HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Derick Brassard Signs 4 Year Extension

Old
09-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Absolutely.

Look, I like Brass and I like Howson, but I can't shake the fact that half of the defenders of this deal would be KILLING it and facepalming if this were Glen Sather or Brian Burke.
That is a big ticket price for a guy with 1/2 year in the league of experience. Great player though; he'll probably justify the contract barring further injury troubles.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Such is the new NHL. I don't care for it much, but guys are going to get paid for potential. If you don't adhere to that philosophy, you're going to have a lot of problems keeping your team together in the future.

I love this deal. Of Brass, Filatov, and Voracek, Brassard will be the best IMHO, assuming he can stay healthy (which admittedly, is a more of an if than I'd care to admit)

And ****, if Jeff Finger is worth a 3.5 million cap hit, Brassard is fine at 3.1 mil.
Jeff Finger is not worth 3.5 million, he was given a horrible contract. Big difference between the two, and also changes the comparison quite a bit, doesn't it?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:23 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, are you saying he will only become an 80pt player if we hadn't signed him?

Why can he not be an 80pt player making $3.2?

Which is better.

80pt player making $5 or an 80pt player making $3.2
Yes, you got me, that's exactly what I'm saying.

So, are you saying he'll be an 80 pt player because he's making $3.2?

What's your point here? I haven't once said he CAN'T be an 80 point player at that dollar figure.

And if we're just throwing out hypotheticals who says Brassard wouldn't still take less than market after a full great season?
Truth is, we don't know that he wouldn't. We can play this game all day, but NONE of us know how Brassard is going to play out or, for that matter, what motivated to sign and whether or not those factors wouldn't be at play a year from now.

Let me break it down like this, understanding my point isn't a matter of rocket science:

Worst case scenario A: Brassard is great and it costs more to sign him.
Worst case scenario B: Brassard is injury prone and never lives up to the contract.

I'm more comfortable gambling with A than B.
To me, having a player not live up to his deal (Modin, Chimera, Foote, Fedorov) is far worse than having a player earn a fair market contract.

Again, I haven't once said this WON'T work. I think there is a decent chance that it will. However, I also don't think I'm being unrealistic when pointing out that the NHL track record on this player is a single small sample, which is where my hesitation comes into play.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Jeff Finger is not worth 3.5 million, he was given a horrible contract. Big difference between the two, and also changes the comparison quite a bit, doesn't it?
I wasn't using it as a comparison. Finger is a defensman, and Brassard is a forward. Apples and Oranges. Just using it to point out that there are much worse contracts out there than this one.

09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
That's the problem. We CAN'T do that. Mason, Voracek, and Filatov are still going to say "Brassard only took that deal before he started to really perform and prove that he's not injury prone afterall, so you should pay me MORE because I've never been injury prone!"

This deal is irrelevant to theirs because he's only proven that he's got talent, not durability.
There's some people who would argue that Steve Mason's also "injury prone" too, y'know.

(no, I'm not hoping for that to be confirmed)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
CBJCougar

Well I just LOVE this!! Welcome to Columbus, Brass, where good players WANT to be playing for the best fans I think the signing proves just that. He wants to be here long term.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Good deal and I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this because I have not read the thread yet but this contract should also be a benchmark contract for our other young forwards. If they don't outproduce Brassard then they most likely can't be expecting more per year than Brassard.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
A gutsy move by Howson but he’s batting around .850 (estimate based on total guessing) with player signings so I’m fine with it. Lets face it, we need Brass to help the team advance in the standings so why not go all in…

He could end up being a steal two years from now…

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:12 PM
CBJSlash

The worst case is that we overpaid by a million....

Best case is that we underpaid by 4 million...

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

This is about more than trying to lock up a good player for a reasonable price. It's about establishing a culture where players are appeciated (not dealt on a whim or thrown under the bus), believed in (instead of blamed) and where there is stability (as opposed to what we see in places like Tampa or Atlanta or the Columbus of past years). This creates an environment where more free agents will want to come and play despite not spending to the salary cap and not having broadway shows, beaches, mountains or the finest restaurants.

It also sends a message to the players, the fans and the rest of the league that we have a plan and we are going to follow it. It might very well be the wrong plan, but we believe in it and will see it through to whatever result it brings. It's always more comforting to know the guy driving the bus knows where he's going (whether he does or not).

Last edited by leesmith: 09-04-2009 at 07:25 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
CBJ1628

I am so happy this happened! Now I get to see Brass for at least 4 more years

CBJ1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:38 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Great extension for you guys.

Allthough totally different types of contracts, both the Luongo and Brassard deals carry some risk but offer much higher chance of reward and will look like bargains in a couple years.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Great extension for you guys.

Allthough totally different types of contracts, both the Luongo and Brassard deals carry some risk but offer much higher chance of reward and will look like bargains in a couple years.
As long as Luongo stays healthy, Vancouver has the foundation to build their team from the net out for a long, long time.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Did he get any kind of no-trade clause, or can RFAs not have NTCs?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Bigshot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I love this move. Totally unexpected, totally awesome, and a great start to my day.

Like Nordique said, it's pretty clear the intentions and expectations are for Brassard. Line him up next to Nash all year long and who knows what he'd expect/earn next summer. (Hello Manny Malhotra)

It's risky, but not the type of deal that will handcuff this team. If he gets injured again, it will be OK. (Hello Pascal Leclaire)
Agreed....this came out of nowhere, but it's such a great deal for the Jackets......now, if only Hitch will let Filatov do his thing this year.....

Bigshot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:01 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
mason may not want a bunch, why? i watched him in grimsby, my dad taught him, i watched his games religiously, I know him kinda, met him a few times, actually went to lunch with him. He's a really nice guy, he said that he'd very happily accept minimum pay just to play in the NHL, now since he's good he will not do that. But he won't ask for millions, like 8 per year. I can see 5ish million

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot51 View Post
Agreed....this came out of nowhere, but it's such a great deal for the Jackets......now, if only Hitch will let Filatov do his thing this year.....
I have nothing to back this up with other than intuition; I think Hitch will give Filatov every chance to succeed within broad limits. Hashmarks has made some excellent comments on Filatov recently and imo (based her recent remarks), Filatov's skills are well known and he will be given a lot of rope defensively-but he must at minimum earn his way into the lineup and think about defense. Hitch may surprise us with his handling of the kid-at least I hope so.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:35 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I agree with you on most of this. But still... 48 games.

Put it this way, all things being equal and the CBA notwithstanding; if this was a UFA with Brassard's injury history and stats, would you be okay with Howson signing him to this contract?

EDIT: I understand that the CBA precipitated this contract to some extent and it's smart in that regard, but still...
Well, he signed Pahlsson for just a bit less and he had had some issues lately and I am okay with that deal, so yeah. I think it is a risk worth taking.

I don't buy into the whole: he is injury prone thing either. Like someone pointed out, he had some injuries as a kid because he never trained--never had to. Since he became a pro and worked with Big Summer Brennan last year he has taken his training and fitness to a whole other level of professionalism. He is thicker now, but yeah...it could happen, just like it could happen to any of the more slight, skilled guys. Like I said, he had loose shoulders and they are fixed now. A broken jaw can happen to anyone.

Quote:

By the same token (and I think this is just as likely), what if he plays 26 games this year, injures his shoulder and doesn't play again?
The saying is: "injured players get injured", so we'll see. If he gets injured long term then he goes on long term IR and insurance pays him, not us. We don't wrangle with the cap anyway so it wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Good deal and I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this because I have not read the thread yet but this contract should also be a benchmark contract for our other young forwards. If they don't outproduce Brassard then they most likely can't be expecting more per year than Brassard.
It is all about fitting in the pieces, and this is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot51 View Post
There is no reason to think he won't, Hitch's track record with young players is terrific. It is the myth of how he deals with young guys that gets perpetuated on this board that is the problem.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
This is about more than trying to lock up a good player for a reasonable price. It's about establishing a culture where players are appeciated (not dealt on a whim or thrown under the bus), believed in (instead of blamed) and where there is stability (as opposed to what we see in places like Tampa or Atlanta or the Columbus of past years). This creates an environment where more free agents will want to come and play despite not spending to the salary cap and not having broadway shows, beaches, mountains or the finest restaurants.

It also sends a message to the players, the fans and the rest of the league that we have a plan and we are going to follow it. It might very well be the wrong plan, but we believe in it and will see it through to whatever result it brings. It's always more comforting to know the guy driving the bus knows where he's going (whether he does or not).
This

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Rimers stache

I don't think Howson would take this chance on him if he wasn't showing some great strides in workouts and training camps. I see, no need to worry!

In GMSH We Trust

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:19 AM
warlockmb

Great move this kid is our #1 center and at 3.1 mil is a steal. Yes it is a risk but signing Nash was a risk as well. He has a lot to prove and sure he will this season and for many more to come.

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Well said.

I think however, that the biggest risk is being passed over. If we don't sign Brassard and he preforms and makes five-million, he would've earned it, that much is true. However, that extra two million could mean sacrificing Voracek, Filiatov or Mason. I'd rather have Brassard not meet expectations and be able to sign those three, than have Brassard getting eighty points, getting five or six million a year, and having to Sacrifice two other players that would have contributed 50-60 each.

The risk of not signing him now is much more than him being paid just an extra two or three million. Not to mention, as leesmith said, that it creates a culture and example and a direction, into which the fans and players are buying.

The biggest thing that made me think Howson is doing something right, is when he announced that Nash came back and asked for another year and less money so there would be enough to sign the youth. With the examples of Nash and Brassard, we have more steps in the right direction, and if the players like that direction they are more likely to stay the course IMO.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:06 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Quite frankly, I like that Howson is being perceived as a risk taker or a gambler with this signing. People seem to see him as a guy who doesn't have the brass to pull off any big deals, but so far, he has shown a willingness to make moves that he deems helpful for the team.

What GM has ALL his moves work out all the time? This is a calculated risk and I agree with it.
It is a calculated risk, and I'm somewhat on board.
It almost makes me wonder if the picture of Howson we perceive as calculated and conservative isn't actually just symptomatic of money restraints.
Regardless, I've got faith in the man, and so far his judgment has been pretty sound.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:47 AM
GrimReeper

Pretty much same feeling as most people on here. Definate shock. Having DB locked up for 5 years and coming out as a RFA is fantastic. There is still some money to be earned by the kid, but I have good faith he'll do it. A good season this year (60ish pts) and I see Nash with a "C". Umberger and Brassard with the "A"s.

GrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:34 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Of all the "kids" Brassard is the most important forward.

1. Mason
2. Brassard
3. Filatov
4. Voracek

Great Deal Howson great deal

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote