HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LaBarbera: 13 Shutouts, 31 Wins

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2004, 04:09 AM
KING

vCash: 500
LaBarbera: 13 Shutouts, 31 Wins

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hockey/h...adlines-hockey

Old
04-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Why does he struggle in the NHL? Any insight anyone?

Old
04-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Fletch

Can't handle the speed of the game?

can't handle some of the tougher shots. There's many reasons why and AHL goaltender may not become an NHL goaltender. But remember this, too. 24 isn't exactly old for a goaltender to begin an NHL career. He still has time to adjust and develop before one would relegate him to career AHLer. He's much improved since coming to the AHL, so likely he is working at getting better.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

He's got 5 NHL appearances and I believe 3 starts. Not sure that's enough to make a career projection under any circumstances, nevermind backstopping the Ranger defense.

If this team's truly committed to rebuilding, Jason will be given a chance to win the #1 job over McLennan and Valiquette next fall. That's when we can start to judge his ability to make the next step.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Adamx

Send a message via AIM to Adamx
Look at Manny Legace. I am a Hartford fan and remember him when he was young and did nothing at the NHl level. Looked like a bust. Now he's a very good goalie. Give Jason time. Many time goalies get better with age.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
He's got 5 NHL appearances and I believe 3 starts. Not sure that's enough to make a career projection under any circumstances, nevermind backstopping the Ranger defense.

If this team's truly committed to rebuilding, Jason will be given a chance to win the #1 job over McLennan and Valiquette next fall. That's when we can start to judge his ability to make the next step.
Labarbara is not an NHL goaltender, simple fact.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Fact, huh? Based on............

Old
04-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Habdominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Fact, huh? Based on............
Probably just on his NHL stats, but personnaly I believe he has an outside shot at the big league sun. But just an outside one

Old
04-04-2004, 02:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
And how do you come of this? Magic 8-ball?

Old
04-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If nothing else, Jason certainly made the most of the opportunity he had this season. And, regardless of what the experts think, it seems to me that LaBarbera should have earned--through his play this year, which has surpassed everyone's expectations--a chance to to continue on the road to the NHL. I seriously doubt he will stay with the Rangers, his chances of getting anywhere near the number of starts he had this year are very small next season. Hopefully, someone will want to sign him and give him the opportunity to take the next step in his career. He's earned that much.

Old
04-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
And how do you come of this? Magic 8-ball?
Well, I am sharing with you the common opinion of the player from some people in a decision making role with several franchises. He's slow, and gives up bad rebounds. He has a big five hole (due to his size) that can be opened wide by making him move laterally. His lateral movement is not on the NHL level. His glove hand is average at best.

He had a good year playing for a team that really did a nice job defensively. His defense did a very good job of clearing the front of the net and not allowing 2nd and 3rd chances off rebounds often.

He is, in the opinion of many, just a career AHL player.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Kubera55

Yeah, I've got a good friend with season tickets in Hartford. I've seen Labarberra play off and on for three years, and I even though he's had a terrific year and seems to be a great guy, I can't say I see him as ever being an NHL goalie.

Even when he's playing well in Hartford he struggles with his rebound control . . . it's just that McGill has the Pack playing so stifling on defense that nobody can get into the crease and scoop up the rebounds. In the NHL, no one's defense is that good.

Still, it's a great story and he's a terrific guy. I hope to hell he proves everyone wrong.

However . . . with Blackburn getting healthy and Lundqvist possibly coming over from Europe, I really think Jason's days in the NY system are numbered. The Rangers are not going to want the popular and AHL-successful Labarberra taking starts away from GotF Dan Blackburn, and Labarberra has never done well in the back-up role (his confidence falters). I bet that once Blackburn's shoulder is 100%, Sather will look to move him . . .

Old
04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
nyr5186

I agree. I dont think Labarbera will ever be a consistent NHL goalie. In baseball, you would call him a AAAA player. One thats great in minors, but has too many flaws to actually stick with the big club. Sather should trade him now while his value is at the highest point it'll ever be. I'll take a 3rd rounder for him.

Closed Thread