HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Riddle Me This Ranger Fans : 5 Questions I pose about Rangers

Old
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Riddle Me This Ranger Fans : 5 Questions I pose about Rangers

Tonight another edition of Ranger Crisis radio, since Ulf Nilsson took sick we are opening up the phones for the entire two hours to the most important guests of all Ranger fans.

I would love if you called in with your answers to these following five questions but if you want to leave them here in the thread I will read them aloud and give you and HF a shout out.

The show airs 9-11PM and can be heard here:Ranger Crisis Radio

The Phone # is (347) 857-2090

Here are the questions

1. Why is our team going to be better than they were last season?

2. What part of our team scares the hell out of you this season?

3. Every year there are players that break onto the scene as all-stars or even superstars. Sometimes they’re rookies that are expected to be great, sometimes they are rookies that shock the world and sometimes they’re younger players that simply come into their own. Who is someone on the Rangers that we should look to have a breakout season?

4. We all know that watching a team for 82 games, you start to appreciate things that casual fans won’t necessarily know. Who’s the guy on the Rangers that doesn’t get nearly the respect that he deserves?

5. If you were throwing down some serious money, how do you think the final standings of the Atlantic Division will shake out? More importantly, which teams do you think are going to make the playoffs from the Atlantic?

Thank You,

The Mouth

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Jewish Passover is in April, but the Rangers Passover is in September.

"Why is this season different from every other season?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Tonight another edition of Ranger Crisis radio, since Ulf Nilsson took sick we are opening up the phones for the entire two hours to the most important guests of all Ranger fans.

I would love if you called in with your answers to these following five questions but if you want to leave them here in the thread I will read them aloud and give you and HF a shout out.

Here are the questions

3. Every year there are players that break onto the scene as all-stars or even superstars. Sometimes they’re rookies that are expected to be great, sometimes they are rookies that shock the world and sometimes they’re younger players that simply come into their own. Who is someone on the Rangers that we should look to have a breakout season?

4. We all know that watching a team for 82 games, you start to appreciate things that casual fans won’t necessarily know. Who’s the guy on the Rangers that doesn’t get nearly the respect that he deserves?

5. If you were throwing down some serious money, how do you think the final standings of the Atlantic Division will shake out? More importantly, which teams do you think are going to make the playoffs from the Atlantic?

Thank You,

The Mouth

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Who says they will be?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Atlantic standings: 1)Philly 2)Pitts 3)NYR 4)NJ 5)Isles with the first 3 making the playoffs

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Who says they will be?
Agreed. I don't think we will be any better then last season.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Who says they will be?
Then why won't they be ?

Old
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Then why won't they be ?
The team has too many rookies on D and lacks first line players.
I still think getting a player like Kessel and singing a vet on D could do wonders for this team.

We have so many secondary scorers on this team (Callahan, Dubinsky, Higgins, Kotalik, Drury and Avery). But have only one true first liner in Gaborik. Acquiring Kessel would really help out our scoring when he comes back in December.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Here are the questions & Answers

Because, in Gaborik we have that go to guy when you need someone to score a goal. He's also that guy who can carry a team and break a slump.

The blueline, I cringe thinking about Redden. I'm considering going to church, making a donation, lighting a candle, anything to have god help him turn things around.

The obvious would be Callahan, Dubinsky, or Staal with big unknowns with high expectations for AA, Gilroy or Grachev. But I'm going to go with Chris Higgins. He's taken a lot of flack in Montreal and was banished, undeservingly, like Koivu was. The Rangers will benefit from this talented kid with heart, a nose for the net, and a 1 year deal before he's a UFA. Look for Higgins to be the #2 goal scorer behind Gabby and put more pucks in the net then the much talked about Phil Kessel.

Rozsival, and I'll say him because he gets a lot more flack than he deserves. He's got a 5million contract; he's not a #1 D though as the best D in NY, he's expected to be one; he had a bad year last year, which included a very slow start where he was coming off a serious injury/surgery; and he doesn't throw a body check when you want him to. Still, Rozi plays the most minutes and plays in every situation. That's a guy that the coach is trusting. He's solid in both ends and plays on the PP and the PK. He skates well and plays a quite, sound defensive game in his own end. Most, only notice a defensemen's play in his own end when something goes wrong and Rozi doesn't get noticed in his own end very often. He's got the best point shot on this team, from a defenseman, since Zubov and I only add in "defenseman" now because of the arrival of Kotalik, previously before Kotalik, I wouldn't have added that.

They're all going to make the playoffs except the Islanders. The Atlantic is the best conference in the league.
Pittsburgh will lead, then it's a crap shoot for the next 3 spots, so this is a bet I'd stay away from. NJ always finishes better then they should. Philly has a superb forward corpse and two solid defense lines, yet they have a head case for a goalie which could turn out really bad. The Rangers have a great goalie and a decent forward corpse, but lack the top notch defenders and are going to depend on a couple of guys to continue to improve.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
The Mouth

Thanks viper and Henrik. I will read your answers on the show.

Old
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I still think getting a player like Kessel and singing a vet on D could do wonders for this team.

We have so many secondary scorers on this team (Callahan, Dubinsky, Higgins, Kotalik, Drury and Avery). But have only one true first liner in Gaborik. Acquiring Kessel would really help out our scoring when he comes back in December.
As much as I'd like to say your 100 percent wrong I can't but I am being optomistic and I'm gonna say a ton of our 20 goal guys will cash in this year Gabby will stay healthy and with redden rosi staal danny g at the blue line playing the larger chunk of time we will be fine..let's face it atleast we have a solid 1st liner not past his prime who is able to pot 50

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Then why won't they be ?
1) Our go-to-guy never played a full 82 games regular season (came close in 02/03 with 81, though).

2) We lost Betts and Sjoström on the PK.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
The Perfect Paradox

If you want I'll answer the rest. If you need to read them to kill some time or something I wouldn't mind it at all.

The defense and PK. With the loss of Betts and Sjostrom I have a very bad feeling that the PK may decline. Last year we had the best PK in the league and were key to winning some games. Losing both of them may really hurt our team.

What I'm more concerned about regarding the defense is Redden and too many rookies. If a veteran d-man isn't signed, then we can possibly have 3 rookies if we need to carry a spare. Having that many inexperienced players on d is going to lead to many more goals or too much pressure on Henke.

Staal.

What many people forget about Staal is that he is still a developing. Even at the NHL players defensemen take plenty of time to max out on potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see Staal's offensive develop more this season. Look for him to lead the rush even more and see time on the PP. In juniors Staal was an excellent 2-way player. With Torts' attack style, we might be able to watch his offense game flourish.

Roszival. Even though he is overpaid by a million or so people fail to realize that Rosie is actually a decent 1st pairing guy with a really great shot. He can log 15-20 minutes a night and even though his cap hit isn't that great, he's still a big part of this team.

1) Pens (sadly enough)
2) Flyers
3) Devils
4) Rangers
5) Islanders

The top 4 teams will make the playoffs.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
As much as I'd like to say your 100 percent wrong I can't but I am being optomistic and I'm gonna say a ton of our 20 goal guys will cash in this year Gabby will stay healthy and with redden rosi staal danny g at the blue line playing the larger chunk of time we will be fine..let's face it atleast we have a solid 1st liner not past his prime who is able to pot 50
I still think if Gaborik stays healthy we really don't improve that much. We still need another 30-40 goal scorer and another veteran d-man before we even become considered any type of contender.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

Pay Chiarelli top dollar for Kessel, then pay Kessel top dollar so he can never achieve what he's done again? This guy lacks passion and a team concept. He had a good year on a great Boston team and now expects a kings ransom. I'd rather watch Kessel go somewhere else rather than having fans boo him because he makes too much and his 30 goals aren't 40+ that everyone expected. No thank, I've had my share of paying top dollar and sending out the future for disappointments and this guy as all the makings of that.

I'd hoped that Ranger's dark years had taught everyone to stop buying high, but I guess not.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I still think if Gaborik stays healthy we really don't improve that much. We still need another 30-40 goal scorer and another veteran d-man before we even become considered any type of contender.
How many 30-40 goal scorers did we have last year? That's right, none. The fact that we have 1 now, if he can stay healthy, makes us a better team IMO. And as I've said before, I believe Callahan will score 30 this year.

But more important than that, we need scoring from our blue line and we need some success on the PP. That will be the difference between this being a decent team that can squeak into the playoffs and a team that can really make some noise.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Ola

Quote:

Size and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth;20970867
[I
2. What part of our team scares the hell out of you this season?[/I]
Lack of chemistry. In terms of skill we aren't horrible, but there is no way all aspects of the game will work from the get go. And once something gets infected in NY it tends to get very infected. Like we did not have the material to have a good PP in NY the last 2 years in NY -- but it we did not have the 29th worst material either.

So whatever aspect of the game that starts struggling early in the season; it could be PP, PK, giving up late goals, not beeing able to put the puck in the net despite playing well, goaltending, defense, offense, 5 on 5 -- or whatever, could be something that will hang over our shoulders all year.

Quote:
Lauri Korpikoski

Michael Del Zotto could suprise with his high world class eye for offense.

Artem Anisimov could suprise by really adding a new dimension to his game in the off-season.

Michael Sauer could suprise by taking the love rangerfans would give him if he goes to war for this team, and using that as fuel to go to war all season.

Brandon Dubinsky can suprise by showing up and beeing more physical then Valery Kamensky. By just putting his skates on the ice. Lets call a spade a spade, Brandon Dubinsky was outworked by Ryan Callahan for all 82 games last season. That is not acceptble. When both were in HFD and during Dubinsky's rookie campagin he was on par or above Callahan in all thoose aspects. Last year he thought he was Mike Modano II.

A 38 y/o, broken down, Donald Brasher can suprise by beeing faster then Colton Orr, because unless I am blind he was maybe the slowest player in the league last season. Yes, when younger he were a better player then Orr, but I last season he looked very very old. Another Sather classic UFA blunder? Do we ever scout the veterans in this league? We constantly signs big names because of their reputation, not how they have performed lately.

Quote:
Atlanta could suprise. Lethonen is maybe the most talented goalie in the league. Now -- talent between the pipes doesn't equals good goaltending. Talent lets a goaltender move between the pipe, stay in position, cover more of the net by keeping his body upright, reacting to shots (reflexes) and stuff like that. Lethonen have all that and thats why he went as high in the draft as he did. The other parts, actually beeing a great goalie night after night, month after month -- is not something he have been able to achive. But that could come. Thats a young team with allot of go on it. A coach who won't hold them back and some players who could rise in the shadow of Kovalchuck. Their defense though...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Pay Chiarelli top dollar for Kessel, then pay Kessel top dollar so he can never achieve what he's done again? This guy lacks passion and a team concept. He had a good year on a great Boston team and now expects a kings ransom. I'd rather watch Kessel go somewhere else rather than having fans boo him because he makes too much and his 30 goals aren't 40+ that everyone expected. No thank, I've had my share of paying top dollar and sending out the future for disappointments and this guy as all the makings of that.

I'd hoped that Ranger's dark years had taught everyone to stop buying high, but I guess not.
Whether Kessel would be successful or not, it still begs the question of how we would acquire him and fit him under the cap. At this point, we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't see how that makes us a better team.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:

Top dollar? What kind of leverage does Chiarelli have in Kessel negotiations? Oh yeah, he has none. We have no guys in our system who will guarantee to score the amount of goals Kessel does. Grachev is the only guy in our system who may be on the same level as Kessel when he makes it to the NHL.

Your acting like we're going to deal away every prospect in our system to acquire older players. We're not going to have to give up alot for Kessel.

Callahan+Kreider and possibly a pick may get it done.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Top dollar? What kind of leverage does Chiarelli have in Kessel negotiations? Oh yeah, he has none. We have no guys in our system who will guarantee to score the amount of goals Kessel does. Grachev is the only guy in our system who may be on the same level as Kessel when he makes it to the NHL.

Your acting like we're going to deal away every prospect in our system to acquire older players. We're not going to have to give up alot for Kessel.

Callahan+Kreider and possibly a pick may get it done.
Go post this on the Bruins board and get back to me. Let me know how well it goes.

I'll caution you to not even try it without that pick being a #1. Which means Callahan and the first rounders for 2 years. No thanks, I'll keep Cally because his heart and two first rounders are worth way more than Kessel's poor defensive play, lack of work ethic, inflated cap hit, and 10 more goals.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Mouth, I'll be calling in tonight! Usually I just listen, but I definitely want to share my opinion on some of these questions.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Go post this on the Bruins board and get back to me. Let me know how well it goes.

I'll caution you to not even try it without that pick being a #1. Which means Callahan and the first rounders for 2 years. No thanks, I'll keep Cally because his heart and two first rounders are worth way more than Kessel's poor defensive play, lack of work ethic, inflated cap hit, and 10 more goals.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree at this point.

I actually found the Callahan + Kreider + pick from a post on the Bruins board.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Answer's in bold, Mouth.

Quote:

Here are the questions

We will be better for several reasons. One major difference is we actually have players that fit the system. Past Rangers teams looked like a puzzle with random pieces from other puzzles. Now with Torts, we have players he wants. Not just the "big names available". All the players he had gotten have proven to either fit the style and produced or fit the style and have been held back by Dinosaur Lemaire. All players selected have shown to be goal scoters and CAN produce, not some reclomation project. Also we may have 1-2 rookie defenseman, but it really is better to have 1-2 good young offensive defenseman than to have 1 Dmarek MaliKalinin, and Paul Mara. I really liked Mara for his heart, but he really isn't good at...anything.

The achilles heal of this team rest soley and ironically on Gaborik's groin. Hurt and we're sweating like Shaq at the free throw line. Though I am confident Torts and company know what they're doing.

Marc Staal. I would not be surprised if he registers almost 30 points. He is as good as they come in the defensive end and he oozes offensive potential. He has a very good first pass and can skate the puck from the defensive like a pure offensive defenseman.

Hmm, good question. I'll go with Wade Redden. People just hate him, and don't see passed the salary. I just want to yell "Youre supposed to be a fan, not a capologist!" I think he is a good #3. Too bad half the boards think they're "Armchair GM of the year!"

Pittsburgh
Philly
NYR
NJ
NYI*

*=No playoffs.

Thank You,

The Mouth

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Mouth, I'll be calling in tonight! Usually I just listen, but I definitely want to share my opinion on some of these questions.

Excellent Nyr2k !

Old
09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Mouth- I know you set these 5 questions but I would be interested in seeing who the majority of the fans on this board and your program feel was the biggest mistake to let go this off season

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:48 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Except getting a player like Kessel simply will not happen, because it will cost us too much, and probably hurt us more depth wise than it would help us. So I think we can let the kessel idea go already.

I dont see how having rookie defenseman who have been touted as being very talented, and if on the roster then obviously deemed ready to play, would hurt us that badly this year? We havent even seen a preseason game yet and some fans are already writing the team off.

Aside from the terrible contracts, Rosie and Redden ARE good veteran defenseman. Torts has said that he expects Redden to come back and have a good year because redden knows he did not play as good as he could have. You have Girardi and Staal returning who both continue to mature, grow, and strengthen their game. So you have 2 slots open. They probably will have a veteran fill one spot as a part time duty while a rookie breaks in. Or they may even have two rookies alternate with the veteran for the last two spots. I dont see how that makes us worse.

And no first liners? We did sign gaborik to a long term contract. I think that right there makes us a better team this year. We replaced zherdev with kotalik, naslund with gaborik, and AA with gomez (technically dubinsky for the #1 center job). Now of course Z is a little better than Kotalik but Kotalik can play the point on the PP and actually score goals which we never have year in and year out. Gaborik is 3 steps ahead of naslund as an upgrade being that he is top 5 forward in the league IMO. Center may be the one weakness, but how do you know dubinsky wont have a breakout year with a guy like Gaborik? And how do you know AA wont step up and put a decent amount of points up in his rookie year? You dont.

Let the team play

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote