HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Legwand

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 12:26 PM
YotesFan

vCash: 500
Legwand

What would you want from the Coyotes for Legwand?

Kolonos + ?

Old
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan
Kolonos + ?
5 dollars.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:09 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
5 dollars.
and A Gretzky autograph photo!!!!!!

Old
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
and A Gretzky autograph photo!!!!!!
screw the photo, I want a signed jersey and an hour of ice time to learn from the great one oh, you can have legwand for the pucks Wayne and I would need.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:42 PM
YotesFan

You guys really don't want him.

Is he that bad? What's his deal?

Old
03-24-2004, 02:52 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan
You guys really don't want him.

Is he that bad? What's his deal?
I dont know, we've been hearing about this guy's amazing potential and pent up talent for 6 years now and have seen flashes of brilliance, but for the most part have been disappointed., whether that is from over-hyping or not or he can;t thrive in the Nashville system or not..., we dont know.

Nashville fans are divided on him. Half think that they are going to see this potential bloom any minute now, half want to ship him off because they think that the return on him would be worth more than having him.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
It's pretty sad it's come to this, Dulzhok is probably laughing his ass off right now.

Legwand is quite a player and if he was traded I feel it'd be a move that the Preds would regret for a long time. I'd love to see Legwand perform in a little more open system, he's practically playing defense in Nashville. You don't necessarily give up on 23 year olds, unless your Mike Milbury. If he were to be traded to Phoenix, I wouldn't rule out something along the lines of either Taffe or Sjostrom.

Although his attitude is inexcusable, on a personal level I don't blame him.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=64652

Old
03-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Legwand is a good hockey player, and the potential is still there. I still do not believe that Trotz is that good at developing offensive talent, but its not like he has been handed anything to work with up to this point (save Sullivan). IMO, if Legwand was chosen by just about any other team in this league.....he would be a totally different player. Trotz hammers defense into our players, but I wonder what we might be seeing if we had given some of our young guns more offensive freedom......It seems to me that the creativity of our players has dried up and been replaced by defensive responsibility (which isn't a bad thing......just an observation). This is why Sullivan's prescense on our team.......has really boosted our offensive production.

All this criticism for Leggie, the year after everyone saw him breaking out. Last year in the stretch run *pre-injury*.....Leggy was simply on fire. I hope we get that David back.

Last edited by Enoch: 03-24-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old
03-24-2004, 09:36 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
All this criticism for Leggie, the year after everyone saw him breaking out. Last year in the stretch run *pre-injury*.....Leggy was simply on fire. I hope we get that David back.
I didnt understand the hype last year either. Is less than 20 goals a breakout for a #1 center?

Old
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I didnt understand the hype last year either. Is less than 20 goals a breakout for a #1 center?
He would have reached the 20 goal mark had he not been injured. Honestly, he was great last year during that mid-season stretch run. The AJ - Legwand - Walker line was insane (at least in the terms of Predator offensive lines), and I truly believe that we would have made the playoffs had both AJ and Legwand not went down with injury. He just seemed like he played with so much more passion last year......this year, its every other game.

Besides, this is the Preds offensive system we are talking about here. They have little freedom, so 20 or more goals is VERY good.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Half think that they are going to see this potential bloom any minute now, half want to ship him off because they think that the return on him would be worth more than having him.
Perhaps, that's the best solution. You avoid situations like the Kings had with Aki Berg and Jamie Storr, although we got Mike Cammalleri in return for Aki Berg.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You mean like Poile did with Allison?

Old
03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
You mean like Poile did with Allison?
Yes

Seriously, you need to weigh up the pros and cons before taking decisions like these. Perhaps you get some nice players in return and the Capitals didn't get much in return compared with the Jason Allison later in his career. A lot of things are easy to say in retrospect.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Giving up on talented 23 year olds is a mistake, he is still our best center, easily, offensively and defensively. I'm not convenced any center in Trotz's system will produce.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Conclusion: you belong to the half that think they are going to see this potential bloom any minute now.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Giving up on talented 23 year olds is a mistake, he is still our best center, easily, offensively and defensively. I'm not convenced any center in Trotz's system will produce.
Me either.....we still have yet to see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolov 6'3
Conclusion: you belong to the half that think they are going to see this potential bloom any minute now.
In a way, he does, but in a way he doesn't. His stance, as well as mine, is that Trotz has been unable to develop a center that is skilled in the offensive end (much less ANY forward that can produce at a high level in an offensive end). I believe that Legwand on 20 other teams would be scoring on a very consistent basis.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
I'm a Legwand fan, I'm a fan of anyone who hustles in both ends, especially the way he does. I think he's one of the most talented players on our team, and to give him up because some think his value is higher than his potential is insane. I really don't think we could get a player in return whos value exceeds Legwands to this team. I think some Nashville fans have never like nor never will like Legwand. I see crap all the time about how they don't like him because he held out for more money (he didn't) or that he's too greedy (makes 200k under average) or that he's lazy (tough to be a lazy two-way player). Legwand has a long bow legged stride which to some fans looks like he's skating slow, so they label him lazy. What gets me is how people say Legwand is a liablilty while Erat has been our most consistant forward, they've had about the same number of points all season and Legwand still plays a much better two-way game. I hear things like "we expect more out of a high first round pick", you mean he should be producing more like Hartnell, Finley or Upshall? Right now, Hamhuis and Legwand look like our best first round picks, it's too early to judge Suter.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:22 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I'm a Legwand fan, I'm a fan of anyone who hustles in both ends, especially the way he does. I think he's one of the most talented players on our team, and to give him up because some think his value is higher than his potential is insane. I really don't think we could get a player in return whos value exceeds Legwands to this team. I think some Nashville fans have never like nor never will like Legwand. I see crap all the time about how they don't like him because he held out for more money (he didn't) or that he's too greedy (makes 200k under average) or that he's lazy (tough to be a lazy two-way player). Legwand has a long bow legged stride which to some fans looks like he's skating slow, so they label him lazy. What gets me is how people say Legwand is a liablilty while Erat has been our most consistant forward, they've had about the same number of points all season and Legwand still plays a much better two-way game. I hear things like "we expect more out of a high first round pick", you mean he should be producing more like Hartnell, Finley or Upshall? Right now, Hamhuis and Legwand look like our best first round picks, it's too early to judge Suter.
The difference between Legwand and Erat's points is that Erat makes the play happen, whereas Legwand is just along for the ride and has been getting ghost points playing with our best players like Walker, Zidlicky, Timonen, Johansson, Sullivan. Not to mention that Legwand has a few hundred more minutes of ice time than Erat and and considerable more powerplay time. The powerplay time that Erat does have is usually when he's thrown out there on the last 20 seconds of the powerplay. Not to mention that Erat has more points in less games anyway. Notice that since Legwand's playing time has been decreased, he has like 3 points in last 20 games or something.

And yes, I'm sure the Lewgand optimists will say that Lewgand made a BEAUTIFUL play tonight for the 4th goal. It was a nice play, but there's no denying that he got a big bounce to go his way. The puck just happened to squirt right to him when he made the move.

Last year, when Legwand was supposedly "on fire" and "playing awesome", I was here preaching the truth. The truth was he was getting buttloads of ice time and he was getting a lot of bounces to go his way. He play was not exceptional. His play was not awesome. He was playing decent. And when you play decent and get boatloads of ice time and powerplay time with the best players on the team, you're going to get atleast some points, especially if you get a lot of bounces to go your way like he did.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again, Lewgand is similar to Radek Bonk. He will never be a game-breaker forward. He will never be an all-star. He will put up "decent points" as long as he gets big ice-time and power-play-time with our best players. His downside could be the AHL, seriously. His puck control is atrocious. He gives the puck away like no other. In that regard, he reminds me of Andy Delmore. Anytime he touches the puck, you know there's a pretty good chance he's going to lose it. He gets knocked off the puck easier than anybody on the team. His shot isn't special. He can't get it off in traffic. His play in traffic is horrid.

THE LEGWAND BASHING WILL NEVER DIE!!!! HE DESERVES IT TOO MUCH!!! TRADE HIM IF WE CAN GET ANYTHING DECENT IN RETURN!!!

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-25-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 11:58 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
And yes, I'm sure the Lewgand optimists will say that Lewgand made a BEAUTIFUL play tonight for the 4th goal. It was a nice play, but there's no denying that he got a big bounce to go his way. The puck just happened to squirt right to him when he made the move.
One could also say that Pock was lucky the puck hit his skate or Legwand would have been in all alone. Having seen the situation numerous times, Legwand was in control and Pock was caught with his hand down his pants. He was lucky it wasn't uglier.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

And so the mighty Dulzhok has come to run Legwand into the ground again.

Dulzhok, you make your own luck. If you are "getting bounces", then more power to him. Bounces are a part of the game....And I disagree with you tonight aobut his assist.......that play was absolutely beautiful. Incredible pass as well.

As for the PP comment, Trotz hasn't given Leggie a signficant PP role in quite a while.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm probably the biggest Legwand fan next to Trig, and i've been quick to call him out when it was due...but like it or not, he played a terrific game all around, tonight. I think he's looking MUCH more at home between Erat and Orszagh than he did with Walker and Sullivan. Conversely, AJ looks good between Sully and Walker.

Old
03-26-2004, 06:07 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Believe it or not, Legwand is not my favorite player, just one of my favorites, I just see the position different than most.

Adam Hall and Mark Eaton are my faves, Leggy in a close 3rd.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:22 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
how come when someone like adam hall gets a lot of scoring chances and makes a few good offensive moves he "played a hell of a game" but when legwand does the same "he should have scored" or "he got a lucky bounce"?

Last night was probably leggy's best game in recent memory. he was all over the puck.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:49 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Trigg once again I agree with your Leggy assessment. I think it has to do with expectation levels when it comes to fans. Legwand was the 2 pick ( our highest pick to this date), so a lot of fans expect a lot from him. Tootoo on the other hand was a 4th round pick and the fans love him (count me in here), but Legwand is clearly a better hockey player than Tootoo is at this point. If you were to propose a Tootoo for Kolonos trade, you would probably be laughed off the board by some of the posters. I am one of Legwand's biggest fans because he does a lot of the little stuff that the average fan doesn't see. Although he hasn't scored on the torrid pace that a lot of us would like, he has been one of our most consistant fowards defensively. I agree he still needs to work on his game ( he does get knocked off the puck way too easily), but to hear some fans around the arena, one would think that Legwand was a liability ( like Delmore, Houlder and Hulse were) to this team, and I just don't see it. As far as PP time goes, Legwand hasn't gotten any since the team aquired Sullivan. A lot of players on this team turn the puck over often, but when Legwand does it people line up the phone lines or message boards to say how much he sucks. I really don't think he got a fair shake from the fans, the media, and to some extent the coaching staff. I agree with Trigg that a center on this team probably won't thrive offensively.

Closed Thread