HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Marketing/promotional idea... if the team stays

Old
09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
LT

vCash: 500
Don't you have 50/50 tickets at the games? They cost a buck or two bucks and you split the pot. I don't see that really attracting new fans though. The 50/50 draw was always something you bought but can't say it brings people to the game.

I think their biggest challenge is getting a star player to attract people and secondly to find a way to make people comfortable getting out to the arena.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah, a couple of uber talented, brash and cocky Americans like Tkachuk and Roenick were a blessing a decade too soon.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, a couple of uber talented, brash and cocky Americans like Tkachuk and Roenick were a blessing a decade too soon.
So true.

Who is our most marketable personality on the Coyotes now? We don't have a Ballard anymore. Every time I'm at a party, and by some miracle the coyotes came up. Girls would always say they were Ballard fans, but they didn't know anybody else really. From what I've seen of Summers he could be along those lines somewhat. As a hockey player Summers reminds me a ton of Ballard but more controlled and not as reckless as Ballard can be. Smart, great skater, seems like a real leader type. I'm excited to see him.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:56 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Switching gears a bit...how about create a "student section" at the game. Then offer some sort of park and ride to the game from ASU. It gets younger people to the game, allows them to drink and not drive and could provide some fun and raucous atmosphere at the games.
That'd be something for the Booster Club to sponsor, but that's a great idea.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Switching gears a bit...how about create a "student section" at the game. Then offer some sort of park and ride to the game from ASU. It gets younger people to the game, allows them to drink and not drive and could provide some fun and raucous atmosphere at the games.
Good Idea! Let's also include NAU and UA students as well.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing more regular season games between UA and ASU at Jobing.com arena.

Its been done before back in early 2004 where those who brought a ticket to the ACHA game also got a ticket to see the Coyotes vs Dallas game that evening.
Most of the people who made the trip to see that game came from Tucson.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:34 PM

I don't think it would do much to generate interest in the team at all. Would you spend $40 if you had to sit through a 3 hour seminar and had a 1/17000 chance to win $2500?

If the team wants to generate interest winning is the biggest factor and then they need to work on making the sport more accessible in this climate. Either strategy would work long term, there is no quick answer, even if they won the Stanley Cup next season, if they came in last place the next season no one would go again until they started to win. Winning consistently in the only way to get butts in seats when you have so many other ways to spend your free time.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
I don't think it would do much to generate interest in the team at all. Would you spend $40 if you had to sit through a 3 hour seminar and had a 1/17000 chance to win $2500?
If you're likening a Coyotes game to a 3-hour seminar, then we might as well just move the team now and get it over with.

People buy Diamondbacks tickets because one of them might have a one in some ungodly number chance to win a couple thousand dollars if a player hits a home run in a certain inning. This is just a development of that theme with FAR better odds.

Quote:
If the team wants to generate interest winning is the biggest factor and then they need to work on making the sport more accessible in this climate. Either strategy would work long term, there is no quick answer, even if they won the Stanley Cup next season, if they came in last place the next season no one would go again until they started to win. Winning consistently in the only way to get butts in seats when you have so many other ways to spend your free time.
That's true - BUT there needs to be some effective marketing to support the team. That marketing helps people discover the game by showing up to one. You have to be able to get butts in the seats even if the team isn't in the midst of a playoff hunt.

If winning is the ONLY way we'll ever get butts in the seats, then this market really is destined to fail.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:14 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
If winning is the ONLY way we'll ever get butts in the seats, then this market really is destined to fail.
Well I guess that would depend on your perspective on how a fan base is built. I don't think marketing works on die hard fans or casual fans. The Coyotes for the most part only have those two groups right now.

There is a sought after third group however, which is in-between casual and die hard. That group is built after sustained success. In that group you might have your homers, your hockey fans who are not fans of a team, and transplant fans AKA "second teamers". To get that third group to the game you need success before marketing would work on a significant scale. I actually do not consider myself a die hard, but more belonging to the homer part of the third group. The reason? I'm not a STH (though I could afford to upgrade from my partial plan) and if NHL hockey left the valley I wouldn't care at all about the NHL.

The goal of marketing would be to get someone like myself to upgrade from partial to full. Or the casual fan who goes to one or two games to a partial plan. The non fan will ONLY come because of winning so they don't count.

You can't get much traction from a marketing campaign without success over a decent period of time. After the success, even in a down period for the team, marketing could work; for a while at least. Then of course if the team does not turn around after a while they end up like the Pirates in the MLB. Teams with tradition can still have awful attendance. I don't think marketing makes one bit of difference for the Pirates because they don't have a middle tier of fan anymore, and neither do the Coyotes. Create a middle tier of fan, and then go nuts with the marketing ideas.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
better marketing to Flagstaff, prescott, Yuma and Tucson. Up here in Flagstaff, where hockey is decently popular with the college team and various high school teams, the Coyotes might as well not even exist. I never see anyone else with Coyotes hats or shirts or jerseys or other paraphernalia. Hell, there aren't even any stores that sell coyotes jerseys or shirts in Flagstaff.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think it's pretty common knowledge at this point that winning is what is really needed but the $100,000 budget that was proposed to start this thread isn't going to bring in some stud FA. No one here is thinking a few marketing gimmicks is going to pack Glendale arena, the point is to do SOMETHING. So might as well post some ideas, heck any ideas other than the obvious "we need to win" which is essentially out of the control of anyone in the Coyotes organization at this point.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:39 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
I think it's pretty common knowledge at this point that winning is what is really needed but the $100,000 budget that was proposed to start this thread isn't going to bring in some stud FA. No one here is thinking a few marketing gimmicks is going to pack Glendale arena, the point is to do SOMETHING. So might as well post some ideas, heck any ideas other than the obvious "we need to win" which is essentially out of the control of anyone in the Coyotes organization at this point.
I think my point is what you say is doing something I still consider nothing. Something that is ineffective is effectively nothing. Hire another scout instead.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I think my point is what you say is doing something I still consider nothing. Something that is ineffective is effectively nothing. Hire another scout instead.
You don't know if something is ineffective until you actually try it.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:21 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
better marketing to Flagstaff, prescott, Yuma and Tucson. Up here in Flagstaff, where hockey is decently popular with the college team and various high school teams, the Coyotes might as well not even exist. I never see anyone else with Coyotes hats or shirts or jerseys or other paraphernalia. Hell, there aren't even any stores that sell coyotes jerseys or shirts in Flagstaff.
Someone else a while back also proposed renaming the team to the Arizona Coyotes. The Cards did it. Maybe its a good idea, IDK...

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 05:43 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Someone else a while back also proposed renaming the team to the Arizona Coyotes. The Cards did it. Maybe its a good idea, IDK...
It might be a good idea, but Phoenix Coyotes sounds so much cooler.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Let's re-name them Wayne Gretzky's Mighty Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona Brought to You by Wayne Gretzky.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:34 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Let's re-name them Wayne Gretzky's Mighty Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona Brought to You by Wayne Gretzky.

You got it all wrong its:

The National Hockey League's Wayne Gretzky's Mighty Phoenix Coyotes of Glendale Arizona Brought to You by Wayne Gretzky.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:34 PM
52G228PIM*

Quote:

I like that, that's good..

52G228PIM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:39 AM
GalenYote

If you want fans from other sports why not offer a 10% or 20% discount for a valid used ticket to a cardnal or suns or dbacks game. You could expand it to any hockey game like a icecats or asu hockey game. This would give a discount to those who love sports and may not normaly attend a coyotes game or allow someone to upgrade to better seats they may not be able to afford. It can also be used in reverse and get discounts to other events with a coyotes ticket scaned at the door. Kinda like a frequent fan discount. Don't under estimate the power of the discount.

GalenYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:56 AM

Doing something for the sake of doing it is never a smart move, and it's pretty difficult to justify if you want someone to put up the money to do just that.

I do agree the marketing needs to be more creative, but in this market with the current conditions of team ownership we aren't going to see that just yet.

The casual market is definitely the one that they are trying to grasp onto, but I think they fail to recognize that there may be a "lost" market. I would personally fall into that "lost" market, and I am sure there are a number of other fans that went to the games over the years but have slowly lost interest in the team.

I had season tickets just two years ago, and bought more than season tickets worth of games the two seasons previous to that. While my personal vendetta with Doug Moss is just the tip of the iceberg, the team has done nothing to win me back. At this point, I'm not sure if there is much that can be done to win me back, so that is probably why they aren't trying.

I think exposure is the big key to the casual audience. Getting more media coverage so the NHL doesn't seem minor league, it seems like a pro sporting experience that might be interesting. A big part of that is growing the game with young people, so that they drag their parents to the game, then meet their friends at the game when they are teens, and later buy ticket packages when they are working adults. Cultivate the potential fans of the future by exposing them to a sport they may enjoy but not otherwise experience.

It might be a silly example, but why not have the Coyotes tour around to the different schools across the valley and try to promote the team and sport? They could always mask it as a "Coyotes Youth Exercise" program encouraging skating or something. Get the players and personalities to the kids, let them explain how the game is played so the kids aren't confused when they get to the game. Getting some of the younger players like Turris at a high school might attract some attention too, because the kids are nearly peers. He could talk about how he played college hockey and came to the NHL at 19 years old or whatever.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
Quote:
It might be a silly example, but why not have the Coyotes tour around to the different schools across the valley and try to promote the team and sport? They could always mask it as a "Coyotes Youth Exercise" program encouraging skating or something. Get the players and personalities to the kids, let them explain how the game is played so the kids aren't confused when they get to the game. Getting some of the younger players like Turris at a high school might attract some attention too, because the kids are nearly peers. He could talk about how he played college hockey and came to the NHL at 19 years old or whatever.
they already have programs like this. i believe it was boedker who was just at a boys and girls club handing out lunches or something. they support youth hockey, different boys and girls clubs and groups like the boyscouts. they give them TONS of tickets. when we used to sit in the upper level there would alwys be boyscout groups or something else in the other section.

if i was in their marketing group...id hit the sportsbars of scottsdale gilbert tempe phoenix. id hit them hard. make a few in each town "coyote dens" and shower them with tickets and SHUTTLES to and from the game. give them use of one of the empty boxes or glass seats. have stuff on the bus from drinks food to prizes. make it an event. also the college bars around asu. the cost maybe high but stop with the free winter glove give aways in ARIZONA. actually stop with all the give aways. nobody comes to a hockey game to get a free pair of winter gloves (which i have 6 pairs all still in the plastic wrap) or a tshirt. give your season ticketholders one high quality gift and leave it at that. or give a way a big prize at the 2 period breaks.

giving away 40 tickets to a boyscout group really does you no good. for the most part very few of those kids will be back with their parents. i know they are saying "building future fans" but they need fans now.

also for season ticket holders. how many of us are there. like just over 3k. how about some bonuses ... like when they give you your 3 extra games worth of tickets....they be UPGRADES. not tickets in the same price level. like mine are in row G. well how about kicking me back some that are in row a,b or c? or for people in the upper levels give them lowerlevel so they can give away their seats to friends. try to entice people to WANT to sit in those seats. to spend a little extra money. you have the season ticket holder now the goal is to get them to spend more. my gf and i spent a total 1092 bucks on food and sodas. thats roughly 2 sodas one sandwich or burger split and a pretzel. if i got say 15or 20% discount for being a seasonticket holder i might actually buy a drink. I dont think im a cheap person but after dropping over 20bucks on food and some cokes i just cant bring my self to spend 14 bucks plus tip on a double jack and coke. i love to sit back and have a drink and watch the game but only did it 2 or 3 times this season.

having a guy like turris or mueller talk to hs kids is probably not a good idea. its not like either had to crack the books to make it. maybe someone like porter who actually finished school could talk about the value of getting an education instead of jumping into the league. turris can say yeah i went to wisconsin...partied like a rockstar for one year then dropped out to join the yotes. though im sure that would appeal way more to hs kids than porters story. also its hard to talk to a room full of strange kids. i know i wouldnt want to do that.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

In my observation both Coke and Pepsi have failed in their advertising attempts to make the Coyotes a household name.
I travel to different accounts around the Valley and the State and its sad to see the of anything Coyotes when the team had one of these companies as their sponsor and had the poring rights at Jobing.com Arena.

I always displays(usually designed with 12 packs) of the DBacks Cardinals Suns NCAA Basketball Superbowl etc.

If anything Pepsi has done in the past where if you buy a certain soda package you can get a coupon used to cut the price on certain tickets.

I rather we do business with Coke again since they own the market here over Pepsi 10-1.

Get our soda sponsor to get Coyotes displays in Frys Walmart etc even if its for one month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-07-2009, 09:26 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Kind of has a ring to it...

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:29 PM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
Quote:
i like how that rolls of the tongue. serious question though. im sure its been brought up before but why did the team not just stay the JETS. they played at america west arena. it would have still fit and it would keep that history of the team more alive. the phoenix jets.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Another Idea! Giveaway free cars or houses to everyone at least 18 in attendance. Of course we can't say in advance what games will be the give away which means people will have to buy the tickets at any games for a chance.

Didn't Oprah surprise her audience once be giving them free cars?

Didn't the Blues last season pay mortgages for those who attended for only up to a few months?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Another Idea! Giveaway free cars or houses to everyone at least 18 in attendance. Of course we can't say in advance what games will be the give away which means people will have to buy the tickets at any games for a chance.

Didn't Oprah surprise her audience once be giving them free cars?

Didn't the Blues last season pay mortgages for those who attended for only up to a few months?
Posted via Mobile Device
Even if they were giving away Kia's that would be unbelievably expensive. We're talking millions and millions of dollars. Heck just giving 10k people, one $10,000 car each would amount to $100 million dollars!

Cool idea but way way way out of the Yotes budget!