HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Searching for positives

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Keane is one of those fringe players who has tormented this team alot in the past. He was the guy who last year, after Dallas eliminated Edmonton in Edmonton, and the fans were in shock & didnt want to leave the rink, kept waving goodbye to people and saying "Its over, go home, you lost, Its over."

Benoit Hogue is another one of those players who seemed to stick the knife in just at the right moment....Guy Carboneau as well. Ahh.... Im still pissed off about not making it this year. Big time.
I remember that. i also kinda had a smile when i saw it was Keane who Torres Cranked.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:10 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
I remember that. i also kinda had a smile when i saw it was Keane who Torres Cranked.
It may have been Douggie's tip on an undeserved PP that ultimately ended the Oil's 25th season, but Keane definetaly did his part last night. And compounded with all the past crap he's pulled on this team in his Dallas days, I hope a member of the Oilers remembers last night well and cranks him a real good one next season (if there is one). That guy is playing on borrowed time right now.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Matts

16-5-4-4

in the last 29 games.

Last night's loss kicked them out of the playoffs but I can't say that's the definitive game.

Look at the stretch before that. The Oilers down this stretch, great to be sure.

The nails were hammered before last night and they just couldn't stay hot long enough

Old
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
....I was wrong about that one-- missing the playoffs sucks.
Yup. It really does.

Quote:
However. I think that much like the last time we missed the playoffs, the 2001-02 season, is wasn't the beginning of a down-cycle, it's a transitional year. And with that in mind, I'm making a list of positives from this season. ...

Quote:
-depth at defense has improved greatly from start of season.
You have to give Lowe and the Oilers coaching staff some credit for the play of the defense. For some reason the Oilers D always looks a LOT better on the ice than they do on the roster sheet. But the fact that Ferguson is on the outside looking in (as much as I like Fergy) that has to show that the depth has improved, even if Brewer hasn't taken the phantom 'big step forward' that all Oiler fans keep waiting for.

Quote:
-several forwards made big strides this season. Horcoff went from "Clearcoff" at the beginning of the season to a useful contributor by the end. Torres arrived from nowhere to score 20, and has a big future. Dvorak proved how valuable he can be. Ethan Moreau showed what he's made of, and Pisani showed that he has the makings of a Mini-Moreau. York had another solid season as an Oiler.
Torres was a pleasant surprise. To me the poor play by Horcoff in oct/nov was a bigger surprise than his resurgence.

Seeing just how good of an all-around player that Dvorak is ... that's the biggest positive for me from the Oilers forwards this season. And seeing that York's good play in the last 4 months of '02/'03 wasn't an aberration ... but a sign of things to come.

Quote:
-transition from the Salo Era to the Not Salo Era. Conklin sucked tonight, but I'm still pretty amped about the idea of a Conklin/Markkanen rotation for next season.
yeah, me too.

Quote:
-transition from the Comrie Era to the Not Comrie Era. Hopefully the Oilers will be able to use the money they've freed up to bring in a quality offensive center. If it's Nedved, great. If it's somebody else, that's great too. We do have the money, and we should be able to bring somebody in, either as a free agent or via trade.
The concensus seems to be that the Oilers enter the off-season as a buyer rather than a seller. How wierd is that? ... and in a good way.

Quote:
-Marc Andre Bergeron showing his potential as an offensive D and point-man. The future is friendly.
I really like Bergeron. It'll be a two-steps-forward --- one-step-back thing with him for a couple years probably. But the kid has had an impact.

Quote:
-just the general improvement from mid-season to end of year. I've said before and I'll say again: the Oilers aren't a mediocre team, they're a solid team that's missing a couple of key pieces. With the new goaltending tandem and a borrowed Nedved, we had a glimpse of where this team might have been if those pieces had been added sooner.
I agree again. And by the sounds of it so do most Oiler fans. Both the ones I know and the ones calling in to The Team 1260 showa ... at least when I've been listening.

Let's hope that they can keep this bunch together, add a decent centre, and find a way to make the powerplay work. Should be a very good team, and one day soon.

IMO the only area for worry is Reasoner ... he was just playing so so well for the calendar year before he buggered his knee, a very key player on the team. But that's a serious injury. A lot of players need a year or two to regain their form after something like that, and some never really do.

Old
04-07-2004, 04:06 PM
barto

Good point about Horcoff - after his strong finish the previous year (into the WCs) and his hard work in the off-season, he definitely failed to live up to expectations for the first couple of months. He did mostly salvage his season with another strong finish, but that really needs to be looked at somehow for next year...how do you get this guy to play like that at the start of the year?

Other positives: PP actually was decent for the last stretch - anyone have the stats on our overall league standing there since, say, the trade deadline? PK also recovered from a disastrous start. And yes, that WAS a good sign that Ferguson was sitting out long stretches the latter part of the season. With Lynch & Woywitka looking to compete for a spot, maybe others (heard good things about Allen not long ago, and there's Luoma, still), the defensive depth gives Lowe some interesting options.

Hopefully Hemsky bounces back next year!

Bart

Closed Thread