HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Schremp to 1 year, 2 way deal ($715K NHL, $75K AHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
  #101
Real_Estate-Agent
Registered User
 
Real_Estate-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Interesting Dobber thought...

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...id=24:rambling

Oilers beat writer Jim Matheson is speculating that if Rob Schremp fails to make the team and is put on waivers with the intent of sending him to the minors, the Islanders will claim him.

There couldn't possibly be a better situation for Schremp then on Long Island. His skill set requires John Tavares on his line, and then what we would have is a "Rob Brown" kind of situation. Brown, if you recall, was a 100-point player in the late 80s. Hell, he had 115 points and he played just 68 games. That's a pure one-dimensional player playing with Mario Lemieux.

Once he was off the Lemieux line, he couldn't stick int the NHL for the life of him. From a 100+ point player to fringe NHLer, literally within two years. That's the fence that Schremp is rocking back and forth over. A move to the Island could be very beneficial.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
  #102
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
If the Oilers do not need him, he may be snapped up on waivers - thereby getting his big payday
If Schremp does get snapped up after the Oilers pass on him, then it will only be briefly I am willing to bet. I'm certain that if he doesn't play for the Oilers, he won't play more than 15 games in the NHL this season. And if he does play for the Oilers it'll be a huge surprise.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
  #103
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
If Schremp does get snapped up after the Oilers pass on him, then it will only be briefly I am willing to bet. I'm certain that if he doesn't play for the Oilers, he won't play more than 15 games in the NHL this season. And if he does play for the Oilers it'll be a huge surprise.
If he's claimed by a team like the Isles, I'd take that bet.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:14 AM
  #104
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
If Schremp can't crack the Oilers how does he crack any other NHL roster? The Oilers have been desperate for top six talent and haven't been able to find a roster spot for Robbie but the Islanders and Flyers would? Matheson isn't thinking clearly. Schremp has shown he is incapable of playing at the NHL level. Last season he barely looked like he was capable of playing at the AHL level. He's learned nothing about what it takes to be a professional and contribute to a winning team. He's still the same selfish player he was in junior and focuses on himself more than what the team needs. Who would want a player like that on their roster?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
  #105
hockeydad15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Selfish?

Schremp has always been a very unselfish player, his assaists out number his goals in every season of every level of play! read his stats

hockeydad15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
  #106
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
If Schremp can't crack the Oilers how does he crack any other NHL roster? The Oilers have been desperate for top six talent and haven't been able to find a roster spot for Robbie but the Islanders and Flyers would? Matheson isn't thinking clearly. Schremp has shown he is incapable of playing at the NHL level. Last season he barely looked like he was capable of playing at the AHL level. He's learned nothing about what it takes to be a professional and contribute to a winning team. He's still the same selfish player he was in junior and focuses on himself more than what the team needs. Who would want a player like that on their roster?
I'm not a huge Schremp fan, but comments like this really confuse me and don't seem to be in line with most of the interviews and stuff I have heard from and about him.

Incapable of playing at the NHL level? Tough to say. Perhaps you are right.

But the comments about being selfish and focusing on himself are not things I have heard from his coaches or the tone I hear from him

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
  #107
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad15 View Post
Schremp has always been a very unselfish player, his assaists out number his goals in every season of every level of play! read his stats
Stats are not indicative of selfish play. Player behaviors are indicative of selfish play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I'm not a huge Schremp fan, but comments like this really confuse me and don't seem to be in line with most of the interviews and stuff I have heard from and about him.

Incapable of playing at the NHL level? Tough to say. Perhaps you are right.

But the comments about being selfish and focusing on himself are not things I have heard from his coaches or the tone I hear from him
Read the interview. "Robbie Schremp hockey"? That says how impressed he is with himself and how badly he believes he is more important that his team or team success. When a player thinks his style of play is not in need of improvement or refinement it tells you just what a selfish young punk he is. Schremp has been that way his whole life. He's been able to get by on his offensive gifts against inferior players and leagues, but now that you have to be a two way player Schremp doesn't look quite as good, quite as interested, or quite as capable, and his attitude is such that he doesn't care. He'll take his act elsewhere and hope Robbie Schremp hockey is enough to impress. Good luck in Europe, Robbie.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:55 AM
  #108
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
You're entitled to your opinion. I don't share it. My opinion is that you're reading into something an attitude that isn't there. You disagree with me. Fair enough.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:00 AM
  #109
HuMz
Registered User
 
HuMz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Stats are not indicative of selfish play. Player behaviors are indicative of selfish play.



Read the interview. "Robbie Schremp hockey"? That says how impressed he is with himself and how badly he believes he is more important that his team or team success. When a player thinks his style of play is not in need of improvement or refinement it tells you just what a selfish young punk he is. Schremp has been that way his whole life. He's been able to get by on his offensive gifts against inferior players and leagues, but now that you have to be a two way player Schremp doesn't look quite as good, quite as interested, or quite as capable, and his attitude is such that he doesn't care. He'll take his act elsewhere and hope Robbie Schremp hockey is enough to impress. Good luck in Europe, Robbie.
So given the fact Schremp has been a pass first player since he turned pro, how does that reflect his selfish behaviour? Not too mention all indications and quotes point to him being a great teammate.

And who says his Rob Schremp hockey is more important then the team? It sounds to me like hes trying to get his game back to where he had the most success, and thats scoring goals and being dynamic offensively.

The guy has been taught and learned alot on the defensive side of things, maybe its time he concentrates on doing what he does best.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:04 AM
  #110
tretiak09*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
So given the fact Schremp has been a pass first player since he turned pro, how does that reflect his selfish behaviour? Not too mention all indications and quotes point to him being a great teammate.
Can't speak to the past too much, but referring to the game you're going to play as "Rob Schremp Hockey" certainly lends itself to the selfish tag.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
  #111
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tretiak09 View Post
Can't speak to the past too much, but referring to the game you're going to play as "Rob Schremp Hockey" certainly lends itself to the selfish tag.
There's two ways to read that comment though. One is the obvious self-centered me-ism. It could be that the Gagners or someone took him aside and said to him, you know what Rob, just train hard, get in shape and play within your boundries without trying to re-invent your whole game and let the cards fall where they may. It's possible he miscontrued those comments to mean "Rob Schremp hockey". Maybe this is the attitude he needs to perform well, but it certainly goes against the grain.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
  #112
Antidote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
Just reread the interview. Most players in that sort of interview would toss out hockey cliche 37B "if I want to make the team, I've just got to go out there and play my game, yunno". "Playing my game" is a motivational crutch and all you can say is "if it works for you, go for it".

Schremp, of course, is no ordinary interview and being as candid as he is, his comments usually reinforce the preconceived views of the boom and bust fans. Really, if our captain said he's really looking forward to playing Ethan Moreau hockey this year, it would draw dozens of comments, not the hundreds Schremp attracts every time he opens his mouth.

If it works for him, well, way to go Rob - it's about time. If it doesn't, good luck wherever he goes.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
  #113
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
Just reread the interview. Most players in that sort of interview would toss out hockey cliche 37B "if I want to make the team, I've just got to go out there and play my game, yunno". "Playing my game" is a motivational crutch and all you can say is "if it works for you, go for it".

Schremp, of course, is no ordinary interview and being as candid as he is, his comments usually reinforce the preconceived views of the boom and bust fans. Really, if our captain said he's really looking forward to playing Ethan Moreau hockey this year, it would draw dozens of comments, not the hundreds Schremp attracts every time he opens his mouth.

If it works for him, well, way to go Rob - it's about time. If it doesn't, good luck wherever he goes.
Preconceived?

His exact comment was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schremp
"I want to be able to play my game. You can take instruction on how to learn play-systems and traps, but I just hope that my game can stay intact . . . (and I play) the kind of hockey I played with the Knights."
I mean, I suppose there are different ways to take this comment, but it certainly doesn't look good.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
  #114
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Preconceived?

His exact comment was



I mean, I suppose there are different ways to take this comment, but it certainly doesn't look good.
It could just mean that he's looking to be a sniper again and look to create offense with great confidence in his game. I don't anticipate him going 1 on 5 every shift or anything. IMO he could stand to gain a lot if he looks for his shot more. It can be taken a number of ways though for sure.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
  #115
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Have to say that some other team that is rebuilding will probably pick Schremp up off waivers. What do they have to lose? He is cheap and may just need a new scenario.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
  #116
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Have to say that some other team that is rebuilding will probably pick Schremp up off waivers. What do they have to lose? He is cheap and may just need a new scenario.
Agreed, if he can right the ship he'd be a waiver steal.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
  #117
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, if he can right the ship he'd be a waiver steal.
I'm hoping that Schremp shows up to camp and looks ready to play but that the Oilers jsut don't ahve room for him. Then hopefully some team will at least be willing to part ways with a 2nd rounder for him because they know the Islanders are going to pick him up if he goes on waivers.

This would be the best case scenario if we don't keep him on the team.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
  #118
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm hoping that Schremp shows up to camp and looks ready to play but that the Oilers jsut don't ahve room for him. Then hopefully some team will at least be willing to part ways with a 2nd rounder for him because they know the Islanders are going to pick him up if he goes on waivers.

This would be the best case scenario if we don't keep him on the team.
Agreed, I'd sooner we get something for him than nothing if he is moved.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
  #119
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,888
vCash: 500
Any chance at all that he's moved before camp? I'd love to see the Coyotes try to make a deal for him, but I'm sure the main thing would be to see if he can't develop some chemistry with somebody, so after camp kind of defeats the purpose.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:22 PM
  #120
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Any chance at all that he's moved before camp? I'd love to see the Coyotes try to make a deal for him, but I'm sure the main thing would be to see if he can't develop some chemistry with somebody, so after camp kind of defeats the purpose.
I'm guessing the Oilers are pretty sure he's waiver bait.

If Phoenix wanted him, they could probably throw AHL talent at the Oilers and get traction.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:10 PM
  #121
Hunt4Oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London On
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Now that we signed Comrie, I hate to say it but unless Rob absolutely lights it up at camp and really impresses the coaching staff....he's on waivers. I've been one of the hopeful Schremp supporters but I do think he may be done here. I hope he gets picked up by the Isles and gets a chance.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
  #122
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
Now that we signed Comrie, I hate to say it but unless Rob absolutely lights it up at camp and really impresses the coaching staff....he's on waivers. I've been one of the hopeful Schremp supporters but I do think he may be done here. I hope he gets picked up by the Isles and gets a chance.
I totally agree.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.