HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Searching for positives

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 01:34 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Searching for positives

Those of you with long memories will remember my predictions for the Oilers season going back to last summer were that we'd be one of the teams on the playoff bubble, and we sure were. The one time I put a number to it, I said probably 9th or 10th, and we were there, too. And before the season, I said that after last years' hollow playoff loss against the :mad: Stars :mad: I didn't really care if we made the playoffs, and sacrificing the long-term for another first-round loss was pointless. Well, I was wrong about that one-- missing the playoffs sucks.

However. I think that much like the last time we missed the playoffs, the 2001-02 season, is wasn't the beginning of a down-cycle, it's a transitional year. And with that in mind, I'm making a list of positives from this season.

-no Oilers playoffs means that my final grades will improve by a whole letter.

-depth at defense has improved greatly from start of season.

-several forwards made big strides this season. Horcoff went from "Clearcoff" at the beginning of the season to a useful contributor by the end. Torres arrived from nowhere to score 20, and has a big future. Dvorak proved how valuable he can be. Ethan Moreau showed what he's made of, and Pisani showed that he has the makings of a Mini-Moreau. York had another solid season as an Oiler.

-transition from the Salo Era to the Not Salo Era. Conklin sucked tonight, but I'm still pretty amped about the idea of a Conklin/Markkanen rotation for next season.

-transition from the Comrie Era to the Not Comrie Era. Hopefully the Oilers will be able to use the money they've freed up to bring in a quality offensive center. If it's Nedved, great. If it's somebody else, that's great too. We do have the money, and we should be able to bring somebody in, either as a free agent or via trade.

-Marc Andre Bergeron showing his potential as an offensive D and point-man. The future is friendly.

-just the general improvement from mid-season to end of year. I've said before and I'll say again: the Oilers aren't a mediocre team, they're a solid team that's missing a couple of key pieces. With the new goaltending tandem and a borrowed Nedved, we had a glimpse of where this team might have been if those pieces had been added sooner.

Last edited by oilers_guy_eddie: 04-04-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old
04-04-2004, 01:37 AM
VO #23

Another positive...the Oilers will undoubtedly have a better golf handicap than the Flames when the courses open.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:57 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23
Another positive...the Oilers will undoubtedly have a better golf handicap than the Flames when the courses open.
How do figure that? The Flames have had 7 years of early golf seasons! Thats a lot of extra time to tweek your game!

Old
04-04-2004, 03:02 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Always a treat to hear from our friends at the Mensa Society.

More positives:

-the Flames fans and Nucks fans will be trolling at each others' boards instead of here

-one of them will be first-round losers.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:08 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Always a treat to hear from our friends at the Mensa Society.

More positives:

-the Flames fans and Nucks fans will be trolling at each others' boards instead of here

Being an Oilers fan living in Calgary, for the love of god, I hope it's the Flames!
It will be intolerable otherwise!

Old
04-04-2004, 03:09 AM
VO #23

Quote:
Hatred of Canuck bandwagon fans/trolls might be the only thing that can unite Flames and Oilers fans.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:12 AM
The Rage

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Whether our most hated rivals lose, or the team that kicked us out loses, I'll be celebrating either way.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Hatred of Canuck bandwagon fans/trolls might be the only thing that can unite Flames and Oilers fans.
huh? unite ... whats that mean?

lol, but I have a lot of respect for calgary this year. Sutter gets an A. You look at the roster and you don't see a playoff team for sure ... but Sutter got em there.
I was really starting to feel for you guys after last year 8)

PT

Old
04-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Watching the game tonight, it's clear the Oilers have a lot of Character, and they never quit in this game. I was biting my nails right up until the Torres penalty.

At least next year there won't be the whole Comrie situation to be distracted by, and there is clearly a lot of talent there. Even without Mike Comrie.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Oil miss the playoffs next year.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
If not for the early hole you dug yourselves, I think us Pred fan's may have been lookin' from the outside in. Good job of makin' it close, I'm sure next year will be brighter.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:27 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
One positive: thanks for being classy fans for the most part.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:48 AM
Tarkus

At least it wasn't Dallas who ended our season (for the umpteenth time, I might add)...

Old
04-04-2004, 04:12 AM
Superfluous U

Quote:
I have to live in Vancouver, and I was being asked at the end of the game who I was cheering for in the playoffs between Van and Calgary by a Flame fan and a Canuck fan. I kept looking back and forth and finally yelled "WHY CAN'T THEY BOTH LOSE!!"

Old
04-04-2004, 04:14 AM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
At least it wasn't Dallas who ended our season (for the umpteenth time, I might add)...
But it was Mike Keane, and he used to play there. After Keane got the second one, I half expected Guy Carboneau to jump on the ice and pot a hat trick.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:26 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Just wondering since he's one of my favorite players, how big was the loss of Marty for most the season?

Old
04-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Just wondering since he's one of my favorite players, how big was the loss of Marty for most the season?
It was a combination of his and York's injury's that hurt the most. We could've survived if only one went down, but when York went down to lose arguably our best 2 centers, it hurt a lot.

Old
04-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Yanner39

I think there are alot of positives, mostly mentioned by OGE. Basically, the goaltending wasn't there for a good part of the year. Not to crap on Salo again (it's been played before), but a <.900 average just won't cut it. That with the bad PP put the Oilers behind the eight ball.

All in all, it's really hard to complain about the season based on the great last 20 games they gave us. I woke this a.m. disappointed but not nearly as pissed off if this morning would have came 20 games ago.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:56 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I think there are alot of positives, mostly mentioned by OGE. Basically, the goaltending wasn't there for a good part of the year. Not to crap on Salo again (it's been played before), but a <.900 average just won't cut it. That with the bad PP put the Oilers behind the eight ball.

All in all, it's really hard to complain about the season based on the great last 20 games they gave us. I woke this a.m. disappointed but not nearly as pissed off if this morning would have came 20 games ago.
I think there are a lot of positives too. I think our defense looks very positive for the next couple of years... including dumping Ferguson, and trading Cross, and maybe even trading Smith if Lynch lights it up at camp.

Brewer Smith
MAB Ulanov
Semenov Staois

I think that our forwards have are looking good too... although I think we need to either keep Nedved, or get another first line forwards. Horcoff or York will not do IMO.

As for goaltending... I hope that Markkanen can continue his good play for us:if he does this I'm OK with the prospect of the coming year, although I still think that JDD is a number of years from being a starter, so going out and getting a starter would not be terrible.

Finally, although I'm positive for next year, I'm very positive for two years from now. With the exception of Oates, Smith, Ulanov, Cross and Staois, all of the players are going to be better. The above mentioned are far out weighed by MAP, Niinimäki, Mikhnov, Lynch, Woywitka, Greene, Rita, and Salmo, and the improvement of the rest of the team. Throw in JDD, and I think we will have a very good team.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:34 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous U
But it was Mike Keane, and he used to play there. After Keane got the second one, I half expected Guy Carboneau to jump on the ice and pot a hat trick.
Keane is one of those fringe players who has tormented this team alot in the past. He was the guy who last year, after Dallas eliminated Edmonton in Edmonton, and the fans were in shock & didnt want to leave the rink, kept waving goodbye to people and saying "Its over, go home, you lost, Its over."

Benoit Hogue is another one of those players who seemed to stick the knife in just at the right moment....Guy Carboneau as well. Ahh.... Im still pissed off about not making it this year. Big time.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Keane is one of those fringe players who has tormented this team alot in the past. He was the guy who last year, after Dallas eliminated Edmonton in Edmonton, and the fans were in shock & didnt want to leave the rink, kept waving goodbye to people and saying "Its over, go home, you lost, Its over."

Benoit Hogue is another one of those players who seemed to stick the knife in just at the right moment....Guy Carboneau as well. Ahh.... Im still pissed off about not making it this year. Big time.
Wasn't Kirk Muller part of that stupid Grumpy Old Men line too?

Old
04-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
The loss was huge.. he was penciled in to be our checking line centerman and he would have likely been the guy promoted to the first line after Comrie's exit and York's injury. Likewise, he had a great start to the season and was actually starting to show some of the scoring potential he owns before he went down.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:13 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Huge. This guy would have received the same minutes and treatment as Marchant did last year this year. Dare I say we finish 4 points better if Marty plays at least 70 games?
He was really starting to show alot of skill and composure. His confidence was really evident early on. And then that stupid race to avoid an icing call with Marchment..... After the injury happened, you could see Bryan saying "Wheres Don Cherry when you need him" on the CBC feed, a reference to the no-touch icing idea which would have prevented Marty's injury.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Wasn't Kirk Muller part of that stupid Grumpy Old Men line too?
Yep! I believe it was Keane/Carbeneau/Muller or something like that.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:18 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Yep! I believe it was Keane/Carbeneau/Muller or something like that.
* shudders

Old
04-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Cerebral

Bleh, one goal I'll always remember from the playoffs is Mike Keane's shot from the halfboards that beat Salo.. I'm not sure what game it was but it was like 30 seconds in and just totally killed me.

Closed Thread