HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Abby has zero playoffs experience.

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 08:41 AM
SChan*

vCash: 500
Abby has zero playoffs experience.

Sure Abby has been solid this season for the Avs, but some Avs fans think that Abby will own the playoffs also. I am not sure about that. Look at turek(playing for st loius) a few years ago. He was excellent in the regular season, but choked hard when he played his first playoffs.

I hope Salo will get the chance.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Troy McClure

It's in the best interest for the Avs to start Abby and let him sink or swim. They can always play Salo later, but they need to get Abby the experience ASAP. If he doesn't play this year, then the Avs will go into the playoffs next year with the same questions about experience.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:31 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Abby is the least of Colorado's problems right now.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruZer
Sure Abby has been solid this season for the Avs, but some Avs fans think that Abby will own the playoffs also. I am not sure about that. Look at turek(playing for st loius) a few years ago. He was excellent in the regular season, but choked hard when he played his first playoffs.

I hope Salo will get the chance.
Why do you see Salo as the saviour for the Av's?

Granted, Aebischer isn't proven in the play-off's, but every goaltender has their first try at the P/O's, and I don't see advantage delaying that experience for Aeby.

IMO, the Av's aren't a favorite to come out of the Western conference. I'd put them behind DET & DAL at the very least. At the beginning of the year when everyone was giving the Av's the Cup, Aebischer was seen as the only weak link and that created a ton of pressure. As of right now, the entire team has questions, and if they don't win the Cup, it won't automatically be seen as Aebischer's fault.

It's very likely the Av's will be playing the Stars in the first round. If that's the case, I think the Stars would be favored.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Raging Bull

Most of the goalies have little to no playoff expirience this year, and somebody has to come out on top. Quit counting them out before the playoffs have even started. I'm sure alot of people were counting Dryden out, he only played what, 10 regular season games then came out and won a cup? What about Roy? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
SChan*

I am just saying that I hope Salo get the chance to play some games. Salo's been solid since he joined Avs.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:41 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruZer
I am just saying that I hope Salo get the chance to play some games. Salo's been solid since he joined Avs.
My God, I hope you're joking.

That five goal against performance against Minnesota was ridiculous.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
It's very likely the Av's will be playing the Stars in the first round. If that's the case, I think the Stars would be favored.
Why exactly is that?

Colorado has a considerably deeper set of forwards, a better defense corps, and has won the season series this year.

Marty Turco has won *one* playoff series in his career.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
Most of the goalies have little to no playoff expirience this year, and somebody has to come out on top. Quit counting them out before the playoffs have even started. I'm sure alot of people were counting Dryden out, he only played what, 10 regular season games then came out and won a cup? What about Roy? Everyone has to start somewhere.
Actually Ken Dryden was called up from the Voyageurs and played the last 6 regular season games posting a 1.65 GAA while winning all the games. He started the play-offs against the Bruins who were overwhelming favourites (121 points to Montreal's 92 in the regular season) and stood on his head stopping Boston who were led by Esposito and Orr in their primes. Twenty games later (disposing of the Bruins, North Stars and Hawks) and he had the Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe and then won the Calder the next year.

He was not expected to start the play-offs but the regular season goalie tandem of Rogie Vachon and Phil Myre were nailed to the bench. He remained the Number 1 except for the 1973-74 season when he left for the entire year in a salary dispute and began his law career as an articling lawyer in Toronto.

For those who claim Dryden was only good because of the team around him, consider that in the season when he was away Bunny Laroque, Wayne Thomas and Michel Plasse could not get it done and were knocked out in the first round in six games by the Rangers after finishing third in points and losing 24 games. The Habs had won the Cup the year before his holdout finishing first overall and only losing 10 games. On his return the Habs finished first overall in 1974-75 but lost in the second round (only three rounds in those days). Dryden would win four more Cups (all in a row) from 1975 to 1979 when he retired.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:53 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
Abby is the least of Colorado's problems right now.
Yeah, but as we've all wondered all season long, might he not become the biggest Colorado problem when the playoffs start.

If Abby falters, Salo could really reestablish himself as a good NHL netminder. And with a team like Colorado, it's a possibility.
I was real high on Salo a few years ago, before the Belarus goal seemed to get in his head.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Why exactly is that?

Colorado has a considerably deeper set of forwards, a better defense corps, and has won the season series this year.

Marty Turco has won *one* playoff series in his career.
Considerably deeper? It might be deeper but it sure as hell ain't no walk. The Stars have more high end physical forwards, which has proven to be one of the keys to winning in the playoffs. The better defense corps is something I respectfuly disagree with too, I don't remember the Avs to rank 1st in shots against or 1st in the conference in goals against. This while the Avs defense has been rather shaky ever since the deadline. Season series sure, but I don't hold much value in what happened in the regular season as they were quite equal, if not in the Stars favor when the Stars got out of their putrid slump. Further more, Turco has played in 12 playoff games (1.98/.922), which is 12 more than Aebischer. Sure he could choke, no one outside from Belfour and Brodeur is a lock to be so dependable and reliable, but his chances to fold are far slimmer than that of David Aebischer. I too, pick the Avs to come out on top mind you, but for totally different reasons than the inferiority you make it seem.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:03 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Come on. Dryden and Roy are exceptions to the rule. They are two of the greatest goalies of alltime.
It's completely nuts to say that Abby can do it because they did it. It's possible, of course. But it's also possible that Kirk Maltby will score 25 goals and win the Conn Smythe trophy.

Once again, I give you the list of Stanley Cup winning goalies over the last 25 or so years.

Broduer
Hasek
Roy
Belfour
Osgood
Vernon
Richter
Barasso
Ranford
Fuhr
Smith
Dryden
Parent

Everybody but Osgood, IMO, was a top flight NHL goaltender.
It takes very good goaltending to win the cup.

As a general rule, I don't bet on inexperienced goaltending in the playoffs.
As a Wings fan, I'm troubled, too, because Legace has never started a playoff game.
As good as the Wings are, I have doubts about goaltending (fortunately, Cujo has playoff experience and has been to the conference finals before)
Then again, the West isn't exactly loaded with great goalies these days, so who knows.
Turco is probably the best goalie in the west.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:16 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Yeah, but as we've all wondered all season long, might he not become the biggest Colorado problem when the playoffs start.

If Abby falters, Salo could really reestablish himself as a good NHL netminder. And with a team like Colorado, it's a possibility.
I was real high on Salo a few years ago, before the Belarus goal seemed to get in his head.

It just seems that by questioning Abby at this point, people are just setting him up to be the fall guy when Colorado fails. With the set of forwards Colorado has, there shouldn't be so much attention focused on Abb, I thought that was the main reasoning for bringing in Karyia/Selanne. Either way, I don't see Salo as being a legitimate answer even if Abby can't handle playoff hockey.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Come on. Dryden and Roy are exceptions to the rule. They are two of the greatest goalies of alltime.
It's completely nuts to say that Abby can do it because they did it. It's possible, of course. But it's also possible that Kirk Maltby will score 25 goals and win the Conn Smythe trophy.

Once again, I give you the list of Stanley Cup winning goalies over the last 25 or so years.

Broduer
Hasek
Roy
Belfour
Osgood
Vernon
Richter
Barasso
Ranford
Fuhr
Smith
Dryden
Parent

Everybody but Osgood, IMO, was a top flight NHL goaltender.
It takes very good goaltending to win the cup.

As a general rule, I don't bet on inexperienced goaltending in the playoffs.
As a Wings fan, I'm troubled, too, because Legace has never started a playoff game.
As good as the Wings are, I have doubts about goaltending (fortunately, Cujo has playoff experience and has been to the conference finals before)
Then again, the West isn't exactly loaded with great goalies these days, so who knows.
Turco is probably the best goalie in the west.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Abby to Dryden or Roy in any way,shape or form. I would shoot myself in the foot before doing that. I'm just saying, no one expected those guys to do anything in the playoffs either, but they pulled it off. According to most people, if your goalie hasn't won a cup, then goaltending is a weak spot. Thats just plain idiotic. I remember people saying that about Belfour when Dallas was going into the playoffs, "He's good, but he's never won a cup, so I'm counting Dallas out". Or how about Jersey's first cup, " Brodeur won't take them past the first round, he's never won a series in his life.". Sure, experience helps, alot. But I'm not counting any team out because of inexperienced goaltending. Nobody should.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Considerably deeper? It might be deeper but it sure as hell ain't no walk. The Stars have more high end physical forwards, which has proven to be one of the keys to winning in the playoffs. The better defense corps is something I respectfuly disagree with too, I don't remember the Avs to rank 1st in shots against or 1st in the conference in goals against. This while the Avs defense has been rather shaky ever since the deadline. Season series sure, but I don't hold much value in what happened in the regular season as they were quite equal, if not in the Stars favor when the Stars got out of their putrid slump. Further more, Turco has played in 12 playoff games (1.98/.922), which is 12 more than Aebischer. Sure he could choke, no one outside from Belfour and Brodeur is a lock to be so dependable and reliable, but his chances to fold are far slimmer than that of David Aebischer. I too, pick the Avs to come out on top mind you, but for totally different reasons than the inferiority you make it seem.
He doesn't have zero playoff experience, he's played in two games actually. One was just for a minute, but the other was for over half the game, and he had a .929 save percentage and a 1.76 which is pretty good for a first experience in the playoffs I think! He had a .917 SV% for Hershey in the AHL with 2 shutouts in 14 games. So, while he doesn't have much experience, it's not zero like some people here seem to think.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
He doesn't have zero playoff experience, he's played in two games actually. One was just for a minute, but the other was for over half the game, and he had a .929 save percentage and a 1.76 which is pretty good for a first experience in the playoffs I think! He had a .917 SV% for Hershey in the AHL with 2 shutouts in 14 games. So, while he doesn't have much experience, it's not zero like some people here seem to think.
Excuse me for finding 31 minutes not enough to warrant any playoff experience whatsoever. I do think its overrated though, so I am not seeing their goalie as one of the Avs weaknesses.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Coburnfan05

What's wrong with having confidence in the goalie who got you this far.

If I were an Av's fan I would rather see Abby start over Salo.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Excuse me for finding 31 minutes not enough to warrant any playoff experience whatsoever. I do think its overrated though, so I am not seeing their goalie as one of the Avs weaknesses.
I agree, I was just getting technical, that's all

Old
04-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Turco "choked" in the playoffs?

Gross misuse of the word. If the point is that Aebischer lacks playoff experience, point taken. No need to exaggerate.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:01 PM
SChan*

Quote:
That five goal against performance against Minnesota was ridiculous.

Did you even see the game? Minnesota had like two 5vs 3 pp. The commentators didn't think Salo had horrible game. Colorado did take too many penalties in that game.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:05 PM
SChan*

btw so salo is just horrible because he had 1 bad game out of 5 in Avs uniform?

Old
04-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
One was just for a minute, but the other was for over half the game, and he had a .929 save percentage and a 1.76 which is pretty good for a first experience in the playoffs I think!
My ass. That "half game" was actually the last half of the 7-0 blowout at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings in Game 7 of the 2002 Conference Finals. Detroit was leading 6-0 at the time that Aebischer came in. I don't think that was a good example of his playoff experience.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:41 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
It just seems that by questioning Abby at this point, people are just setting him up to be the fall guy when Colorado fails. With the set of forwards Colorado has, there shouldn't be so much attention focused on Abb, I thought that was the main reasoning for bringing in Karyia/Selanne. Either way, I don't see Salo as being a legitimate answer even if Abby can't handle playoff hockey.
If Abby bombs, it's not his fault. It would be the fault of Lacroix.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:43 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Abby to Dryden or Roy in any way,shape or form. I would shoot myself in the foot before doing that. I'm just saying, no one expected those guys to do anything in the playoffs either, but they pulled it off. According to most people, if your goalie hasn't won a cup, then goaltending is a weak spot. Thats just plain idiotic. I remember people saying that about Belfour when Dallas was going into the playoffs, "He's good, but he's never won a cup, so I'm counting Dallas out". Or how about Jersey's first cup, " Brodeur won't take them past the first round, he's never won a series in his life.". Sure, experience helps, alot. But I'm not counting any team out because of inexperienced goaltending. Nobody should.
I'm not saying a guy has to win a cup before being a playoff goalie. I'm saying I like goalies with playoff experience.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:46 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

DELETED

Closed Thread