HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo signs 12 years 64M deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
  #101
otto84
Registered User
 
otto84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
In terms of abilty, obviously that's not true. But in terms of attitude... I have a lot of questions about this guy. God knows he was a terrible choice for captain. Mitchell would have been a much better choice IMO.
Too true.

I was good for a laugh, though, when they announced him becoming the new captain.

otto84 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
  #102
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
This is basically a 9 year deal with the last 3 being around to bring the cap hit down.

It's a solid deal and gives the Canucks a ton of flexibility moving forward.

Agent007 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
  #103
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
NHL Numbers has the contract like this:

10.000 6.716 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 3.382 1.618 1.000 1.000

those are pretty high for 38 and 39 years old.
Looks like they just photocopied Marion Hossa's deal with CHI and changed the names.

Asher is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
  #104
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
2010-11 -- $10 million = Age 31
2011-12 -- $6.716 million = Age 32
2012-13 -- $6.714 million = Age 33
2013-14 -- $6.714 million = Age 34
2014-15 -- $6.714 million = Age 35
2015-16 -- $6.714 million = Age 36
2016-17 -- $6.714 million = Age 37
2017-18 -- $6.714 million = Age 38
2018-19 -- $3.382 million = Age 39
2019-20 -- $1.618 million = Age 40
2020-21 -- $1 million = Age 41
2021-22 -- $1 million = Age 42

I think it's safe to assume that there is a good chance that we may not see Luongo play into his 40's.

Agent007 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 07:02 PM
  #105
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
2010-11 -- $10 million = Age 31
2011-12 -- $6.716 million = Age 32
2012-13 -- $6.714 million = Age 33
2013-14 -- $6.714 million = Age 34
2014-15 -- $6.714 million = Age 35
2015-16 -- $6.714 million = Age 36
2016-17 -- $6.714 million = Age 37
2017-18 -- $6.714 million = Age 38
2018-19 -- $3.382 million = Age 39
2019-20 -- $1.618 million = Age 40
2020-21 -- $1 million = Age 41
2021-22 -- $1 million = Age 42

I think it's safe to assume that there is a good chance that we may not see Luongo play into his 40's.
You never know, he want to train all summer for 1M/year after making a gazillion dollars in the years before that. Hair gel costs money, ya know.

Asher is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
  #106
BlueChipper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
2010-11 -- $10 million = Age 31
2011-12 -- $6.716 million = Age 32
2012-13 -- $6.714 million = Age 33
2013-14 -- $6.714 million = Age 34
2014-15 -- $6.714 million = Age 35
2015-16 -- $6.714 million = Age 36
2016-17 -- $6.714 million = Age 37
2017-18 -- $6.714 million = Age 38
2018-19 -- $3.382 million = Age 39
2019-20 -- $1.618 million = Age 40
2020-21 -- $1 million = Age 41
2021-22 -- $1 million = Age 42

I think it's safe to assume that there is a good chance that we may not see Luongo play into his 40's.
Prime definition of a wink nudge contract.

BlueChipper* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 07:05 PM
  #107
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,756
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Meh, if Luongo is even at like Roloson level when he's 40 it'll be worth having had the deflated cap hit for the first 9 years or whatever. By that point $5.3 million may be too much for a player of that skill, but who knows what the cap will be 9 years down the road. If it's like $70 million, $5.3 isn't all that terrible for Roloson type "1A" goalie.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 07:55 PM
  #108
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Meh, if Luongo is even at like Roloson level when he's 40 it'll be worth having had the deflated cap hit for the first 9 years or whatever. By that point $5.3 million may be too much for a player of that skill, but who knows what the cap will be 9 years down the road. If it's like $70 million, $5.3 isn't all that terrible for Roloson type "1A" goalie.
That's the biggest thing with these deals. If he can maintain a high level until 38-39 it's a huge win for the Canucks.

If his play dips at 35 though, that's a completely different story.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
  #109
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
That's the biggest thing with these deals. If he can maintain a high level until 38-39 it's a huge win for the Canucks.

If his play dips at 35 though, that's a completely different story.
You need to compare it to what his cap hit would have been on a 6 or 7 year deal. $7.5?

Even if he starts to fade at 35 the Canucks are better off this way.

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  #110
Klaus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: dead
Country:
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Vancouver has a decent team but they don't worry me.

Luongo is a great goaltender but he has his weaknesses which Chicago exploited rather easily last season in almost every game.

Klaus* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
  #111
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,756
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Stripes View Post
Vancouver has a decent team but they don't worry me.

Luongo is a great goaltender but he has his weaknesses which Chicago exploited rather easily last season in almost every game.
It would've helped if our team defense didn't completely collapse. When you give up numerous grade A scoring chances they're going score...Be it Luongo, Brodeur, whoever.

I mean, given, Luongo didn't play near his best hockey in the Chicago series, specifically game 6, but watch the replay, the Canucks team defense was AWFUL.


Quote:
You need to compare it to what his cap hit would have been on a 6 or 7 year deal. $7.5?

Even if he starts to fade at 35 the Canucks are better off this way.
Yep. The minimum length of contract they started at was 8 or 9 years according to Luongo, so the cap hit would've likely been a lot closer to the $7 million range for that length. I don't think a 4 or 5 year deal was ever an option.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:24 PM
  #112
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
You need to compare it to what his cap hit would have been on a 6 or 7 year deal. $7.5?

Even if he starts to fade at 35 the Canucks are better off this way.
You really can't defend the deal they gave him until 39 while lambasting the Khabibulin deal can you?

Whatever potential benefit they get early is offset later on. They get a good cap hit now but they pay a pretty hefty price in the twilight years (35-39). The one benefit they get is the ability to bury him in the minors, but that's it.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
  #113
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I can understand your hate for the Canucks, I hate the Oilers...But come on, some of you act like you wouldn't want Luongo on your team.
I was in Vancouver after the Canucks got bounced by Chicago, and there was a lot of blame and hate being slung around and most of it was in Roberto's direction.

That said I wish the Oilers had a player of his calibre to give this kinda deal to.

nabob is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
  #114
vb
Registered User
 
vb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Surprising that teams are willing to take on these long term deals given what has happened to Rick Dipietro.

vb is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
  #115
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
You really can't defend the deal they gave him until 39 while lambasting the Khabibulin deal can you?

Whatever potential benefit they get early is offset later on. They get a good cap hit now but they pay a pretty hefty price in the twilight years (35-39). The one benefit they get is the ability to bury him in the minors, but that's it.
My distaste with the Khabibulin deal is based on his injury history and performance.

And Khabibulin was signed after 35 so there won't be any mulligans. The Oilers are stuck with him no matter what.

Burying a non-performer in the minors is a huge benefit by comparison. Once again, an example of poor cap management by the Oilers.

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
  #116
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,785
vCash: 500
I knew it wasn't possible to have this thread run it's course within the obligatory "Khabibulin sucks, Oilers sucks" motive.

Unreal.

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
  #117
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I knew it wasn't possible to have this thread run it's course within the obligatory "Khabibulin sucks, Oilers sucks" motive.

Unreal.
Better check with Dawgbone. He brought it up.

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
  #118
timorousme
luongod
 
timorousme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I was in Vancouver after the Canucks got bounced by Chicago, and there was a lot of blame and hate being slung around and most of it was in Roberto's direction.
just because you fight with your girlfriend doesn't mean you don't love her

timorousme is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
  #119
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Better check with Dawgbone. He brought it up.
Seriously, are you really an Oilers fan? Its been asked probably a bajillion times already but regardless. If the Oilers beat the Canucks all season, you'd probably still think the Canucks are better. Hell, if the Oilers place 9th and Nucks 10th, you'd still find something negative to say.

Begs the question: If you criticize them so much, whats the point in being fan? Not saying you can't but doesn't the "love" wear off?

frag2 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
  #120
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
You really can't defend the deal they gave him until 39 while lambasting the Khabibulin deal can you?

Whatever potential benefit they get early is offset later on. They get a good cap hit now but they pay a pretty hefty price in the twilight years (35-39). The one benefit they get is the ability to bury him in the minors, but that's it.
Just curious but...

With all these fine little points you continue to produce aside... are you able to look at the broader picture here? I mean I don't even know... you're always all over the place but are you criticizing the contract???

Vancouver has just locked up one of the top 3, probably top 2 goaltenders in the league until he retires for a reasonable cap hit. He will retire a Canuck and add to the respect, history and credibility the franchise has in Vancouver and around the league. Besides the fact that he's an amazing player, these things I stated count too.

They will be a perennial playoff threat with him locked up for so long and a few deep runs are *almost* all but guaranteed. Pure speculation but I'd say the best has yet to be delivered by Luongo, given goaltenders typically excel between the ages of 28-35. After he's 35 I'd assume he'll still be a top 10, possibly top 5 goalie in the league.

Are you claiming you could've signed Luongo to a better, more sensible deal? Do you think you have more knowledge and input towards the situation and the signing than GM Mike Gillis has/had?

Give me a break here... you have to look at the bigger picture and what was just accomplished by Vancouver management.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
  #121
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Seriously, are you really an Oilers fan? Its been asked probably a bajillion times already but regardless. If the Oilers beat the Canucks all season, you'd probably still think the Canucks are better. Hell, if the Oilers place 9th and Nucks 10th, you'd still find something negative to say.

Begs the question: If you criticize them so much, whats the point in being fan? Not saying you can't but doesn't the "love" wear off?
Seriously, if other teams make smarter moves and consistently beat them in the standings, shouldn't an Oilers fan question why that is?

Or is another few years out of the playoffs acceptable to you?

If it is, tell me what separates you from a Maple Leafs' fan.

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
  #122
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Seriously, if other teams make smarter moves and consistently beat them in the standings, shouldn't an Oilers fan question why that is?

Or is another few years out of the playoffs acceptable to you?

If it is, tell me what separates you from a Maple Leafs' fan.
So tell me why than you are hyping up Vancouver and Chicago??? even LA for that matter... What exactly have they proven? other than making the playoffs a few more times than the Oilers.

PepsiFiend is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
  #123
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
So tell me why than you are hyping up Vancouver and Chicago??? even LA for that matter... What exactly have they proven? other than making the playoffs a few more times than the Oilers.
What on earth does this have to do with Luongo's contract?

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
  #124
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
What on earth does this have to do with Luongo's contract?
And what did your previous post have to do with Luongo's contract??? It is a good deal for them... so what?

PepsiFiend is offline  
Old
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
  #125
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Seriously, if other teams make smarter moves and consistently beat them in the standings, shouldn't an Oilers fan question why that is?

Or is another few years out of the playoffs acceptable to you?

If it is, tell me what separates you from a Maple Leafs' fan.
Please refrain from typical snide response, but...

Seriously, can you not acknowledge that Oiler fans realize what is and has been happening to their team by now? Do you not understand and have you not seen with your own 2 eyes (glaucoma/cateracs maybe?) that most of the online fanbase has been questioning management's decision making for the greater part of the past 2 years? Why are you painting everyone but yourself with the same brush, as if we don't know what's going on? You appear to have some sick confrontational fetish.

Just because some posters are younger or "less knowledgeable" then others when it comes to the various intricacies of the Oilers business/planning operations, does not mean that people aren't well aware of how other good (and bad, by your token) teams are taking care of things in comparison to ours, the beloved Edmonton Oilers. This goes for both the online & offline, "real world" fanbases.

Most of us here know that it's been a gongshow for the past 4 years. Most of us know there are a lot of questionable/unreasonable and downright bad contracts on the books for the future. The majority know that things (specifically... EVERYTHING) should be dealt with a little more due diligence. So with that in mind, just give it a rest old man, would'yaz?

And believe me, I agree with you on most occasions, but the fans aren't nearly as ******** as you're making them out to be. What do you want us to do, storm the head offices with pitchforks and torches, then threaten to spill blood in the streets if things don't change?

All we can do now is prepare for the worst, hope for the best and see how this team plays for the upcoming season.


Last edited by Philly85: 09-02-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Philly85 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.