HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Sign Taylor Pyatt to a one year deal

Old
09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
The team obviously has an abundance of forwards, and Pyatt certainly isn't a big impact signing, but at the end of the day he is better than essentially any of the players fighting for a bottom 6 spot, so in that sense I don't see how this could be bad. Would a more prolific scorer have been better? Sure. But that realistically just wasn't going to happen.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
He'll bring in the puckbunnies tho. Also sells a ton of those pink shirts.
It that's the case, he better be outgoing and demand the spotlight in Phoenix if he is going to be used to have the women in Phoenix jump on The Prytt bandwagon. It will be tough considering how many women in Phoenix have jumped on the Matt Leinheart bandwagon!

In TP's case he would have to raid the ASU Sororities first to get the bandwagon going.

Sean Avery and Sidney Crosby would be able to get the puckbunnies to go to the games without or little media coverage but:

Getting Crosby would be to sell the farm and Avery would be a cancer to the team and the youth!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
The team obviously has an abundance of forwards, and Pyatt certainly isn't a big impact signing, but at the end of the day he is better than essentially any of the players fighting for a bottom 6 spot, so in that sense I don't see how this could be bad. Would a more prolific scorer have been better? Sure. But that realistically just wasn't going to happen.
I'll wait and see what Moore and Comrie get. Of course, I'll also have to consider where they sign. It'll have to be a non-traditional market, for a bubble team to be comparable. Too bad Reinprecht wouldn't take a one year deal.

Upshall-Lombardi-Doan
Mueller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Prucha-Reinprecht-Boedker
Korpikoski-Fiddler-Tikhonov
Goon

...would've been okay.

Anyway, I guess this probably signals the end of signing guys to one way deals. Barring trades, I think we'll only see two-ways or camp invites handed out. With camp just days away, I guess we're going to have to go on the assumption that the current coaching staff will remain in place. So, assuming no more major changes(I know it's incredibly stupid to assume ANYTHING this summer), we're probably looking at what we've got to make a team out of. We're looking at another top ten pick, I think.

I'm absolutely in love with Erik Gudbranson and Brett Connolly, at the moment, who look, at this incredibly early juncture, to be possibilites in the one through ten range.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Too bad Reinprecht wouldn't take a one year deal.
Are you saying you'd rather have Rhino playing in the bottom 6 for $2.5M than Pyatt in the bottom 6 for what I imagine will be in the $1.25 range?

It's amazing to me that Rhino got the deal he did from the Panthers...I wouldn't go near him for $2.5M for 1 year.

Maybe I'm way off on the salary, but it seems people who follow the teams Pyatt has played on say he is a very good bottom 6 forward/pk'er whereas Rhino is serviceable as a bottom 6 forward, but it's certainly not a strength (and a terrible value for his contract)...and I may be foolish, but I actually believe the Coyotes already have 6 forwards who are better than Rhino making him expendable.

Who knows, maybe Pyatt can even show Mueller that soft players should still stand up for themselves every once in a while.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Are you saying you'd rather have Rhino playing in the bottom 6 for $2.5M than Pyatt in the bottom 6 for what I imagine will be in the $1.25 range?
One one year deals? Hell effing yes!!!

Old
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Source?
Search the Canucks boards. There's a thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
He's not a Heatley (talent wise) but he's a solid forward who hasn't hit his peak yet.

Old
09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

I will say this. I like the Pyatt signing better than if we had signed Dawes to a 1 way deal.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Search the Canucks boards. There's a thread about it.
I think it may have been deleted. I followed the link in the OP of the thread I linked in this thread, and it told me "invalid link specified" or whatever it says when you try to enter a deleted thread.

Old
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I will say this. I like the Pyatt signing better than if we had signed Dawes to a 1 way deal.
Yeah, but I wanted nothing to do with Dawes, anyhow.

Old
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
He's not a Heatley (talent wise) but he's a solid forward who hasn't hit his peak yet.
See that's where our opinions differ. I think he's already very much hit his peak.

I hope you're right.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
See that's where our opinions differ. I think he's already very much hit his peak.

I hope you're right.
The only thing I'm worried about is if he's still greiving for his recently departed fiancee (who died near the end of the season last year).

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:10 PM
galiano

Quote:
What kind of damage? He's big and fast but he doesn't hit anything and he can't score.

Taylor Pyatt is big and he's not what you'd call fast but he can throw hits. He'll help your team. He's also a good guy.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think he's already very much hit his peak.
I tend to agree. Though, a guy who's capable of fifteen or twenty goals and fifteen or twenty assists, that's also good on the PK, is willing to throw the weight around every once and a while, and can go toe to toe with a monster like Ivanans(a rare thing, but he's capable if need be), isn't all that bad for a checking line player. It's just I didn't think we really needed another checking winger, is all. Oh well.

Anyway, he's here now, so no use crying about it. Let's just enjoy this now that I've brought it up...

...too bad he's only good for a scrap or two a year. He looks like he could make a living off of fighting, alone, if he had to.

Old
09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
gorsk11

I remember watching him play 2 seasons ago with VAN - I thought - I wish we could sign this guy. Young, plays hard, skates well, has size. I do like the signing. Porter isn't ready for the NHL yet.

I think Pyatt is an improvement over Dan Winnik. And I like Winnik.

I like the signing, of course I would have liked Tanguay much more - but that didn't happen.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about is if he's still greiving for his recently departed fiancee (who died near the end of the season last year).
He's probably still not really over it, but seeing as how he's gotten back to business and got a job with a team, I take it that he's ready to get back in the ice. He could have easily taken more time off and not made any commitments for next season until he felt he was ready.

Naych_PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
RR

Quote:
I tend to agree. Though, a guy who's capable of fifteen or twenty goals and fifteen or twenty assists, that's also good on the PK, is willing to throw the weight around every once and a while, and can go toe to toe with a monster like Ivanans(a rare thing, but he's capable if need be), isn't all that bad for a checking line player. It's just I didn't think we really needed another checking winger, is all. Oh well.

Anyway, he's here now, so no use crying about it. Let's just enjoy this now that I've brought it up...
Don't lose total hope yet, Eeyore

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertDog
...As for the other top six scorer Maloney is looking for, is another thing. I sat and spoke with Maloney for about a half hour last week at the pre-condition camp practice, and kind of picked his brain. He reported that he would be giving Mitch Fritz a try-out contract, and that he feels that goon he wants will be settled between Fritz, Downey, and another possible try-out to another one.

I asked him if we were "done" in a sense of signing that top six scorer, and his response was that he was 50/50, but the ownership stuff needs to cool down.

He said there is talks with some high end talent and that he feels he knows who he wants, and what this team needs, and this player(s) is a teir I game changing player(s). He did not say who it was, but he said that it would either come by an offer sheet or a trade, that wont include any of the nucleus of the team, but possibly some "drafters" (which I think are draft picks?) and A Prospect...
Kessel? Stafford? Dubinsky?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:23 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
I would bet he's looking at one of the RFA's. You don't pull out the offer sheet card unless you really intend to use it.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:27 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I would bet he's looking at one of the RFA's. You don't pull out the offer sheet card unless you really intend to use it.
Exactly, and those are the only 3 still out there I'd consider a tier 1 or top-six forward.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:32 AM
God
Free Citizen

In 06-07, Pyatt played with the twins. For the last two years, he hasn't really played with them at all.

He's not bad, and he'll make space for the young guys. I was his biggest critic at the start of the season, but he improved later on and was one of our best penalty killers.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:51 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally posted by DesertDog
He said there is talks with some high end talent and that he feels he knows who he wants, and what this team needs, and this player(s) is a teir I game changing player(s). He did not say who it was, but he said that it would either come by an offer sheet or a trade, that wont include any of the nucleus of the team, but possibly some "drafters" (which I think are draft picks?) and A Prospect...

If GMDM trades for for a top six (or top three, from the sounds of it), it seems like we would have to trade a forward.

Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Upshall - Lombardi - Prucha
Pyatt - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - Fiddler - Tikhonov

Assuming those are all of our forwards in the NHL this year (not counting a goon and call-ups), who would be traded? It looks like everybody is part of our core, or just signed a contract with us.

The exception is Lombardi, since he still has one year left, and he probably isn't considered a part of our core (that could change or be wrong). Either way, I don't see him being traded since his playing style fits the team so perfectly, he has great chemistry with Upshall, and he's useful on the PK and face-offs.

Then there's also Vrbata, but I don't know if any GM's would take him right now. Maybe Maloney has been talking to the Habs?

Do you guys think Maloney would trade somebody he just signed? Or maybe part with somebody like Tikhonov? Or maybe Maloney lied and Tikhonov will actually play in San Antonio this year?

Sorry for the long post. This is driving me crazy.

Last edited by hao chi: 09-03-2009 at 02:56 AM.
hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I would guess that Mr. Dog spoke with Maloney prior to the Pyatt signing. Perhaps whatever Maloney was talking about fell through, and thus we get Pyatt.

Anyway, when I look at...

Quote:
Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Pyatt - Hanzal - Vrbata
...I see a million different ways those lines could fit in. I kind of like the amount of possibilities for chemsitry to grow, there. Really, there are a ton of ways those lines could be mixed and matched and interchanged. Another thing I notice when looking at it is how many number one picks there are. Doan, Mueller, Boedker, Upshall, Pyatt, Hanzal, Korpikoski, and Tikhonov are all former first round picks. That's eight of twelve, and Lombardi is a former second rounder. There is an awful lot of untapped offensive upside in that group. Which is nice considering almost every one of those guys is hard working, gritty, and good in all three zones. Every single guy is at least two of those three things, with the exception of Mueller. There aren't any passengers, there. Still, a whole lot of potential remains. I mean, every guy in the top nine has the potential to score twenty goals, next year. Plus, even though it's a generally young group, there is still a lot of experience in there. Most of those guys have been in the league a little while. God damn it's times like this when I wish we had the right coach.

Old
09-03-2009, 03:23 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
If GMDM trades for for a top six (or top three, from the sounds of it), it seems like we would have to trade a forward.

Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Pyatt - Hanzal - Vrbata

Assuming those are all of our forwards in the NHL this year (not counting a goon and call-ups), who would be traded? It looks like everybody is part of our core, or just signed a contract with us.

The exception is Lombardi, since he still has one year left, and he probably isn't considered a part of our core (that could change or be wrong). Either way, I don't see him being traded since his playing style fits the team so perfectly, he has great chemistry with Upshall, and he's useful on the PK and face-offs.

Then there's also Vrbata, but I don't know if any GM's would take him right now. Maybe Maloney has been talking to the Habs?

Do you guys think Maloney would trade somebody he just signed? Or maybe part with somebody like Tikhonov? Or maybe Maloney lied and Tikhonov will actually play in San Antonio this year?

Sorry for the long post. This is driving me crazy.
That's my first guess, if this was to happen. Second would be Tikh part of deal to get Kessel. Kessel for Tikh, prospect and/or pick? While Pyatt joins a shutdown line? Maybe.

I have to think Maloney is approaching this season like last: determined to make the playoffs. He's said won't rush the kids, so if he thinks adding Pyatt and one of Kessel, Stafford or Dubinsky on top of all the other moves get us there, why not Turris and Tikh in SA?

Old
09-03-2009, 03:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't know if they're going to move Tikhonov. The were so DETERMINED to get him at the draft table. Remember Maloney told Panger(or somebody) that they weren't going to leave the building without the kid. We payed a steep priced to trade up and draft him, too. They are really high on him. I'd be quite suprised to see him move.

Desert Dog spoke with Maloney last week. Maybe Tanguay was one of the "game changers" we were looking at, and that fell through when he decided on Tampa. Maybe we had a deal to get Heatley on the cheap, but Smith retired, getting the Sens under the cap, and all the sudden our offer wasn't good enough. Maybe it was Zherdev, who is now talking to Atlanta. Maybe that's all but a done deal with the Thrashers and we fell out of the race. Maybe he hoped that the ownership picture would be clearer by today, and he could make a big offer to Kessel or Dubinsky. It's not any clearer, so he went with plan B in Pyatt, as to not get left with nothing. I don't know. A lot could've happened in the last week. It could be that Pyatt is it, that whatever else was in the cards a week ago, no longer is.

Old
09-03-2009, 03:48 AM
RR

Quote:
I don't know if they're going to move Tikhonov. The were so DETERMINED to get him at the draft table. Remember Maloney told Panger(or somebody) that they weren't going to leave the building without the kid. We payed a steep priced to trade up and draft him, too. They are really high on him. I'd be quite suprised to see him move.

Desert Dog spoke with Maloney last week. Maybe Tanguay was one of the "game changers" we were looking at, and that fell through when he decided on Tampa. Maybe we had a deal to get Heatley on the cheap, but Smith retired, getting the Sens under the cap, and all the sudden our offer wasn't good enough. Maybe it was Zherdev, who is now talking to Atlanta. Maybe that's all but a done deal with the Thrashers and we fell out of the race. Maybe he hoped that the ownership picture would be clearer by today, and he could make a big offer to Kessel or Dubinsky. It's not any clearer, so he went with plan B in Pyatt, as to not get left with nothing. I don't know. A lot could've happened in the last week. It could be that Pyatt is it, that whatever else was in the cards a week ago, no longer is.
Don't think so. First, it was announced during court. Second, Pyatt is not a consolation prize for Kessel, Dubinsky or Stafford. And if Maloney was straight with DD, the target was an RFA. Who else could it be but one of those three guys?

I agree on Tikhonov. In a deal for Stafford, maybe, since Sabres aren't cap-crunched. But for Kessel or Dubinsky I don't think we'd have to go there if Bruins and Rangers are serious about dealing them. Unless it was Kessel and Kobasew.

Ownership is such a mess, maybe nothing happens. But, FWIW, I don't think Pyatt was plan B.

Old
09-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Fast forward to 4:38. He's great when angry. It just doesn't happen that often.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote