HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft - 14th Pick and Possibly 23-24 Pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2004, 12:24 PM
  #1
theoilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Draft - 14th Pick and Possibly 23-24 Pick

Well, let's hope for a New Jersey win against Boston as if New Jersey wins, they clinch the division and Philly's pick becomes 23rd or 24th pick in the 2004 draft which is better then 27-30. That draft position is much better for the Oilers and puts them in a better position to trade up.

Having 14 & 23 and trading a Rita or anothe prospect puts us in a better position. Also, since New York and Washinton have extra first rounders, they may want to move to 23 or 24 since LEafs and Detriot have better positions and those teams could give Lowe extra picks.

And if Jersey wins.............CBC is sooooooooooo excited as the rating bonanza will be great as a Toronto-Habs series will get more then 2 million a night in Canada.

theoilers is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:10 PM
  #2
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoilers
Well, let's hope for a New Jersey win against Boston as if New Jersey wins, they clinch the division and Philly's pick becomes 23rd or 24th pick in the 2004 draft which is better then 27-30. That draft position is much better for the Oilers and puts them in a better position to trade up.

Having 14 & 23 and trading a Rita or anothe prospect puts us in a better position. Also, since New York and Washinton have extra first rounders, they may want to move to 23 or 24 since LEafs and Detriot have better positions and those teams could give Lowe extra picks.

And if Jersey wins.............CBC is sooooooooooo excited as the rating bonanza will be great as a Toronto-Habs series will get more then 2 million a night in Canada.
The Oilers will be drafting #17 unless they win the draft lottery.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames

Last edited by Narnia: 04-04-2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Error
Narnia is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:20 PM
  #3
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
the initial post is correct, the Oilers will be drafting at 14 with their own pick unless they capitalize on their 0.5% chance of winning the draft lottery, in which case they'd be picking 10th.

sigh...

speeds is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
  #4
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
sigh...
Couldn't have said it better myself. What's worse than finishing 17th overall in the standings? Miss the playoffs, and get the worst pick of the teams who miss. Just the worst place to finish in the standings. Ah well, hopefully the team learned something from their stretch.

H-Bear is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
  #5
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Kind of a bittersweet end of season alright. I hope they pick one of those swift wingers (Ladd/Picard) or move up and grab Barker.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:29 PM
  #6
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Kind of a bittersweet end of season alright. I hope they pick one of those swift wingers (Ladd/Picard) or move up and grab Barker.
does a package of both firsts, Hemsky, and Isbister move you up to #1?

Would it be worth it anyways?

speeds is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:32 PM
  #7
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
The Oilers have drafted from this general area for years now. Weren't Reisen, Henrich, and Rita all 13th picks? Mikhnov was a 17th. What about Hemsky?

t0mf00lery is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:33 PM
  #8
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
does a package of both firsts, Hemsky, and Isbister move you up to #1?

Would it be worth it anyways?
It probably depends on who wins the lottery.

H-Bear is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:37 PM
  #9
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh would be the least likely to trade their pick.

t0mf00lery is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:38 PM
  #10
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
does a package of both firsts, Hemsky, and Isbister move you up to #1?

Would it be worth it anyways?
I don't know if Isbister has much value at his current salary, but the rest of it is very attractive. I think Hemsky and the 2 firsts is a tremendous package, but if Pittsburgh were willing to deal the number 1 pick they would probably get many similar offers.

Would it be worth it? I don't think so, but I like Hemsky a tremendous amount.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 02:45 PM
  #11
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
The Oilers will be drafting #17 unless they win the draft lottery.
Huh? Youre thinking backwards. We pick 14th.

dem is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 03:44 PM
  #12
dukeforrest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dukeforrest
Best-case scenario: non-division winner wins cup and Oilers win draft lottery. This would give us the 10th and 24th picks

dukeforrest is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 03:57 PM
  #13
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
does a package of both firsts, Hemsky, and Isbister move you up to #1?

Would it be worth it anyways?
IMO, it would be worth it. A franchise player is what we need, and a franchise player is what Ovechekin will be. We certainly have the depth to fill in Isbister and Hemsky in the roster as both were healthy scratches a large part of the season anyways. It would be tough, but once in a while, you got to roll the dice and this looks like a time where we have the depth to do something crazy like that. Sure, one of our picks could end up getting someone just as good(ie Forsberg) but I personally doubt it. Probably can get a 1st liner there, but we need the type of guy that can consistantly be in the top 10 in league scoring. And hopefully with the new CBA, we'll be able to keep the guy that can consistantly stay in the top 10 in league scoring.

Another thing about drafting a guy like Ovechekin, is he seems to be the type of player that makes others around him better. Therefore, future 1st rounders, and guys like Niinimakii etc, will become better players than normal for playing with him. Just my two cents, but if I was Lowe, this is the time to make a push for a guy like him. However, like your original question, how much does it take? Not sure, I'd probably add one more player like Chimera or Salmalainen to get that one done but probably no more than that.

Jamie is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
  #14
metallicat
Registered User
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edson, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Does it really matter where they pick? Honestly, nobody knows if a player is going to be a good NHLer. Being an all-star in Junior doesn't automatically mean an all-star NHLer. I don't put much stock in the entry draft, never have and never will. There can't be that much difference between the players being drafted 3rd or so, and 14th. It is all a matter of opinion, and what a team needs, not necessarily skill.

metallicat is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 04:47 PM
  #15
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
does a package of both firsts, Hemsky, and Isbister move you up to #1?

Would it be worth it anyways?
I agree with Lowetide, Isbister isn't going to fetch much, and Hemsky, well his season this year wasn't stellar, but alot of people on this board, myself included pegged him as a 60+Pt guy, and when he stumbled, we cry fowl and demand a trade. So he had a bad season (sophmore jinx) he's a kind of player that can control the flow of the play, and he does do it, its just he still hasn't developed consitency and that knack around the net. With Hemsky you have a better idea how he stacks up against NHLers, with say Schremp or Malkin for that matter; you don't know if they'll be able to compete against NHL calibre players on a nighty basis. The only two sure fire picks IMO is Barker and of course Ovechkin, anyone else is a crapshoot.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
  #16
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
I agree with Lowetide, Isbister isn't going to fetch much, and Hemsky, well his season this year wasn't stellar, but alot of people on this board, myself included pegged him as a 60+Pt guy, and when he stumbled, we cry fowl and demand a trade. So he had a bad season (sophmore jinx) he's a kind of player that can control the flow of the play, and he does do it, its just he still hasn't developed consitency and that knack around the net. With Hemsky you have a better idea how he stacks up against NHLers, with say Schremp or Malkin for that matter; you don't know if they'll be able to compete against NHL calibre players on a nighty basis. The only two sure fire picks IMO is Barker and of course Ovechkin, anyone else is a crapshoot.

GXL
You're way over-rating Barker, IMO. Yes, he is the best defenseman in this year's draft, but that doesn't mean he's a sure bet.

Prendergast said in an interview earlier this year that if Barker were in last year's draft he would be behind Suter, Phanuef and Coburn.

He also said that Ovechkin and Malkin are a ways ahead of anyone else in this draft.

I already made a long post a while ago as to why I feel that the Oil should draft a skill center, or scoring winger with their top pick.

Barker isn't worth the move up for us, IMO.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 05:14 PM
  #17
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
You're way over-rating Barker, IMO. Yes, he is the best defenseman in this year's draft, but that doesn't mean he's a sure bet.

Prendergast said in an interview earlier this year that if Barker were in last year's draft he would be behind Suter, Phanuef and Coburn.

He also said that Ovechkin and Malkin are a ways ahead of anyone else in this draft.

I already made a long post a while ago as to why I feel that the Oil should draft a skill center, or scoring winger with their top pick.

Barker isn't worth the move up for us, IMO.
Barker/Malkin... The point is draft picks aren't sure bets. With Hemsky, he's still has youth (20 yrs old) and atleast you can gauge where he is against other NHL players. As for Barker, I'm going on consensus, thanks for pointing out the KP comment-I do recall that now. Boondock, who do you think we should pick up at 14th and 21st(possibly)? I've always butted heads with you, though I enjoy reading your posts.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
  #18
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Our second 1st rounder has become a 25-30 pick . Stupid Philidelphia!

