HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev confirms talks with Thrashers

Old
09-02-2009, 01:37 AM
habsfans333*

vCash: 500
Since the day the Rangers didn't sign him, I said to friend and on HF that I could see him end-up in Atlanta or dodge to his motherland.

He would be a great fit with Kozlov and Little. Il y a Kovalchuk too !

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Ashe

Kovy/Pev's/Antro
Kozlov/White/Little
Armstrong/Reasoner/Zherdev
Boulton/Slater.Thorburn

Would be the assuming lineup baring a trade...no way pev/kovy get split up after how well they played together last year.

Kozlov/White/Little
Kovy/Kubina(or)bogo

Zherdev/Peverly/Antropov
Enstrom/Kubina(or)Bogo(or)Hainsey

Thats a pretty killer 2 PP lines..

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
Honestly I think their defense is lacking, aside from Bogosian they really have no one and their paying Enstrom and Hainsey alot of money aren't they? If that is so they should have kept the money and used it on other defensemens that deserve that money
There is nothing wrong with Atlantas top 4 . Kubina is a fine top pairing d-man Bogosian has great potential and Enstrom is a strong offensive dman with great skating ability you reallly underrat him if you dnt think he woorth his 3 million or so per year. Hainsey is a fine no 4 dman. I would say that Atlantas waekness on defense is in the bottom pairing.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Juneemoon

The next paragraph was the sweetest part... he says the deal will probably be for one year. So you get a motivated Zherdev with Ilya to stay on his butt all season.
The Thrashers don't risk much and Zherdev can have a good season and repair his reputation in Atlanta, like Marc Savard did.

Have you discussed it with Kovalchuk?
- We are preparing for a new season together, and of course, I've asked him about Atlanta (city) and situation in the team. Of course, Ilya wants me to join the team (laughing). We could be a nice company (laughing). I played with Antropov in the Rangers last season, even shared the hotel room with him. There is also Slava Kozlov. Probably I will sign with the Thrashers for one year - first I need to look around and check things out.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
I'm happy for Z if he gets the gig in ATL -- I was one of the few Ranger fans that wanted him to stick around, even for a slight raise despite his decline in play and tendency to disappear. The guy is phenomenal to watch when he's on... and yeah, it gets frustrating when he's invisible, but the flashes of brilliance that he puts on are totally worth it, IMO.

Best of luck to him.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:06 AM
hashmarks

Atlanta is the perfect team for him. He can go put up his empty points and nobody will really take heed of what he is doing. Playing for Anderson is like playing for your grandfather so the demands on Zherdev will be minimal. It is really a perfect fit.

This quote from him sums him up:
Quote:
With them, it would be easier and more enjoyable to play.
That's Zherdev! Always looking for things to be easy--no talk of winning or anything...

With Kovy and Zherdev together, Atlanta's nightlife will take on a new dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I like the Thrashers finally bringing the super skilled finesse players that fit their offensive system.
The roster is about as light as it can get already, signing Zherdev would just make them lighter. The saving grace for this roster that it is in the Eastern Conferece. If this team was in the west, it would absolutely get dominated physically.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post

The roster is about as light as it can get already, signing Zherdev would just make them lighter. The saving grace for this roster that it is in the Eastern Conferece. If this team was in the west, it would absolutely get dominated physically.
You can't hit what you can't catch. Speed kills baby! And I'm not sure Kovalchuk does much tearing up of the town. He's married with a couple kids. Gives me the impression of being a family man.

It's a Russian revolution down here! Give me a line of Kovalchuk-Antropov-Zherdev!

The Sneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

How much money?

Zherdev was looking for $4 million per. His QO was $3.25 million.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Kaktus*

I do not understand why NYI do not have any interest in Zherdev.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
darko

I hope they get Zherdev. This could as well put them in playoffs. I know they were top 10 in scoring but getting Zherdev makes them that much better.

Could this mean Little goes to centering 2nd line??? Something along these lines:

Kovalchuk - White - Zherdev
Kozlov - Little - Antropov

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Washington Capitals

Great news!

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much money?

Zherdev was looking for $4 million per. His QO was $3.25 million.
If it is a one year deal with Atlanta who really cares about the money? I mean that in the way of Atlanta can afford to overpay him a little on a one year deal.

I'd be thrilled for Zherdev and Atlanta if they can get this done, it is a perfect fit for both sides.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Atlanta is really trying to make Kovalchuk feel at home with the Russians coming in. I don't think it's a particularly good plan, and I don't see a playoff spot due to the several nights each take off during a marathon season. Antropov and Zherdev were teammates, yes, but invisible as well during a crucial playoff run for the Rangers. Had each decided to do something, anything, the Rangers maybe would have closed out the series against Washington.
I don't know, wouldn't players who just take some nights off be a improvement for the Trashers?

Like they have had plenty of non-russians who have taken full seasons off for them in the past. And in the PO's, some people are still wondering if Tkachuck ever laced the skates for them or not...

Nah, in the end I don't think Atlanta would mind a couple of Russians.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Ola

I am not 100 about Ilya and Zherdev on the same line though...

In NY Z thrived with Voros and Dubinsky; baiscally stiffs, but they let him run the show for them.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
You can't hit what you can't catch. Speed kills baby! And I'm not sure Kovalchuk does much tearing up of the town. He's married with a couple kids. Gives me the impression of being a family man.

It's a Russian revolution down here! Give me a line of Kovalchuk-Antropov-Zherdev!
Some people just don't learn...

Don't worry, Zherdev won't get hit because he flings the puck away into oblivion every time someone challenges him anyway.

It isn't about them with the puck, it is about these guys without the puck.

Don't forget thrashers fans, rangers fans were ecstatic when the ranger's fleeced the jackets in that trade.

I am glad he might stay in the league, it will be a good sideshow

Old
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
beastly115

I would have liked Z back on the Rangers on the 2nd line behind Gaborik.

Zherdev is the ideal 2nd liner. He's a top tier 2nd liner and a lower tier 1st liner. He'll be awesome if he's not the go-to-guy like the NYR needed him to be. He'll be behind Kovalchuk and from a 2nd liner, 60 pts is pretty darn good.

If Atlanta pulls this off, I see them going from fighting for 8th to moving up to around 6-8.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
Right when the Rangers walked away I figured he'd sign in Atlanta so it makes sense...
I agree it makes the most sense and Atlanta has cap space so even at one year they may role the dice and give him close to his desired 4 million. Antropov got similar

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

If D-Wad doesn't trade anyone, I'd try...

Kovy - Peaverly - Antropov
Zherdev (if he can play left)- White - Little
Kozzy - Reasoner - Army
Boulton - Slater - Thorburn

maybe?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
If it is a one year deal with Atlanta who really cares about the money? I mean that in the way of Atlanta can afford to overpay him a little on a one year deal.

I'd be thrilled for Zherdev and Atlanta if they can get this done, it is a perfect fit for both sides.
There is threshold teams have to be under to receive revenue sharing dollars. If you look at Atlanta's budget(they are not a cap team),they are close to that threshold right now.

You may not care about that but I'm sure they do.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Vipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT View Post
Championat.ru citing a Sport-Express interview with Nik Zherdev, where he confirms talks with Thrashers and his desire to play for Atlanta.

http://www.championat.ru/hockey/news-297953.html

GOOGLE TRANSLATION
Very good thing. At least, take one year cheaper and prove your worth to the NHL,
like Tanguay did, and next year you'll get the jackpot. He'll be happy there with some other guys from his country. Best way to close some mouth about your work ethic.When someone is happy, things look easier. Go Zherdev go.

Vipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

Zherdev is the ideal 2nd liner. He's a top tier 2nd liner and a lower tier 1st liner. He'll be awesome if he's not the go-to-guy like the NYR needed him to be. He'll be behind Kovalchuk and from a 2nd liner, 60 pts is pretty darn good.

If Atlanta pulls this off, I see them going from fighting for 8th to moving up to around 6-8.
Strange, I thought that when the Jackets traded him he was going to work out wonderfully in NYR because he would get to be the "go-to guy" and wouldn't have to be in Nash's shadow.

Maybe he'll work things out in Atlanta if he signs there; I dunno. I suppose it's possible. I'd love it if he does; he's awesome when he wants to be and he's partly responsible for my getting hooked on the game. But right now the trend is pretty seriously against.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
cool, hopefully it gets done, it should help Kovy stay

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Frankie Spankie

Great news for Atlanta. I thought after the moves they did in the off-season that they'll be fighting for a 7-10 spot but if Zherdev does sign I can see them almost definitely making the playoffs.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

Zherdev was NYR leading scorer wasn't he? Points-wise, he was fine as the go-to guy, no?

He was 2nd behind Nash in points with the jackets and yeah...it was pretty good, and yeah...they still traded him. There is more to it than points.

What is the point of signing him there really? Are they trying to build from within? If they are a budget team like I have been hearing, they darn well should be and signing a guy like Zherdev for one year is the opposite of that.

If he puts up a great year will there be money to resign him? Do they want him for just one year and that is it? Other than making Kovy happy, it makes no sense when you think about it.

Old
09-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Zherdev was NYR leading scorer wasn't he? Points-wise, he was fine as the go-to guy, no?

He was 2nd behind Nash in points with the jackets and yeah...it was pretty good, and yeah...they still traded him. There is more to it than points.

What is the point of signing him there really? Are they trying to build from within? If they are a budget team like I have been hearing, they darn well should be and signing a guy like Zherdev for one year is the opposite of that.

If he puts up a great year will there be money to resign him? Do they want him for just one year and that is it? Other than making Kovy happy, it makes no sense when you think about it.
You have to admit, though, if it's another one-time playoff run type scenario, it makes a lot more sense than Coburn for Zhitnik.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote