HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl - Nyr

Old
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
Besides, the Habs are looking for size and not another midget like Callahan!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Joannie9

Quote:
Callahan is 3 years younger then Plekanec. He is ahead of Plekanec's development at the same age. Callahan is also one of the most physical players in the NHL while Plekanec is not. Their is no reason to think Callahan can't keep pace with Plekanec's career while adding a physical element.

Callahan at age 23
GP G A P +/- Hits
81 22 18 40 +7 265

Plekanec at age 23
GP G A P +/- Hits
67 09 20 29 +4 37

I agree Halak is great young goalie but his value is negligible to a team that already has a starter that plays 70+ games and a good backup who is happy in his role. Halak's value is much higher to a team like Montreal with a young starter who has limitless potential but could be inconsistent at times.

It's not a terrible deal it's just not what the Rangers are looking for.
Plekanec made 47 points at the age of 23
He made 29 points in 67 games at 22 years old
So, actually Plekanec is ahead of Callahan's development at the same age.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...000452007.html

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzel View Post
Am i the only one on this planet to love Plekanec ?????
- He will probably never cost more than 3 M$
- 40 to 50 points on bad years
- 50 to 70 on good years
- He's really Fast , and he create alot of scoring chances .
- Defensively responsible

Why the **** does everyone want to get rid of him???
Habs fans love to get rid of players approx. one year before they establish themselves as go-to offensive players.

(John LecLair, Mike Ribeiro, Hainsey, Beauchemin... etc.).

Old
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
That just suggests that the Rangers lack good two-way players. Its similar to the Habs where Lapierre is the one player on the roster that brings it 110% every shift and hits and agitates everything in sight. Yet i wouldn't overrate him the way Rangers fans do Callahan and Dubinsky. He's certainly not untouchable at any means. Think rationally and remove the bias.
What bias? Read my first post.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Callahan is 3 years younger then Plekanec. He is ahead of Plekanec's development at the same age. Callahan is also one of the most physical players in the NHL while Plekanec is not. Their is no reason to think Callahan can't keep pace with Plekanec's career while adding a physical element.

Callahan at age 23
GP G A P +/- Hits
81 22 18 40 +7 265

Plekanec at age 23
GP G A P +/- Hits
67 09 20 29 +4 37

I agree Halak is great young goalie but his value is negligible to a team that already has a starter that plays 70+ games and a good backup who is happy in his role. Halak's value is much higher to a team like Montreal with a young starter who has limitless potential but could be inconsistent at times.

It's not a terrible deal it's just not what the Rangers are looking for.
Plek is 26, Cal is 24.
He is actually 2 years younger, not 3.

So a more accurate way to look at it is this :

In Plekanec first full season he was 22-23 years old.
In Callahan first full season he was 23-24.

So actually Plekanec's development is one year ahead because he broke into the league a year earlier !

Callahan's first full season = Plekanec worst season
is a very accurate way to look at it.

Nothing against Callahan, I'm sure he will continue to develop into a great player !

But I prefer the guy with 3 years in the league scoring 20+ goals.
That shows consistency.

I wish he had the physique to throw some hits like Callahan though -
that is the only thing lacking in his game.

I agree that this deal does not really address the needs of either team.
But value wise, it a huge overpayment by Montreal.
Whether or not you have a use for Chipchura & Halak right now, they are assets that have value...

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
tizzel

Quote:
Habs fans love to get rid of players approx. one year before they establish themselves as go-to offensive players.

(John LecLair, Mike Ribeiro, Hainsey, Beauchemin... etc.).
Still mad at the Ribeiro trade.

I remember seeing him scoring 13 points in 2 games while he was playing junior in Quebec.
He just never had a real sniper in Mtl to accomplish himself

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Lizard King*

I say something involving plekanec and dubinsky. Obviously Montreal would add something such as pacioretty/dagostini and maxwell/chipchura and a 2nd or something along the lines of that

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashDuff View Post
I say something involving plekanec and dubinsky. Obviously Montreal would add something such as pacioretty/dagostini and maxwell/chipchura and a 2nd or something along the lines of that
something like

Plekanec, D'agostini, 2nd round pick 2010

For

Dubinsky

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWarrior View Post
something like

Plekanec, D'agostini, 2nd round pick 2010

For

Dubinsky
I would definitely do this

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzel View Post
Am i the only one on this planet to love Plekanec ?????
- He will probably never cost more than 3 M$
- 40 to 50 points on bad years
- 50 to 70 on good years
- He's really Fast , and he create alot of scoring chances .
- Defensively responsible

Why the **** does everyone want to get rid of him???
Because he didn't equal or surpass his last season's total. The "what have you done for me lately?" law.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
tizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Year Plan View Post
Because he didn't equal or surpass his last season's total. The "what have you done for me lately?" law.
We Defenitely have the most sensitive fans all over the league.

just an exemple : Kovalev

Why the **** did we make this guy a god in Mtl ??
...because he can do some crazy tricks with the puck .. and thats all!!!

Hes not a great player . He just make it so beautiful to watch and thats it.

IM NOt gonna give up on Plekanec soon . Hes a true warrior. i like him

Last edited by tizzel: 09-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.
tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:02 AM
GAGLine

Regardless of what value you place on Plekanec and Callahan, this trade does not make sense for the Rangers. We have no need of Halak or Chipchura. Lundqvist will be our goalie for the foreseable future and Anisimov will be our 3rd line center this year. Valiquette is a very capable backup and is comfortable in that role.

Plekanec and Callahan are both 20 goal scorers. Both teams are happy with those players. What purpose would be served by trading one for the other? Plekanec might net you more assists, but I'll go on record right now and say that Callahan will have more goals this year.

Callahan is younger and plays a more physical game. He's a better fit in Tort's heavy forechecking system.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
neofury*

I love how all the habs fans here are trying to pass Pleks off as a 70pt guy after the terribad season he had followed by a weak performance in international hockey.

The guy has been down right terrible, easily one of the worst players on the ice at all times and is just downright bad at the position he plays. (last season)

All you ever saw pleks do, go deep with the puck, hold onto the puck way too long, rather then pass the puck when having ample opportunities to do so, hold onto it and then lose it repeatedly behind the other teams net. I saw him do this time and time again last season it was downright annoying to watch.

The guy has lost something, I don't know if it was just an off year but he's not the same plekanec's. Maybe he could bounce back but after the terribad season he had how can you guys expect him to have such great value? He's like a cheechoo, he'd need to be traded for someone who has also had an off season or two. Not saying the value isn't fair in this deal, can't comment on it as I don't know the rangers player well enough to tell you, but I do know Plek and the fact that his play last season doesn't merit any team wanting him. Again, not saying he won't pass back, just saying if you watched him last season you'd realize he's the last player you'd want on your team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I love how all the habs fans here are trying to pass Pleks off as a 70pt guy after the terribad season he had followed by a weak performance in international hockey.

The guy has been down right terrible, easily one of the worst players on the ice at all times and is just downright bad at the position he plays. (last season)

All you ever saw pleks do, go deep with the puck, hold onto the puck way too long, rather then pass the puck when having ample opportunities to do so, hold onto it and then lose it repeatedly behind the other teams net. I saw him do this time and time again last season it was downright annoying to watch.

The guy has lost something, I don't know if it was just an off year but he's not the same plekanec's. Maybe he could bounce back but after the terribad season he had how can you guys expect him to have such great value? He's like a cheechoo, he'd need to be traded for someone who has also had an off season or two. Not saying the value isn't fair in this deal, can't comment on it as I don't know the rangers player well enough to tell you, but I do know Plek and the fact that his play last season doesn't merit any team wanting him. Again, not saying he won't pass back, just saying if you watched him last season you'd realize he's the last player you'd want on your team.
Yep, one bad season means he's garbage and must be traded at any cost. Basically the same crap Habs fans have spewed for years. The Niinimaa for Ribeiro trade is exactly what you deserve as a so-called Habs fan!

Old
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

No thanks from a Habs perspective. The Habs can't give up a center, without getting one back. The only senario that makes sense is including Plekanec as part of a deal to upgrade the 2nd line C position. The Habs have plently of wingers who are capable of doing what Callaghan can.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Yep, one bad season means he's garbage and must be traded at any cost. Basically the same crap Habs fans have spewed for years. The Niinimaa for Ribeiro trade is exactly what you deserve as a so-called Habs fan!
If Ribeiro was an UFA and wanted to return to the Habs, I'd tell him to take a hike. He's become a good player in Dallas, but from a habs perspective, that was addition by subtraction. He was hurting the team more than helping it and needed to leave.

I'm sure alot of Ranger fans feel the same way about Zherdev, even if he signs somewhere else and gets 80+pts.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
If Ribeiro was an UFA and wanted to return to the Habs, I'd tell him to take a hike. He's become a good player in Dallas, but from a habs perspective, that was addition by subtraction. He was hurting the team more than helping it and needed to leave.

I'm sure alot of Ranger fans feel the same way about Zherdev, even if he signs somewhere else and gets 80+pts.
You are right, but I think the guy change since his days with the habs he seem to have mature off and in the ice and he play with a more complete game.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Puhlllease. Rangers wouldnt do this either. It would do nothing to help our team either.

Not to say its not a fair proposal because value wise I think it is. But it would just create another hole for the Rangers.
What ? You think that Montreal isn't giving enough for Callahan ? They are giving way too much for him. I believe i will use your word "Puhlllease" !

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71756

one for another would be fair.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
What ? You think that Montreal isn't giving enough for Callahan ? They are giving way too much for him. I believe i will use your word "Puhlllease" !

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71756

one for another would be fair.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
Just read his post again.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Just read his post again.
Way to read, he says IT'S A FAIR TRADE !!! and i say NO it isn't ! Not even close.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Callahan is to the Rangers as Lapierre is to the Habs. Yet Pleks has more value than Lapierre. You need good defensively two-way players but its nothing to fall in love with...
Dude, don't compare these two, you're totally lost.

Quote:
Chris Higgins was producing at a higher pt/game rate than Callahan when he was his age and has more offensive upside and size compared to Callahan. I would rank Higgins > Callahan in my opinion and Higgins was behind Pleks in the Habs depth chart.
I'd gladly take Higgins over Plekanec any day. I've always been a big fan of his and he was undeservingly banished from Montreal as Koivu was. The Rangers will gladly take advantage of this. Look for Higgins to have a big year.

Plekanecs is a decent forward, but he does nothing to help the Rangers. We've already got Prospal and Dubinsky who are cheaper options. We also want to keep room for our minor leaguer center who finished in the top5 at 20 years old in the AHL. Adding Plekanecs, gets in his way. There's no reason to give up a guy who's got the makings of a captain and is signed to great contract for a guy who there's no room for in a lineup that he wouldn't improve, a backup goalie that will never see the ice, and a spare part.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:10 PM
dre2112

Dubinsky, Callahan, Plekanec... we don't need more marginal players that aren't quite the best but not bad either. These guys are the type of players Montreal has been plagued for over a decade: above average guys with little top end talent but are defacto stars because they're all that's available

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Dude, don't compare these two, you're totally lost.

I'd gladly take Higgins over Plekanec any day. I've always been a big fan of his and he was undeservingly banished from Montreal as Koivu was. The Rangers will gladly take advantage of this. Look for Higgins to have a big year.

Plekanecs is a decent forward, but he does nothing to help the Rangers. We've already got Prospal and Dubinsky who are cheaper options. We also want to keep room for our minor leaguer center who finished in the top5 at 20 years old in the AHL. Adding Plekanecs, gets in his way. There's no reason to give up a guy who's got the makings of a captain and is signed to great contract for a guy who there's no room for in a lineup that he wouldn't improve, a backup goalie that will never see the ice, and a spare part.
Higgins was behind Pleks in the depth chart. In fact, Higgins was relegated to 3rd and 4th line duty for a good portion of last season.

Prospal and Dubinsky while cheaper options are not necessarily better options when it comes to point production potential. As it stands Dubinsky has yet to prove he can be a high point producer at any level (including AHL & Junior). Prospal is a reject from the league's 2nd worst team. Pleks would be the Rangers #1 centerman if he were acquired. Its not saying much and its a bit sad.... but its true!! lol

Old
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
....no he's not. Plekanec was disgusting to watch last season. At least Callahan hustles.
Clearly you didn't see anything of Plekanec last year if you think lack of hustle was his problem.

The OP's proposal is just disgusting though. Post #2 pretty much summed it up.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
hendextall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Clearly you didn't see anything of Plekanec last year if you think lack of hustle was his problem.

The OP's proposal is just disgusting though. Post #2 pretty much summed it up.
I agree, as much as most Habs fans will tell you he was horrible, he was still one of the best players on the ice on many nights. The puck just wasn't bouncing his way last year.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote