Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL Minnesota Wild Draft thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 07:23 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 500
As much as Dupuis and Schultz and company are not superstar they are proven at the NHL level for what they do. And even though the top eight or so are better prospects they are just that. There are Zyuzin, Faloons out there too. Usually there is one definate prospect. I think it may be a rumor that MN offered their entire draft for Lemieux. That i can see, he was a cant miss guy. After Overchin IMO there is no cant miss guy, There are better guys but no "sure" things. While our guys are not great trading them away for even younger more inexpericed guys will only put the 5 year plan in action not continue with it. While Burns and PM are not steller yet they are teenagers. On any other team they would not be in the NHL and we could say we have the top scorer in the Q in the system. Instead we have a 19 year old on the team and is playing in the NHL now. Instead of being Ottawa Tampa or Atlanta and throwing Stefan, Lecavaler, Daigle out there saying he is our savior now we will build. We have Walz, Laaksonen, Brunno out there to play D set the younger guys up, Ronning to teach, Bomber to play all D and let Schultz roam. Moose to hammer anyone that hits PM along the boards. Now Gab is killing penalties in his fouirth year. We will be ok, dont sell the farm.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:57 PM
rubicon

One player is not the farm, and the rangers would probally accept Dupris and the 12th for 5th.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:39 AM
MN_Gopher

Dupuis is a 15-20 goal scorer. This year he was a bit down for obviuos reasons. And we can get a good player at #12. So can anyone gurantee, that the player we get is better than a 15-20 goal scorer and what ever pick we get at 12. And so much better that it makes sense to trade Dupuis and the other guy for him.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:34 AM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Dupuis is a 15-20 goal scorer. This year he was a bit down for obviuos reasons. And we can get a good player at #12. So can anyone gurantee, that the player we get is better than a 15-20 goal scorer and what ever pick we get at 12. And so much better that it makes sense to trade Dupuis and the other guy for him.
My sentiments exactly.

1) I wouldn't trade Picard/Stafford + Dupuis for Schremp, Tukonen, or Ladd. For A.J. Thelen, that would be tempting, but that's probably the homer in me speaking out. One of those elite picks will make that statement sound stupid on my part. One of those elite picks will sound like common sense in a few years.

Let me put it this way: If it's between Picard and a Schremp. I would be inclined to take Picard and the spread (Dupuis) over Schremp. Tough call, but the established NHL goal scorer can't be overlooked.

2) More importantly, I disagree that the Rangers would take Dupuis as compensation alone to move up. If this was last season, it might get it done. However, even despite the holdout, this season was probably enough to make many think 2002/2003 more of a fluke year for Dupuis. Last year he was a guy you could say has a very good chance of consistently putting up 25 in the NHL. Now, you could just as easily see a 15-a year guy.

Pascal doesn't get it done imo. Furthermore, I think he's a guy that has a lot more value in this system than any other. I think we'd most likely have to throw in another high B prospect.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:08 AM
DW

I would have to agree on Dupuis and our pick not being enough to move up to the Rangers pick. Maybe up 2/3 spots if the right team was involved.

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Picard/Stafford + Dupuis for Schremp, Tukonen, or Ladd.
I would have to disagree here. I would absolutley do this deal to pick up Tukonen or Thelen. Not for Ladd or Schremp though. Picard and Stafford wouldn't be bad for this team either. I just feel that Tukonen is that much better then the some of the others that are mentioned. Dupuis is a good player, nothing more. He might be a solid 20/20 guy for years to come. That will be his upside IMO. He's done it once already and I see no real reason to think he won't do it again.

Tukonen/Thelen are not guarenteed top players. However, they have the potential to be top players. I think the Wild need to risk something (prospects/players/better then 5th rd picks) once in awhile to get better in the long run. This is the kind of move that needs to be done. That being said, I would expect a move down before they ever make a deal to move up in the draft. More likely we pick 12th and hope for the best.

It's getting kind of scary to think the Wild may only pick in this range for the next few years. We'll certainly be picking up some depth guys but no top flite prospects. People can say all they want about the draft being an educated guess. To me, the guessing is easier in the ealry parts of the draft and it only gets harder as the day expires. Once in awhile, it would be nice to get a guy like Malkin, Barker, Zherdev, Pitkanen or ?????? Is that asking too much?

Old
04-18-2004, 12:56 PM
MN_Gopher

The last four drafts we would trade our 12th and Dupuis for the fifth. Lets see 03 Dupuis and Jessiman for Vanek. Could work out or it may not. Vanek has huge upside but has question marks. 02 Eminger and Dupuis for Whitney. I ll keep Eminger and Dupuis. 01 Hamuis and Dupuis for Chistov. Again I ll keep my two. 00 Dupuis and Smirnov for Torres. Torres did put up 20 goals this year and had 34 points i think and is physical. Only took him four years to do it. While Dupuis will be doing it for the next four years although less physical. So here i see no gain only we would have lost a prospect. And lastly in 98 Dupuis and Alex Tanguay for Vitali Vishnevski. Ahh.... yeah a no brainer. So i see no point to trade a quality player and a 1st for another 1st.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:27 PM
DW

Quote:
Vanek has huge upside but has question marks
And Jessiman has none? You'd be crazy not to make that deal. The only deal I wouldn't do of those players is the Hamuis deal. If of course, Chistov doesn't pan out. If you take into account those years of which Dupuis was listed and used his actuall assets of that year, you would make all of those deals without question.

Standing pat is not always the answer. Sometimes you need to get a better player when the risk is right. This is the time IMO. Losing Dupuis will not kill the Wild. (I don't expect the Wild to make that deal though.) I just wish they would do a trade once in awhile that doesn't require marginal players and mid to late round picks. I'm not advocating the Wild deal high picks and prospects all the time. Eventually, you have to get off your hands and make something happen to get really good players. This is one of those years.

It's been 3 years straight where we've been on the outside looking in on the real prospects in the draft. Regardless of what DR and his scouts say in the printed media, especially an internet site of which they have control of what is displayed to it's fans.

Old
04-18-2004, 03:06 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Hmmm I wonder if we should move DOWN still...

Here's the way I figure:

1/ Washington Capitals- Alexander Ovechkin
2/ Pittsburgh Penguins- Evgeni Malkin
3/ Chicago Black Hawks- Rostislav Olesz
4/ Columbus Blue Jackets- Cam Barker
5/ Phoenix Coyotes- Wojtek Wolski
6/ New York Rangers- Robbie Schremp
7/ Florida Panthers- Andrew Ladd
8/ Carolina Hurricanes- AJ Thelen
9/ Anaheim Mighty Ducks- Lauri Tukonen
10/ Atlanta Thrashers- Drew Stafford
11/ Los Angeles Kings- Alvaro Montoya
12/ Minnesota Wild- Alexandre Picard
13/ Buffalo Sabres- Wes O'Neill
14/ Edmonton Oilers- Marek Schwarz
15/ New York Islanders- Mike Green
16/ Nashville Predators- Kyle Chipchura
17/ St. Louis Blues- Enver Lisin
18/ Montreal Canadians- David Bolland
19/ Calgary Flames- Evan McGrath
20/ Dallas Stars- Vaclav Meidel
21/ Vancouver Canucks- Alexander Radulov
22/ New Jersey Devils- Ladislav Smid
23/ Ottawa Senators- Lukas Kaspar
24/ New York Rangers (TOR)- Sami Lepsito
25/ San Jose Sharks- Bryan Bickell
26/ Washington Capitals (BOS)- Boris Valabik
27/ Colorado Avalanche-Johannes Salmonsson
28/ Edmonton Oilers (PHI)- Mike Funk
29/ Tampa Bay Lightning- Devon Dubnyk
30/ Washington Capitals (DET)- Roman Voloshenko

Old
04-18-2004, 03:30 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
How about reaching down and grabbing Bickell, Meidl, Bolland, or Chipchura?

Old
04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Although I probably could be tempted to trade Dupuis in order to move up for Thelen and Tukonen, my main point is I'm really quite confident Dupuis isn't enough to move up for those guys. Maybe I should post the proposal on the trade proposals board, but I'm pretty sure most wouldn't consider Dupuis captivating enough to move down.

How about a scouting report on Bickell, Meidl, and Bolland? I like Chipchura, but I think Picard is a better fit.

Old
04-18-2004, 05:15 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
How about reaching down and grabbing Bickell, Meidl, Bolland, or Chipchura?
I'm not sure why everyone is high on Bickell. I saw him a couple times this year, never really did stick out. Must have been off games I guess, but I'd rather see Picard over Bickell.

Old
04-18-2004, 07:52 PM
MN_Gopher

Why pull the trigger and be the rangers. Col gets Hejduk, Drury, Tanguay. Det Datsuk and Zetterberg. U pick the right players u will be ok. If Col and Det can make big trades and still keep a healthy supply of young talent then we can too. How many players has NJ lost over the years and they are still in the playoffs every year. They do it with guys like Gomez, Martin, Hale, Gionta all those Jersey guys drafted later than 20. And wasn't Madden a NCAA FA. I d like another blue chipper to go with GAb dont get me wrong. But look at Stefan, Heatley, and Illya. Klesla, Nash, Zederev. Yeah they are fun to watch but do they win games? Will they? yes some day. We need a team not one young top line. I am for trading, i d rather see them trade their picks for players.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:07 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

don't rule out surprises

I thought for sure we were gonna draft Mark Stuart from CC, only to go "who the fukk is Brent Burns?!?"

Old
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
uofmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
don't rule out surprises

I thought for sure we were gonna draft Mark Stuart from CC, only to go "who the fukk is Brent Burns?!?"
DeuceUNO - Do you have a dad that works for the Security at Excel...or that did work for them...

Old
04-29-2004, 07:16 PM
barnabyrules

How many picks do we have in this years draft? I thought that i read that a few of the trades were for 2005 draft picks but i cant remember which ones. Thanks

Old
04-29-2004, 07:50 PM
ceber

11 picks in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft: 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round (2), 4th round (3), 5th round, 6th round, 7th round and 9th round.

Old
04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Um yay?

I'd say trade down and add in a 3rd or a 4th for Washington's to 1st and the 33rd overall.

Old
04-29-2004, 08:55 PM
barnabyrules

MN_Gopher mentioned when the Stars offered their entire draft for the Penguins 1st overall pick, which was Mario Lemieux. This got me thinking about the Wild possibly doing the same type of thing for Sidney Crosby. Now let me just say that there is no way the Wild would do this but I do think that Crosby is going to be an amazing player and I wouldn’t mind if they did do this.

Currently for the 2005 draft the Wild have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3 4ths (Sabres, Avs, and ours), a 5th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. Personally I don’t think whoever has the top pick would accept this straight up for Crosby so we would have to start accumulating 2005 picks now. So I came up with these trades.

First we trade 3 4ths, a 5th , a 9th and a C+ prospect (Maybe Cullen, Cavanaugh or give them E. Chouinard Back) in 2004 to the Flyers for a 1st in 2005. They Flyers would accept this because they desperately need depth with prospects and with this trade they would get 5 young prospects and teams are usually pretty willing to give up future picks.

Next we send our 2 3rds, a 6th, a 7th and a B- prospect like Hannula or Cavosie, to the Avs for a 1st in 2005. The Avs also have no depth and with Forsberg most likely leaving in the next 1-2 years and their core getting older, they need to start accumulating young players now so they are ready in 2-3 years.

Lastly we send Fernandez to the Kings along with an 8th round pick in 2004 for their 2nd in 2005. In my opinion Manny is as good as gone and the Kings desperately need goaltending, they will most likely select a goaltender in the 1st like Montoya or Schwartz. But rookie goaltenders usually do not do well and the Kings will need another goalie to come in when Montoya or Schwartz is struggling.

This would give us 3 1sts (Flyers, Avs, Wild), 2 2nds (Kings, Wild), a 3rd, 3 4ths (Sabres, Avs, Wild), a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th in 2005. They also would have a 1st and 2nd in 2004 which I would like them to take Stafford (I think he will fall to us) and Wheeler.

Then we send most of these picks to whoever has the 1st overall pick and take Crosby.

Again there is no way the Wild would do this but it’s gonna be a long offseason with nothing much happing so why not disscuss it.

Last edited by barnabyrules: 05-03-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old
04-30-2004, 12:34 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Dear God...

And here I thought I was dreaming and smoking...

*hands you my pipe and my title*

BTW...don't you touch Hannula you *******!

Old
05-01-2004, 08:34 PM
barnabyrules

I'll take it you dont like the idea???

Old
05-01-2004, 11:53 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Drew Stafford.....

That's my final answer. Do whatever you gotta do to get him, Doug...you flippin' moron.

Old
05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyrules
I'll take it you dont like the idea???
I think it's only because you mentioned Hannula. Although, if Hannula were to go and Crosby were to come in, I'd say bye to Mika in a heartbeat. I'm sure Sidney would love to come back to Minnesota, he'd be familiar with the state after playing for Shattuck's. But, unless the Wild win the lottery like Washington miraculously snuck in, I don't think Crosby is much of an option. Also, I'm not sure that the Kings would trade their 2nd for Manny. They traded their 04 2nd for Cechmanek last year and I'd be surprised if they pulled the same trick again this year. But I like the ideas you came up with.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:04 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Hannula, for the moment, is the only LW we have in our system!

Old
05-03-2004, 01:07 PM
barnabyrules

Also, I'm not sure that the Kings would trade their 2nd for Manny. They traded their 04 2nd for Cechmanek last year and I'd be surprised if they pulled the same trick again this year.

IMO Manny is a better goalie than Cechmanek and therefore would bring in at least the same as Cechmanek. But i can see how they might be a little worried to do the same type of trade with another goaltender. I do think that Manny is worth a second round pick and i do think that the Wild will unload him before the draft.

Hannula, for the moment, is the only LW we have in our system!

In the NHL the wings are pretty interchangeable. What i mean by that is that the left wing is only a "left wing" on the faceoff and after that he will just go wherever need be. Its not like mites where the left wing stays on the left 1/3 of the ice, the center stays in the middle and the right wing stays on the other 1/3 of the ice.

Also, i am somewhat familiar with the wild prospects, i know most of their names and know about the top ones like Wanvig, O'Sullivan, and Koivu but i do not know much about some of the prospects that are 2-3 years away, like Hannula, Reitz Heid etc.

Old
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Heid needs a ton of work
Reitz is depth
Hannula is going back to Sweden
Brandner is going back to Germany
Cavosie is going to be a good depth center
Cullen is too.
Cavanaugh is also going to be good depth.

Foy top 6 winger, Irmen top 6 winger, Wanvig checking line forward, Boogaard enforcer...

Closed Thread