HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Riddle Me This Ranger Fans : 5 Questions I pose about Rangers

Old
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Answer's in bold, Mouth.
Good post all around.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Thefalkon

1. Why is our team going to be better than they were last season?

They won't be. The defense isn't anything close to the defenses that we've had in recent years. We don't have anyone that can step into Gaborik's sniper role if he goes down, which is a big possibility. I don't think this team can be better than they were last season as this team lives and dies by Lundqvist and Gaborik's performances.

2. What part of our team scares the hell out of you this season?

Some people will say our defense, but I say Gaborik. If Gaborik goes down we lose our main scoring threat, and our offense would be mediocre at best.

3.Who is someone on the Rangers that we should look to have a breakout season?

I think Dubinsky and Anisimov have the greatest chance to have a breakout season. Dubinsky still has a lot of potential, and it'd be a huge plus for him if Gaborik is on his wing. Anisimov might surprise some people if he sticks on the roster.

4. We all know that watching a team for 82 games, you start to appreciate things that casual fans won’t necessarily know. Who’s the guy on the Rangers that doesn’t get nearly the respect that he deserves?

The answer would have had to been Blair Betts if he was still on the team, but he's not. I don't think that there is a clear answer to the question since many of the role players that we had (that were underrated) are gone there isn't one player that isn't getting enough respect. If I had to nominate one player that doesn't get enough respect it would be Henrik Lundqvist. Alright, alright, I get that he is respected by all of the Ranger fans, but the team lives and dies with him. The Rangers are a bottom 10 team every year without him. He wins them games and always is there to bail them out. How would you like winning 37 games a year on an offensively starved team? He's the reason why the Rangers were able to win those close 2-1 or 3-2 games.

5. If you were throwing down some serious money, how do you think the final standings of the Atlantic Division will shake out? More importantly, which teams do you think are going to make the playoffs from the Atlantic?

Final Standings:
Flyers
Penguins
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

I'll say 4 teams from the Atlantic make the playoffs again. It might be a little closer this year because the Rangers are going to be from 9th-7th in the East this year.

Good questions

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 05:47 PM
The Mouth

Last chance to get your answers read on live Internet radio HF posters. You must answer all 5 questions !

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
n_a_c

Last year we had major slumps which Renney could not not avoid or coach his way out of. This year Tortorella wont have the same problem.

Also, the second biggest problem last year was scoring depth - which is now much improved.

First, Gaborik's health.

Second, my health. I think Lundqvist should be able to stop a lot of pucks with a run-and-gun offense in front of him. With probably two rookie defensemen! But my heart might not enjoy stopping so often during the game.

3. Every year there are players that break onto the scene as all-stars or even superstars. Sometimes they’re rookies that are expected to be great, sometimes they are rookies that shock the world and sometimes they’re younger players that simply come into their own. Who is someone on the Rangers that we should look to have a breakout season?

Dubinsky. No doubt in my mind.

4. We all know that watching a team for 82 games, you start to appreciate things that casual fans won’t necessarily know. Who’s the guy on the Rangers that doesn’t get nearly the respect that he deserves?

Betts
But I guess the way Tortorella plays the game he isn't as useful.

5. If you were throwing down some serious money, how do you think the final standings of the Atlantic Division will shake out? More importantly, which teams do you think are going to make the playoffs from the Atlantic?

Very tough to predict the top 4. Therefore I'll go for something most wouldn't predict:
Philly
Rangers
Pittsburgh
Jersey
Fishsticks

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
The defense and PK. With the loss of Betts and Sjostrom I have a very bad feeling that the PK may decline. Last year we had the best PK in the league and were key to winning some games. Losing both of them may really hurt our team.
As much as our PK helped, the PP hurt twice as much. A full year with Gaborik, Higgins and other new additions under Tortorella will pay bigger dividends than Renney, Betts and Sjostrom. We still have our best PKer in Lundqvist and Staal is a year older. Gaborik is good defensively as are Drury and others.

I'm not ignoring the weakened PK, but it has to be tempered by our offensive prospects this coming season. The defense is sure to improve simply by pressing the attack and controlling the puck, just like we did successfully in the first 1/4 of last season before Renney abandoned it.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Except getting a player like Kessel simply will not happen, because it will cost us too much, and probably hurt us more depth wise than it would help us. So I think we can let the kessel idea go already.

I dont see how having rookie defenseman who have been touted as being very talented, and if on the roster then obviously deemed ready to play, would hurt us that badly this year? We havent even seen a preseason game yet and some fans are already writing the team off.

Aside from the terrible contracts, Rosie and Redden ARE good veteran defenseman. Torts has said that he expects Redden to come back and have a good year because redden knows he did not play as good as he could have. You have Girardi and Staal returning who both continue to mature, grow, and strengthen their game. So you have 2 slots open. They probably will have a veteran fill one spot as a part time duty while a rookie breaks in. Or they may even have two rookies alternate with the veteran for the last two spots. I dont see how that makes us worse.

And no first liners? We did sign gaborik to a long term contract. I think that right there makes us a better team this year. We replaced zherdev with kotalik, naslund with gaborik, and AA with gomez (technically dubinsky for the #1 center job). Now of course Z is a little better than Kotalik but Kotalik can play the point on the PP and actually score goals which we never have year in and year out. Gaborik is 3 steps ahead of naslund as an upgrade being that he is top 5 forward in the league IMO. Center may be the one weakness, but how do you know dubinsky wont have a breakout year with a guy like Gaborik? And how do you know AA wont step up and put a decent amount of points up in his rookie year? You dont.

Let the team play
For the Kessel thing, I'm going to repeat what I've said in this thread. What leverage does Chiarelli have in this trade? A 2nd line talent, a decent prospect and a pick may get it done. That isn't alot to give up for a player with the talent that Kessel has. I never said that the deal is definitely going to happen. Realize how I said a player like Kessel. A player who scores 30-40 goals a year to play with Gaborik.

I understand we have vets in Rosie and Redden. I also have no complaints about Girardi and Staal since they've been excellent. You've forgot that a team can carry seven defensemen a game, which would result in 3 rookies. You have to realize that even at the NHL level rookie defensemen take a long time to reach their potential. You can't expect that to come up and reach their potential in less then one full season. Look at Marc Staal, he has not reached his full potential yet. It takes time and if you expect us to make any type of noise in the playoffs we need to add another cheap vet to the mix.

With all due respect, you need to re-read my last bit of the post. I said we have no first line players besides Gaborik. How do you expect a team to win anything if they only have one first line player? This is where the need of a player like a Kessel type comes in. We need another scoring threat, it doesn't have to a game breaker like Gaborik, but someone who has the talent to put 30-35 pucks in the net.

I don't think we've got worse, but I think we've stayed the same, mediocre. We replaced with Kotalik with Zherdev (in production). Gaborik>Naslund + Antro production. Our defense is a little worse IMO. With that said, I still feel or team will be the same mediocre team then last year and finish in the 6th-9th seed.

Simple enough, too many players would need to have break out seasons to improve.

I hope I'm proved wrong by the team, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
For the Kessel thing, I'm going to repeat what I've said in this thread. What leverage does Chiarelli have in this trade? A 2nd line talent, a decent prospect and a pick may get it done. That isn't alot to give up for a player with the talent that Kessel has. I never said that the deal is definitely going to happen. Realize how I said a player like Kessel. A player who scores 30-40 goals a year to play with Gaborik.

I understand we have vets in Rosie and Redden. I also have no complaints about Girardi and Staal since they've been excellent. You've forgot that a team can carry seven defensemen a game, which would result in 3 rookies. You have to realize that even at the NHL level rookie defensemen take a long time to reach their potential. You can't expect that to come up and reach their potential in less then one full season. Look at Marc Staal, he has not reached his full potential yet. It takes time and if you expect us to make any type of noise in the playoffs we need to add another cheap vet to the mix.

With all due respect, you need to re-read my last bit of the post. I said we have no first line players besides Gaborik. How do you expect a team to win anything if they only have one first line player? This is where the need of a player like a Kessel type comes in. We need another scoring threat, it doesn't have to a game breaker like Gaborik, but someone who has the talent to put 30-35 pucks in the net.

I don't think we've got worse, but I think we've stayed the same, mediocre. We replaced with Kotalik with Zherdev (in production). Gaborik>Naslund + Antro production. Our defense is a little worse IMO. With that said, I still feel or team will be the same mediocre team then last year and finish in the 6th-9th seed.

Simple enough, too many players would need to have break out seasons to improve.

I hope I'm proved wrong by the team, but I'm just trying to be realistic.
I agree. This team is still about 2 years away from being a legit cup contender imo. At least they are moving in the right direction. Once we can move Redden or Drury and have a couple of our young guys crack the lineup AND perform I think we'll have a good shot. This year or next...unlikely.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Here are the questions

We have a game breaker, something we didn't have last season after Jagr left. Also coming into a full year of Torts hocey should help. Not the biggest fan of the guy but I like his style of play.

The same thing that makes me think we might be successful, Torts... His offense first style may leave Henrik vulnerable thank god it's Henrik and not one of the scrub goalies we used to have like Hebert lol.

3. Every year there are players that break onto the scene as all-stars or even superstars. Sometimes they’re rookies that are expected to be great, sometimes they are rookies that shock the world and sometimes they’re younger players that simply come into their own. Who is someone on the Rangers that we should look to have a breakout season?Anisimov should surprise some people, I have been reading a lot of "negative" type posts about him. I say if Dubinsky exploded onto the scene why can't AA whom doubled Dubinsky's production in the one full AHL season he played and matched it in the 40ish games he played the year before. The kid will be a gamer, possible a slow start but he will grow into his own.

4. We all know that watching a team for 82 games, you start to appreciate things that casual fans won’t necessarily know. Who’s the guy on the Rangers that doesn’t get nearly the respect that he deserves?Before this season I think it was Mara, but now... That's a tough one too many new faces, I'd say Rozsival is given a harder time than he deserves.

5. If you were throwing down some serious money, how do you think the final standings of the Atlantic Division will shake out? More importantly, which teams do you think are going to make the playoffs from the Atlantic? PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI. The Atlantic will have four teams in the PO's and NJ/PHI are interchangable depending on the goaltending in Philly.

Thank You,

The Mouth
Hope this is what you were looking for.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Great show tonight Mouth, as always. Thanks for taking my call!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Show Rocked !!!!

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Show Rocked !!!!
You're killing me with the Lundqvist stuff, Dag! Honestly though, your points were all valid.

...and I definitely agreed with your answer to what scares you the most.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
I listened to the majority of the show as well, pretty much rocked.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
The Mouth

Thanks so much guys you made the show that much better. I think i will have more rapid fire rounds like that with callers in the futures. it was fast and furious. Anybody who answered the questions and I didnt get to, I will do them next thursday.

I'm glad you like the show. it means a lot

Old
09-04-2009, 12:38 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Great show as usual Mouth. Regardless if no one on the show agreed with my answers it was still enjoyable.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:18 AM
gravey9

This team will be a lot stronger for one simple reason that trumps nearly every other point of comparison to last season.

Since 1994, there was only one other season where the Rangers were an effective dump and chase team and that was 05-06 coming out of the lockout. By and large the crew is fast and almost to a man very north/south. They can and will retrieve pucks in the corners - ala 94 (noonan, larmer, nemchinov, matteau, mactavish, anderson, etc). It will be able to use serious puck pressure to set the tone in the first 10 minutes of any game. This was a serious serious problem the last few seasons. We got pushed around and spent too much time trying to set the tone. A defenseman with agility, with some offensive flair could really go to town on a team like this because teams will be forced to collapse down low to relieve the cycling pressure.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're killing me with the Lundqvist stuff, Dag! Honestly though, your points were all valid.

...and I definitely agreed with your answer to what scares you the most.
Torts worries me bigtime. he is a bully but only time will tell. The show is fun because of the difference in opinions

Old
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
n_a_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
As much as our PK helped, the PP hurt twice as much. A full year with Gaborik, Higgins and other new additions under Tortorella will pay bigger dividends than Renney, Betts and Sjostrom. We still have our best PKer in Lundqvist and Staal is a year older. Gaborik is good defensively as are Drury and others.

I'm not ignoring the weakened PK, but it has to be tempered by our offensive prospects this coming season. The defense is sure to improve simply by pressing the attack and controlling the puck, just like we did successfully in the first 1/4 of last season before Renney abandoned it.
Great post DutchShamrock, you described well exactly what I've been thinking.

I'd just word the last sentence as - our overall defensive play may decline some, but not as much as feared simply because we'll be pressing the attack and controlling the puck...

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
The Mouth

Quote:
Great show as usual Mouth. Regardless if no one on the show agreed with my answers it was still enjoyable.

Henrik, There have been plenty of times when no Ranger fan on the planet agreed with me. So I know how that goes.

Speaking for myself I love hearing opinions, if it has something I feel reasonable behind it, it always has a chance of swaying my thinking or enhancing my thought on a subject. Like McLaren. I was dead set against the guy but maybe as a 7th guy coming off the bench, he's not a bad option if he looks impressive in camp.

The archived show can be heard here

Ranger Crisis Radio

Last edited by The Mouth: 09-04-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old
09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
TomLaidlaw

That was the first time I heard the show, it was quite enjoyable. You do a nice job on it Mouth. It was strange hearing Dagoon and nyr2k (who i assume was the caller from DC) actually speak. The transformation from message board poster to actual speaking human is a weird transition. You both did a nice job and articulated your points well. I love Dagoon stirring the pot with the Henrik comments. Dagoon, was 100% right when he said Henrik has yet to put a full season together. You could feel the anger from the other two guys on the show when he said that. Very enjoyable.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Levitate

hah, yeah it's sometimes hard to argue that Henrik has put a full season together, though I think fans also hold him to a standard that's generally extremely difficult to attain for goaltenders.

He tends to have his slumps at bad times and they last a little longer than other goalies. Take someone like Brodeur who regularly has terrible Octobers with sub 9 save percentages, but gets it rolling later in the year, so no one remembers that terrible start.

Lundqvist starting off hot and then flaming out in December stands out in peoples minds more often.

Theoretically he might do well to not play so hard or so much in the first two months of the season so he doesn't have that flameout

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

It's difficult to put a full season together when you are left out to dry by your team every single night you take the ice.

This team didn't score any goals for him. Not only that, but the defense was horrendous as well. There are maybe 2 or 3 other goaltenders in the league that could have coped with what Lundqvist faced last season. Everyone else would have crumbled and we would have been front runners in the Tavares-Hedman sweepstakes.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
That was the first time I heard the show, it was quite enjoyable. You do a nice job on it Mouth. It was strange hearing Dagoon and nyr2k (who i assume was the caller from DC) actually speak. The transformation from message board poster to actual speaking human is a weird transition. You both did a nice job and articulated your points well. I love Dagoon stirring the pot with the Henrik comments. Dagoon, was 100% right when he said Henrik has yet to put a full season together. You could feel the anger from the other two guys on the show when he said that. Very enjoyable.
hopefully i got my points across stronger verbally then here on the board. On here i get so upset and writing isn't my strong point but being on tv so much speaking comes easier. I am 100% a Hank supporter just think there are flaws in his game. I also feel we need a better back up

Old
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

1.This season we have a bunch of new kids who are young, fast, and strong. If they mesh well together with the other players then I think we have a very good shot this season.

2. Last year we were #1 in the league in PK, because of Betts and Sjostrum. We lost both of those player, and they did save us alot. I'm terrified that we'll get too many goals against and now be able to come back.

3. Staal, Callahan, and Dubinsky. These three players have already proved themselves as great players and they will just keep getting better.

4. The fourth liners (even though all the ones from last year are gone). They work, in my opinion, way harder then the top line. They bring the energy to our team and aren't afraid to do the dirty work. They dont score the goals, which is why casuals don't recognize them as being a big part of the team, but the life long fans do.

5. I believe the Rangers will place around 3rd, and I really hope they do. I want to see them while they have home ice advantage and see how they can play.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
hopefully i got my points across stronger verbally then here on the board. On here i get so upset and writing isn't my strong point but being on tv so much speaking comes easier. I am 100% a Hank supporter just think there are flaws in his game. I also feel we need a better back up
Every goalie and for that matter, every athlete has flaws in their game. I'm sure Henrik can improve his game. But I think you are a little over the top in expecting the perfect goalie.

Henrik has carried this team on his back the last 3 years. Give it a break. There is only so much a goalie can do to win games.

How many games did we lose by one goal where Henrik stood on his head, but the offense just did not step up?

Sure, he is prone to allowing the soft goal every now and then, but maybe he is trying to hard because he knows he has to be perfect.

Maybe Henrik has not played a whole season without slumping at one point, but when he does is when he becomes the best goalie in the world as that is the only thing separating him from being the best of the best.

I have trouble understanding anyone who has ANY gripe with Henrik after he stood on his head and will us to a close game 7 by himself.

Does Henrik have flaws? Sure. Who doesn't? But he is the absolute last player that any Rangers fan should complain about. Without him, there is no telling where this team would be.

Some people are so quick to complain instead of realizing how lucky they are to have such a great goalie on their favorite team.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Every goalie and for that matter, every athlete has flaws in their game. I'm sure Henrik can improve his game. But I think you are a little over the top in expecting the perfect goalie.

Henrik has carried this team on his back the last 3 years. Give it a break. There is only so much a goalie can do to win games.

How many games did we lose by one goal where Henrik stood on his head, but the offense just did not step up?

Sure, he is prone to allowing the soft goal every now and then, but maybe he is trying to hard because he knows he has to be perfect.

Maybe Henrik has not played a whole season without slumping at one point, but when he does is when he becomes the best goalie in the world as that is the only thing separating him from being the best of the best.

I have trouble understanding anyone who has ANY gripe with Henrik after he stood on his head and will us to a close game 7 by himself.

Does Henrik have flaws? Sure. Who doesn't? But he is the absolute last player that any Rangers fan should complain about. Without him, there is no telling where this team would be.

Some people are so quick to complain instead of realizing how lucky they are to have such a great goalie on their favorite team.
There's a difference between pointing out that Hank can elevate his game to a higher level and complaining that he has flaws in his game. I think many of us feel he has the ability to put together a more complete season. I'm not saying 98 shutouts...but simply an overall more consistent performance. It's a testament to how good we think he is that we think he can raise his game.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote