have no clue)?
The folks on the Sens board say he's got a very good track record. Seeing as though he apparently broke the Kovalev signing about an hour early not too long ago, I think I can see why.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Filatov, Mayorov, Voracek, Hejda, Mason. And this is after decisions on Brassard, Russell, Vermette, Kesla, Methot, and any other entry-level guys we may or may not add.

There is a potential cap issue. There are ways around it, but pretending there isn't one is folly.

(That said, if one of the youngsters that would be resigned - thus contributing to the cap issue - is involved in this trade, it does minimize the potential impact.
As does trading them in the future. The fact is, if our prospects play good enough to where we can't afford them, that is a good thing. That means we probably win a lot of games in the next 2 years. It also means teams would want them and would be willing to trade us good young players/picks for them.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Bob Stauffer of 630 Ched Edmonton just posted on the Oilers forums that he spoke to Management at the Jackets and they told him there was zero truth to this Eklund stuff.
For what it's worth.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:32 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post

They seem to be. Thats where I went to get info on possible trades with Ottaw during the trading period last year.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Who is Bob Stauffer?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Of course they did. No one in "management" is going to say any trade or signing is happening or in the works. Not saying it isn't true, but I doubt you will find Howson or anyone in the front office admitting to stuff like this to radio guys.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Kev22

Quote:
While I have my doubts about this trade scenario happening, it makes perfect sense that an Edmonton reporter doesn't want this trade to happen.

I know we've floated some names about who would be headed to Ottawa, but does anyone have specific predictions they want to make known?

I'll go with:

To Columbus:

Danny Heatley
Jason Smith

To Ottawa:

Kristian Huselius
Nikita Filatov
Marc Methot

I don't know, I'm not too good at these proposals.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Guys? Howson used to work for the Oilers. I'm not shocked at all if there are radio guys there who have contacts with him.

Just 'cause I said "take it for what it's worth" doesn't mean it's worthless.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Guys? Howson used to work for the Oilers. I'm not shocked at all if there are radio guys there who have contacts with him.

Doesn't make it gospel either. CBJ management isn't going to come right out and say "Yeah, we're in talks right now!" Reality is, we have no idea what's going on.

But we have Sens Chirp and Eklolund vs Oilers Radio guy...My guess is that there are or were discussions but aren't or weren't serious yet.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Doesn't make it gospel either. CBJ management isn't going to come right out and say "Yeah, we're in talks right now!" Reality is, we have no idea what's going on.

But we have Sens Chirp and Eklolund vs Oilers Radio guy...My guess is that there are or were discussions but aren't or weren't serious yet.
Very true. Just pointing out that it's just as acceptable or dismissable as the rest.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:

seeing as both teams are potentially going for Heatley, i wouldnt be totally upfront with the Edmonton media if i was Howson

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Very true. Just pointing out that it's just as acceptable or dismissable as the rest.
Pretty much.

Eklund makes me very...skeptical of this whole thing, though.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

hmmm... seems that almost any deal/signing we have made HASN'T been pre-empted by rumor. that said, the Vermette/Leclaire swap with OTT is the only one that did sorta come out before it happened.

While this isn't a move that seems likely as far as our needs, I wouldn't doubt Hitch/Nash and therefore Scotty being at least interested in what kind of deal it would take to acquire Heatley. Httch has coached him and Nash has played on a line with him for Canada.

I won't lie-as much as I want to shrug this off as almost certain bullsh*t, it gets me a little excited. If we make this happen without moving Brassard, I might not be upset. That said, I think we have the pieces to contend with or beat the Edmonton deal.

Interesting to see if this develops any further or dies on the vine.

my swipe:

Huselius
Boll
1st in 2010 (or D-prospect Ruth/Goloubef)

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:51 PM
MFRONE

I'm surprised Porty hasn't come out of the woodwork yet to completely shoot down this rumor yet

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote