HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Which Prospect Most Likely To Become #1 Center?

View Poll Results: Who's most likely to be a first liner?
Brandon Dubinsky 22 17.89%
Artem Anisimov 40 32.52%
Derek Stepan 36 29.27%
I am fairly certain none of them will 25 20.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Which Prospect Most Likely To Become #1 Center?

The one gaping hole in our lineup is first line center (actually, the whole first line).

We have 3 kids who can play center: Dubinsky, Anisimov and Stepan. I am counting Grachev as a winger. I am leaving out guys like Werek, Doyle and Campbell because they are extreme long shots to become legitimate first liners.

I wonder who people here think is the most likely one to become a legitimate first line center?

By legitimate first liner, I mean someone who could play on the first line of a Cup contender. Obviously, anyone can play on the first line of the Islanders, but that means little. I mean a legitimate first liner who can beat out other quality players for first line duty.

Last edited by Beacon: 09-01-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
GAGLine

I voted for Stepan. I think Dubinsky has the skating, but not the vision, while Anisimov has the vision, but not top flight skating. Stepan I feel has both and has the best shot at being a #1 center.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I voted for Stepan too.

I think he has the worst chance of the 3 to become a second liner, and the best chance to become a true first liner.

- Dubi is already a second liner.
- Anisimov is already thought to be a third liner, and should be a second liner within a year to a year and a half. By calendar year 2011, I think AA will be a legitimate second second.

But Stepan has a ways to go before he can claim to be a second liner.

That said, AA and Dubi have more limited potential. I can see Step being anything from an All Star to a minor leaguer.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
beastly115

So far 6 people have voted Stepan. May I ask how many of you 6 have actually seen him play?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

None of the above....all are legit 2nd line talents and would be 1st line guys by default.
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
So far 6 people have voted Stepan. May I ask how many of you 6 have actually seen him play?
I can't vote in polls, I would vote for him if I could, and I have seen him play. He's the real deal, reminds me of a Richards/Zajac combo. Excelent passer, good skater, good two-way game.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ridley.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
I have seen every game of his in UW-Madison, and if I may, might have been one of his only supporters on draft day and have been since one of his biggest.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I've only seen a few games, but between that and all the scouting reports on him, I feel like he has the best chance of the 3 to be a #1 center. No idea if he can live up to that billing. Guess we will see.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Voted too quick and thought you meant for this season.

Change my vote to none of them, agree with SoS all should be good 2nd line centers.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I voted Dubinsky, becuase that boy is one bad muther-f@%$#*!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

marc savard

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If I had to vote on this right now I'd go with Dubinsky. He's proven the most out of the individuals on the list. He's come a long way from being a possible 3rd/4th liner to a player that's on many peoples keeper list. He's shown his game can be the crash and bang type. He's gritty and has shown he can be a speaker and leader if needed. He has the abilitity to be very patient with the puck and has let the game come to him, while at the same time he takes it to the opponent too. I still feel he has some raw skill, and has room to polish his game game and round it out some more.

He can be a 25-35 guy or a 30-35 w/ intangibles like grit, fiestyness, leadership, speaking roll along with his game.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

In my opinion, a first line center is a 70 point player. I love Dubinsky and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned a corner but I don't know if he'll ever land higher than the low to mid 60s. Even that would be pretty decent to land from him on an annual basis. AA could get there but it's hard to predict how he'll project at a professional level. Stepan is a very interesting case but he's also the furthest away. If he projects how we all hope he could, he'll be that guy. I'm going to vote for him because he's the biggest question mark.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
golgoXIII

[QUOTE=alphaqup;20950150]So far 6 people have voted Stepan. May I ask how many of you 6 have actually seen him play?[/QUOTE Jut

...And what if they base ther choice on Stepan reading scouting from , for example , 5 peoples he know and trust a lot ,who saw him play like 50 times ???? Is opinion is not good ???

golgoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ridley.
Bs...kelly miller is better.....these guys will be Rangers for years though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Bs...kelly miller is better.....these guys will be Rangers for years though!
Posted via Mobile Device
Now thats comforting to know.....

Bring back Espo !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
None. I agree with SoS and FLY.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
I agree with alphaqup. This forum should be limited to NHL management & scouts. Fans are be encouraged to spend money on NHL products, sit, watch and cheer. But under no circumstances should they form and/or express opinions without a license...

Seriously, I've followed the Rangers for over 35 years. Through the years, I've always enjoyed ranking prospects & judging trades. Despite the fact that I'd seen relatively little of some of these prospects, I'd read up & gather whatever information I could about them and form opinions. That's what fans do. And very often, I think my judgement (and that of many other fans I've known) has turned out to be just as good or better than Ranger management's.

I think Anisimov's production at the AHL level at age 21 is more extraordinary than Stepan's as a college freshman. Also, Stepan needs to become physically stronger to play in the NHL. So I'm ranking Anisimov slightly ahead of him. I love Dubi, but I don't think he's a #1 center.

That's my reasoning. I'm sorry that I haven't scouted them all.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
bumrusherer

I'll sit on the fence and say none. From what I have read, it seems like Stepan has the best chance but IMO, true first line centers they are not.

Which isnt a bad thing because I think they all could be very good 2nd line centers. Depth is a good thing.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Crazyhorse30

For this team, Brandon Dubinsky. For any real team, none of the above.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I agree with alphaqup. This forum should be limited to NHL management & scouts. Fans are be encouraged to spend money on NHL products, sit, watch and cheer. But under no circumstances should they form and/or express opinions without a license...

Seriously, I've followed the Rangers for over 35 years. Through the years, I've always enjoyed ranking prospects & judging trades. Despite the fact that I'd seen relatively little of some of these prospects, I'd read up & gather whatever information I could about them and form opinions. That's what fans do. And very often, I think my judgement (and that of many other fans I've known) has turned out to be just as good or better than Ranger management's.

I think Anisimov's production at the AHL level at age 21 is more extraordinary than Stepan's as a college freshman. Also, Stepan needs to become physically stronger to play in the NHL. So I'm ranking Anisimov slightly ahead of him. I love Dubi, but I don't think he's a #1 center.

That's my reasoning. I'm sorry that I haven't scouted them all.
Yes cause Sakic was a beast, and only second in strength to the Hulk.

The center position is about face-offs, vision and on-ice responsibility, along with knowing where you team mates position on ice is.

He's not playing for the Rangers for another year atleast so lets not start questioning his strength. The guys probably 18/19 and hes still growing.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Emptyvoid

I was between voting either for Stepan for none. The deciding factor was the fact that you asked who has the best chance at being a first line center in a cup contending team. Since that is the case, it forces my hand to pick none of them will be that.

Of course I hope for only the best , I'd love to eat crow if Stepan becomes a 20/70 90 Pt Centerman

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I voted for Stepan. I think Dubinsky has the skating, but not the vision, while Anisimov has the vision, but not top flight skating. Stepan I feel has both and has the best shot at being a #1 center.
It can't be said any better than this. The thread can close after your post.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I voted for Artem on the basis of his outstanding AHL season and this being his rookie season in the NHL (hopefully) he will not only impress but move up the pecking order.

I would give him 3 years at the NHL level to establish himself as the go to guy.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote