HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stalberg Prediction

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
  #26
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
I think he has a good shot to make the team. His defensive play can allow him to play a role in the bottom 6 with his offensive upside.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
  #27
russmatuss
Registered User
 
russmatuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool, England
Country: England
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
why he can't play in the bottom 6?
He just doesn't strike me as a guy that Burke would want playing on the meat and potatoes lines, when he could be using and improving his offensive talent in the AHL.

Also, he's not a fighter so definitely not 4th line material (and I personally wouldn't want him there), and as I think the top 6 will consist of Poni, Grabs, Kulemin, Blake, Stajan, and Hagman, even if Burke was open to the idea of him playing on the 3rd line, he'd have to beat out all but 2 of Primeau, Stempniak, Mitchell, Wallin, Bozak, Hanson, aswell as countless Marlies players in order to get a spot, which yes is possible but I'm not sure it's that likely.

EDIT: I just realised, a lot of the guys I mentioned, Burke wouldn't want them playing on the meat and potatoes lines either. In that case I neither know nor care right now, I'll just wait for camp to find out what happens.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
  #28
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Stalberg is not a sniper, that's for sure.
Quote:
Hockey prospects has it wrong I guess:

"A natural sniper with a fine scoring touch."

How can anyone say "that's for sure" at this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
people like to pretend they know more than they do around here. that's how.
Did either you read the rest of my post, or just thought that none of it was poignant? You know, how I've actually watched him play in the NCAA? The person who wrote that profile (more than two seasons ago) very, very likely has never seen him play.

Stalberg is not a sniper, plain and simple. In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper, and Ponikarovsky is not a sniper. Antropov scored nearly 30 goals last year; is he a sniper? No. Because anyone with eyes knows he scores his goals using other methods than top-shelf snipes. Jason Blake has one of the worst shooting percentages in existance, yet put up 40 goals in one season. Not a sniper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Anyway, here's a collection of some stuff I put together a little while back:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668985

A lot of it is quoting Madic who has seen him play quite a bit in the NCAA. I did forget his HF profile though. It's a bit outdated (which is unfortunate considering his great year), but quite a few HF profiles are.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/viktor_stalberg
Cheers man.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
  #29
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,995
vCash: 500
They will probably have to make some room for him to get a shot at starting the season with the big club. I doubt they would consider him for the 4th line. Too little ice time and plugs for line mates isn't much of a way to develop him compared to playing a major role with the Marlies.
And too many wingers ahead of him on the depth chart to play on the top 3 lines. He won't play ahead of Poni, Hagman, Blake or Kulemin and probably not Tlusty or Stempniak either. Unless he embarasses both of them in camp they have proved much more than he has.
Even Adam Oats needed a half season in the AHL. While I would love them to run 3 kids as their third line I think he and Bozak will start the season with the Marlies. BB talked about nobody being simply given a spot because they are a vet but he doesn't seem interested in running a young lineup and taking his lumps. Tlusty doesn't really have anything more to learn in the AHL and Stempniak managed better than a point every other game in an off season.
I could definitely see one or more Marlies coming to stake a spot before game 30 at the expense of whoever has a slow start.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
  #30
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
He will play with the Marlies for the whole season, and learn a little bit about the grind of an 80 game season. He's still a year to 1.5 years away.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:00 PM
  #31
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,165
vCash: 500
Why would we want him to play with the big club this year? Let him do his thing on the Marlies and come along slowly.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
  #32
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
50/50 that he even makes the team this year. It was said before, if he's not in the top 6 then why have him here? He's still young and learning, these guys need ice time. We all saw how the Tlusty experiment worked. Stalberg sounds so much like Poni it's not even funny. I'd take another Poni anyday of the week. People just keep getting caught up in the hype of some of these guys, they need time whether it's in the national league or the american league.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 02:04 AM
  #33
WTFMAN99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
He has a great shot while in full skating stride.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 02:38 AM
  #34
Persuasion
Keep Kulie
 
Persuasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
I would like to see Stalberg start with the Marlies. If he performs PPG or higher bring him up and waive an under performer.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:13 AM
  #35
PTmbp13
Registered User
 
PTmbp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Stalberg is not a sniper, that's for sure. Think Poni, think Mitchell: a decent hard shot at times, but nothing to write home about. He scored his goals with Vermont in 2 different ways last year (generally):

1) Firing a ton of shots on net. Some games he'd hit 10 shots on net, he quite simply loves to shoot and has the tools to put him in a good position to do so (size+speed+drive). Hard work goals.

2) Off the rush. His speed makes him a good off-the-rush shooter, and he scored a fair few this way. Breakaways were common as well.

Point being, anyone who thinks he's a score-or-bust prospect is waaaay off. He'll make the NHL (whether its out of camp with us or 5 years down the line with another team) as a grinder if he doesn't make it as a secondary -- or tertiary -- point producer.

Personally, having watched him for the better part of two years, I think he'll make a solid pro producer, a good mix of setup man and hard work scorer...and if I had to put a number on it, which I hate doing prematurely...I'd say he could be a 50-point guy in the NHL, under decent circumstances.
Just like Ovechkin then

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
  #36
bobermay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barrie/UofGuelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,907
vCash: 500
I think our third line in the 2010/2011 season will be Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson

Grabo will be our 2nd lien centerman. And Savard will be our first!

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
  #37
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Did either you read the rest of my post, or just thought that none of it was poignant? You know, how I've actually watched him play in the NCAA? The person who wrote that profile (more than two seasons ago) very, very likely has never seen him play.
so you've seen him play. that doesn't change anything for me. are you a scout? do you work in the hockey industry in some capacity? just because you've seen him play sure doesn't mean I take your word as the gospel. And doesn't change the fact that people like to pretend they know more than they do on this board.

Quote:
Stalberg is not a sniper, plain and simple. In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper, and Ponikarovsky is not a sniper. Antropov scored nearly 30 goals last year; is he a sniper? No. Because anyone with eyes knows he scores his goals using other methods than top-shelf snipes. Jason Blake has one of the worst shooting percentages in existance, yet put up 40 goals in one season. Not a sniper.
snipers don't always have to go top shelf. but I would agree Poni and Ant are not what I would call snipers.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
  #38
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Did either you read the rest of my post, or just thought that none of it was poignant? You know, how I've actually watched him play in the NCAA? The person who wrote that profile (more than two seasons ago) very, very likely has never seen him play.

Stalberg is not a sniper, plain and simple. In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper, and Ponikarovsky is not a sniper. Antropov scored nearly 30 goals last year; is he a sniper? No. Because anyone with eyes knows he scores his goals using other methods than top-shelf snipes. Jason Blake has one of the worst shooting percentages in existance, yet put up 40 goals in one season. Not a sniper.

Cheers man.
I'm not sure Rick Vaive was a sniper, but he could score.

Keon was not a sniper, but he could actually put the puck in the net quite well.

Gaborik, sniper, along with exceptional skill.

Darryl, Lanny, Errol:

Darryl - not sniper
Lanny - sniper +
Errol - sniper -

John Anderson could score as well, but you wouldn't call him a sniper.

Sundin was not a sniper, but usually scored over 30 per season.

Mogilny could snipe.

Mike Gartner ... could shoot, and he did it often. Sniper?

Sniper versus Shooter*

I see them as two different beasts, but that just might be me.

* Shooter who can finish, unlike Ronny E, who was a duck and cover when he wound up because you just never knew where it was going.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
  #39
Riddarn
1980-2011
 
Riddarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,151
vCash: 500
I'm guessing he'll have a decent rookie pro season with the Marlies and score somewhere between 30 and 45 points. Whether he gets to see some NHL time probably depends on how many injuries we get.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
  #40
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm not sure Rick Vaive was a sniper, but he could score.

Keon was not a sniper, but he could actually put the puck in the net quite well.

Gaborik, sniper, along with exceptional skill.

Darryl, Lanny, Errol:

Darryl - not sniper
Lanny - sniper +
Errol - sniper -

John Anderson could score as well, but you wouldn't call him a sniper.

Sundin was not a sniper, but usually scored over 30 per season.

Mogilny could snipe.

Mike Gartner ... could shoot, and he did it often. Sniper?

Sniper versus Shooter*

I see them as two different beasts, but that just might be me.

* Shooter who can finish, unlike Ronny E, who was a duck and cover when he wound up because you just never knew where it was going.
nice post Ulf.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
  #41
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
so you've seen him play. that doesn't change anything for me. are you a scout? do you work in the hockey industry in some capacity? just because you've seen him play sure doesn't mean I take your word as the gospel. And doesn't change the fact that people like to pretend they know more than they do on this board.
Well then, you'd have to include yourself in that if that's the way you see it...meaning your opinion on my opinion isn't terribly valid, is it?

Yeah, it gets absurd. Point being, blind trust in HF's hilariously outdated and guesstimated scouting profiles is one thing, and watching him play is another...and it doesn't take a genius to watch a guy fire 10+ shots a game on weaker Hockey East goalies and see he's not a sniper. Which is to say, a person with a hard accurate shot, so no semantics.

Quote:
snipers don't always have to go top shelf. but I would agree Poni and Ant are not what I would call snipers.
No doubt. I haven't said Stalberg can't score; I wouldn't have paid decent money to see him play (especially as I'm not a UVM student) unless he had some skill.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
  #42
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
"In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper"

Interestingly HF never mentions that word with Hanson, in fact they question his shooting ability. Unlike Stalberg's natural sniper characterization. Not that this is the gospel by any means, but comparing Stalberg with Hanson actually diminishes the validity of your point.

BTW, lots of other people saw him play too, including our director of PP, who said of all our prospects, he might be the best of the bunch. Ditto for Burke, nevermind praise from scouts across the league. I'll take that over some guy with a keyboard and an opinion thanks.

Let's see what happens, but he's got all the tools.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
  #43
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Another point, Wilson absolutely ADORES guys who shoot the puck. That's actually how his teams generate offensive, shoot from everywhere, get rebounds, breakdown the defensive structure.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
  #44
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
BTW, lots of other people saw him play too, including our director of PP, who said of all our prospects, he might be the best of the bunch. Ditto for Burke, nevermind praise from scouts across the league. I'll take that over some guy with a keyboard and an opinion thanks.
Again, people need to read. This entire paragraph is pointless. And you guys say OTHER people on this board have issues.

Call this aggressive if you want, it gets tiring when people seem to ignore the fact that if you've watched someone for two years, you probably think they're a decent player. We're arguing whether or not he's a sniper, not whether or not he's a good prospect. I just said I think he's a fantastic prospect. So this "guy with a keyboard and an opinion" that you so disdain agrees entirely with Burke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
"In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper"

Interestingly HF never mentions that word with Hanson, in fact they question his shooting ability. Unlike Stalberg's natural sniper characterization. Not that this is the gospel by any means, but comparing Stalberg with Hanson actually diminishes the validity of your point.
Interestingly enough I was making an entirely different point. My point was I know Stalberg is not a sniper in the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper: I have watched them play and own a brain.

And sorry, why would I care what HF mentions? Neat a site as it is, and useful in it's information at times, assigning letter and number grades to prospects is hilarious, and not updating some of your prospect profiles for a few years is laughable. I do love how a few people like you tend to read some of what I type, immediately take issue with what I say, and then refer to a source in HF that uses people the same as me to write their profiles...and haven't actually seen some of those prospects play.

But hey, people with opinions and keyboards must be liars or just plain wrong, right?

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
  #45
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm not sure Rick Vaive was a sniper, but he could score.

Keon was not a sniper, but he could actually put the puck in the net quite well.

Gaborik, sniper, along with exceptional skill.

Darryl, Lanny, Errol:

Darryl - not sniper
Lanny - sniper +
Errol - sniper -

John Anderson could score as well, but you wouldn't call him a sniper.

Sundin was not a sniper, but usually scored over 30 per season.

Mogilny could snipe.

Mike Gartner ... could shoot, and he did it often. Sniper?

Sniper versus Shooter*

I see them as two different beasts, but that just might be me.

* Shooter who can finish, unlike Ronny E, who was a duck and cover when he wound up because you just never knew where it was going.

lol That reminds me of one of my friends...this guy could absolutely blast slapshots, by the time we were playing high school hockey his shot was getting close to 100 mph(no joke). Of course, the problem was that he couldn't aim to save his life and I loved to park myself infront of the net...there were many times where my life flashed before my eyes.One time one of his shots hit my shinpad and it caved in.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:57 PM
  #46
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Again, people need to read. This entire paragraph is pointless. And you guys say OTHER people on this board have issues.

Call this aggressive if you want, it gets tiring when people seem to ignore the fact that if you've watched someone for two years, you probably think they're a decent player. We're arguing whether or not he's a sniper, not whether or not he's a good prospect. I just said I think he's a fantastic prospect. So this "guy with a keyboard and an opinion" that you so disdain agrees entirely with Burke.


Interestingly enough I was making an entirely different point. My point was I know Stalberg is not a sniper in the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper: I have watched them play and own a brain.

And sorry, why would I care what HF mentions? Neat a site as it is, and useful in it's information at times, assigning letter and number grades to prospects is hilarious, and not updating some of your prospect profiles for a few years is laughable. I do love how a few people like you tend to read some of what I type, immediately take issue with what I say, and then refer to a source in HF that uses people the same as me to write their profiles...and haven't actually seen some of those prospects play.

But hey, people with opinions and keyboards must be liars or just plain wrong, right?

Why don't you ask 20 nhl scouts who have both watched Hanson and Stalberg if they possess similar offensive upside. When none of them agree with you, then we can discuss the "brain you own". I didn't use the reference, you did.

BTW, did Niewendyk every approach you at the games to get your inside take on Victor's progression?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
  #47
russmatuss
Registered User
 
russmatuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool, England
Country: England
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Why don't you ask 20 nhl scouts who have both watched Hanson and Stalberg if they possess similar offensive upside. When none of them agree with you, then we can discuss the "brain you own". I didn't use the reference, you did.

BTW, did Niewendyk every approach you at the games to get your inside take on Victor's progression?
I fail to find the part where he said they did.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
  #48
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatuss View Post
I fail to find the part where he said they did.
Stalberg isn't a sniper, just like Hanson isn't a sniper. Agree or disagree, ask around.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
  #49
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Stalberg is going to be at most another Poni. Upside to 50-60 points. His speed alone is going to create lots of chances and you can expect 20-25 goals sooner or later. Personally, I think he'll bring alot more than Poni brings consistently.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
  #50
akiberg*
 
akiberg*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Stalberg is going to be at most another Poni. Upside to 50-60 points. His speed alone is going to create lots of chances and you can expect 20-25 goals sooner or later. Personally, I think he'll bring alot more than Poni brings consistently.
what are you basing this on? i mean how do you just sit there and not only come up with this stuff but take it one step further and post it on a hockey board like its suppose to have some sort of meaning or something? you think he'll bring more consistently than Poni. LOL.
I think, based on every thing I have read on these boards that alot of posters should read, WAY more than than post.
Great post, other than not providing anything meaningful other than making up numbers and projections on a player you have never seen play.
My turn.
Stalberg-my unofficial predictions.
consistent 40 goal scorer, future hall of famer, traded along with jesse blacker in 2014 for sidney crosby, scratch golfer, light weight drinker, has 4 kids with the octomom, likes long walks and slow kisses, brings alot more than Poni brings consistently.
funny thing is my predictions are about as baseless as yours. sad but true.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.