HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staubitz signed for $500K for 1 year

Old
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 500
I believe I've seen contracts at $450,000, but it might just be for rookie call-ups, etc..

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
If one of Staubitz and Shelley goes out every shift and fights and accumulates a hilarious amount of PIM's then I'll be cool with it. If you're going to only play 5-7 minutes per night like those two will, you might as well get into at least two fights per night so you don't get suspended after the 3rd. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:39 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I believe I've seen contracts at $450,000, but it might just be for rookie call-ups, etc..
Damn. Thanks for the info.

5H4RK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Is 500K the lowest allowable salary.
Yes.

It was 475k last year. It will stay at 500k next year and go to 525k the following year.

Quote:
MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY

What is the new minimum NHL player salary?

The minimum NHL player salary in 2005-06 and 2006-07 will be $450,000; $475,000 in 2007-08 and 2008-09; $500,000 in 2009-10 and 2010-11, and $525,000 in 2011-12 (to the extent the CBA is extended by the Union).

What happens with players who have contracts for 2005-06 for less than the minimum salary?

The player's contract may be bought out. If the contract is not bought out, his salary must be increased to the League minimum.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Damn. Thanks for the info.
To clarify, according to Led Zappa's info, the $450k I saw was from contracts several years ago. Contracts today are $500k minimum, but I do believe that Pollack claimed the signing was "in the neighborhood" of $500,000, so it could be a bit higher.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks junkie View Post
I think they're waiting to see if Frazier McLaren is ready for that role and if so, it could be goodbye, Jody.

I think Staubitz will become Nichol's pupil - more agitator, drop gloves when needed, rather than FT enforcer. I'm going to think of Staubitz as our version of Carcillo/Brad May
SJ is looking at McLaren to be far more than an enforcer...which is why I don't expect him to play in SJ this season (barring injuries, of course).

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
SJ is looking at McLaren to be far more than an enforcer...which is why I don't expect him to play in SJ this season (barring injuries, of course).
Do you see him becoming a top 6 in Clowe mold, or just a really good third liner that teams would love to have. I will say him size would be a great compliment to McGinn and Mitchell on a killer third line.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Do you see him becoming a top 6 in Clowe mold, or just a really good third liner that teams would love to have. I will say him size would be a great compliment to McGinn and Mitchell on a killer third line.
I see him as a 3rd line/PKer...he made HUGE strides in his game in the second half of last season in Worcester when he focused on being a hockey player as opposed to just a fighter. He ended last season on one of Worcester's top two PK lines (Worcester had more of a 1 and 1A as opposed to a set 1 and 2).

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
This is good to hear, I was worried Dougie was gonna sign him for 1.2 mil...

I guess Staubitz has a role on the team, but I'm still gonna be pretty unhappy when he plays his 4 minutes and manages to take two minors during that time every game.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:45 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
See, I always thought a 4th line was supposed to be a defensive/checking line. Staubitz and Shelley are not mobile enough or skilled enough to properly defend talented NHL players.

Yeah, they can play hockey. to the bare minimum required of them to at least be in the NHL. Go find another team that dresses 2 tough guys and one legitimate checker as their 4th line. It doesn't happen, and it doesn't happen for a reason.

Also, nice of you to automatically assume that anyone who doesn't drop the gloves as their primary skill is a sissy. A nice, healthy strawman sure makes defending a skill-less goon line (and Nichol) a whole lot easier.

I just want guys with actual skills relevant in more than one facet of the game. Shelley and Staubitz have their place on the team, and they have their place on teh 4th line. But not together.

with the amount of capspace i doubt that would be close to possible. the sharks will have 2 scoring lines, an energy line and an enforcing line.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
with the amount of capspace i doubt that would be close to possible. the sharks will have 2 scoring lines, an energy line and an enforcing line.
But in reality, it would be terrific. Imagine you put a 4th line against the opponent's 1st not only to defend against them but also intimidate them.
There is no purpose in a 4th line full of enforcers if the opposing team has one of their own. Defeats the purpose and they hit/fight one another instead of going for valuable players.

Speaking of 4th lines, I wish we could swap with Anaheim. Parros is awesome and Brown is a jerk who destroys Euro faces, like Hudler's. I want that on my team.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
sjshrky27

just noticed that sjsharks website still hasnt posted the signings. They were very quick with the trade news. Could DW be shopping one of the two or both????

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
But in reality, it would be terrific. Imagine you put a 4th line against the opponent's 1st not only to defend against them but also intimidate them.
There is no purpose in a 4th line full of enforcers if the opposing team has one of their own. Defeats the purpose and they hit/fight one another instead of going for valuable players.

Speaking of 4th lines, I wish we could swap with Anaheim. Parros is awesome and Brown is a jerk who destroys Euro faces, like Hudler's. I want that on my team.
And they have 6'4 skate like the wind Evgeni Artyukin. Not much of a player but he adds some offense is tough and mean. Would love to have a guy like that on our 4th line.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, 210.

GOod to hear he has more upside.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

From Twitter (and I guess Brad's agent):
walsha: I am pleased to announce Brad Staubitz has signed a 1 yr contract with San Jose. He is a gritty player that can play either forward or D.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Shelley and Staubitz have their place on the team, and they have their place on teh 4th line. But not together.
Agree. I'm not at all convinced that Staubitz will be on the opening night roster unless its just a salary issue and we need to dress a $500k salary. Shelly's best fighting days are behind him but at least he is a better skater than Staubitz, and if that's who we have for an enforcer, so be it. He's at least willing and wins some fights. Staubitz just looks lost at times. Unskilled toughness isn't the teams problem. Bottom scoring is. Nichol has some skills beyond being a tough player. He can shoot and pass but he has to have some NHL players who can shoot and pass or its just a Hanson's brothers line. I have to believe that someone, maybe Ortmeyer (sp?), or one of the young guys be the guy to line up there. At best I expect Shelley and Staubitz to trade off, or perhaps skate Staubitz as a reserve defensemen on some nights when we have 3 players who can all skate, pass and shoot on the 4th line.

08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral*

Ortmeyer, Helminen, or whoever else isn't going to provide any more offense than Staubitz. At least Staubitz does something those guys won't and that's fight and play tough.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Shelly's best fighting days are behind him
Don't think so. He's been working on "grappling" techniques this summer to improve (non hitting aspects of) his fighting skills.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Ortmeyer, Helminen, or whoever else isn't going to provide any more offense than Staubitz. At least Staubitz does something those guys won't and that's fight and play tough.
I like a good fight (not so much a grapple) as much as anyone. But loading up on the Hansen brothers didn't work last year and its hard to envision DW, who knew he needed more from the bottom lines, just throwing out a tough line for toughness sake.

The third line this year has to be able to score some points and the 4th line needs to bring energy, play defense, and chip in too. Nichol is a wasted pickup if he isn't going to use his offensive abilities as well as his other talents.

I haven't seen Ortymeyer play but I have seen Staubitz play and he shouldn't be on the same line with Shelley. I'm not yet convinced he is more than an injury call up at this stage. Without the fight against Tatoo, the boards wouldn't be that high on him either.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Le Rosbeef

My guess is our 4th line will be Shelley - Nichol - Ortmeyer and that Staubitz will be our scratch forward, stepping in for injuries etc.

I don't think that's a disastrous 4th line for what it is, what it can do and considering how few minutes it will get.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
My guess is our 4th line will be Shelley - Nichol - Ortmeyer and that Staubitz will be our scratch forward, stepping in for injuries etc.

I don't think that's a disastrous 4th line for what it is, what it can do and considering how few minutes it will get.
That actually sounds interesting, *nichol grabs getzlaugh by his legs while ortmeyer is beating on him, and shelly is chasing around perry* <- Is what I wanna see.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 01:43 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
That actually sounds interesting, *nichol grabs getzlaugh by his legs while ortmeyer is beating on him, and shelly is chasing around perry* <- Is what I wanna see.
If that happened I would DVR it and watch it every night til I died.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote