HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Prospect Most Likely To Become #1 Center?

View Poll Results: Who's most likely to be a first liner?
Brandon Dubinsky 22 17.89%
Artem Anisimov 40 32.52%
Derek Stepan 36 29.27%
I am fairly certain none of them will 25 20.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I agree with alphaqup. This forum should be limited to NHL management & scouts. Fans are be encouraged to spend money on NHL products, sit, watch and cheer. But under no circumstances should they form and/or express opinions without a license...

Seriously, I've followed the Rangers for over 35 years. Through the years, I've always enjoyed ranking prospects & judging trades. Despite the fact that I'd seen relatively little of some of these prospects, I'd read up & gather whatever information I could about them and form opinions. That's what fans do. And very often, I think my judgement (and that of many other fans I've known) has turned out to be just as good or better than Ranger management's.

I think Anisimov's production at the AHL level at age 21 is more extraordinary than Stepan's as a college freshman. Also, Stepan needs to become physically stronger to play in the NHL. So I'm ranking Anisimov slightly ahead of him. I love Dubi, but I don't think he's a #1 center.

That's my reasoning. I'm sorry that I haven't scouted them all.
My apologies if I came off as an ass.

My point was more so about the ridiculous over-rating of our players around here. First Callahan is a 30 goal scorer, then Dubinsky is a lock for 70 pts, then Lisin is going to be on the 1st line with Gaborik.

How about we let these guys prove something first. Callahan has hit 40 pts once. Dubinsky twice. Lisin hasn't even played a full NHL season.

I'm just tired of our players and prospects being overrated, that's all.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I voted for Stepan. I think Dubinsky has the skating, but not the vision, while Anisimov has the vision, but not top flight skating. Stepan I feel has both and has the best shot at being a #1 center.
No need to read further than post 2 - nailed it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
My apologies if I came off as an ass.

My point was more so about the ridiculous over-rating of our players around here. First Callahan is a 30 goal scorer, then Dubinsky is a lock for 70 pts, then Lisin is going to be on the 1st line with Gaborik.

How about we let these guys prove something first. Callahan has hit 40 pts once. Dubinsky twice. Lisin hasn't even played a full NHL season.

I'm just tired of our players and prospects being overrated, that's all.

My apologies also. I didn't mean to lash out at you personally.

I actually agree with you completely. I'm all for stockpiling young players and building with youth, but it's nauseating how so many of us overrate our prospects. And it'll be almost as nauseating when some of these same fans turn these prospects just as quickly, as they did on Zherdev, Dawes, Prucha, Korpikoski, Tyutin...

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 02:04 AM
h0ckeyman

I've seen Stepan play about 7 games. He is dynamic, he has speed and hands. In his freshman season at Wisconsin he was QBing their powerplay and was fantastic at pretty much every offensive aspect of the game. We'll see how he does in the NHL, but if his skillset translates he will absolutely be a gifted scorer for the Rangers(hopefully).

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Voted Stepan...Never seen him live, seen Anisimov 8x live and dubinsky more.

In the future I see...
Dubi as a 2nd/3rd line center on a cup contending team.
Anisimov as a 2nd line center on a cup contender.

Both of these guys have the size that Stepan ideally lacks, but they both lack in areas I deam more important in a #1 C.

Dubi lacks ideal vision and playmaking ability to be a #1 C.
Anisimov lacks ideal skating but is close, excited to see him in the show this year.

Stepan has adequate size and will fill out.

I posted this on the prospects board about Stepan a week or so ago.

We will find out if he can handle the physicality of the next level in the next couple of years.
Right now at his age/level, his skating, hands, vision, and hockey sense are exceptional.
I expect him to lead Wisconsin in scoring this year. He will be one of their go-to-guys as a sophmore on a veteran heavy Badger team.
He has a chance to be a difference maker at the next level.
In a year or two I would not be surprised if he is the top prospect in the organization.

Time will tell...only thing I'm sure about right now is that the answer is not Dubinsky; as much as I like him.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Anisimov.

Stepan will be a tweener. Not good enough to be a 1st line center on a good team, but better than nearly every 2nd line center in the league.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote