HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Droiun-Deslauriers

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 01:09 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

vCash: 500
Jeff Droiun-Deslauriers

I know i hav ebene criticle of him the last 2 years an di felt he was overrated, but it looks like Edmonton got a pretty good prospect in him.

I just finished watching 1 and 2 of the CapeBreton/Chicoutimi series and Jeff D-D stole the show. The guy i feel will be a better pro than a junior. He has the size, quickness and smarts to play in the NHL.

With the lack of goalie depth throughout the organization i can see him being your #1 down in the AHL next year and maybe if Conks or Jussi struggles he could be a call up.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Lowetide

Thanks for the info. I don't recall such a diverse set of observations of a Oilers prospect since Tom Poti.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Thanks for the info. I don't recall such a diverse set of observations of a Oilers prospect since Tom Poti.
Funny thing is, both ends of the spectrum have come from the same poster.

La-La-Prise was JDD's biggest critic on these boards this season.

Oh well, I guess it's encouraging that his opinion has changed.

Still, it's much too early to pencil JDD in a sure bet. He's still got a long ways to go before he will be considered as an option here in Edmonton.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:23 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

The thing with DD is that he was an overnight success, im warry of those types. He was picked late in the Q draft and played well right away at 17, and he was big, and everyone was talking about him. I figured he'd fizzle. Also i was much higher on Maxime Dagineult at the 2002 draft and was outraged when the Oilers took DD ahead of him.

DD has come a long way though, hes gotten better technically and hes been quicker. But he never plays well here in Halifax, so these last 2 games in CB were pretty much the first times ive seen him play up to potential and he was very hard to beat. He outplayed MA Fleury in both games.

That being said, there is no reason to think he wont be in the AHL next season.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:39 PM
streetballer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
He outplayed MA Fleury in both games.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:48 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballer03
LOL dont get too excited, it was just 2 games. And Fleury didnt play bad, he just wasnt his Fleury self.

Kind of like the way he played at the WJHC. Made saves, but wasnt himself.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:46 PM
O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
LOL dont get too excited, it was just 2 games. And Fleury didnt play bad, he just wasnt his Fleury self.

Kind of like the way he played at the WJHC. Made saves, but wasnt himself.
So are you going to every game this series? I have been very high on JDD since we drafted him, and I am glad that you are seeing some of the same things in him, that I do. Even though it has only been two games.

Thanks for the information.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:04 PM
outKast*

JDD is a back-up in the NHL. i hate saying it over and over and never seems to get old.

When you have guys like LeNevue, Harding, Ward, Daigenault all ahead of you in team Canada then there's something wrong. Those goalies that i just mentioned don't have the kind of upside to be #1 and Jeff is no better than any of them.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:11 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T.
So are you going to every game this series? I have been very high on JDD since we drafted him, and I am glad that you are seeing some of the same things in him, that I do. Even though it has only been two games.

Thanks for the information.
Chicoutimi is too far

But they show all Eagles games on TV here so ill get to see games 5 and 7 if necessary.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:13 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
JDD is a back-up in the NHL. i hate saying it over and over and never seems to get old.

When you have guys like LeNevue, Harding, Ward, Daigenault all ahead of you in team Canada then there's something wrong. Those goalies that i just mentioned don't have the kind of upside to be #1 and Jeff is no better than any of them.
Last time i checked all 4 of those guys are projected to be #1 goalies, and so is DD.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:15 PM
outKast*

i just checked and nope MA Fleury is a projected #1. so is LeClaire, Lethonen, Miller...but not those guys. It really foolish to projecting guys who aren't even in the NHl. look how higly touted Storr was and look what happened. Saying any of those guys are #1 is like saying Timofei Shiskanov is going to be a 40+ goal scorer. exactly is a huge hyperbole.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:21 PM
nineteen79

I think it's way to early to predict JDD's status at the NHL level but your entitled to your opnion.Personally I can see him eventually playing at the NHL level but he will have some growing pains adjusting to life as a pro and trying to perfect his craft in the minors,but he does have the raw tangibles that excite many Oiler fans including me

Old
04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen79
I think it's way to early to predict JDD's status at the NHL level but your entitled to your opnion.Personally I can see him eventually playing at the NHL level but he will have some growing pains adjusting to life as a pro and trying to perfect his craft in the minors,but he does have the raw tangibles that excite many Oiler fans including me
agreed

Old
04-04-2004, 09:18 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

The funny thing is, neither Ward nor Daigenault were ahead of JDD. LeNevue was a terrible decision, and that was quite obvious by anyone who watched him play.

Harding was the MVP of the Western league, so it's not like JDD was beat by one of those wooden donald duck goalies.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:20 PM
outKast*

Have you seen LeNevue's stats in Cornell? You can't just scoff at those numbers. It's not like anyone can just pull off his GAA and then call it a fluke. LeNevue is talented but also a backup.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
JDD was ranked number 1 goalie for NA in his draft year, that counts for something. JDD will be a good starter in this league thats for sure.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:31 PM
outKast*

I agree that if he reaches his expected potential he would be a preety decent goalie. Reality is that it's very hard to make it in the NHL, and i've seen him play a couple time and i just don't think he's quite a francise goaltender. It's very premature and i'm betting on him to prove me wrong but until then, i'll stick to it that JDD will be an awesome backup not a starter.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
JDD was ranked number 1 goalie for NA in his draft year, that counts for something. JDD will be a good starter in this league thats for sure.
The guy has alot of raw talent and has really eye-popping stats in the Q, which is a league not known for stingy defences. Once this guy gets the technical part of his game polished (which will come in the AHL & backup duty to an Oiler starter), he will be a starter in this league.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:34 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Have you seen LeNevue's stats in Cornell? You can't just scoff at those numbers. It's not like anyone can just pull off his GAA and then call it a fluke. LeNevue is talented but also a backup.
Yeah, I saw his numbers.

Have you seen Cornell play? They make the Minnesota wild look like the 1985 Edmonton Oilers.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:03 AM
O.T.

Quote:

Actually Ward was cut before JDD not last year but the year before when trying for Canada. And Daigenault was cut before him this year, I know its bad when you get cut on the last day. It's horrible to be the third best goalie in his age group in Canada two years in a row, especially in a country that is so horrible developing goalies!

Haha, give me a break that means nothing, and just because goalies are the same level now, that does'nt mean they have the same potential. Holy crap I'm glad your not a scout with reasoning like that!

Old
04-05-2004, 11:18 AM
kyle

Quote:
i've seen him play a couple time and i just don't think he's quite a francise goaltender. It's very premature and i'm betting on him to prove me wrong but until then, i'll stick to it that JDD will be an awesome backup not a starter.
When did you see him play? Against who?

I HAVE seen him play. He's got the size and the vision that are prerequisites to playing in this league. He also brings a lot more. He's biggest attribute is his side-to-side movement. I've yet to see a goalie move laterally as well as he does outside of the NHL. I haven't seen him play much (2 or 3 times) but I've been heartily impressed.

What exactly in his game did you see that merits such a subpar review from you? What fundamental flaw was prevolent?

Old
04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Dallas

From everything I've seen, JDD should be a starter in the NHL eventually. I think the one factor that will ensure JDD develops into a starting NHL goaltender is undoubtedly his size. I've watched him play a couple times, and he is just one of those goaltenders that seems huge in the net. Even when he's down in the butterfly position he's got the top corners covered. Then, consider that he's got all the other fundamentals, and I can't see why he shouldn't be starting for the Oil in about three years time.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T.
It's horrible to be the third best goalie in his age group in Canada two years in a row, especially in a country that is so horrible developing goalies!
I don't think it's necessarily the fact that he was the third best goalie at camp... it was more along the lines of him not having any international experience that prevented his going to this past WJ. He had to significantly outplay Harding to overcome that deficit and the coaches felt that it wasn't enough...and they were more comfortable with Josh in net as the backup.

Perhaps more than a little politics involved... but that's no different than any other year.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:37 AM
O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I don't think it's necessarily the fact that he was the third best goalie at camp... it was more along the lines of him not having any international experience that prevented his going to this past WJ. He had to significantly outplay Harding to overcome that deficit and the coaches felt that it wasn't enough...and they were more comfortable with Josh in net as the backup.

Perhaps more than a little politics involved... but that's no different than any other year.
I agree, although what I heard is that Harding had a better summer camp, well they played pretty even in the main camp. That's why I heard they took Harding over Deslauriers.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I have read opinions expressed before about politics playing a role in Harding's selection over Deslauriers. I feel this diminishes Harding's play and track record in earning the nod. Have a look at Harding's stats in the WHL which includes major personal awards. I have seen him play many times and excel in front of average Regina Pats teams. I also watched these two goalies (along with Ward and Fleury) play in the Nat's Summer Camp. Harding deserved to make this team.

I really like Deslauriers' potential and feel he will develop into a solid pro. But at this point in time the better player won the nod for the National Junior team.

Closed Thread