HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN has Tampa ranked 27th for this year

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Tomas W

vCash: 500
They should have Toronto at no 27, but since it's a canadian team...

I think the Lightning will have a fair chance to battle for an 7-8th place. The bolts have a pretty strong line up now.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Washington Capitals

Hah, I see Tampa fighting for a playoff spot if everything goes well. Should be around 17-20 at worst.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Diskothek

Bruins fan here. TSN's ranking is a clear insult. If things go right for you guys, I could see a challenge for a playoff spot, or at least on the bubble.

Old
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
CSampson

Meh, people had us making giant leaps last season and we barely budged. TSN is probably just playing it safe.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:31 PM
txpd

Before you totally trash TSN, I'd wait to see if they make any significant move off of last season's final standings/power rankings.

They have done five teams so far. All of them were not contenders for a playoff spot. I expect that in the end this list will look a lot like the final power rankings for last season.

I have two questions. Where do TB fans see the Lightning ranked in the division and the conference. I saw the 6th or 7th in the east comment and wonder how that could happen. Thinking Washington or Carolina back up?

I see the bolts as improved, but have a hard time seeing them above 3rd in the east.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Before you totally trash TSN, I'd wait to see if they make any significant move off of last season's final standings/power rankings.

They have done five teams so far. All of them were not contenders for a playoff spot. I expect that in the end this list will look a lot like the final power rankings for last season.

I have two questions. Where do TB fans see the Lightning ranked in the division and the conference. I saw the 6th or 7th in the east comment and wonder how that could happen. Thinking Washington or Carolina back up?

I see the bolts as improved, but have a hard time seeing them above 3rd in the east.
I'm going to assume you meant 3rd in the SE.

I think we are capable of challenging Carolina if everything goes right for us this year. If everything goes sort of averagely, I'd expect us to be in the hunt for 8th.

Teams I believe we are better than

Islanders
Atlanta
Florida
Toronto
Ottawa

Teams I don't think are better than us

Montreal
Buffalo
Rangers

Teams that if everything went right we could end up in front of

New Jersey
Carolina

So Realistically I expect us to be in front of the first 5 teams I mentioned and then hope we are better than 2 of the second group of teams, bringing us to 8th.

Ways we've improved from last year.

-Lecavalier should be healthy
-Smith should be healthy
-Stamkos is much improved from how he started his career
-Tocchet will have training camp to prepare the team
-Tanguay is an improvement over Prospal
-Chemistry is less of an issue since the entire team isn't new
-Ranger and Meszaros should both be healthy, both of which missed almost the entire season
-Hedman should improve our top 4
-Ohlund is better than any D on our team last year
-Smaby is ready for full time
-Lashoff if he makes it gives us a ton of mobility
-We have a capable backup 'tender in Nitty

Ways we've gotten worse
-St. Louis is a year older?

Injuries are certain to happen, but it's hard to conceive they would hit us again as hard as last year. Talent of the team has definitely increased. The players fit Tocchet's style better than last year's conglomeration.

We have one of the best cores in the NHL, if the role players can be reliable at all we should be able to compete for a playoff spot.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:26 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

I wish you guys wouldn't use TSN as a base for how the rest of Canada thinks.

I think Tampa could make the playoffs if the young ones mesh with the old core.

TSN will always talk about Toronto, and thats just the way it is.

One time when they had a double header, (Oilers (i think) vs Toronto, Flames vs Canucks). There was some mixup in the shootout and the zamboni came out about ten times to clean the ice.

The showed that instead of the first half of the first period.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
yeah we forgot that place was reserved for the leafs.
HAHA. That was funny.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Ur Team is Jealous

TSN is probably trying to play it safe, but boy are they off. I see the Lightning in the 6-9 range in the east.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
I wish you guys wouldn't use TSN as a base for how the rest of Canada thinks.

I think Tampa could make the playoffs if the young ones mesh with the old core.

TSN will always talk about Toronto, and thats just the way it is.

One time when they had a double header, (Oilers (i think) vs Toronto, Flames vs Canucks). There was some mixup in the shootout and the zamboni came out about ten times to clean the ice.

The showed that instead of the first half of the first period.
Nah, we know better to generalize that its all of Canada rather than TSN.

TSN and RDS are strange, strange outlets.

Old
09-05-2009, 07:34 PM
txpd

I think a nice step forward would be a good expectation. Get off the bottom and stay in the game until the Olympic break. Walk before you run, so to speak.

Old
09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I think a nice step forward would be a good expectation. Get off the bottom and stay in the game until the Olympic break. Walk before you run, so to speak.
Of course. Most *think* we'll contend for a playoff spot, not necessarily think we'll get one. We've been so decimated by injuries and most likely poor conditioning the last two years.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Of course. Most *think* we'll contend for a playoff spot, not necessarily think we'll get one. We've been so decimated by injuries and most likely poor conditioning the last two years.
Two questions.

1. Florida contended for a playoff spot last season. Have they backed up and out of contention?

2. How decimated by injuries where they? Washington had only 9 players that played at least 70 games. Of those players not playing 70 games were 3 of the team's top 6 scorers and both of the team's top minute playing defensemen. Conversely Tampa Bay had 8 players play at least 70 games which included none of the Bolts top 5 scorers. That doesnt include Recchi and Eminger would were healthy their entire run with the team.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Two questions.

1. Florida contended for a playoff spot last season. Have they backed up and out of contention?

2. How decimated by injuries where they? Washington had only 9 players that played at least 70 games. Of those players not playing 70 games were 3 of the team's top 6 scorers and both of the team's top minute playing defensemen. Conversely Tampa Bay had 8 players play at least 70 games which included none of the Bolts top 5 scorers. That doesnt include Recchi and Eminger would were healthy their entire run with the team.
we also had 22 different D-men last season, was starting our third goalie half way in. And had a joke of a training camp that 300 pound coach potato that smokes three packs a day could of passed with flying colors. Those things don't exactly set you up to compete. We should have a much better team this season.

Old
09-05-2009, 11:01 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Two questions.

Florida lost their best player and really gained nothing, they barely tied for last place, I just don't see them as a serious threat. Likely be like Buffalo has been the last couple years, although I think losing Bouwmeester is a big step back.

As another guy stated, our D was brutal last season, our top 2 guys were either playing injured or out of the lineup for most of the season.

There were times where Cory Murphy and then Matt Lashoff were our best D-men. Ohlund is better than any D that was in our system, Hedman gives us more depth, and Meszaros and Ranger should both be healthy.

We also have atleast 4 guys that are capable on the bottom pair, last year we had 2 or 3 guys that were capable bottom pair guys, unfortunately they were getting top pair time.

Lecavalier was playing for most of the season, he was definitely not healthy at all though, his shoulder was bothering him from the beginning, the surgery he had at the end of last season should have fixed it.

Smith carried our poor team early on, when he went down there was no one to bail out our poor D, he will be back ready to go.

Our bottom 6 has a ton more depth this year as well. Tanguay is a huge upgrade over Prospal as well, in both ends of the ice.

As far as injuries go I suppose the problem is they hit hardest where we had the least depth on D and in net.

Old
09-06-2009, 01:40 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidz View Post
Hey now... it's TSN they don't think outside of Ontario.
true. worthless. much better than 27, i think theyll end up. into the playoffs to. Why 27? ...i will read tsn article now before going futher though.

Old
09-06-2009, 02:42 AM
IslesDude

I don't see why people get so bent out of shape over predictions. Though to be fair, I haven't seen any major sports source predict playoffs for Tampa. Most people are saying Toronto or Atlanta over TB.

Me? I have no idea. I think we'll see every eastern team EXCEPT for the Isles in the playoff race this year. Even then the Isles will show some fighting spirit. Tampa is not miles ahead of teams like Florida, Atlanta, Ottawa, Leafs. It's just way too close to call imo.

- The Sens just had a bad year. They will be back this season.
- The Leafs GREATLY improved their defense. If the monster works out they are a contender for the playoffs.
- Atlanta is an up and coming team. Kubina and Antropov are solid additions. If Lehtonen stays healthy they are in the mix.
- Florida isn't bad at all. It's ridiculous how people act like they will be the worst team in the league JUST because they lost Bouwmeester. I see them surprising a lot of folks.

I just don't understand people saying "THIS IS SUCH AN INSULT!!! WE WILL DEFINITELY MAKE IT."

Tampa could easily end up in 11-14 or 6-10. Same with any of the other teams that I mentioned. That is how close it will be. All i'm sure of is that we're getting Taylor Hall on Long Island

Last edited by IslesDude: 09-06-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old
09-06-2009, 04:29 AM
hao chi

Meh, TSN is extremely biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
Tampa could easily end up in 11-14 or 6-10. Same with any of the other teams that I mentioned. That is how close it will be. All i'm sure of is that we're getting Taylor Hall on Long Island
I'm not too familiar with the Isles prospects, but don't you dudes need some defensemen?

Old
09-06-2009, 04:57 AM
IslesDude

Hall is the best prospect. Therefore I choose him.

Old
09-06-2009, 07:46 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
I just don't understand people saying "THIS IS SUCH AN INSULT!!! WE WILL DEFINITELY MAKE IT."

And 6-12, possibly fighting for a playoff spot is where most of the Lightning fans are predicting we'll end up. The last two years have taught us to tone down our expectations, a LOT.

What is just the tiniest bit insulting is that TSN didn't actually seem to put any effort into picking a spot, just popped the Lightning into the power rankings spot from last year, as was mentioned earlier. Not a big deal though, the best thing about TSN is reading the comments section. Very amusing stuff.

Old
09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
So what you are saying is that we could finish anywhere from 6-14? Way to go out on a limb.

As for a couple of your other comments, it has been Florida's year since Nixon was in office, until they actually pull through and make the playoffs, I wont trust or believe they can put together a run. Also, say what you will about our ownership, but at least the effort has been there to improve the team. Florida does not appear to be willing to spend one single dime and that will ultimately be their downfall.

I honestly believe that Atlanta's additions are being completly overrated by alot of people around here. Kubina is going to want to play in Atlanta like I want a root canal. He *****ed about Tampa not being a hockey town? Well, have fun with that. If you look at that team, their biggest question mark in my opinion is in goal, something that they seem to be unwilling to address. And dont overlook the freight train that is Kovalchuks contract status. We all saw first hand what the trade rumors did to Vinny last year.

Old
09-06-2009, 01:05 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
So what you are saying is that we could finish anywhere from 6-14? Way to go out on a limb.

As for a couple of your other comments, it has been Florida's year since Nixon was in office, until they actually pull through and make the playoffs, I wont trust or believe they can put together a run. Also, say what you will about our ownership, but at least the effort has been there to improve the team. Florida does not appear to be willing to spend one single dime and that will ultimately be their downfall.

I honestly believe that Atlanta's additions are being completly overrated by alot of people around here. Kubina is going to want to play in Atlanta like I want a root canal. He *****ed about Tampa not being a hockey town? Well, have fun with that. If you look at that team, their biggest question mark in my opinion is in goal, something that they seem to be unwilling to address. And dont overlook the freight train that is Kovalchuks contract status. We all saw first hand what the trade rumors did to Vinny last year.
First off, Lehtonen is a much better goalie than he is given credit for, there has never been any sort of D in front of him, and injuries have been a bit of an issue, but talent wise he is definitely a starter in this league, and they have a couple of young kids with the talent to also become starters.

Kovalchuk also is the one deciding whether he stays or goes, so it should be less distracting than wondering if your going to be sent out the way Lecavalier will be.

That being said, I don't think this is the year for Atlanta. They have a lot of talent, but it is all very young and might not be ready for the roles Atlanta will be giving them.

If I was Atlanta and couldn't get Kovalchuk signed before the season started, I would trade him for the best package available, and hope for Taylor Hall.

Old
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

For Atlanta, talent wise they are very good and very dangerous. But to me, it also seems like a train that could derail itself.

Old
09-06-2009, 03:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You will have an awesome head coach to start the season, instead of the biggest moron/worst hiring in recent NHL history. Stamkos is a year older. Hedman has arrived. Ohlund, while quickly declining, is still an upgrade in overall depth. Injuries aside, Tanguay should be a big step up on Prospal. Speaking of injuries, hopefully you'll have a healthy goaltender. It's a dumb ranking.

Atlanta's ranking isn't any better. They've lost nobody but added Antropov and Kubina, with young stars Little and Bogosian having more experience under their belts. They'll be a better team.

Phoenix finishing dead last is possible. However, I think so many things will have to go wrong for that to happen. Just as many things as it would take to go right for them to make the playoffs. For now, we appear to be stuck with Wayne Gretzky has head coach. That's a bummer. The ownership drama will likely drag on and on. However, guys like Mueller, Hanzal, Boedker, Turris, Tikhonov, and Yandle are all a year older, and all now have some experience to work with. Also, post-deadline, the team looked totally new and refreshed. Gone were the cancerous Jokinen and Carcillo, in was the hustle and hard work of guys like Lombardi(who scored at a better rate than Olli), Upshall(eight goals in nineteen games), and Prucha. The team was fifth in the west before the all-star break, last year. They collapsed do to youth, lack of experience, and a lousy coaching staff.

Old
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I don't see why people get so bent out of shape over predictions. Though to be fair, I haven't seen any major sports source predict playoffs for Tampa. Most people are saying Toronto or Atlanta over TB.

Me? I have no idea. I think we'll see every eastern team EXCEPT for the Isles in the playoff race this year. Even then the Isles will show some fighting spirit. Tampa is not miles ahead of teams like Florida, Atlanta, Ottawa, Leafs. It's just way too close to call imo.

- The Sens just had a bad year. They will be back this season.
- The Leafs GREATLY improved their defense. If the monster works out they are a contender for the playoffs.
- Atlanta is an up and coming team. Kubina and Antropov are solid additions. If Lehtonen stays healthy they are in the mix.
- Florida isn't bad at all. It's ridiculous how people act like they will be the worst team in the league JUST because they lost Bouwmeester. I see them surprising a lot of folks.

The argument for Florida is regression.

Vokoun struggled at points last season and they had a 1B guy in Anderson that carried the team for a bit. They don't really have that luxury anymore. Also, the majority of the point scoring came from the back end last year, and with Bouwmeester gone, it hurts.

They had two defensemen at 15 goals last year and a ton of assists from the backend. Now they lost one of those 15 goal guys, and lost 42 points.

David Booth is one hell of a hockey player, though.

Closed Thread