H-Bear is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 05:22 PM
  #19
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Our second 1st rounder has become a 25-30 pick . Stupid Philidelphia!
Sick. I was up about the Ilses leading.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 05:49 PM
  #20
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Barker/Malkin... The point is draft picks aren't sure bets. With Hemsky, he's still has youth (20 yrs old) and atleast you can gauge where he is against other NHL players. As for Barker, I'm going on consensus, thanks for pointing out the KP comment-I do recall that now. Boondock, who do you think we should pick up at 14th and 21st(possibly)? I've always butted heads with you, though I enjoy reading your posts.

GXL
I would be looking for someone who can put the puck in the net, cut and dried. A high skill guy with the first one, and perhaps a goalie with the second.

This team needs a finisher, and if we can't trade up to get one, we have to try and grab one at 14.

The forwards I can't see lasting 'til 14:

Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Schremp, Wolski.

Some guys that might fall to 14th:

Ladd - he's been up and done draft rankings. Big, hard-nosed power forward with a nose for the net. Something tells me this kid might go a lot higher than expected.
Tukonen - sounds kind of like Rita, but grittier and with better wheels. A safe pick.
Picard - another hard-working gritty two-way winger. Has put up some good numbers in the Q.

Guys that should be available:

McGrath - looked to go high, but has tailed off this year. Still a silky, smooth play-making center.
Radulov - a guy that has rocketed up some scouting reports recently. Super talented, but major consistency issues. Redline has him high, much like they had Kastitsyn last year.
Lisin - raw scoring ability and speed. One of the fastest guys in the draft with some finish around the net.
Sindel - another talented Russian. Potential sniper.
Graham - another big, skilled centerman who's ranking got a boost from the Prospects Game.

Other possibilities:

Kaspar
Bolland
Chipchura
Booth
Pohl
Bickell
Salmonsson

The guys I find particularly intriguing are Lisin and Sindel. But, what I post here must be taken with a grain of salt as I obviously have not seen very much on these guys live. Most of what I post is second-hand information from various posters around here as well as some scouting publications.


I feel that there a lot of quality defensemen that will still be available with our pick in the second round, whereas the likelihood of grabbing a sniper drops off dramatically after the first round.

Ideally, if we keep our three top picks, I would like to see a center/winger with scoring touch with our first pick, another scorer or a goalie with our other first, and a d-man with our second.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 05:56 PM
  #21
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I would be looking for someone who can put the puck in the net, cut and dried. A high skill guy with the first one, and perhaps a goalie with the second.

This team needs a finisher, and if we can't trade up to get one, we have to try and grab one at 14.

I feel that there a lot of quality defensemen that will still be available with our pick in the second round, whereas the likelihood of grabbing a sniper drops off dramatically after the first round.

Ideally, if we keep our three top picks, I would like to see a center/winger with scoring touch with our first pick, another scorer or a goalie with our other first, and a d-man with our second.
I totally agree with you. I think a sniper should be right at the top of our list, especially a RW. I'd actually try and use both our firsts on a potential sniper then look towards goal in the 2nd round. Defense, IMO, should not be of high importance with Wowyitka now in the organization and MAB looking to be the real deal. Top end goal scoring is what we need.

Jamie is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 06:51 PM
  #22
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Huh? Youre thinking backwards. We pick 14th.
Yeah, you're right. I was confused and I don't know where I got 17th from.

Narnia is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 07:02 PM
  #23
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,356
vCash: 500
Oilers would be better to try and sign a UFA than hope for an impact player at their draft position. That's the folly of being a middle club for all these years.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 07:08 PM
  #24
Bohologo
Registered User
 
Bohologo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tokyo
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Past performance is no accurate prediction of future performance, but:

1994 Ethan Moreau
1995 Jay McKee
1996 Marty Reasoner
1997 Michel Riesen
1998 Patrick DesRochers
1999 Jeff Jillson
2000 Vaclav Nedorost
2001 Chuck Kobasew
2002 Christopher Higgins
2003 Brent Seabrooke

That's what the Oilers will likely get with the 14th pick. Averages out to a bottom six, 4-5 D, backup goalie, and a 1/10 chance of a total bust.

Given this, I hope Lowe can move up with the excess of wingers on the depth charts.

Bohologo is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:21 PM
  #25
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,029
vCash: 500
those past 14th picks arent too tantilizing are they (no offense intended to any of them, because some are solid NHLers)...... if lowe can get into the top 8 by moving both the 1st rounder i think he should do it, but who knows what will actually happen and who the oilers are high on or not so high on

jadeddog is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.