HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-10 CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2009, 03:22 PM
dali

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Josefson seems more ready to make the NHL jump than Tedenby, in my opinion. He has the size that Tedenby doesn't, and obviously plays more of a two-way game. Teeta may need a little more time than people here predict. I can just imagine him coming over here and getting KTFO'd by a big defenseman as he flies through center ice with his head down.
Oh, I meant the Swedish Elite league. But nevertheless, it seems that Josefson is more of a sure bet and a solid performer than Tedenby that can become a jet pilot but might as well become a foot soldier.

It is always hard to say, how long it will take for a player to make the jump to the professional level. We might see both of them tearing it in the Swedish league for a while and then flying under the radar for good parts of the season.

But they both will be in an increased role compared to last season and that´s a good start.

Old
09-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Josefson seems more ready to make the NHL jump than Tedenby, in my opinion. He has the size that Tedenby doesn't, and obviously plays more of a two-way game. Teeta may need a little more time than people here predict. I can just imagine him coming over here and getting KTFO'd by a big defenseman as he flies through center ice with his head down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dali View Post
Oh, I meant the Swedish Elite league. But nevertheless, it seems that Josefson is more of a sure bet and a solid performer than Tedenby that can become a jet pilot but might as well become a foot soldier.

It is always hard to say, how long it will take for a player to make the jump to the professional level. We might see both of them tearing it in the Swedish league for a while and then flying under the radar for good parts of the season.

But they both will be in an increased role compared to last season and that´s a good start.
I agree. JJ seems to be a lot more NHL ready while Tedenby will likely get some more seasoning in the AHL next year. Josefson seems like one of the bigger players in the SEL. I don't mean size, I mean in popularity. He is alot more out there and has been for a while compared to a player like Tedenby who really burst out on the scene last year in the playoffs. Josefson has been a top prospect in Sweden's system for a long time. He certainly has been there best center and will be the number one for the WJC barring injuries or an extreme, extreme decrease in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
I like the idea of keeping those two together though. They seem to click and even if they don't play on the same line, it might be better for them both on and off the ice to be closer to each other.
They will definitely gel great with each other because Josefson is definitely someone who can keep up with him. I remember watching him blaze down the wing with so much power in his skating and pretty great speed. Now a guy like Palmieri (who Tedenby was on a line with) has a lot harder of a time keeping up with Taydenboo.

Our wündertwins are amazing.

Also This year, finland seems to be a country where lots of solid prospects are emerging for the 2010 NHL Draft. Dali probably can tell us more about them. Guys like Granlund and Pulkkinen and others are really looking to get some serious attention for first round picks this year.

Old
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
They will definitely gel great with each other because Josefson is definitely someone who can keep up with him. I remember watching him blaze down the wing with so much power in his skating and pretty great speed. Now a guy like Palmieri (who Tedenby was on a line with) has a lot harder of a time keeping up with Taydenboo.
I think Palmieri could replace Langenbrunner in a few years on the Zajac line. He has an absurd shot and seems to play the same kind of shoot first, ask questions later game that Langenbrunner does.

I think in a few years our third line could be something like Elias-Cormier-Langenbrunner, and this of course is after Patty and Langs have slowed down but can still contribute.

Old
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
I think Palmieri could replace Langenbrunner in a few years on the Zajac line. He has an absurd shot and seems to play the same kind of shoot first, ask questions later game that Langenbrunner does.

I think in a few years our third line could be something like Elias-Cormier-Langenbrunner, and this of course is after Patty and Langs have slowed down but can still contribute.
I actually think Halischuk is more like Langenbrunner than Palmieri.

Langenbrunner's skating is very underrated, much like Halischuk's. I think Halischuk is going to be a stud RWinger for us. I've said it a million times (okay, maybe twice), if he didn't get injured last year, he would be competing for the 2nd line RW spot and would be looked at longer than Bergfors.

Old
09-07-2009, 04:50 PM
DevsFan30

Pre-Season 9/6/09:

Jean-Sebastien Berube - 1 goal, 1 assist, +1, 4 PIM, 6 shots, 5 hits in Rouyn-Noranda's 5-2 loss vs. Kitchener

Old
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Devilswede

Wow, Berube is really tearing it up during preseason so far. Great to hear! Hopefully he keeps it up!

Old
09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
I actually think Halischuk is more like Langenbrunner than Palmieri.

Langenbrunner's skating is very underrated, much like Halischuk's. I think Halischuk is going to be a stud RWinger for us. I've said it a million times (okay, maybe twice), if he didn't get injured last year, he would be competing for the 2nd line RW spot and would be looked at longer than Bergfors.
Well yeah, either one of us could be right though. Those two seem like the leading candidates for that position in the future, with Halischuk being the more likely.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

I'm worried about Halischuck's knee. That was a nasty injury. He was tearing it up when he got hurt, and then he didn't see 100% when he came back. I hope he fully recovered over the summer.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:06 AM
dali

Quote:
Also This year, finland seems to be a country where lots of solid prospects are emerging for the 2010 NHL Draft. Dali probably can tell us more about them. Guys like Granlund and Pulkkinen and others are really looking to get some serious attention for first round picks this year.
Barring injuries and/or total sucking Granlund and Pulkkinen seem to be quite sure bets to go on the first round. Granlund is set to be on the top 10 if he can adjust himself to the pace of men´s league. Nevertheless he is probably the most talented Finnish center not named Koivu for the last 10-15 years or so. And yet he is only 17 years old, so it is far too early to say how he´ll pan out.

After these two there are a bunch of questionmarks. I´ll drop names later on.

I don´t necessarily share the optimism you do upon the Finnish juniors. Finland will probably produce a couple of NHL players per year but the overall level has lately taken a hit. I´m really worried about the depth in Finnish player development. If the overall level of competition keeps on declining, it won´t do good for the most talented players either.

There are some serious questions to be solved in junior hockey. We have wasted far too many players during the past years with simply wrong coaching methods. One could say that Finland produces the best defensive third line wingers with hands made of stone. Far too many junior coaches have pursued to win a junior championship rather than putting effort on developing players for the bigger leagues. I really can´t see any reason why kids should play dump and chase when theys should be involved with the puck as much as possible.

And now that I´ve started, the most annoying thing is the wrong attitude: We Finns are not urged to go for the win. We are taught not to make a mistake.

Another thing that puts questionmark above the junior system is the fact that hockey is concentrating slowly to the biggest cities and their surroundings.

Economically Finland is within a change of structure and its outcome is still uncertain. These changes are putting pressure on small towns and municipalities that have lost their backbone since many industries like paper industry have been moving elsewhere and causing troubles for their subcontractors too.

The internal migration is towards the biggest cities since jobs have been concentrating in cities and causing families moving after those jobs.

Many young guys from the smaller towns are forced to choose between moving to a bigger city after hockey or choosing another hobby. And that´s where many kids gice up on hockey.

Also hockey is more and more becoming an elite hobby, since the expences (licenses, team fares and equipment) are on a constant growth.

For instance Toni Rajala could have been another wasted diamond in the rough if his former team Ilves Tampere didn´t arrange things for him and his parents so that they were able to move to Tampere. But for every Toni Rajala there are a bunch of other guys that won´t have this kind of luxury.

It was a bit far fetched and longwinded post, but that´s my few cents.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
I'm worried about Halischuck's knee. That was a nasty injury. He was tearing it up when he got hurt, and then he didn't see 100% when he came back. I hope he fully recovered over the summer.
He looked awesome in the prospect scrimmage. I wouldn't worry.

Old
09-12-2009, 10:40 AM
DevsFan30

The BCHL opened their season last night.

The Devils have one player in that league - 2009 7th round pick Curtis Gedig.

Last night:
Curtis Gedig - no stats to report in Cowichan Valley's 4-3 loss vs. Burnaby

When I say 'no stats to report', it means he played, just had no points or PIMs. Unfortunately, the box score does not include +/- and individual shots on goal.

Old
09-13-2009, 10:39 AM
DevsFan30

Saturday's BCHL Activity:

Curtis Gedig - no stats recorded in Cowichan Valley's 6-0 loss vs. Nanaimo

Old
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
yarre

Hello. I have just watched Tedenby today and want to fill you up on him (even though I am NYR-fan, I just love to talk about Tedenby)

I am going to copy what I wrote in another thread when someone was asking why André Petersson was playing on the fourthline when Tedenby got thirdline/secondline minutes:

Stats doesn't mean playing better. André Petersson was good but Tedenby is probably the most aggressive player in HV71 and really makes stuff happen.

Tedenby is an absolute stud to be honest, I was glad to see André play as well as he did but he won't be promoted anytime soon I believe, we have better players than him but he is looking interesting. I do think he will get some icetime during injuries.

I must continue talking about Tedenby, it was my first time seeing him since the playoffs... He... wow. He's great at takeways, I am sure he had a few this game, I saw atleast 4. He wins the puck in situations when usual players just fumble with the puck. He drives by defensemen like nothing, I think he had two break in's infront of the goalie when he just skated past the defender because he is so lightningfast.

God I love that little bugger! He came along against four guys, I just stood up and shouted "show us some magic" and ofcourse he skated past them and then laid a pass back to the attacker that was coming into the open space.

Too bad about no points but he had alot of chances and he tried a few set ups as well.

Please don't compare André with Tedenby, André had a freaking great goal but Tedenby stood out like the artist he is...

Sorry I am just so thrilled to have watched him live. And I get the opportunity soon again. He is the fastest player I have seen and he creates so much!

Edit: Ohh but I must continue, I saw him against big defenders and he got hit and he took hits but it didn't look like was rattled by them at all. He seems to be getting better and better at taking hits. Ohh and those small movements on ice, he is so swift, I saw him change direction on what looked like a dime, other players need alot more time and space to change direction but he... Ahh well... I am sold. I have had my doubts about him becoming an NHLer because of his size but after seeing him today... He can't fail imo. I just hate that he is going to NJD.

Old
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarre View Post
Hello. I have just watched Tedenby today and want to fill you up on him (even though I am NYR-fan, I just love to talk about Tedenby)

I am going to copy what I wrote in another thread when someone was asking why André Petersson was playing on the fourthline when Tedenby got thirdline/secondline minutes:

Stats doesn't mean playing better. André Petersson was good but Tedenby is probably the most aggressive player in HV71 and really makes stuff happen.

Tedenby is an absolute stud to be honest, I was glad to see André play as well as he did but he won't be promoted anytime soon I believe, we have better players than him but he is looking interesting. I do think he will get some icetime during injuries.

I must continue talking about Tedenby, it was my first time seeing him since the playoffs... He... wow. He's great at takeways, I am sure he had a few this game, I saw atleast 4. He wins the puck in situations when usual players just fumble with the puck. He drives by defensemen like nothing, I think he had two break in's infront of the goalie when he just skated past the defender because he is so lightningfast.

God I love that little bugger! He came along against four guys, I just stood up and shouted "show us some magic" and ofcourse he skated past them and then laid a pass back to the attacker that was coming into the open space.

Too bad about no points but he had alot of chances and he tried a few set ups as well.

Please don't compare André with Tedenby, André had a freaking great goal but Tedenby stood out like the artist he is...

Sorry I am just so thrilled to have watched him live. And I get the opportunity soon again. He is the fastest player I have seen and he creates so much!

Edit: Ohh but I must continue, I saw him against big defenders and he got hit and he took hits but it didn't look like was rattled by them at all. He seems to be getting better and better at taking hits. Ohh and those small movements on ice, he is so swift, I saw him change direction on what looked like a dime, other players need alot more time and space to change direction but he... Ahh well... I am sold. I have had my doubts about him becoming an NHLer because of his size but after seeing him today... He can't fail imo. I just hate that he is going to NJD.
Thanks for that great write-up.

When you say he's the most aggressive do you mean that he's buzzing around finishing checks and playing physical, or just that he was keeping a busy forecheck?

Old
09-13-2009, 03:54 PM
yarre

Quote:
Thanks for that great write-up.

When you say he's the most aggressive do you mean that he's buzzing around finishing checks and playing physical, or just that he was keeping a busy forecheck?
He was laying out a few hits but what I meant was that he was in the action all the time, he was stealing the puck or creating something and challening the defensemen and getting to not alot. There is just so much happening around him all the time.

Old
09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarre View Post

We can't wait to see him.

Old
09-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Devilswede

I recently had a talk with Jacob Josefson where we touched on several things. Here's the result of that.

http://www.svenskafans.com/nhl/artikel.asp?id=315146

RB: How did it feel when you heard David Conte call out your name at the NHL Entry Draft?

JJ: It was incredible! I felt an enormous rush of joy go thorugh my body. It was a dream come true!

RB: Did the long wait make you extra nervous? After all, the first round does take a while to complete?

JJ: Of course, It was a little tense. I sat there for a few hours and the longer it went on the more nervous I got. That's why I was so excited when I finally heard my name go through the speakers!

RB: You got picked 20th overall. Martin Brodeur and Travis Zajac, two prominent Devils players were picked at the same spot in their respective drafts. Do you feel any pressure knowing that now? (hehe)

JJ: Haha, I didn't even know that. Those two are two very good players that have had tremendous success and I wouldn't mind to follow in their footsteps at all. But I don't feel any added pressure because of it. It was probably just a coincidence that I was picked 20th, just like they were.

RB: What was going through your mind prior to the draft?

JJ: I was nervous and excited. I just wanted to get drafted by a team, it didn't matter which one. But I'm extremely happy that the Devils finally picked me!

RB: Were the Devils the team that showed most interest in you or did you think that some other team would pick you?

JJ: It's hard to say, the Devils were obviously interested since they picked me, but before the draft I didn't have a specific team I wanted to go to. But yeah, there were of course some teams that were more interested than the others.

RB: How do you think you'll fit in when you make the jump to New Jersey?
JJ: I think I'll fit in great. The Devils are a great organization and they have had a lot of success. It's a team known for their hard work and their defensive structure. I like to play well offensively and defensively so I think it'll be great.

RB: What are your strenghts as a player?

JJ: I'm a two-way player with good vision and I'm a good skater. I like to have responsibilities on the ice.

RB: Do you have any weaknesses you need to work on?

JJ: I have to work with my shot and become more selfish in certain situations.

RB: How old were you when you started playing hockey? Were you involved in other sports before fully committing to hockey? And why hockey?

JJ: I started skating when I was 2, but started playing organized hockey when I was 4-5 years old. I played soccer at high level up until I was 13, but I chose hockey because it was more fun and probably because I was a little better at it than soccer.

RB: You have one year remaining on your current deal with Djurgården. New Jersey next up and would you be opposed to seeing some time in the AHL?

JJ: I have one year left and I'll take it one year at a time. I'm in no hurry but of course I'd like to play for the Devils as soon as possible. Like I said, I'll play out this year with Djurgården and then we'll see. I love it here with Djurgården and I feel like I'm developing really nicely.

RB: You recently spent some time in New Jersey during the Development Camp and you hade a chance to see how everything is run. What was your first impression of the organization during your first visit?

JJ: It's an extremely serious and successful organization with many great years under their belt, and many great ahead of them too. Everything was so professional and I was treated very well by everyone. I couldn't have asked for more. It was all great.

RB: Is it a team you envision yourself having a long, successful career with?

JJ: Absolutely!

RB: What was it like to meet and be coached by a couple of Devils legends in Scott Stevens and John MacLean?

JJ: It was huge obviously. They really give you helpful advice and it was great of them to come down and help out like they did.

RB: You weren't the only Swede during that camp. What was it like to have Mattias Tedenby and Alexander Urbom with you there? You guys know eachother from before, so that must've made things easier?

JJ: It was really good to have them there. Both are great guys and guys you have fun with all the time. Yeah, it was comforting to have them there.

RB: What kind of players are Tedenby and Urbom respectively? Their biggest strenghts?

JJ: Tedenby is a whiz that will make any defender dizzy out there. He's an exceptional skater with great skills. Expect the unexpected with him and hes always a threat against the opposition.

Alex is a d-men with good vision, skating and has a good shot. He's great defensively and very good offensively. He's hard to play against because he like to play the body and is always physical.

RB: There are five Swedes in the organization now, including you three and Oduya and Bergfors. Does it make things easier knowing there will be a couple of Swedes there when you do make the jump to NJ?

JJ: Yes, especially being new there. I can imagine it will be a big turnaround from my life here in Sweden. It will be nice to have someone to talk Swedish with.

RB: Is there a certain player you look up to or even try to emulate?

JJ: I've always liked Peter Forsberg and Henrik Zetterberg. I really like the way they play. They're good all over the ice, creative and fun to watch. And they're leaders on their respective teams.

RB: Is there a player you're looking forward to playing with in New Jersey? Or maybe against?

JJ: Haha, all of them in that case. The best players are in the NHL and it would be really inspiring for me to see how I stack up against them.

RB: How much do you know about your new team? Have you been to Youtube anything since you got drafted?

JJ: Yes, I actually have "youtubed" them quite a bit and watched some historical clips. They have 3 Stanley Cups so far, but there will be more!

RB: The Devils are your favorite team now, that's a given. Did you have a favorite team in the NHL while growing up?

JJ: No, I didn't have a favorite team really. But the last few years I must admit I followed Detroit because of all their Swedes.

RB: What are you most looking forward to this season? Any specific goals?

JJ: One of my goals this year is to have a bigger role on the team than last year. I want to be on the ice when the games are most heated and when a game needs to be decided. That way I want to take another step in my development. That's probably what I'm most looking forward to. And I'm course looking forward to playing in the SM-playoffs later this spring hopefully.

Fast facts:

Family: Mom Annika, Dad Peter, brothers David and Andreas.
Favorite number: I have 40 right now, but I don't have a favourite number really.
Motto: Pain is temporary, glory is forever.
Favourite food: BBQ
Listens to(music): Coldplay, Lars Winnerbäck.
Watches on TV: Friends, or a good movie.
NHL vs KHL: NHL
Stanley Cup vs Olympic gold: Both.

Old
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
kiwidevil

Nice article DS. cheers!

Old
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
JJ's been hanging out with McKaylotsofnumbers.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:32 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

He likes Coldplay. Yeccccccccccch.

Does it still look like he will playing right wing on Djurgardens first line?

Old
09-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit View Post
Does it still look like he will playing right wing on Djurgardens first line?
Yup. He has 9 points in 7 pre-season games. Djurgården has two more games left before SEL opening night. One today, one Saturday, both at 1 PM ET. Live boxscores here.

Old
09-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Jim Morrison

http://www.nordictrophy.com/liverapport.php?id=10

Djurgården - Brynäs

Josefson with 1 goal so far.

Old
09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Mgd31

this is probably a noob question but why do u some of guys call JJ, Yayo

Old
09-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Waffle Board

The J's can be pronounced as Y's, hence Yacob Yosefson, or Yayo.

Last edited by Waffle Board: 09-17-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old
09-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

DS, such a solid interview. Your questions alone made me want to read more.

Also, Yayo playing RW? Even more of a reason to trade Langenbrunner.

Closed Thread