HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
cleduc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
Bresnik's twitter implies that the judge doesn't take Lepold's testimony seriously, which is most of if not all of the NHL's justification. Balsille has also admitted a mistake with the Predators in Hamilton stuff, which hurts, not helps, the reasoning of a poor business partner used by the NHL.
The term sheet the judge was asking for re Leipold was in the court filings. I think Leipold is on pretty steady ground there. Balsillie tried to change that deal.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
He was not. The local group had the bid but it would have been highly financed. More like his bid was brought in by Leipold to avoid them financing it more. He was at that time was thought to be a billionaire.
Ya, I don't think anyone ever accused Boots of being a billionaire. Kinda hard to stomach two separate NHL owners having to lend the guy $17 million, which would amount to pocket change for the average "billionaire".

It was documented somewhere that Gary brought in Boots to save the day, and even bragged about it afterwards, how good of a deal it was, etc. No doubt in my mind that Nashville was supposed to fail, at which point Gary and Boots would have moved them to KC. Let's not forget, Boots was under contract with AEG at the time to find a tenant for the KC arena.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc View Post
The term sheet the judge was asking for re Leipold was in the court filings. I think Leipold is on pretty steady ground there. Balsillie tried to change that deal.
Daly also admitted in his deposition that JB was perfectly within his rights to walk away from that deal and refuse to put up the non-refundable $10 million.

Old
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
He was not. The local group had the bid but it would have been highly financed. More like his bid was brought in by Leipold to avoid them financing it more. He was at that time was thought to be a billionaire.
I've having trouble finding a good article that states what was in it for Del Baggio. Did he at all stand to benefit from the team failing?

Old
Don LXXIX

however there is precedent for the court and the NHL rejecting Basillie....if it is done fairly....there seems to be no precedent for a court to force an applicant into the league against their wishes.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
While not in a bankruptcy situation Levin v NBA held that owners can choose their ownership partners and can reject an owner for any reason or no reason at all provided it isn't illegal. Mid-South Grizzlies v NFL used the same principle in its rulings. The NHL cited both cases in its brief.

So if the judge does rule in favor of the NHL he will probably lean on those previous cases.
a) Neither was in Bankruptcy
b) The leagues in question were not bidding for those teams.

Both make very large differences to the case, and ruling like that would be precedent setting. I can see the judge rejecting Balsille bid on the relocation issue while rejecting the NHL's blocking of membership (hence Balsille would be allowed to bid on the team with no relo). But I just can't see the judge ruling sure you can reject bidders for no reason and then bid yourselves for less money.

Setting the precedent that an interested party that stands to profit from rejecting a larger bid by bidding themselves would be a disastrous ruling and would get exploited in other no sport areas.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Couldn't the NFL-Al Davis lawsuit from the 1970s or 1980s be considered a precedent? That was where Davis sued to move to Los Angeles and the NFL didn't want him to, so Davis won a lawsuit and was able to move his team.
No. Raiders dealt with a relocation by an existing owner, not the approval of a new owner.

There however is precedent in rejecting an owner on arbitrary grounds (Fishman v Estate of Wirtz, Levin v NBA, Mid South Grizzlies v NFL). The court in Levin held that it was not an anti trust violation to reject an owner for any reason (or no reason) as long as that reason wasn't in violation of other laws (ie civil rights discrimination).

Old
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Please keep the discussions re: Nashville/Boots related to the topic at hand which is the situation in Phoenix.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
a) Neither was in Bankruptcy
b) The leagues in question were not bidding for those teams.

Both make very large differences to the case, and ruling like that would be precedent setting. I can see the judge rejecting Balsille bid on the relocation issue while rejecting the NHL's blocking of membership (hence Balsille would be allowed to bid on the team with no relo). But I just can't see the judge ruling sure you can reject bidders for no reason and then bid yourselves for less money.

Setting the precedent that an interested party that stands to profit from rejecting a larger bid by bidding themselves would be a disastrous ruling and would get exploited in other no sport areas.
The NHL would not profit. It would incur additional expenses in running the team and if it sells above the bid price that profit goes to the estate.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IMO the fact that the NHL is making their own lower bid to stop a higher bid should make the NHL lose. There's no way that should be allowed and if it is, IMO it would set a dangerous precedent. If the NHL was bidding more than Balsillie then it'd be another story. The only thing that would make it work out properly is that Balsillie is bidding on the condition of moving the team. That IMO is the only way the NHL gets out of this.

Old
RR

from HCKYFAN:

"During the break I took the time to go to the bathroom and actually witnessed a handshake between Bettman and Balsille."

Old
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No. Raiders dealt with a relocation by an existing owner, not the approval of a new owner.

There however is precedent in rejecting an owner on arbitrary grounds (Fishman v Estate of Wirtz, Levin v NBA, Mid South Grizzlies v NFL). The court in Levin held that it was not an anti trust violation to reject an owner for any reason (or no reason) as long as that reason wasn't in violation of other laws (ie civil rights discrimination).
I think the NHL bidding themselves and the bankruptcy makes these nothing more than a useful starting point for the current situation.

Anyways, it be back on in the courtroom

Coyotes BK: JB's atty Susan Freeman at bat. Offers up JB to testify about Leipold offer.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
from HCKYFAN:

"During the break I took the time to go to the bathroom and actually witnessed a handshake between Bettman and Balsille."
There's your side deal, let's wrap this up now.

Now, any report on whether either washed their hands prior to said handshake?

Old
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
CGG

Quote:
The NHL would not profit. It would incur additional expenses in running the team and if it sells above the bid price that profit goes to the estate.
Wrong. Relocation fees aren't included in the "Profit". So if the NHL sells the team to KC for $240 million, the estate gets $0 extra as the deal would be structured as $140 million for the team and a $100 million relo fee.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
ComrieFanatic

Back to Bettman's new clause of giving net profits to the creditors: Does the NHL's have a deal to re-pay the creditors up front or will the repayment be made with profits from the sale of the team?

Old
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Wrong. Relocation fees aren't included in the "Profit". So if the NHL sells the team to KC for $240 million, the estate gets $0 extra as the deal would be structured as $140 million for the team and a $100 million relo fee.
Didn't say they did.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Richter35

the handshake sounds VERY interesting. it hasn't seemed up until now the Gary and JB are buddies.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I think that is why it's important that they determine the fair value for relocation before anything is decided on. I'm sure the judge and the creditors are well aware of the fact that relocation fees aren't included as profit.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
CGG

Quote:
Didn't say they did.
You said the NHL wouldn't profit, I was merely pointing out that they certainly would profit, thanks to that asterisk about the relocation fees not counting towards the Net Profit calcluation that goes to the estate.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Back to Bettman's new clause of giving net profits to the creditors: Does the NHL's have a deal to re-pay thecreditors up front or will the repayment be made with the relocation profits?
AIUI, NHL claims its $140M bid makes all creditors whole (less Grtezky and Moyes). The "profit" issue is if the league sells the team for more than $140M (relo fee not included) it gives those profits to the bankrupt estate.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
the handshake sounds VERY interesting. it hasn't seemed up until now the Gary and JB are buddies.
My guess is that both of them love the battle, like how two opposing generals in a battle often have respect for the other, even though they want to quash them like insects.

Old
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

anyone know how long this hearing is supposed to last?

Old
Egil

Quote:
AIUI, NHL claims its $140M bid makes all creditors whole (less Grtezky and Moyes). The "profit" issue is if the league sells the team for more than $140M (relo fee not included) it gives those profits to the bankrupt estate.
Has the judge ruled on Moyes claim yet (you always seem to assume it isn't valid but I don't think that has been decided).

Old
NotBad*

Big Buisness is Big Buisness.

Heck I went golfing with the guy who orchestrated a hostile take over of my company.... I took enjoyment of marrying his daughter

Old
09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
anyone know how long this hearing is supposed to last?
All day I think. Resnik suggests they are scheduled to discuss every issue except the Glendale lease.

Closed Thread