HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Sign Taylor Pyatt to a one year deal

Old
09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Exactly, and those are the only 3 still out there I'd consider a tier 1 or top-six forward.
Meh the only RFA that was really worth going after this off season was D-Man Denis Grebishkov of the Oilers.

Old
09-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Spectacular_Bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
Porter isn't ready for the NHL yet.

I think Pyatt is an improvement over Dan Winnik. And I like Winnik.
Please explain to me why Porter isn't ready for the NHL? Is Tikhonov ready? I'm really sick of people saying that this kid "isn't ready" that's a crock. He had respectable numbers playing in Phoenix (better ppg than Tikhonov) and he tore it up down the stretch in the San Antonio. I think he'll be in Phoenix this year, but if not I wish they would move him. I know someone would love to have him on their roster. I really believe that given the chance he will put up numbers like Versteeg did last year.

Oh, and what the Pyatt signing means to me is that Winnik is for sure San Antonio bound.

Spectacular_Bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Spectacular_Bid

Does everyone think Korpikoski is a lock to be in Phoenix? I'm not sure if he's on a one way or a two way, but I have a feeling that he may end up being the odd man out.

Old
09-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Bid View Post
Does everyone think Korpikoski is a lock to be in Phoenix? I'm not sure if he's on a one way or a two way, but I have a feeling that he may end up being the odd man out.
Korpikoski was signed to a two year one way contract. On a team with no money that makes him a lock for the NHL this year.

Pyatt's signing likely means Winnik will be in S.A. If Porter was up Tikhonov would also likely be in S.A. and I think it's pretty obvious Tik is above Porter on the depth chart at this point. That means Porter is in S.A. as well which I'm fine with for one more year.

My other concern is Perrault. If he's on a one way which it seems he is, are they going to pay him NHL money to play in S.A.? I can't imagine he's worth anything in a trade.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Spectacular_Bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
...I think it's pretty obvious Tik is above Porter on the depth chart at this point.
Why?

This is not obvious to me at all. Please explain. Nothing I've seen from Tikhonov has lead me to believe that he is obviously higher on the depth chart and I watched him play 40-50 times last year.

Old
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Why?

This is not obvious to me at all. Please explain. Nothing I've seen from Tikhonov has lead me to believe that he is obviously higher on the depth chart and I watched him play 40-50 times last year.
Because when it came time to send one of them down it was Porter that went, and he stayed there. That makes it apparent who the team sees as higher on the depth chart between two players that would have filled similar roles.

If a new coach comes in he may see it differently, but for now that's the way it is.

By next year ('10-'11) I'd expect to see both of them, and Turris all with a full time home on the Yotes and I'd expect MacLean to get a decent amount of call up time as well.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think he'll be in Phoenix this year, but if not I wish they would move him. I know someone would love to have him on their roster.
Yeesh. You are overreacting. The kid stayed all four years in college. He's patient. He can handle a couple of years of shuffling between the NHL and AHL. That's what prospects who play for decent normal teams have to do. If the Coyotes were less sucky last year, he'd have spent the entire season on the farm.
Quote:
Oh, and what the Pyatt signing means to me is that Winnik is for sure San Antonio bound.
I believe Winnik will have to clear waivers in order to be sent down.
Quote:
He's on a one way, and I think he'll stay up with the big club.

I don't know, maybe Tikhonov has let up on the NHL or KHL stance. Maybe he's happy in North America, didn't mind his time in San Antonio and is willing to do what the organization asks of him. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to take that kind of pay cut, if I were him, but of course, it is only one season. Still, I'd probably just go back home to Russia for that one year. Maybe the Coyotes are okay with him doing so. I don't really know. I would hope not. Tikhonov is clearly a very talented player, his biggest flaw is not being experienced enough at the North American game, in my opinion. He's not going to learn in Russia.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
My other concern is Perrault.
Perhaps a team like Colorado or the Islanders might pick him up off of waivers. Let's send him through a couple of days before Winnik, just to test the waters.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I mean, every guy in the top nine has the potential to score twenty goals, next year. Plus, even though it's a generally young group, there is still a lot of experience in there. Most of those guys have been in the league a little while. God damn it's times like this when I wish we had the right coach.
Exactly! And the right owner.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Exactly! And the right owner.
or just a owner.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Spectacular_Bid

Quote:
Yeesh. You are overreacting.

I believe Winnik will have to clear waivers in order to be sent down.
Probably a little, I'm a big Porter fan and I'd much rather see them give him a chance then bring in guys like Korpikoski, Pyatt and Prucha. I think given the chance he'd do a better job than all of those guys.

Wasn't Winnik awarded a two-way contract in arbitration? I thought I read that. If so I think he's in SA for sure.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:

Wasn't Winnik awarded a two-way contract in arbitration? I thought I read that. If so I think he's in SA for sure.
I'm not sure, it could have been a two-way and hope it was. I do think that rt might be right though and that he'd have to clear waivers to go down. I think some team would claim him.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
It's a two-way deal, but he'll have to pass through waivers to be sent down. It just means that if he cleared waivers, he'd be paid his AHL salary in San Antonio, rather than his NHL salary. I would guess his AHL salary is five to ten times less than his NHL salary.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm not sure, it could have been a two-way and hope it was. I do think that rt might be right though and that he'd have to clear waivers to go down. I think some team would claim him.
I we time it right, we might be able to sneak him through. The problem would be calling him up, later in the year, if we had to.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
gorsk11

Quote:
Please explain to me why Porter isn't ready for the NHL? Is Tikhonov ready? I'm really sick of people saying that this kid "isn't ready" that's a crock. He had respectable numbers playing in Phoenix (better ppg than Tikhonov) and he tore it up down the stretch in the San Antonio. I think he'll be in Phoenix this year, but if not I wish they would move him. I know someone would love to have him on their roster. I really believe that given the chance he will put up numbers like Versteeg did last year.

I think Pyatt is an upgrade over Porter as of right now. I though Porter was very good up here last year. But Physically needs some more time and I'd rather he get more PT in SA. He is close but I don't think he should be rushed. And I do like Porter as a player. I think Tiki could use more time in SA also. But I think Tiki is bigger and doesn't get drilled like Porter did. We must be patient on some of these young kids.

IMHO - At least - Pyatt and Prucha are an upgrade and make us better in the short term.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
SR

Quote:
I would guess that Mr. Dog spoke with Maloney prior to the Pyatt signing. Perhaps whatever Maloney was talking about fell through, and thus we get Pyatt.
Which I did. This was last Thursday, when I pm'd you. However, I dont think he was mentioning Tanguay, and I dont think the player he was describing was Pyatt. I am really not sure who we would be looking at, to be completely honest.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Which I did. This was last Thursday, when I pm'd you. However, I dont think he was mentioning Tanguay, and I dont think the player he was describing was Pyatt. I am really not sure who we would be looking at, to be completely honest.
It certainly is interesting, that's for sure.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Obviously Maloney probably could have done better than Taylor Pyatt but I think its a decent signing. He does need to find his scoring touch and I would love if he learned to use the body he has. He could really become a good power forward if he can do those two things. A guy like Tanguay would have been nice but I am kinda used to Phoenix doing moves like this. I can handle it.

As for Korpikoski, he will definitely be on the NHL if only for one reason. The PK. He was a good PKer for the Rangers and he will be up here. He skates very well and has a good wrist shot.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:30 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Dubinsky makes too much sense since it keeps the whole recycled Rangers program in motion

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
westvandal

Die Hard Canucks fan here,

My impression of Pyatt is that of a solid 'tweener' , in which he is a great guy to have fill a 3rd/sometimes 2nd line role on a team with lots of youth.

Positives:
Has good hands and a vicious shot in the slot because of his quick release, can fight and hit well, and is a decent skater for a large man. He's great on the boards and a solid PKer, also not too bad as a guy to park in front of the net on the PP(as a screen moreso than as a deflector).

Negatives:
He is still a slow skater compared to most guys, does NOT (to a frustrating degree) throw his weight around enough, he's too freakin' nice out there. Can go quiet for long stretches on the scoreboard.

When Pyatt gets inspired and/or angry he is an effective player that can change the outcome of the game but he'll only do that about once in 10-12 games.

However, he is a solid player in most situations and can fill any role as a tweener any place in the lineup.

How much are the terms? I didn't catch it, if he's anymore than 1.25 you overpaid. However, any less than that and its a great pickup for you guys.

He was expendable in Vancouver because we needed to get faster and Vigneault didn't use him anymore off the 4th line.

What did the radio guy say? 'cause that was super classless. What happened to Pyatt was tragic and the fact that he came back for the playoffs showed he cared about his teammates.

Anyway , thought i'd drop in and give you guys the lowdown.

I don't post on HFboards too much.

I feel for you guys that are fans of your team with the surrounding circus going on right now.

later.

Last edited by westvandal: 09-03-2009 at 03:10 PM.
westvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Appreciated. We don't know the dollar amount yet. To my knowledge the radio thing is uncomfirmed.

Old
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Might have been Kessel but it looks like he's going to the Blues.

I think we'd better just get used to the roster as it sits right now.

Old
09-03-2009, 04:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think we'd better just get used to the roster as it sits right now.
Probably good advice.

Old
09-03-2009, 04:45 PM
XX
Lots of Try

What would we even trade for Kessel? Maloney mentioned picks. I'd really prefer Kessel to Hall, that's for sure. He'd instantly be our leading goal scorer, and make the PP less anemic.

PHX 1st, CGY 1st + what else? Two firsts, one being a potential lottery pick, is pretty damn good value to start with.

I offered up Winnik and Ross.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
What would we even trade for Kessel? Maloney mentioned picks. I'd really prefer Kessel to Hall, that's for sure. He'd instantly be our leading goal scorer, and make the PP less anemic.

PHX 1st, CGY 1st + what else? Two firsts, one being a potential lottery pick, is pretty damn good value to start with.

I offered up Winnik and Ross.
I know many here won't like but if Maloney was comfortable that Kessel was alright with being a Coyote and was ready to sign long term (3+ years) I'd offer the '10 first, any 2nd and any d-prospect not named OEL. I'm saying d-prospect as that seems to be a consensus need for the B's.