HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Schremp to 1 year, 2 way deal ($715K NHL, $75K AHL)

Old
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Mcjlockhart89

vCash: 50
Here's hoping Robbie can make the best of the new coaching situation. I've always been pulling for him as he has such immense talent, it's unfortunate things haven't clicked for him yet.

Mcjlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
Here's hoping Robbie can make the best of the new coaching situation. I've always been pulling for him as he has such immense talent, it's unfortunate things haven't clicked for him yet.
See, this is what I dont get. Ovechkin is an immense talent. Hes big, strong as an ox,is an unbelievable skater, has phenomenal puck skills & real smart.
In my world skating is an integral part of being a talent. Robbie doesnt have it. In fact, the only thing he has thats "great" is puck skills.
Hes not anywhere close to being an immense talent.

Last edited by Sammy*: 09-04-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: kinda amusing that I forgot to say Ovechkin "is an unbelievable skater"
Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
See, this is what I dont get. Ovechkin is an immense talent. Hes big, strong as an ox, has phenomenal puck skills & real smart.
In my workld skating is an integral part of being a talent. Robbie doesnt have it. In fact, the only thing he has thats "great" is puck skills.
Hes not anywhere close to being an immense talent.
Have to agree...although I do want to see what Schremp does when given a real opportunity.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
tretiak09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Have to agree...although I do want to see what Schremp does when given a real opportunity.
He's had lots of real opportunities, and squanders them when he shows up out of shape to camp and plays "Rob Schremp hockey".

Guy's a loser.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretiak09 View Post
He's had lots of real opportunities, and squanders them when he shows up out of shape to camp and plays "Rob Schremp hockey".

Guy's a loser.
No doubt he's at the end of his rope now. We'll see if he can make believers out of Quinn and Co.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Eytinge

I don't expect much, if he doesn't do much at training camp this is his last year with the Oilers.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
tru_gq

I'm happy about this.. You can never have enough skilled forwards in the system. I wish him well and hope he sticks this training camp with the big club

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
boopronger

should have gotten a 3rd round pick for him...

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:23 PM
deanmoriarty

Good deal. So if he doesn't make the cut out of camp, what teams might take a shot at picking him up off waivers?

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

Guy's a loser.
Hey! What?

09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
tretiak09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
Good deal. So if he doesn't make the cut out of camp, what teams might take a shot at picking him up off waivers?
Can't see any team taking him. Always a plethora of non/fringe/wannabe NHL players on waivers after camp ends.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Hey! What?
Sorry Guy. It's about time you knew. It's just too bad you had to find out online like this.

Mind you, some girls like the nerdy, hockey-loving, 'face for radio' types.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
He needs to make a difference on a 2nd unit PP and not be horrid 5 on 5. I think he will make the cut. You still need depth and he's at worst a good filler player if and when an offensive guy goes down. My problem is that we dropped Brodziak and kept Pouliot. Pouliot, Jacques, Schremp, Brule, Nilsson...way too many marginal players. I would trade 4 of these guys for 2 established, reasonably priced veteran bottom 6 guys.
I hope I'm wrong, but I just have this feeling that the Oilers are doomed this season. It seems to me as though they have even more holes in the roster this season than the past 3 and we all know how they've turned out. Poor management much?

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Can't see any team taking him. Always a plethora of non/fringe/wannabe NHL players on waivers after camp ends.
Well, I know you despise the Oilers so I'm not surprised by you saying this, but I think a rebuilding team with cap space might take a shot at him since he is very skilled and on this 1-year deal. I just like the thought that if Rob doesn't make the team out of camp this year he is done with the Oilers for good.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
RKD

I'm not one to say that Schremp hasn't been given a totally fair opportunity, but he'll definitely get one during this training camp/pre-season. Frankly, it made absolutely no sense to send him down the minors last year after the first few pre-season games, while guys like Carl Corazzini got to stick around and play a few more games for the Oilers. That won't happen this time.

09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Smart contract for Schremp. I have been saying if he wants to stick with the Oil or get picked up on waivers. His best bet is to keep the NHL portion of his salary low. I actually suggested 700k would be a good number.

If he outperforms someone like Nilsson say. Then you have the option to send down Nilsson or whomever and save a nice chunk of cap space in the process.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Something to keep in mind when talking about the likliehood of him being claimed. Doesn't the team claiming him have to keep him on the NHL roster or re-waive him to send him to their minor team?

The Oilers would then have first pick as the team losing the player (Schremp) in the first place.

Or does that only apply to players waived on one-way contracts?

I really can't see any team that gung-ho on making sure Schremp is on an NHL roster.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Something to keep in mind when talking about the likliehood of him being claimed. Doesn't the team claiming him have to keep him on the NHL roster or re-waive him to send him to their minor team?

The Oilers would then have first pick as the team losing the player (Schremp) in the first place.

I really can't see any team that gung-ho on making sure Schremp is on an NHL roster.
That's exactly how it works. The Oilers themselves picked 2 players off waivers last year. The first was MacIntyre, whom the Panthers could've gotten back if the Oilers hadn't kept him on the roster all year. The other was Boulerice, whom the Oilers waived and was then picked up by his former team (the Avs).

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I don't see Schremp outperforming Nilsson, but he was smart to sign for less than the 800K Brule would get in the NHL. Though both could miss out in favor of a guy like Potulny.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Schremp > Most of the Oilers forwards.

Yah. Argue me. Please.

Ovechking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

This is a myth, I believe. We've been told by the board CBA experts that the team that lost the player doesn't get first crack at him if he's put back on waivers.

That said, I believe Schremp would get picked up.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Hunt4Oil

Can't wait to see what happens this year with Schremp. It's amazing how split the opinions are on him. Half are pulling for him half are waiting to say I told you so. This is truly his last shot at being an Oiler imo. Hopefully the summer with gagner will pay off for him.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Cam98

i hope he makes the roster, hes been training hard and im sure hes going to have a awesome cap and show the new coaches what he has.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
This is a myth, I believe. We've been told by the board CBA experts that the team that lost the player doesn't get first crack at him if he's put back on waivers.

That said, I believe Schremp would get picked up.
That part could have been the old CBa but I am sure that to be picked up he has to be placed on an NHL roster and I am not as confident that another team would pick him up.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:

Guy's a loser.
what do you call Penner?
Lard Ass Hockey?
dude gets top line minutes and puts up numbers like hes in the AHL. who else do you want to bash outside of Hemsky and Souray not sucking last year? Tom "giveaway" Gilbert cause he put up assists?

this team isnt sinking or swimming because of this signing.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote